• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
That's not the point I'm trying to make.

Marth is a fencer. His first weapon is a rapier. I think his design should reflect that. If you delve into in-game stats and try to base his design off of that, then I think you're looking too deeply into this.

By heavy combat, I don't mean that he can't take hits or be on the front lines. Look at the link I posted and you'll understand what I mean.

He's lightly armoured and moves quickly. A bulkier looking Marth doesn't reflect what he does in game either in smash brothers, or (as you've shown) in Fire Emblem. He's a dodger, not a tanker. Ike is, that's why he's heavier and Marth is light-mid weight.
How exactly are myrmidons and mercenaries heavy combat fighters and Marth isn't, if Marth is functionally the same when they've had equal amounts of experience?

Okysho

Smash Ace
How exactly are myrmidons and mercenaries heavy combat fighters and Marth isn't, if Marth is functionally the same when they've had equal amounts of experience?
I just facepalmed so hard. I'm talking about their fighting style, not their ability to fight on the front lines. Please read my posts. Think real life, not Fire Emblem.

Marth is a fencer. He fights like so:

Oguma is a knight. He fights more like this:

Even Navarre has a fighting style more like a samurai than a fencer. (I can't find a good image representation)

All I'm saying is that Marth's current smash brothers design represents his fencing style best. The Falchion is a long straight blade, it's not a broadsword, it's not a greatsword, it's functionally a rapier in it's design:

Please note the comparison. This has nothing to do with in-game stats!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah, but it isn't a Falchion. :rolleyes: I kinda see your point though Okysho.

Okysho

Smash Ace
Yes I also know what an actual "Falchion" is, but thanks for understanding. Personally I don't know how the Japanese took this:

and came up with our legendary dragon-slaying sword of light.

Personally though, I'm still 100% behind the original design of the Falchion for our Prince. I was actually pretty disappointed when FE11 sported a new design.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
You know how Nippon is with Foreign Languanges. To them, it sounds cool, despite its actual meaning.

Also want to point out that according to the fan video, "One More Brawl Taunts," the Falchion's length was shorten from Melee to Brawl. I don't get why, but I say it should have a longer length. Same with the older Link's Master Sword.

Hmmm, it seems that almost all of Nintendo's swordsmen and swordswomen wield straight, pointed blades. I barely recall any curved blades.

Okysho

Smash Ace
It's interesting that you mention that, since the Katana is actually a curved sword. hmm... With the exception of some random Fire Emblem weapons, I can't think of any staple Nintendo characters who have curved swords. Maybe it's because they look cooler? who knows...

Yeah I noticed that Marth's sword was shortened. It bothers me, not so much gameplay wise (although it does a bit) but I find that this again, clashes with the fencer-esque design of Marth.

The Master sword is actully longer than the Falchion, but IRL if you compare the length of a Bast-ard sword to that of a Rapier, they both have about 40 or so inch blades, so the Master Sword and Falchion should technically be the same size.

Isprayaxe

Smash Apprentice
Some people may not like this, but maybe switching marth's jab to a combo type move similar to ike or link.

I always thought his normal jab was quite boring

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
If he had a combo for his jab it would kinda take away the unique feeling of his side b.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

This is from FE1. Wish Marth would get an attack similar to this in Smash. It looks wicked as ****.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
As long as Sakurai puts Marth into Smash 4 and not Martha, I'll be happy.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No it isn't his Final Smash, even though it's his critical hit animation, though it's his second finishing animation. The other one IS his Final Smash though. Would be cool if he'd vary the attacks, or uses that as a last blow to his Dancing Blade attack.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
Marth's move set should stay just the way it is with maybe a few minor edits for balancing.

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
Ahhhh... Marth... My only true main....

Marth has a very good chance of still having an appearance in SSB4, even though some other blue-hair might take the spotlight. *Cough*chrom*Cough*
And hey, if Marth makes a 3rd appearance, they could try that 2nd outfit deal that they did with Wario, and use his Awakening look.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ahhhh... Marth... My only true main....

Marth has a very good chance of still having an appearance in SSB4, even though some other blue-hair might take the spotlight. *Cough*chrom*Cough*
And hey, if Marth makes a 3rd appearance, they could try that 2nd outfit deal that they did with Wario, and use his Awakening look.
Rest assured. Marth is the only FE character that we know is going to stay,

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
Nah, I'd be OK if chrom took his spot.
But really, does anyone agree with me on this 2nd outfit thing I thought of?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Marth wont get cut for Chrom though. That'd be silly.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Just though of something.

Should Marth speak English now? He's not Japan exclusive anymore.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The only reason why Marth spoke in Japanese was because, at the time, his appearances in the Fire Emblem games were exclusive in Japan. However it's worth noting that Marth has spoken English prior to the release of Super Smash Bros. Melee in the form of the dubbed Fire Emblem OVA released a few years earlier. It's worth noting that's actually the first time Marth appeared in the western territories and not Melee, contrary to popular belief. But the first reference to Fire Emblem in the west actually appears in Kirby Super Star in the form of the "sword" item found in the Great Cave Offensive, which was originally called the Falchion in the Japanese version.

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
The only reason why Marth spoke in Japanese was because, at the time, his appearances in the Fire Emblem games were exclusive in Japan. However it's worth noting that Marth has spoken English prior to the release of Super Smash Bros. Melee in the form of the dubbed Fire Emblem OVA released a few years earlier. It's worth noting that's actually the first time Marth appeared in the western territories and not Melee, contrary to popular belief. But the first reference to Fire Emblem in the west actually appears in Kirby Super Star in the form of the "sword" item found in the Great Cave Offensive, which was originally called the Falchion in the Japanese version.
And he sold it. :troll:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think there should be an option to chose between English and Japanese voices. That way everyone is happy.

Anyone remember the Poopstorm over the SF team's English voices?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
English Marth is overdue now. Was sort of skeptical pre-Awakening, because well, we only got Shadow Dragon in English. So that''s 50/50 in modern day Marth games where he's speaking English and Japanese-only. Shadow Dragon alone might not be enough to justify him speaking English, but after Awakening, I'm not too sure. Roy at least should keep his Japanese voice I feel.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I have an idea. Let Takamaru inherit the Japanese voice acting. It's more fitting to him.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think there should be an option to chose between English and Japanese voices. That way everyone is happy.

Anyone remember the Poopstorm over the SF team's English voices?
I remember that people liked the Starfox crew's voices in Brawl.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
One thing I am kind of nervous about is Marth being severely nerfed in the next game. There's always that possibility hovering overhead, which would be disappointing. Marth is probably one of the very few characters that has a great blend of attributes, and to see that get a wrench thrown at it would be a bit discouraging.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
They nerfed the tipper a little in Brawl, and also reduced his range, but Marth will always stay Marth. I think looking at it now, Marth and Falco are always gonna be amongst the 'better' characters due to their design. Only thing that could kill Marth is that he'd have no KO power whatsoever in the next game. Also, it's likely they'll nerf his grabs a lot. But am not really expecting much yet.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well, it's one of those things that just causes worry. It was provoked in Brawl due to, as you said, Marth's tip and range were reduced, but were compensated by other stuff like having an improved recovery. The next game gives me some worries that the nerfing will be provoked even further and will make Marth a "Melee Kirby" quality character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dude, you can play high tier Marth in two games already. I risk that Diddy will get mad nerfs to. Yet I'm not worried cause I do not play the characters for the tier, however it does help in a way, I cannot deny that. Only thing I know is that I'll main Diddy no mather what.

Marth is pretty safe due to ridiculous range, tippers, and disjointed hitbox and his play revolving around speed. As said before, he's a character almost designed for a high tier placement. And if worst came to worst, he'd be like Brawl Sheik. Still good for ranking up damage, but not being able to finish too effectively. As long as the tipper isn't reduced to, Brawl Falcon Knee like properties, be sure that Marth will at least be above-average-tier. Unless the game physics will really work against him.

Same with Falco. That stupid laser will forever be central in his gameplay.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Marth's gameplay is solid overall so as long as he isn't given young link's dinky sword he should be fine.

More pressing is if he gets replaced by Krome (spellign error I know) from the latest game, who uses the Falchion sword as well. Personally I don;t think that will happen but we've gotta entertain the possibility. And order it's favorite pizza.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Marth will stay in Smash forever. If Chrom is gonna replace anyone, it's Ike. And I'd hate him forever for it.

SSB4 Challenge/Discussion #14: A Dual Of Two Looks For The Prince

The Fire Emblem franchise has been with Nintendo since 1990, when the first game released on the Famicom in Japan. The main character of that game was Marth, the prince of the land Altea. He would be the first lord to have a double appearance with the third game within the series four years later on the Super Famicom, which consis...ted of a remake for the original story as well as a sequel to it. Marth was one of the more popular characters to come from the series and when it came to Fire Emblem finally being added to the Super Smash Bros series with Melee, it is fairly obvious that he would have to be included.

While Roy was from a game coming a couple months after the release of Super Smash Bros Melee, Marth didn't have this luxury. He latest game was in 1994, around six years prior. It is safe to assume he was added because he was the original lord and because of his popularity, and he basically was, but you could also have considered him the Japanese exclusive retro character (at the time). Since Marth had no new game from 2001 to 2008 his appearance was still practically the same in Super Smash Bros Brawl.

However since the release of Brawl Marth has returned in three new games. There were remakes of his two games on the Nintendo DS called Shadow Dragon (2008/2009) and Heroes of Light and Shadow (2010). He would also appear as a DLC character in Awakening (2011/2012), the latest game in the series on the Nintendo 3DS. While appearing the same, all three of them made changes to how Marth looked (with Shadow Dragon and Heroes of Light and Shadow being very close). With these recent games, there is a very high chance Marth will get a makeover in how he looks in Super Smash Bros 4. That is, if he does in fact return.

The challenge here is simple, which version of Marth do you feel should be in the upcoming Super Smash Bros game? Shadow Dragon and Heroes of Light and Shadow? Or Awakening? Why? Explain.

My answer:

I would easily say Shadow Dragon and Heroes of Light and Shadow, since he was in fact the main character of those games and not just there as DLC. It gives representation to the DS games and, after all, they are his latest games. Unless the character hasn't been seen in a while, like Leaf or Lyn, or unless it is an alternate costume for the said character I don't see the DLC forms of any character really being chosen. Especially since Awakening could easily be repped by characters ACTUALLY from the game such as Chrom, Lucina, and Robin. This is the main reason why I see the Radiant Dawn look for Micaiah if she comes in or Ike if he stays.

The Awakening look should be Marth's alternate costume though in my opinion.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'd choose the Awakening one. It suits his personality better. Plus, he doesn't look girlish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom