• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Moveset (Possibilites)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Why? Brawl SB is amazing where as Melee SB was situational.

Edit: Oh wait, that feeling when realizing that SB wasn't Side B and was Shield Breaker. lol nvm opposite of what I said.

Commander

Smash Ace
They'll keep Brawl SB no doubt.
Wish they wouldn't though =\
Why is that? I've never felt the Melee SB was super useful and Brawl SB is actually how Marth fights. I'd rather they try and keep the characters close to how they were in their own games.

Clebus

Smash Journeyman
Why is that? I've never felt the Melee SB was super useful and Brawl SB is actually how Marth fights. I'd rather they try and keep the characters close to how they were in their own games.
Because the hitbox is bigger. I really do think it's better. I know it Brawl's charges faster and sweetspots easier, but it's not as good for edgeguarding.

This may well be wrong but hey, I suck at Brawl anyway

Commander

Smash Ace
Because the hitbox is bigger. I really do think it's better. I know it Brawl's charges faster and sweetspots easier, but it's not as good for edgeguarding.

This may well be wrong but hey, I suck at Brawl anyway
Why not just forward smash? It is the exact same arc. The only thing the melee SB had was that you could use that hitbox in the air easily but you also could have used most of Marth's aerials and gotten a similar effect.

Hyal

Smash Cadet
Brawl SB works as it's needed, and that's destroying shields. Now, I am no Melee expert but, personally, I think shield breaker needs to stay as it is.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
As usual, here are the names of Marth's Melee Moveset.

Weak Attacks
1-2: Slash, Counter Slash

Strong Attacks
Upward: Anti-Air Slash
Forward: Sharp Edge
Downward: Low Stab

SMASH ATTACKS:
Upward: Justice Sword
Forward: Dragon Killer
Downward: Whirlwind Blade

Dash Attack: Raid Chop

Aerial Attacks:
Center: Double Slash
Front: Aerial Swipe
Back: About Face
Up: Luna Slash
Down: Half Moon

Special Attacks
Standard B: Shield Breaker
Forward B: Dancing Blade
Upward B: Dolphin Slash
Downward B: Counter

Grapples and Throw Downs
Pummel: Knee
Front: Bounce
Back: Throw Away
Up: Emblem Toss
Down: Slam
Ah, the move names from the "Super Smash Bros. Melee Official Nintendo Power Player's Guide."
I still have mine ♥

Tselel (5805)

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chris_Tselel
Quick update. If you keep up with the Miiverse community for Smash Bros, Sakurai has his own area to post pictures and updates on a regular (daily, I believe) schedule.
Things posted there that I haven't seen on this post yet that are relevant:
Marth's slices have been shaded to highlight the tip to make tippers much easier to see. You can see this in some of the screenshots posted already. Supposedly, that highly shaded area IS the tip. So we can guess about range accordingly.

Sakurai also made a post regarding Shield Breaker. There wasn't too much explanation behind it, but he said something to the effect of the Shield Breaker getting a buff in SSB4 to make it more useful in combat since "not many people use it". The only thing going with the post is Marth with a dazed Megaman with the caption explaining it was just after a SB.

But yeah. Pull out your 3DS's and WiiU's. That blog is our best source of up-to-the-day info right now.

EDIT: Here is a link to the page I was talking about.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/titles/14866558073037299863/14866558073037300685

Commander

Smash Ace
Quick update. If you keep up with the Miiverse community for Smash Bros, Sakurai has his own area to post pictures and updates on a regular (daily, I believe) schedule.
Things posted there that I haven't seen on this post yet that are relevant:
Marth's slices have been shaded to highlight the tip to make tippers much easier to see. You can see this in some of the screenshots posted already. Supposedly, that highly shaded area IS the tip. So we can guess about range accordingly.

Sakurai also made a post regarding Shield Breaker. There wasn't too much explanation behind it, but he said something to the effect of the Shield Breaker getting a buff in SSB4 to make it more useful in combat since "not many people use it". The only thing going with the post is Marth with a dazed Megaman with the caption explaining it was just after a SB.

But yeah. Pull out your 3DS's and WiiU's. That blog is our best source of up-to-the-day info right now.

EDIT: Here is a link to the page I was talking about.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/titles/14866558073037299863/14866558073037300685
Those posts are regularly posted to boards and on the smash bros subreddit there is a bot that posts them with their comment as soon as they occur. I'm looking forward to the shield breaker buff, it was specifically in regards to breaking shields and not necessarily killing power, but that might just be because I suck as Marth.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
I can imagine using Shield Breaker as a setup for a tipper Fsmash if SB has enough power to break shields, especially if the stun of the broken shield lasts long enough to space it right.
Not even. Once you get good with Marth, your spacing basically becomes the best thing. If you space properly, you should always have more than enough time to set up tipper fsmash. Heck, I can Shield break and set up tipper fsmash pretty easily. Just takes some practice. And since the "emphasis on edge" effects have been given to Marth's sword trails, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Even though I loved the way Marth played in melee more, Brawl Marth certainly had 2 better things than him game-play wise by far. Side B and Shield Breaker. Side B for obvious reasons.

The reason I prefer Brawl shield breaker to Melee is because it actually added some variety and situational use to his move set. Sure, melee shield breaker can combo, but honestly melee Marth could combo fairly well without it, and dair or reverse up-B was often the preferred combo air ender anyway. In brawl, you can literally just tap neutral b and provided they don't perfect shield or spot dodge, they lose 80% of their shield. That's actually fairly relevant pressure in a game were defensive play is the preferred choice. All of a sudden they have to spot dodge and perfect shield everything, or get broken and take a fully charged f-smash to the face.

To be honest I'm scared. Them buffing shield breaker from Brawl will make it probably core to his game play, and if it is as it insinuates, where it's shield breaking power is even stronger, I can only shudder wondering how much.

Edit: I would like to note. Yes I do know Melee Marth's Shield breaker did the same to shields, but it was much less practical in that game for a few reasons. One of them being the animation made it more difficult to get a tipper Shield Breaker, where the shield damage amp actually occured. In brawl you didn't need to space accordingly or anything. A tipper would be guaranteed so long as the move hit. Second, a whiffed move in melee can mean anything from a combo to a stock, while in brawl it meant 10-20 percent, maybe some edge games. The risk reward between these were essentially flip flopped when smash went from being slightly offensive oriented to medium-ish defensive orientated, which is why shield breaker suddenly become great for shields and not for combos.

Last edited:

Commander

Smash Ace
It is cool to see how Dragon Killer looks now. Hopefully they have some nice small stages with low platforms.

NameChange

Banned via Warnings
Marth, in my opinion, should be a perfect combination of Melee and Brawl.
He'll be perfect in my eyes

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
All I'd want back from melee is his up throw, up tilt, fair tipper effect. Those things made marth the combo god that he was.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
Just wondering about Dragon Killer. Do you think it will still have the tipper property of Brawl, where when it hits it causes the person to be stunned for just a moment before flying off the screen?

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Just wondering about Dragon Killer. Do you think it will still have the tipper property of Brawl, where when it hits it causes the person to be stunned for just a moment before flying off the screen?
I really liked that. However it was more notable with down smash where the opponent would be stunned for like a second before flying vertically.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
I really liked that. However it was more notable with down smash where the opponent would be stunned for like a second before flying vertically.
I'll never forget my first tipper Dsmash kill. Best feeling in the world, almost as good as Fsmash.

In Melee, I felt that the tippers were not as prevalent as in Brawl. It felt more difficult to secure one.

I'm also going to call out Marth's Dair. The spike is much more difficult to snag in Brawl, yet somehow more satisfying.

NoLife

Smash Apprentice
What would be broken is if Dancing Blade, Dolphin Slash, and Counter were all given tipper properties, but with like the tiniest of hitboxes.

Imagine. You're recovering with Dolphin Slash and Toon Link goes for a gimp. You catch him with the tip of the blade, just as Dolphin Slash ends. Stage spike, take your money, listen to the johns, and go home.

Now that would make him top 4 or top 3 in the game.
Well idk bout brawl that much but in melee and project m his dolphin slash did have tipper properties...which was y if u did up b right next to someone its would just send them up and slightly infront of you but if u reversed it (since he puts his sword slightly behind him before he leaves the ground) its a very powerful kill move

Clebus

Smash Journeyman
Well idk bout brawl that much but in melee and project m his dolphin slash did have tipper properties...which was y if u did up b right next to someone its would just send them up and slightly infront of you but if u reversed it (since he puts his sword slightly behind him before he leaves the ground) its a very powerful kill move
It can be pretty powerful even if you hit them from the front if it's spaced right.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
In Melee, I felt that the tippers were not as prevalent as in Brawl. It felt more difficult to secure one.
I'm guessing you don't grab a lot?

Marth has various throw --> tipper smash near-guaranteed combos on damn near every character, be it Melee or P:M. I will not comment on Brawl since I stopped playing Brawl Marth the moment I got serious about Melee/P:M (by which I mean my best friend and I have like a high profile duel with spectators every month), because that shorter sword REALLY messes with my spacing. But yeah, in Melee/P:M, the confirms are so ridiculous, Meta Knight is actually one of Marth's best matchups. He dies at 60-70% if you grab him.

All I want out of Marth in this game is his old range, on the sword and his grabs. Those were nerfs he didn't need. The moveset I'm sure will remain mostly the same. Maybe they'll even make the dair spike easier again 3:)

Commander

Smash Ace
It is clear from the screen shots that Marth has gone back to Melee ranges. I just hope they go back to the old Melee dair too. I'm really hyped about shield breaker though.

NoLife

Smash Apprentice
It is clear from the screen shots that Marth has gone back to Melee ranges. I just hope they go back to the old Melee dair too. I'm really hyped about shield breaker though.
i hope his sheild breaker goes back to the melee animation...so much more useful

Commander

Smash Ace
i hope his sheild breaker goes back to the melee animation...so much more useful
It won't. The Brawl animation is actually cannon to how he fights and is better for breaking shields. The melee shield breaker isn't as useful as people say it s. The fsmash does the exact same thing on the ground and in the air there are usually better options. I don't think I've ever sen M2K use shield breaker for anything other than edge guarding and it is a redundancy in that area.

NoLife

Smash Apprentice
ive seen him use it quite a bit in edgeguarding but htats about it and the only time ive actually seen it use as a "shield breaker" was by pewpewu (which was sick might i add....dat shield pressure)

Commander

Smash Ace
ive seen him use it quite a bit in edgeguarding but htats about it and the only time ive actually seen it use as a "shield breaker" was by pewpewu (which was sick might i add....dat shield pressure)
Do you have a link o this match? I'd really like to see it.

NoLife

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIYn3TtRr_w 4:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wE0q5Npa44 3:47

i hav seen him do it in better situations than these before but i would hav to do some SERIOUS digging to find those matches again....he uses them (usually against fox) when they r diagonal to him (up and in front of him) to the point to where a fair would tipper them thus sending them straight up and not killing them....usually after a tippered fair when the DI to the top corner

sorry if that didnt make sense

Commander

Smash Ace
What the hell do old M2K combo videos have to do with PewPewU shield breaking in Melee?

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
We already know (Or at least assume based off Sakurai's word) that the new Shield Breaker in Smash4 can break shields better than even in Brawl's. So why not change the animation back? I mean there really was only one use for Brawl Shield Breaker and that was to break shields and if that's going to be covered regardless of how the move looks in the new game, why do you care so much? Melee Shield Breaker had more utility than Brawl Shield Breaker and that's a fact. If you like Brawls animation better, that's fine, but don't argue Melee's Shield Breaker is worse on Marth when that's not the truth.

Do I think that they're going to change it back? No. But that doesn't mean there's a chance they do change it back or even change it to something else entirely. It's unconfirmed so anything can happen.

Commander

Smash Ace
We already know (Or at least assume based off Sakurai's word) that the new Shield Breaker in Smash4 can break shields better than even in Brawl's. So why not change the animation back? I mean there really was only one use for Brawl Shield Breaker and that was to break shields and if that's going to be covered regardless of how the move looks in the new game, why do you care so much? Melee Shield Breaker had more utility than Brawl Shield Breaker and that's a fact. If you like Brawls animation better, that's fine, but don't argue Melee's Shield Breaker is worse on Marth when that's not the truth.

Do I think that they're going to change it back? No. But that doesn't mean there's a chance they do change it back or even change it to something else entirely. It's unconfirmed so anything can happen.
It matters because Marth fights by stabbing through shields in Fire Emblem. Imagine if Mario didn't have the super jump punch and fireball in his moveset. Instead he would have moves he never used before and moves that come from things in the Mario universe that aren't him, like throwing spinies or something. The Melee SB isn't very useful to begin with. I still have not seen it used in anyway other than edge guarding where and Fsmash would have had the same or better result. I was never arguing that the Brawl SB was better from a competitive stand point, I was arguing it as better at the point of Marth's design. We also don't know what the physics or metagame for SSB4 will be like so we can't say that either animation is better competitively.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
It matters because Marth fights by stabbing through shields in Fire Emblem. Imagine if Mario didn't have the super jump punch and fireball in his moveset. Instead he would have moves he never used before and moves that come from things in the Mario universe that aren't him, like throwing spinies or something. The Melee SB isn't very useful to begin with. I still have not seen it used in anyway other than edge guarding where and Fsmash would have had the same or better result. I was never arguing that the Brawl SB was better from a competitive stand point, I was arguing it as better at the point of Marth's design. We also don't know what the physics or metagame for SSB4 will be like so we can't say that either animation is better competitively.
But it's a sword slash from a fire emblem game. It's not like it's some magic laser coming out of Marth's tiara. It's a sword slash which is still cannon.

Also edge guarding is where Marth excels at, giving him another option will only be beneficial to him. And Shield Breaker is better than Fsmash in certain situations.

Commander

Smash Ace
But it's a sword slash from a fire emblem game. It's not like it's some magic laser coming out of Marth's tiara. It's a sword slash which is still cannon.

Also edge guarding is where Marth excels at, giving him another option will only be beneficial to him. And Shield Breaker is better than Fsmash in certain situations.
Marth spends the overwhelming majority of his time stabbing, not slashing. He should have a stabing move and shield breaker especially should be that move because not only has Marth used his rapier to stab through armor, so has every Lord with a rapier until Chrom. The majority of his moveset actually comes from the myrmidon class, a class he only has a weapon in common with. He should have at least one move that comes from himself. Can you tell me about or show me the situation where shield breaker is better than fsmash? I keep hearing it has uses but there is never any evidence.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
It's funny you mention stabbing and slashing, Commander. I think his only stabbing moves in Brawl are Dtilt, down-angled Dancing Blade, Usmash, and Shield Breaker. Marth's Falchion (as its name suggests) is a sword specifically tailored to be for stabbing, so you'd think he'd have more stabbing moves than slashing moves. This doesn't seem to be the case, however.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Marth spends the overwhelming majority of his time stabbing, not slashing. He should have a stabing move and shield breaker especially should be that move because not only has Marth used his rapier to stab through armor, so has every Lord with a rapier until Chrom. The majority of his moveset actually comes from the myrmidon class, a class he only has a weapon in common with. He should have at least one move that comes from himself. Can you tell me about or show me the situation where shield breaker is better than fsmash? I keep hearing it has uses but there is never any evidence.
That means the burden of proof belongs to you. I don't want to go dig through old youtube videos and stream matches to prove a point that's largely assumed correct. If you want I can list off examples where it is better. Like when playing against Falcon or Gannon that move is a guaranteed kill off of hit over 45%. Or playing against species it is sometimes useful when covering the edge and they're recovering in a position where they can't sweet spot the ledge.

Commander

Smash Ace
It's funny you mention stabbing and slashing, Commander. I think his only stabbing moves in Brawl are Dtilt, down-angled Dancing Blade, Usmash, and Shield Breaker. Marth's Falchion (as its name suggests) is a sword specifically tailored to be for stabbing, so you'd think he'd have more stabbing moves than slashing moves. This doesn't seem to be the case, however.
Falchions are not designed for stabbing and Marth's sword isn't actually a Falchion. Falchions are curved at their ends and thus have no point to stab with. The Falchion is actually a long sword and is used for both slashing and stabbing. Marth's iconic weapon before the Falchion is the rapier, which is actually a stabbing weapon.

That means the burden of proof belongs to you. I don't want to go dig through old youtube videos and stream matches to prove a point that's largely assumed correct. If you want I can list off examples where it is better. Like when playing against Falcon or Gannon that move is a guaranteed kill off of hit over 45%. Or playing against species it is sometimes useful when covering the edge and they're recovering in a position where they can't sweet spot the ledge.
Why wouldn't the fsmash work just as well in those situations? It has the exact same arch and gets stronger faster. It isn't that the old SB is totally useless, the biggest problem is that it is a redundancy and doesn't differentiate itself enough from the fsmash and in the air a nair has similar knock back too. I am not saying it is like sing in terms of its uselessness. It just doesn't do enough to make it a better option than fsmash on the ground or nair in the air, in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom