• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'd prefer the one he's been using in Smash so far with one as an in game unlockable and the other as DLC. But which be which?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Smash made it's own Marth. But it kinda inspired them into making FE13 Marth I think.

XavierSylfaen

Smash Apprentice
I think it's worth noting that Marth is 100% confirmed. CBA to find it but there was a drawing on a whiteboard with a lot of Smash characters that was posted on Sakurai's twitter if I recall correctly. Sakurai confirmed every character in that drawing for Smash 4. I remember Marth was in it, as was Pit and some other characters too.

Sir Sqweege

Smash Rookie
Marth is my favorite character, I main him but i personally feel there is the possibility of him being replaced by Lucina and having the exact same skill set as
marth

although I love playing as marth i could see her as being a favorable replacement for him, I honestly wouldn't mind if she did and there is also the possibility that nintendo will do it to promote fire emblem awakening

EDIT: after seeing the picture on Sakurai's twitter it is basically confirmed he will be in the game but I still wouldn't mind seeing Lucina or Chrom in the game as well

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
That's a cool picture of Lucina, dang. My vote is still for Lucina to be added as an alt of Marth's. His voice is almost light enough that you wouldn't even be able to tell... :p

Speaking of his voice, do you guys think he'll still be Japanese-only out of tradition?

Okysho

Smash Ace
Here is the picture.

That's our prince! Thanks dude!

Concerning Lucina, I think an alternate costume for Marth would be cool, but it's something Nintendo might not do. This is simply because it you compare Marth to Lucina, their colors are essentially identical and in order to accomodate for Lucina's hair (of all things, yes it's the hair) or (debatably, because Marth is so skinny) her body shape, they'd have to draw up a new wire frame and some additional animations, which is a lot of extra work for a project this big (smash as a whole, and now two versions). Now that I think about it, even Marth's awakening costume, being so radically different might require a different wire frame, so that might not even be an alt.

Ultimately as much as I want to see the Marth variations as alternative costumes, it's just not practical production wise for the team to give this kind of attention to EVERY character in smash. Wario is the only one who actually had an alternative costume in the last game besides a simple re-color (if I'm mistaken, please point it out, no Dark Link is a re-color). This is probably because they already had a Wario model on hand from somewhere else and it was easy to slip into production.

Marth's case simply isn't like that, since the only 3D models of Marth that exist are the models in Smash and the fighting animations from the DS games.

EDIT: I have a feeling Marth's voice will remain japanese. This is just a hunch, because most Smash Veterans' voices remained the same from Smash to Melee to Brawl. There is no evidence to support this however. They changed Fox, Wolf and Falco's voice to English, then again they also speak a lot more (with voices) within their games. Fire Emblem (Marth's games anyway) is not known for this (If awakening voices Marth, tell me. I haven't a 3DS)

Sir Sqweege

Smash Rookie
There is no voice acting for marth in awakening, he is referred to multiple times in the game and him being a playable character is merely fan service, but he was never voiced in the game so there is a possibility his voice will stay japanese which is how i hope it stays.

Loachy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Loachy
3DS FC
3780-9091-2349
Concerning Marth's voice, I would like some new voice clips regardless of what language he speaks. I don't care if they bring in his original VA or an entirely new one.
His Brawl voice clips were so dull. Compared to his yells and grunts from Melee, he almost sounds bored. Also, his taunt clip and victory quotes are so old... please don't just recycle them AGAIN.
But then again, Yoshi has gotten no such love so I guess I'll keep my hopes low.

I have a similar opinion on his appearance to how I feel about his voice. He's gotten two redesigns since Brawl. Retaining his original look would be inexcusable!

Personally though, I do prefer his Shadow Dragon appearance. I know some perfectly reasonable points have been mentioned about the lean and effeminate look fits his style and character well, but I just can't find myself liking his design in Awakening. It looks too... I don't know, androgynous? With his previous look at least you could tell that he was a delicate-looking young man. But if, without knowing who he was, someone showed me that drawing of him and told me it was a girl, I would believe them. It's weird, I don't know how to explain it.
All I know is that boots that go up past the knees are not men's clothing.

kalvar

Smash Rookie
I feel like he will most likely be in it, and Ike will probably be replaced by Chrom (the main character of fire emblem awakening) who I love a lot

Awaji66

Smash Apprentice
I think Marth should keep his more slim design. I don't like his Shadow Dragon look at all.

Okysho

Smash Ace
You guys know my stance on Marth's appearances, but let's consider the only evidence we have now, shall we? Take a look at the whiteboard drawing, we have the classic Smash Brothers Marth with the original falchion. Again, brawls alts were all re-colors, and doing actual costume changes is extra time and money that Sora needs to make the rest of the game (and 2 versions)

Hong

The Strongest
It is not really like that.

With a game like Sm4sh, they are going to have a lot of time to work on inconsequential art assets, like they did with trophies, and map them to a character. This is because they are going to play-test the **** out of this game, and if Lucina has the same hitbox and properties as Marth, play testing the character is mostly just to ensure she is graphically sound. It is not like everyone does everything. There will be plenty of artists sitting on their thumbs, told to touch up this or sprinkle on a little bit of that. At worst they need to get voice talent, but it is a small price to pay to please the fans.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I'm thinking Marth will take on his more Awakening like appearance. It may not be all that different but hey, its just what I see them doing. Then again Link didn't really change appearance this time so I may just be blowing smoke.

Okysho

Smash Ace
You sir have put me in my place.

How in Akanea did I forget about trophies? It's been a huge part of the smash series since Melee. Everything I said about the production is almost completely invalid now. Smash is just that special (None of the above is sarcasm). They've got a massive budget, brilliant minds and Nintendo's fantastic quality control. (I've only ever seen any nintendo game bug out once. (it was smash strangely enough))

If I might make amendments to my thoughts on Marth's alts.
I still think his original smash design will be kept, however the only justification I have is that this is more akin to the design in FE3, which is what Nintendo has based all of Marth's character off of (see his brawl trophy info and the codec convo on shadow moses for that source) Also, the whiteboard is his smash design. This same argument I'm also using for the Falchion design.

Nintendo still doesn't have a history of making any super special adjustments to any character's alt costumes besides color scheme shoutouts to different versions. (See Fusion COLORED, but not version, Samus Aran. Eddie the Mean old Yeti DK. Blood Falcon (but he's teachnically a clone) and Black Bull colors. Sigrud colors on Ike) But Wario alone was special and got his plumber's outfit, despite all the artistic assets Lunadis has mentioned.

As usual, I guess we'll never know until we get all the details (which will be either a full character confirmation or the actual games release) but I would love to see a Masked Marth alt. I personally don't think all this increases Lucina's chances though. If that were the case, Shadow could have been a Sonic alt, Sigrud could have been a Marth or Ike Alt (or Roy), you see where I'm going with this.

Maybe it's just something Sora has never thought of in the past. Maybe Namco-Bandai will?

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
As usual, I guess we'll never know until we get all the details (which will be either a full character confirmation or the actual games release) but I would love to see a Masked Marth alt. I personally don't think all this increases Lucina's chances though. If that were the case, Shadow could have been a Sonic alt, Sigrud could have been a Marth or Ike Alt (or Roy), you see where I'm going with this.

Maybe it's just something Sora has never thought of in the past. Maybe Namco-Bandai will?
I'd like to see them do all these alt's you mentioned and more. Although in Ike's case I did like how they gave him all the colors of all the unit types in the 2 Tellius games

NES Falchion

Smash Cadet
That's our prince! Thanks dude!

Concerning Lucina, I think an alternate costume for Marth would be cool, but it's something Nintendo might not do. This is simply because it you compare Marth to Lucina, their colors are essentially identical and in order to accomodate for Lucina's hair (of all things, yes it's the hair) or (debatably, because Marth is so skinny) her body shape, they'd have to draw up a new wire frame and some additional animations, which is a lot of extra work for a project this big (smash as a whole, and now two versions). Now that I think about it, even Marth's awakening costume, being so radically different might require a different wire frame, so that might not even be an alt.

Ultimately as much as I want to see the Marth variations as alternative costumes, it's just not practical production wise for the team to give this kind of attention to EVERY character in smash. Wario is the only one who actually had an alternative costume in the last game besides a simple re-color (if I'm mistaken, please point it out, no Dark Link is a re-color). This is probably because they already had a Wario model on hand from somewhere else and it was easy to slip into production.

Marth's case simply isn't like that, since the only 3D models of Marth that exist are the models in Smash and the fighting animations from the DS games.

EDIT: I have a feeling Marth's voice will remain japanese. This is just a hunch, because most Smash Veterans' voices remained the same from Smash to Melee to Brawl. There is no evidence to support this however. They changed Fox, Wolf and Falco's voice to English, then again they also speak a lot more (with voices) within their games. Fire Emblem (Marth's games anyway) is not known for this (If awakening voices Marth, tell me. I haven't a 3DS)
I don't think awakening gave voices to any of the charcters from past games but on my copy of the game I only have Marth, Roy, and ephiriam. (Totally butchered that name)

Hong

The Strongest
None of the einherjar/phantoms have voices.

Marth and Roy originally had Japanese voices to reflect the fact they came from Japan-exclusive games. Now that Marth has officially embarked onto foreign shores in Shadow Dragon, it is time to be assigned proper voice talent and localization. Nintendo actually had good voice talent in Fire Emblem: Awakening and Kid Icarus - Uprising; a far cry from the shoddy offerings in Brawl and the Tellius games, so I am looking forward to hear what Sm4sh has in store.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
Marth is a tricky lil' swordsman. Honestly, he is the only character that I give a '??%' chance of returning.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Marth, in mine opinion, will most likely return. I will be surprised if he gets cut.

I really hope they will stick with Marth's Brawl outfit. Besides his Smash Bros design, the design for Marth I like the most is this one:
[collapse="Picture"][/collapse]
I would hate to see Marth with his Fire Emblem: Awakening design. Amongst all of the Fire Emblem games, the art style in Awakening is mine least favourite.

As for his play style, I really hope they will keep his move set from Brawl. What I liked most about Brawl Marth was his new neutral special and his revamped Dancing Blade. Although, like others, I was a tad disappointed that his sword was shortened.

Anyhow, assuming Marth does return, he will most likely be amongst mine most used characters, like in the previous Smash games.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I'm curious what kind of visual effects Marth will have as a sword character.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
So, there's been some talk of this idea in some other threads, but this is probably where it should be...

What do Marth fans feel about the concept of Marth's swordplay style becoming more of a fencing/stabbing style instead of the slashing style he currently has?

As I see it:

Pros & Cons
+ Could be a reason to return his melee range
+ The fencing style reflects his nobility
+ Changing his style leaves more room to differentiate sword-wielding characters, both among FE characters and others alike

- No slashing means that hits will have to be more precise
- A change in his style after two games could be tough to adjust to
- The Falchion isn't technically a fencing blade (rapier), though Marth could wield rapiers in FE
So, what are peoples' opinions?

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
If the change isn't too large, I'm all for it. While his play style is great already- one of Smash's best- an increase in precision and range would essentially provide a more exaggerated version of his current design. More range would help his zoning and combos, while the greater precision would give him a bit of necessary challenge to compensate, still in keeping to how he's needed precision in past games.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
What if carried more swords(along with sheathes) in battles? In netral walking and idle standing, he wouldn't have his sword in hand. Instead, he would walk with one hand resting on a sheath waiting for your inputs. Depending on the action will be the sword he uses. One for thrusting, Slicing, and heavy slashes. This would give him more unique moves rather than 15 of them being arch slashes.

Hyal

Smash Cadet
I am not so sure about changing his swordplay. If I have to choose I would say his jab, and even then that attack has really good properties ignoring the fact that I suck at using it.

Forde

Smash Cadet
As a Marth main, I would love to see him return alongside Chrom from FE:A. Personally I think it would be a good addition, seeing as for Melee and Brawl there was Marth and one of the "newer" characters.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Lucina is actually on my top 5 list, but I'd like her to at least be a costume for Marth if she isn't actually added to the roster, I'm kind of thinking Chrom going to be added along with Marth.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
I'd like to see the down-swing on Shield Breaker again for more coverage but, other than that, Marth doesn't really have anything else I'd like to see changed significantly.

Hong

The Strongest
They only used that design because it is easier to headswap with Lucina. I don't see a reason to use his DLC design when his last actual storied appearance was more... respectful to his legacy.

Technically the design you posted is Marth's latest appearance, but I don't really think a DLC that made a few appearances is at all fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom