• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
If he's as fast as Lucina was in that trailer, and if his range is as large as Lucinas in those scans, I think we'll be able to sigh with relief.

We still don't have enough footage of an updated build.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
*sigh* I guess Marth can't stay top tier forever. I'll probably still play him some, but it's gonna feel weird.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Figures. God d**mit, Sakurai. Marth in Brawl was already well-designed, and you do this garbage. I WANT to find the positives and hope he gets SOMETHING good before release, but it's starting to look like this Marth is what we'll get.

....Thanks, Sakurai. Because of you, I'll probably have to find a new main. AGAIN!

Last edited by a moderator:

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
I REALLY HOPE that Spike Spencer Reprises his role has English Voice actor for Marth I Loved his voice it fitted so well in my opinion

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Tbh, I did not get that impression at all, and people are seeing what they fear out of paranoia.
Your voice of reason conflicts with my prejudged notions which by sheer fallacious reasons will remain embittered until I see and play otherwise (we have a major tournament in Australia at the end of August that's getting the E3 demos provided to us, it'll likely be a 100+ man Smash 4 tournament if I'm hearing correctly). It'll also obviously remain this way past my personal opportunity to play it until we see the game released and my fears are doused.

I was around pre-Brawl too, there were some fears Marth would get hit hard, and then just before release we were given the "9/10" by the official game guide thingie and we were like "safeeeeeee" and were pretty happy with what we saw on release too.

Stompu

Smash Apprentice
In the hopes (and kinda expectations at this point) that the SSB4 roster will be the most balanced one yet, I'd be perfectly happy if Marth was a middle of the pack character. Low tier and I might think twice before maining

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Tbh, I did not get that impression at all, and people are seeing what they fear out of paranoia.
This. The fear is feuling an even more negative perception of him.

And on the plus side, Smash bros Italia uploaded a video of Marth kicking ass in FFA. Seeing full hop F-air into F-air into SH F-air made me think this isn't gonna be as bad as we think.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
....After much main depression, I analyzed one of Ken's Treehouse matches and I'm...really starting to question the shorter sword claim. It actually looks like it's more or less Brawl Marth's range (Yes, I've seen Brawl Marth hitboxes. Yay Brawlbox ;D).

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
....After much main depression, I analyzed one of Ken's Treehouse matches and I'm...really starting to question the shorter sword claim. It actually looks like it's more or less Brawl Marth's range (Yes, I've seen Brawl Marth hitboxes. Yay Brawlbox ;D).
Its More Noticeable on the 3DS Version It is smaller by a good amount not butter knife small but a quite bit bigger then that

In the hopes (and kinda expectations at this point) that the SSB4 roster will be the most balanced one yet, I'd be perfectly happy if Marth was a middle of the pack character. Low tier and I might think twice before maining
Of course the Roster Is Balanced we do have Wii Fit Trainer after all

Another K-2L Survivor

The Zebesian Swordsman
US / Somewhere in deep space. Probably the former.
NNID
The_Last_Taguel
3DS FC
2681-0963-8959
A lot of new screenshot's for 3DS and Wii U, highlighting our three newly announced fighters were released today. Marth is actually in one or two of these, and you can get a good look at the Falchion's length in them!

http://challengerapproaching.tumblr.com/post/92734015618/new-wii-u-screens
http://challengerapproaching.tumblr.com/post/92732149943/new-3ds-screens

EDIT: An infinitely better link for all the pictures, found on the Lucina boards: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860953

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
A lot of new screenshot's for 3DS and Wii U, highlighting our three newly announced fighters were released today. Marth is actually in one or two of these, and you can get a good look at the Falchion's length in them!

http://challengerapproaching.tumblr.com/post/92734015618/new-wii-u-screens
http://challengerapproaching.tumblr.com/post/92732149943/new-3ds-screens
Why does it look like Marth's Falchion got smaller... maybe it's just the 3DS rendering making it look smaller.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I believe there's a new down tilt animation, that would definitely be shorter range "comparatively" because he just doesn't seem to lunge forward with it. I saw a few pictures of Robin (the one with robin kirby) and it looked like they were doing a down tilt stance (and I noted how the non-levin sword looks really stubby/short in 3DS).

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Your voice of reason conflicts with my prejudged notions which by sheer fallacious reasons will remain embittered until I see and play otherwise (we have a major tournament in Australia at the end of August that's getting the E3 demos provided to us, it'll likely be a 100+ man Smash 4 tournament if I'm hearing correctly). It'll also obviously remain this way past my personal opportunity to play it until we see the game released and my fears are doused.

I was around pre-Brawl too, there were some fears Marth would get hit hard, and then just before release we were given the "9/10" by the official game guide thingie and we were like "safeeeeeee" and were pretty happy with what we saw on release too.
Ya pretty much this, I'm worried he's gonna get the shiek treatment this time around, he dodged the bullet last time but we'll see what happens.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I believe there's a new down tilt animation, that would definitely be shorter range "comparatively" because he just doesn't seem to lunge forward with it. I saw a few pictures of Robin (the one with robin kirby) and it looked like they were doing a down tilt stance (and I noted how the non-levin sword looks really stubby/short in 3DS).
If you're talking about Marth's D-tilt, it's identical.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I don't think he'll fall. People fear that he's going to be thrown out of the higher tiers, yet don't think about what it is that makes Marth so good in the first place.

His combos are outstanding. He's very balanced between speed weight and power including Tipper damage as well as his great capabilities on both ground and air. He's the perfect all-round character.

His only real downfall (that I think anyway) is his lack of knock-back with non-tipper hits. A lot of times you might find yourself edge-guarding a guy to his death. But Marth's so good at that anyway, it's almost like he was built for being a moving wall. Plus it works for me because I usually jump off the stage to finish what I started anyway.

I don't think Marth won't go anywhere past the 12th tier

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
12th tier? I think you mean 12th placement.
I'm not certain. Bit too early to know for sure.

Marth's high tier status in Brawl probably had a lot to do with his grab game (i.e. free kills and great early percent damage rack up) and would probably otherwise be looking at around Peach level otherwise (if not a bit better). He was also lucky to not have any debilitating chain grabs/locks against him.

It's very easy to take those two things for granted.
Without those two things, Marth would suffer a lot with even hitting people. All of his moves in Brawl are not safe on hit unless tippered, and even then that's 20-30% upwards on some of the heavier weights. Untippered aerials get punished (especially when decayed) well into the 50-90% bracket (I can tell you my Wario horror stories).
Having slower moves hurts when they're even punishable on hit. His whole Brawl pressure game comes from the variance/potency of his spacing game, what separated MikeNeko from you or me was his timing/reactive play. Without these things Marth is very vulnerable to rush down. Jumping is already a weakness to Marth's play style. Marth's anti-rushdown from the ground involves dtilt, dancing blade and the fear of pivot grab, dancing blade cannot be used in this way anymore, I don't know about dtilt's potency, the respect we get from the ground for this anti-rushdown is due to the nonreactable sh/fh fairs, which at the very least, SH fair won't be worth respecting with what we currently see.

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
12th tier? I think you mean 12th placement.
I'm not certain. Bit too early to know for sure.

Marth's high tier status in Brawl probably had a lot to do with his grab game (i.e. free kills and great early percent damage rack up) and would probably otherwise be looking at around Peach level otherwise (if not a bit better). He was also lucky to not have any debilitating chain grabs/locks against him.

It's very easy to take those two things for granted.
Without those two things, Marth would suffer a lot with even hitting people. All of his moves in Brawl are not safe on hit unless tippered, and even then that's 20-30% upwards on some of the heavier weights. Untippered aerials get punished (especially when decayed) well into the 50-90% bracket (I can tell you my Wario horror stories).
Having slower moves hurts when they're even punishable on hit. His whole Brawl pressure game comes from the variance/potency of his spacing game, what separated MikeNeko from you or me was his timing/reactive play. Without these things Marth is very vulnerable to rush down. Jumping is already a weakness to Marth's play style. Marth's anti-rushdown from the ground involves dtilt, dancing blade and the fear of pivot grab, dancing blade cannot be used in this way anymore, I don't know about dtilt's potency, the respect we get from the ground for this anti-rushdown is due to the nonreactable sh/fh fairs, which at the very least, SH fair won't be worth respecting with what we currently see.
Yes, I meant placing lol but with what you said is a lot of reason why I actually have faith in Marth's abilities in this game. There's gonna be a game changer with Marth. It's just a matter of time before someone finds the new thing that makes him tick. But I have a feeling a lot of it will involve a potency in ground game. Dancing Blade will most likely play a huge part in that. But yes, we'll have to see. Because who knows, Sakurai could just neglect him in response to Lucina hype. If that's the case I'd be very surprised. Sakurai seems like he likes Marth and FE in general too much to neglect those characters (including the father of FE).

The only FE character that I think needs a lot of improvement is Ike. Marth just needs a game changer and I have this crazy feeling that Marth will come out and surprise us all, just like in Brawl.

Last edited:

XionKai

Smash Cadet
I wonder, when will Marth will be Un Nerfed for new smash.. Can he be like brawl Marth, or no.?

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I wonder, when will Marth will be Un Nerfed for new smash.. Can he be like brawl Marth, or no.?
I'm not sure if this makes much sense but I can see a better way to divide Marth and Lucina. I'm just not sure if that would make Marth too powerful.

Instead of Marth's game being all about the Tippers, make tippers serve as critical hits. For instance, non-tippered his f-smash can do 12% with a tipper being 18%. Obviously, that's already in effect with Marth's game. But what if his knock back for non-tippers was increased to a point that he's able to be effective without spacing, and that he would merely "benefit" from spacing and getting tippers?

With Lucina, her damage is all evened out. So instead of a 12% f-smash it can be a 16% f-smash. However, her knockback would be identical to Marth's knockback on non-tippers.

It's hard to explain because it's almost exactly the way he plays now. But I'm implying that Marth's knockback is increased on non-tippers to compensate for the higher overall damage that Lucina would be able to deal. If we get rid of the need for spacing with Marth, he'd be just as good of a choice as Lucina and would be really evened out with her.

If spacing is Marth's entire game, then Lucina would hypothetically be the better choice since her abilities would be much more reliable, even to the best Marth users. So I'm trying to say give Marth a chance to stop relying solely on getting tippers and allow those tippers to serve as a bonus.

Last edited:

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
Marth was the coolest one in Shulk's trailer. God I would love to see a 3D made anime with Marth, Link, Shulk and all...

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Marth was the coolest one in Shulk's trailer. God I would love to see a 3D made anime with Marth, Link, Shulk and all...
This. On so many levels. While I'm interested in Shulk now, that fight was epic. Period.

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
I'm sad to hear that Math has been nerfed EVEN more in Smash 4. =( He was my second main in Melee, then in Brawl he was too different and worse so Kirby took is stop. He's not even on my list for Brawl. He's probably not gonna take a spot on my main list for 4 either.

(aw man, EdgeTheLucas got here before me) XD

Why are there no comments on Marth's amazing dnce?

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Eh, now that my salt's gone(well, actually it was when I woke up), screw it. Nerfed or not, I'm sticking with Marth. Unlike alot of folks here, I came into Marth from Brawl rather than Melee, so I realized how much more used I am to the Brawl range.

Yeah. Dumb. I know, XD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom