• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth, Wii Fit Trainer and Villager amiibo discontinued - deconfirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Well, I think I ought to run down to MOA to see if they have the Marth, Villager, and WFT Amiibos just to be sure. I mean, I hope this is fake since Marth is pretty popular, and I fear for the Amiibo of Lucina because of this.

Last edited:

WIldBam

Smash Apprentice
it's been just over two weeks and there are already discontinuing a quarter of the amiibos? That's completely insane! they were sold out! I figured Nintendo would discontinue them when they reached the highest point of market saturation that they can possibly get, you know, like normal companies do, not when they are so high in demand that they sell out in two damn weeks! That's just an idiotic business practice.

Strofirko

Smash Master
Worth mentioning that these 3 amiibos don't give costumes in mario kart 8.

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
I'm still holding out hope that this is a miscommunication, but if it's true it's really stupid. Marth sold out everywhere I checked before the game even released. And now they're never making any more. Why would they even bother making him if they're not making enough for anyone to buy him? I want to give them my money, but they were all gone by the time I checked, and now they're never making more.

The Villager's the most baffling of them, though. His series is super popular; why would they cancel him?

WIldBam

Smash Apprentice
The Villager's the most baffling of them, though. His series is super popular; why would they cancel him?
Not to mention, that out of the three of them, I see the villager as actually being the most useful in future animal crossing installments compared to Marth and WFT in their series. I mean, obviously wii fit won't have any amiibo integration now or in the future.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Hearing this made me create a list of amiibo I think may be discontinued before the rest of that wave:
-Marth
-Villager
-Wii Fit Trainer
-Captain Falcon
-Little Mac
-Shulk
-Meta Knight
-Lucario
-Shiek
-Zero Suit Samus
-Ness
-Mr. Game and Watch
-R.O.B.
-Duck Hunt
-Dr. Mario
-Dark Pit
-Lucina
-Mii's (off topic but do you think Mii's will get amiibo's?)
Reasoning:
Marth, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager already gone
Captain Falcon and Little Mac have not had a game in a while (5 years let's assume)
Shulk, Meta Knight, and Lucario are retailer exclusive (Gamestop, Best Buy, and Toys r Us (U.S. only, no idea what equivalent for other regions would be)
Shiek, Ness, and Zero Suit Samus are honestly random guesses
R.O.B., Mr. Game and Watch, and Duck Hunt due to being retro (I actually should buy a duck hunt amiibo)
Dark Pit, Lucina, and Dr. Mario due to clone status
Everyone else I think may be available awhile (assuming nothing else comes up)
EB Games australia has the Marth, villager and Wii fit trainer amiibos left in stock.... Probably not for long. These prices on the amiibos are going to skyrocket like the gc adapters have >_> ugh

Last edited:

Squadaloo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RodRodney
Hearing this made me create a list of amiibo I think may be discontinued before the rest of that wave:
-Marth
-Villager
-Wii Fit Trainer
-Captain Falcon
-Little Mac
-Shulk
-Meta Knight
-Lucario
-Shiek
-Zero Suit Samus
-Ness
-Mr. Game and Watch
-R.O.B.
-Duck Hunt
-Dr. Mario
-Dark Pit
-Lucina
-Mii's (off topic but do you think Mii's will get amiibo's?)
I think this list is mostly right, although I'd add all Fire Emblem characters and probably the 3rd party characters as well. Fire Emblem doesn't nearly have the recognition of many of the other Nintendo franchises, and if Marth is truly discontinued despite being one of the more famous characters, I doubt the rest would last. 3rd Party ones would likely be tied to some sort of contract between companies so I could see them being much more limited.

I do not believe Captain Falcon will be as limited time though entirely because he gives a costume in Mario Kart 8 so there'd be more than one game to use it in.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I think this list is mostly right, although I'd add all Fire Emblem characters and probably the 3rd party characters as well. Fire Emblem doesn't nearly have the recognition of many of the other Nintendo franchises, and if Marth is truly discontinued despite being one of the more famous characters, I doubt the rest would last. 3rd Party ones would likely be tied to some sort of contract between companies so I could see them being much more limited.

I do not believe Captain Falcon will be as limited time though entirely because he gives a costume in Mario Kart 8 so there'd be more than one game to use it in.
And then there's Little Mac. Better grab him before they discontinue him as well ;_;

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Would a petition help Nintendo make more of these amiibos?
Maybe. Probably. I dunno man. This really stinks tho... I'll probably just buy some to keep in a collection and sell them later, if I happen to have seconds for certain characters, I might as well sell them and make some quick dollars. But if there is a petition, I certainly hope Nintendo will listen and keep making these :ohwell:

Last edited:

Frenzy

Smash Apprentice
I wanted Marth but oh well. Glad I got Wii fit and Link. Going to pre-order all the ones I want in the future.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Nothing's gonna help, short of a limited re-release in five years or something.

Seriously, two weeks and gone? What kind of business is that?

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
****s sake Nintendo.

You've been advertising these amiibo for half a year and now you've discontinued three in under two weeks, causing panic buying and crafty amazon sellers to double(or in Villager's case triple AND a half) the original price.

You've been producing Smash Bros. Gamecube controllers and hyping that up since E3, yet you don't make enough adapters to even distribute at launch day.

It's like you want to flop.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Nothing's gonna help, short of a limited re-release in five years or something.

Seriously, two weeks and gone? What kind of business is that?
Perhaps they didn't expect it to be as popular as it is now. Who knows.

#BringBackTheAmiibos
If anyone could post that on Twitter, maybe Nintendo will notice.
Don't have twitter, but I hope that this becomes a thing worldwide :)

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
****s sake Nintendo.

You've been advertising these amiibo for half a year and now you've discontinued three in under two weeks, causing panic buying and crafty amazon sellers to double(or in Villager's case triple AND a half) the original price.

You've been producing Smash Bros. Gamecube controllers and hyping that up since E3, yet you don't make enough adapters to even distribute at launch day.

I know, right? It is one of the most hyped features of Smash (correct me if I'm wrong), and they're gutting a QUARTER of what is currently out?

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
****s sake Nintendo.

Why can't I like this more than once?....:(

Last edited:

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
That's just weird. They were just released and now completely discontinued? God that's all sorts of hassle.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
EB Games in Australia has this yearly 24hr online sale for Christmas where they reduce prices like crazy. Hopefully the amiibos will go from 16 -17 dollars to $8. I will order every available amiibo in the sale. Not even kidding x_x

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Space on the shelves isn't unlimited, so it is not surprising Nintendo will discontinue the least popular amiibos. That said, they should open an online store to sell the amiibos directly from Nintendo, because why not? On the bright side, amiibos being discontinued means it is unlikely that any of them will have any major functionally in future games, which is great.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Nintendo...why?

It's....*sigh*

I still haven't gotten my Villager amiibo, because they didn't have it last time I checked.

I'm so happy.

Yay.

Nintendo makes great decisions.

KoM

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ReiTsubomi
3DS FC
2638-0679-1408
If this is real, its ********. I didn't want to have to pre order every single one I wanted in the future but now I have to. They didn't plan this out at all considering most Amiibo don't do anything for most games. I was mostly buying them at this rate to support characters I like and that they make kickass decorations.

Frenzy

Smash Apprentice
I honestly have fun training them, and using them as the extra slots when I play with friends. I even "secretly" enjoy playing with them by myself, whereas in the past I found CPU's boring, because they force me to not use my same old strategies. I was skeptical at first but now I like them.

They often beat my friends and me so I think we get better at smashing as they do.

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
No sequel to Wii Fit U. Goodbye WFT.

Marth looks hideous. We're making a prettier version to release alongside Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem which you can unlock a fabulous looking tiara. Look out for it.

Villager looks too scary for our young players. Friendly versions coming soon to be announced in Spring's Direct highlighting Animal Crossing U.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
In German Amazon 47 Marth's are there for like 15€ (~20$?)
And in shops where I live no one buys them...

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
What's with all these highly questionable business decisions lately? Barely making any GC adapters and refusing to manufacture more despite obvious demand, discontinuing certain Amiibos after only two weeks... What's next, extremely limited New 3DS shipments when it comes west-side?

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Nintendo has officially discontinued Marth, Wii Fit Trainer & Villager amibos. Sorry folks these are gone forever #Amibo#Nintendo#soldout
Nintendo has officially discontinued Marth, Wii Fit Trainer & Villager amibos.
Nintendo has officially discontinued Wii Fit Trainer
Wii Fit Trainer

This is literally unacceptable. Now I'll have to order one online the next time I have more money. :mad:

D

Deleted member 245254

So wait...the game just came out here in Japan and as far as I could tell there was no shortage of Marth. I even returned to the store at the end of the release day to check stocks and Marth was still aplenty.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
So wait...the game just came out here in Japan and as far as I could tell there was no shortage of Marth. I even returned to the store at the end of the release day to check stocks and Marth was still aplenty.
Probably has something to do with that it came out in Japan like... a day ago? :p I'm pretty sure this so far is a rumor and has yet to be officially confirmed. So i'd say we wait until we get word from Nintendo themselves..... Until then, we should probably start preordering for the next wave :p

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
As it seems in Finalnd, not many seem to buy Amiibos, so I might still grab these before they might be gone. Still, what a bummer to read this. Makes no damn sense.

D

Deleted member 245254

Probably has something to do with that it came out in Japan like... a day ago? :p I'm pretty sure this so far is a rumor and has yet to be officially confirmed. So i'd say we wait until we get word from Nintendo themselves..... Until then, we should probably start preordering for the next wave :p
Guess I should start shipping Marth Amiibos for twice the price ;)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ferblantier

Smash Apprentice
I'm not going to believe any retailer's word. It seems like a miscommunication, like with the adapters. It would seem out of character for Nintendo to discontinue something with no prior warning, and this early.

Probably just to boost their perceived scarcity to gamers and collectors. A ton of people to whom that info is relevant are going to go out there and snatch up Marth, WFT and Villager amiibos now. I also wouldn't rule out the characters being in frequent rotation. I can't imagine a fan favorite like Marth would have his amiibo sell poorly and get dropped like that.

I was under the impression they would be cycled, not discontinued. Still am, but I'll be sure to pick 'em up real quick.
That's what I was thinking, too. It would be impractical for them to be producing amiibo for all 48+ characters simultaneously; stores only have so much shelf space. Some would just get rotated in and others out, eventually to return.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom