• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
First.

I'm gonna be, the very best, like no one ever wasssssssssss!

Hopefully he's god tier this time around, and not just only in the beginning.

Metakill

Smash Journeyman
I thinks Marf will still high/top tier... He's the only with Falco that have good placing in Melee and Brawl, the character design is pretty solid to always be a top tier.
Anyway, Marth is like... "the must return/be" in Smash 4 talking about FE?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Marth will return, no doubt. Face of his series, blah blah.

I was worried that we'd get his crappy Shadow Dragon design in Sm4sh, but luckily FE: Awakening gave him a redesign just in time:

It's much more feminine, which is the only way Marth should be. Looking forward to it.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
well I don't mind the change of it from an overhead slash to a stab-not only does it match his swordstyle better, but it gave him a reasonable range nerf without removing what made him good.

I hope they give him a longer sword, and weapon.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I'd be thrilled if they gave him this appearance:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Let's try to add the original 'manly' Marth for a smash or two.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Anybody remember how long we had to wait for Marth to be confirmed in Brawl? I know alot of us got worried after the Ike confirmation and then nothing else FE related for awhile.

I hope he get a new neutral b. And RCO lag, PLEASE be not in the new game.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
They will go with New Mystery of the Emblem appearance , the point that people are missing with the new DLC design that they were made to fit the class and the model, it's easier than making a whole new model for them....that's why they got a redesign it's not for the hell of it.

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
There are plenty of "Manly" Swordsman from Fire Emblem, Marth is not only a graceful swordsman but also royalty. I believe he should remain that way as it fits and compliments his overall design and moveset the most in my opinion. I'm hoping they use his Awakening design.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
I'd be thrilled if they gave him this appearance:
I like your tastes.

But I wonder how Falchion will be designed now, considering that it's been redesigned since FE11.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Choosing between his standard bishonen vs 'manly' appearance is difficult. I also want him to have a romantic subplot in the adventure mode with Zelda. I also would like him to take MK's place as godtier (continue unrealistic wishlist).

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9

But I wonder how Falchion will be designed now, considering that it's been redesigned since FE11.
Marth weilding the Falchion would most likely have the original design. If Krom is playable, he will have the new design, but I doubt they'd give Marth the new design if Krom isn't playable. The reason it looks like it does in Awakening is because it was broken and reforged sometime between the two games. It would've never looked like that for Marth.

...Just realized you were actually talking about the FE11 design and not the FE13 one. (Since that's what you actually said). Yeah it'll probably be the FE11-12 look.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
His moveset is fine, but maybe he'll hold his sword differently yet again. Just look at the pose he takes in FE13. Maybe he'll get a new Forward Smash or dash attack cause of it? I also would've suggested making the Shield of Seals part of his moveset, but that was before FE13 came.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Not important, but I remember that the Nintendo Power Player's Guide had a name for every attack that the characters had and used in Melee. Here is Marth's.

Weak Attacks

1-2: Slash, Counter Slash

Strong Attacks

Upward: Anti-Air Slash
Forward: Sharp Edge
Downward: Low Stab

SMASH ATTACKS:

Upward: Justice Sword
Forward: Dragon Killer
Downward: Whirlwind Blade

Dash Attack: Raid Chop

Aerial Attacks:

Center: Double Slash
Front: Aerial Swipe
Back: About Face
Up: Luna Slash
Down: Half Moon

Special Attacks

Standard B: Shield Breaker
Foward B: Dancing Blade
Upward B: Dolphin Slash
Downward B: Counter

Grapples and Throw Downs

Pummel: Knee
Front: Bounce
Back: Throw Away
Up: Emblem Toss
Down: Slam

More on the way.

SnowCold

Smash Apprentice
i hope he actually has safe moves on shield. honestly i just want more shield stun. brawl's shield stun is annoyingly low. melee shield stun is good. i do NOT want 64 shield stun though, the stun was ridiculous in that game... everything was safe on shield. other than that i just hope marth stays pretty much the same... maybe have a bigger tipper hitbox like in melee

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Marth will return, no doubt. Face of his series, blah blah.

I was worried that we'd get his crappy Shadow Dragon design in Sm4sh, but luckily FE: Awakening gave him a redesign just in time:

It's much more feminine, which is the only way Marth should be. Looking forward to it.
Sorry people, but I prefer this one too. Ther other makes me remind of Ike. Also, Marth should have a femminine design (he is famous for that)

Ven447

Smash Rookie
NNID
MinatoYuki
3DS FC
2492-5365-3559
Marth is to epic to be taken out i mean he has been in 2 smashes so far he is very advanced to get use to and come on he is MARTH! he has good B moves and smash attacks the only problem is his final which goes horribly wrong sometimes for me but besides that he is one of my best Swords Character

A Marth Nerf seems unlikely, that and impossible. His overall design is very dexterous: Quick character, disjointed hitbox, damage and knockback enhancing mechanic that rewards proper spacing. Marth is like the Chun-Li of smash, he's always gonna be a solid character. He doesn't need any nerfs as he does require some skill to use properly.

Okysho

Smash Ace
I missed this forum...

Personally, I think Fire Emblem 12: Heroes of Shadow and Light, has the closest Fire Emblem design to that of his Smash Brothers design. Though I do like the Awakening design (FE 13), but it doesn't have the same impact as the Smash brothers design. I hope they actually keep the classic smash brothers design.

Falchion design: WHY?! WHY INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS WHY?! You had to redesign it... But then again nothing could be worse than the English localization for the names... (I'm still pissed at what happened to Shiida) Think about this though, the redesign for the Falchion sucked so badly, even Marth's FE 11, 12 and 13 art doesn't depict him with it. Since the Falchion is his weapon though, I'm hoping they're sticking with the original design.

buff/nerf: For a rapier like blade it bugged me that Link's Bast-ard sword (The type of Sword that the Master sword is, I'm not insulting it) was longer than the Falchion. Realism aside, it still worked I suppose just aestetically a slightly longer (1-2 inches) on the blade would be nice. Other than that, Marth's power is quite balanced. People complain that he was a tad overpowered in Melee, and I think it's a fair claim in some cases. Brawl gave them the chance to refine Marth's power, unlike some really broken new characters...

moveset: Nope, it's pretty well perfect.

Good to be back. Good to see I didn't need to create an "official Marth support thread"

Our prince will return. I'm sure of it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No doubt he'll return. He's the Hero King, the Star Lord. :marthbrawl: No doubt he'll be back with the kind of love he's been getting from IS after Brawl. It's like: damn, we need to keep Marth as relevant as possible to the series to keep him in Smash. Cause really, the last 3 games all had Marth. And no doubt he'll also show his face in SMT x FE for Wii U. Also thought his FE12 design was the best. Shame I never could play it (DS emulators never work on my pc, dunno why).

Marth was a little nerfed in Brawl though, but fact remains, that after MetaKnight, he has the most favorable matchups on the roster. He just is literally outclassed a lot by MetaKnight. I do like him most in Brawl though, and hope most characters are designed after him. Brought up to his level, instead of him needing nerfs to get to the rest of the cast's level.

Also think his moveset is perfect as it is actually. Cause really, Marth's moveset might be one of the best designed in Smash. Not only it suits the character and represents Fire Emblem very well, it's also really effective.

LunchPolice

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LunchPolice
3DS FC
5456-0847-1584
I hope Marth gets his FE13 redesign. Not necessarily because it's cooler, but because I like variety. I like how each Smash game seems to represent an era of Nintendo with Melee having the OOT versions of Link and Young Link while Brawl has TP Link and WW Link. I like how Melee had Marin from Link's Awakening as a trophy while Brawl has more modern trophies like Strikers Mario. It's like each Smash game is a snapshot of that period of Nintendo so the more up-to-date the characters look, the better IMO. Besides, it's good for sequels to be different. Wasn't it exciting following the dojo to see how characters had changed visually?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes it was. And his FE13 design does has it's certain charm, but I liked the manlier Marth from the DS games. He's originally named after the God of WAR, Mars. So a even more feminine design would look kinda out of place. Then again, Lucina would fit better as an alternative for Marth if he looks more feminine... :rolleyes:

Let's just put it like this: I like them to use the style is made by the original creator of the character. Or at least, the most significant.

Just how they used the Super Metroid model for Samus, and the DKC-styled models for the Kongs for example.

:phone:

LunchPolice

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LunchPolice
3DS FC
5456-0847-1584
I think being ridiculously girly is sorta Marth's thing. Being a total pretty boy seems to make him stand out as a character, while the Shadow Dragon look (while quite cool-looking) makes him seem a little more generic. I'm still happy with either one though as long as it's not the same design we've seen in Melee and Brawl.

Also I wish Samus would get her more recent looks because they are totally badass.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Shadow Dragon's is kinda generic yeah. But FE12's design is pretty nice.

His girly looks may make him stand out, but that's more cause of Smash than Fire Emblem. :p

:phone:

Okysho

Smash Ace
The thing is with Marth, he's not a heavy combat fighter like a mercenary class, knight class or even a myrmidon class (all fire emblem classes if you don't know what I'm talking about) By heavy combat, I mean this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCA_heavy_combat

Marth is a fencer. I think the effeminate aesthetic helps to illustrate this. His armour consists only of a breast plate and pauldrons, he's a quick character who either uses hit and run tactics or really quick light strikes to overwhelm his opponent before delivering a finish.
This is why I hate the FE11 design in comparison to the rest.
Marth is also a pretty lanky person. The armour adds a lot of extra bulk.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He's a little better armoured than myrmidons in general though. They wear practically no armour at all, but I see where you're coming from.

Marth does take a lot from the fighting style of myrmidons / swordmasters from FE4 in his Smash moveset though. Up B and Side B are heavy inspired by FE4 in particular.

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
The thing is with Marth, he's not a heavy combat fighter like a mercenary class, knight class or even a myrmidon class.
Marth in Shadow Dragon at Level 30 on average has 41 HP, 19.5 STR, 21.5 SPD, 27.3 LUK, 12.8 DEF. Ogma, a mercenary at level 10 promoted has 50.5 HP, 18 STR, 21.5 SPD, 13 LUK, 13 DEF. Navarre, a Myrimdon at level 10 promoted has 48.4 HP, 14.8 STR, 26 SPD, 18.4 LUK, 10.6 DEF.

After rounding, the stats:
Marth: 41 HP, 20 STR, 22 SPD, 27 LUK, 13 DEF
Ogma: 51 HP, 18 STR, 22 SPD, 13 LUK, 13 DEF
Navarre: 48 HP, 15 STR, 26 SPD, 18 LUK, 11 DEF

Ogma and Navarre have way more HP, and Navvare has more SPD, but Marth has more strength and dwarfs them in Luck. So Marth can't take as many hits, but he dodges more often and does more damage when he hits.

New Mystery after rounding:
Marth at Level 30: 48 HP, 22 STR, 25 SPD, 28 LUK, 15 DEF.
Ogma at Level 10 promoted: 55 HP, 23 STR, 26 SPD, 18 LUK, 16 DEF
Navarre at Level 10 promoted: 48 HP, 20 STR, 28 SPD 22 LUK, 14 DEF

This time however, Marth has the Shield of Seals, giving him + 2 to every stat apart from HP. So:
Marth: 48 HP, 24 STR, 27 SPD, 30 LUK, 17 DEF.
Ogma: 55 HP, 23 STR, 26 SPD, 18 LUK, 16 DEF
Navarre: 48 HP, 20 STR, 28 SPD, 22 LUK, 14 DEF

Sure, in both cases Marth can't go any further, while Ogma and Navarre have 10 more levels to grow, but when the levels are equal, Marth can do whatever the other two can do. If Ogma and Navarre are heavy combat fighters, so is Marth.

Okysho

Smash Ace
That's not the point I'm trying to make.

Marth is a fencer. His first weapon is a rapier. I think his design should reflect that. If you delve into in-game stats and try to base his design off of that, then I think you're looking too deeply into this.

By heavy combat, I don't mean that he can't take hits or be on the front lines. Look at the link I posted and you'll understand what I mean.

He's lightly armoured and moves quickly. A bulkier looking Marth doesn't reflect what he does in game either in smash brothers, or (as you've shown) in Fire Emblem. He's a dodger, not a tanker. Ike is, that's why he's heavier and Marth is light-mid weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom