• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Moveset (Possibilites)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He's pretty much exactly like Marth from Melee. Take your answer out of that.

Hyal

Smash Cadet
I was never good with melee!Marth, I feel like such a loser :(

But then again, I was like, eight years old.

Yep.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
If they do change Shield breaker again, I wonder if it will be neither Brawl's or Melee's and rather something new altogether? They'll probably stick with Brawls rather than changing it at all though. Also, although not likely, I hope that they don't change the tipper mechanic.

Clebus

Smash Journeyman
I hope they don't change the tipper mechanic. Wouldn't mind it being bigger though :p

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Tippering with Marth in brawl is easier than it looks. It's about general observation of how his moves actually work. Fair travels from up to downwards, so if you're spacing vertically in mind, then you are always tippering. Moves like ftilt and jab travel low and horizontal before moving up vertically, so characters moving in are auto tippering. Moves like fsmash just don't trend the way most character's move in this game though, so it is a lot harder to be consistent.

Hyal

Smash Cadet
I've been wondering about DS, I honestly hope that it conserves those invisibility frames and a little bit faster landing I think.
If DB can get some of the horizontal recovery from melee it would be nice, but it's isn't something I am really excited about. After all, DB is very practical and it works wonderful, maybe regaining that recovery would mess the actual properties???? We just don't know.

Shaya's post are always so educational.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Marth feels very refined from Brawl. If anything, less lag on D-air and very slight weight adjustment so he isn't too floaty.

Marth's Shield Breaker in Brawl actually felt like it utilized the tipper mechanic perfectly. It's a straightforward hitbox that has a slight reach out. It also gave him more recovery options when fully charged in the air.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
If they do change Shield breaker again, I wonder if it will be neither Brawl's or Melee's and rather something new altogether? They'll probably stick with Brawls rather than changing it at all though. Also, although not likely, I hope that they don't change the tipper mechanic.
I've always assumed it changed in Brawl so Marth's and Roy's neutral specials would appear different as well.
I do feel that the stabbing movement does fit Marth's overall style more than the overhead slash. It just seems a lot more elegant while the other sorta gives off a sense of brute strength, which really matched well with Roy's neutral special (Since he would cause an explosion with the immense strength of his sword).

But that's just me.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
Think they'll keep the invincibility frames on DS?

Maybe a new animation for angled DB? Like, the four red slashes from Brawl of course. But do you think they'll change the animation of green? Like a downward slash that spikes, even? I don't know, I'm just tossing ideas out.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
All of Marth's confirmed attacks:

Down Smash

Counter

Dolphin Slash

Dancing Blade

Also the tipper mechanic is going to return. Sakurai's message for the daily image today is "Marth's sword has a powerful tip! So we gave his sword slashes a sharp look with an emphasis on its edge."

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I never played Project M, but the goal of it is to make all characters equally good, nerfing the powerful characters and buffing the weak ones. Marth is good so he's probably not too changed.

The goal of Project M is to play like/as close to Melee as possible, so Marth probably plays closer to his Melee self in PM. Character balance is more like a secondary goal. Balanced Brawl was/is the mod with the primary goal of balancing characters in Brawl.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
The goal of Project M is to play like/as close to Melee as possible, so Marth probably plays closer to his Melee self in PM. Character balance is more like a secondary goal. Balanced Brawl was/is the mod with the primary goal of balancing characters in Brawl.
Ah, OK, as I said I never played Project M so I don't know too much about it, but it should be obvious since it is project M and M is the first letter of Melee.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Ah, OK, as I said I never played Project M so I don't know too much about it, but it should be obvious since it is project M and M is the first letter of Melee.

No no no. The M stands for Marth for Project Marth. But they still want it to play like Melee.

Go ahead and shoot me. I couldn't resist.

Clebus

Smash Journeyman
Think they'll keep the invincibility frames on DS?

Maybe a new animation for angled DB? Like, the four red slashes from Brawl of course. But do you think they'll change the animation of green? Like a downward slash that spikes, even? I don't know, I'm just tossing ideas out.
I seem to recall reading something about the third strike tilted down meteor smashing in Melee
and one of them meteor smashes in brawl if NOT sweetspotted...
i think

-TAG-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuprSmashKing16
If hitstun is going to be in this game, Marth would really need his tippered Melee F-air back. Tippered F-air to D-air spike all day if that makes a return.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
I recognize 64 has the worst hitstun. I'm saying don't make the hitstun as long as Melee's, and yeah I guess, nor as short as Brawl's.

I mean for the love of Pete if the game is the middleground between Melee and Brawl, the hitstun ought to be as well.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I recognize 64 has the worst hitstun. I'm saying don't make the hitstun as long as Melee's, and yeah I guess, nor as short as Brawl's.

I mean for the love of Pete if the game is the middleground between Melee and Brawl, the hitstun ought to be as well.

But technically the sitstun in Brawl is the same as Melee. Just a programming error made it to where it can be canceled, but otherwise Brawl actually has the same hitstun as Melee. There really isn't a middle ground to find on hitstun. You have 64 hitstun, regular hitstun, regular hitstun that can be cancled via programming error, or less hitstun. Personally I would prefer to stick with regular hitstun that isn't able to be canceled.

Thor

Smash Champion
They definitely should keep the Bair turnaround. I think not being able to turn around in air with his Bair would leave Marth in a vulnerable position.

Edit:

Also, we need to discuss this.

Look at the range on that Counter.
Actually, I'm thinking look at the range of that dash attack, given that the Counter bubble appears to be at least partially over Marth's body... or maybe both now have disjoints that can be noticed in a freeze frame (I'm seeing that the Fox foot is barely inside the bubble - he's about two Fox boot lengths from actually hitting Marth...).

More on topic, don't mess Marth up. I wouldn't mind dair always meteoring (even though I'm a Brawl Pikachu main...) [and not nerfing knockback, knockback would be same for Brawl dair except always knocks downward] but that might be ridiculously good if fall speeds and game physics are closer to Brawl than Melee (being able to jump out and just meteor someone, even weakly, with a decent degree of safety afforded by Brawl's relative "floatiness" would be nuts). And I support Brawl shield breaker for aesthetics, also I think DB should give a boost only once and slow momentum (like Melee) once before being a net detriment to recovery if used (sort of like Doc's cape except slightly better boost for first use). EDIT: This recovery boost resets once landing on solid ground or grabbing a ledge - if hit back out you don't get it back (unlike Diddy's Monkey Flip).

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
I agree with Thor. If they make DB detrimental to recovery after the first aerial use of it, it should keep Marth from having the infinite vertical recovery I mentioned earlier in this thread. Kind of like how it was in Brawl, you see.

Commander

Smash Ace
Regarding Marth's shield breaker, it has to stay the Brawl version. The Brawl version is closer o how he fights in his games, mainly just stabbing, and it makes more sense for the mechanics of Fire Emblem. Lords are always given an anti-armor weapon, usually a rapier, and often stab with it to attack and it is that mechanic which inspired the shield breaker move. It being a slash just doesn't make sense for Marth's character.

SaturnFrost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaturnFrost
So excited hes been announced.His costume looks so dope and he overall looks more masculine.If he plays like he did in Brawl/melee, then hes definitely gonna be one of my mains. I hope they keep his Brawl shield Breaker,It has character and fits his tipping game very well.If the melee S-B returns I wouldn't mind it though I prefer Brawls.

Commander

Smash Ace
So excited hes been announced.His costume looks so dope and he overall looks more masculine.If he plays like he did in Brawl/melee, then hes definitely gonna be one of my mains. I hope they keep his Brawl shield Breaker,It has character and fits his tipping game very well.If the melee S-B returns I wouldn't mind it though I prefer Brawls.
He has to keep the Brawl Shield Breaker. It is how he actually fights in his games. The melee shield breaker was only correct in its effect but not in they way the Falchion was actually used.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I hope this is the Dancing Blade from Brawl.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
HI guys I've never really used Marth, but was wondering, what is the best way to play him? Any general tips?

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
It's kinda different in both smash bros, but in general you have to space in order to get the most utility out of your moves and also prevent yourself from being hit. You also have to switch from playing defensive and offensive throughout a match, from stage control, to preventing yourself from being camped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom