• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Moveset (Possibilites)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I just made this thread so everyone can discuss any changes they would like to see done to Marth. Also, any official changes we might hear about (ex: Link new meteor smash, etc.).

Have Fun!!! :grin:

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
I think if they made Marth just a little bit less floaty, but cut down on that pathetically terrible landing lag from his Dair, he would be better than his Brawl counterpart.

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
from the screens shield breaker looks back, and dimensional sword and counter and dolphin sword so no new b's I would like his shield breaker to have a intense animation

-TAG-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuprSmashKing16
If its to replace any of his moves I wouldn't want any move cut, all of Marth's moves seem good enough since he is a well designed character in terms of gameplay. The things I want improved though is his d-air and partly his recovery, cut some of the ending lag on his d-air and make it easier to spike opponents with it, lost count on how many times I tried and failed to spike someone with it. As for his recovery, either make his Dolphin Slash go slightly higher or make Dancing Blade a part of his recovery, either of the two will work in some way. Oh and one more thing, fix up his dash attack as well.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
What would be broken is if Dancing Blade, Dolphin Slash, and Counter were all given tipper properties, but with like the tiniest of hitboxes.

Imagine. You're recovering with Dolphin Slash and Toon Link goes for a gimp. You catch him with the tip of the blade, just as Dolphin Slash ends. Stage spike, take your money, listen to the johns, and go home.

Now that would make him top 4 or top 3 in the game.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Fix the terrible lag on his dair.

Maybe give him his Melee Shield Breaker back? I feel it being a slash rather than a stab is more useful but wouldn't complain if it stayed a stab.

Other than that I think Marth is pretty ok he's always been good gameplay wise in Smash.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Marth is the type of character who just doesn't need that many changes to his moveset as he has all the tools he already needs. Perhaps change is Utilt to differentiate it Ftilt some.

The idea of tipper Dblade, DS, and Counter is a great idea. However for Dblade I would say only put the tipper on the final attack.

@ The people complaing about the lag of Dair - Don't Dair into the stage and you will be fine, Dair is suppose to be laggy if you land while using it. If you want Dair to be less laggy ask for L-cancel back then as that at least makes more sense and fits better.

Hyal

Smash Cadet
I am really nervous about this. What I really NEED to see is if they nerfed his range again. I mean, even if they did I doubt I would ever drop this fabulous character but...

However, it seems to me that it's pretty much the same. In brawl the tip of the sword *in standing position* goes as far as a bit over his ankle, if I am not mistaken. I believe the pics from today are similar in that sense. I wish I could update a picture but I am on my phone. Although it's pretty early to conclude anything.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Melee shieldbreaker is all I want, if they bring L-cancelling back then that will solve the problem of his laggy dair.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Melee shieldbreaker is all I want, if they bring L-cancelling back then that will solve the problem of his laggy dair.
I prefer Brawl Shield Breaker. It actually looks like a special move. What I would do is just make the sword tip sweetspot even stronger than it already is.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
So good for combos.

Seems like a lot of ppl aren't aware of this. Where you at Ken? Back me up here.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Personally, the main thing I would like to change is his neutral A "combo" and maybe his forward tilt too. Possibly give him a three hit version or a two hit A combo with more knockback. Also, his forward tilt could be a jab forward, then pull his sword up. The main reason I would change these is because they are way too similar (those two and including u-tilt), and it'd just give him some different options.

Awaji66

Smash Apprentice
The Melee Shield Breaker might of been more useful, but I think the Brawl stab one looks more unique/cooler.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
The Melee Shield Breaker might of been more useful, but I think the Brawl stab one looks more unique/cooler.
We don't care about aesthetics, we care about utility, of which the Brawl shieldbreaker has significantly less.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
As usual, here are the names of Marth's Melee Moveset.

Weak Attacks
1-2: Slash, Counter Slash

Strong Attacks
Upward: Anti-Air Slash
Forward: Sharp Edge
Downward: Low Stab

SMASH ATTACKS:
Upward: Justice Sword
Forward: Dragon Killer
Downward: Whirlwind Blade

Dash Attack: Raid Chop

Aerial Attacks:
Center: Double Slash
Front: Aerial Swipe
Back: About Face
Up: Luna Slash
Down: Half Moon

Special Attacks
Standard B: Shield Breaker
Forward B: Dancing Blade
Upward B: Dolphin Slash
Downward B: Counter

Grapples and Throw Downs
Pummel: Knee
Front: Bounce
Back: Throw Away
Up: Emblem Toss
Down: Slam

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I had a crazy thought.

Now just hear me out.

What if they replaced Marth's jab with Dancing Blade, and gave him a new side special?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think Marth is one of those characters who's design is so good, he hardly needs any changes at all.

Though, with those few new poses he has, he could probably end up having a few new attacks. I think his Dash Attack for example could be changed to match more current apperances. Down Smash I would also not mind changed, cause every swordsman has the same Down Smash in Smash Bros...

Clebus

Smash Journeyman
I think his down smash is the same. I recall a picture of him using it on WFT.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, the Dash Attack is the only thing I'd change then.

grizby2

Smash Lord
anyone think B-air will still turn marth around to face the other side?

don't know why people complain about his D-air. I mean sure it has a bit of landing lag, but hey, it comes out FAST. not much time is given to react to it, plus the knockback on a successful spike is pretty big, securing kills easily. that's what makes it a good spike for me.

I REALLY liked how the shield breaker pushed you in mid-air, but its a shame it only pushed you a significant amount when it was fully charged (understandable, since it would be an OP recovery tool otherwise.)
I don't think his moveset should be changed much. he's a pretty balanced character. as far as his recovery goes, it should stay the same since his stage control is rather good for a close-quarters fighter. hes got good movement speed, good attack speed, sweet spots on just about all of his moves, a spike, good air game.... I think hes good to go.

Clebus

Smash Journeyman
Don't see why they'd change his bair.
and i wouldn't mind if they made DS even more extendable

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
They definitely should keep the Bair turnaround. I think not being able to turn around in air with his Bair would leave Marth in a vulnerable position.

Edit:

Also, we need to discuss this.

Look at the range on that Counter.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
That won't be a major issue, considering utilizing Counter to begin with is pretty tricky and requires very keen reaction. Not to mention while it blocks and counters, it's not a game breaker considering it does minimal knockback and damage.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
Consider it more of a gimmick, then. To my knowledge, the range was not to this extent in Brawl or Melee. It's something they've changed, at least.

Clebus

Smash Journeyman
Marth would probably still be able to turn around with Dancing Blade. That's what I usually do anyway.

7dogguy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2466-2487-7066
Just make him exactly the way he was in melee and ill be happy <3

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Hey guys.

Marth's specials do have tipper properties already, except for counter.
Yes, that means there are separate tipper hitboxes that do more damage (sb, db) and/or knockback (ds, db, sb).

Dolphin Slash landing lag is somewhat horrendous, remove triple jump glitch would be a significant buff to him.
His normals being changed is a possibility but they're all really good spacing tools as it is, jab, ftilt and utilt all have their own utilities.
Melee shieldbreaker is better but I agree with the uniqueness sentiment for it's brawl version.

There really isn't much to change. However the balance of his numbers will determine his strength as his staple high-tier ability in Brawl is safety on shield plus amazing out of shield punishment options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom