• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth matchup discussion

Guilhe

Smash Ace
I’ll make it today, but I think we should think a little harder and find a better counterpick against Marth than FD. I’m thinking Pirate Ship. Can we avoid Marth’s Dair with counter dive? Or would it just reset the situation? What about Marth’s counter diving?

metroid1117

Smash Master
I’ll make it today, but I think we should think a little harder and find a better counterpick against Marth than FD. I’m thinking Pirate Ship. Can we avoid Marth’s Dair with counter dive? Or would it just reset the situation? What about Marth’s counter diving?
Pardon me for asking, but what is Counter Diving? Countering and then having the animation canceled by hitting the water?

Guilhe

Smash Ace
I wont be able to go to anime sorry xP!!!

And cmon, why not tell these us that ike is cool xP!!!!!!

but now stoping with off topic

I cant see ike x Marth being 7-3, just no. I know ike has disavantages, but not that much! I still think spaced fairs can roally screw a fair :D!
Just look at the SWF character ranking, this is like an alternative reality, here Ike has some serious issues.
Pardon me for asking, but what is Counter Diving? Countering and then having the animation canceled by hitting the water?

Submerging while swimming by using counter.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Pirate Ship is banned here so can we think of a general CP that's not banned everywhere? -.-
I thought the new stage list had Pirate Ship listed as a CP and not CP/Banned?

Anyways, in all honesty, if I'm facing Marth, I might consider Delfino since we can go through the main stage when aethering. Also, Norfair may possess some advantages...but it's gonna come down to who can use platforms better.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
I'll test my counter diving suggestion. It should be a nice bait for drowning Marth, if it works.

EDIT: Testing delayed due to a week full of tournaments

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Marth matchup

Playing this matchup as Ike is a test on your spacing skills. Not only Marth has faster and comparably long ranged attacks but also his is more mobile in both air and ground. Basically, this matchup plays as both characters trying to zone each other: Marth should be zooning Ike at his tipper range while Ike should be aiming for either being closer or farther than that.

At Marth’s tipper range Ike can’t respond to anything Marth throws at him as the jab won’t reach and any other attack will have too much lag, so the Ike player should be patient and defend himself against the Fairs and Dancing Blades before resuming the approach or retreat.

At close (boxing) range Ike still finds some resistance such as Dtilt, grab and Dolphin Slash. The two fist options are quick and have decent range, but both of them are overwhelmed by Ike’s jab, the third one can punish badly executed jab canceling with powerful knockback. Still, if the Ike player jab cancels accordingly, he can avoid or even bait the DS for further punishment. If the Marth player is playing safely then he should prefer responding out of shield, so grabbing Marth is an definitely an alternative and can lead to the Bthrow -> Dash attack combo at mid to high percentages (I need more precise confirmation on which percentages this combo works).

Further away form Marth and his tipper range is the range of aerials such as Ike’s Fair and Bair. Much differently from other matchups though, the range of Ike’s aerials does not outrange those of Marth by much, Ike is much more susceptible for being punished by poorly spaced aerials. Because of that, aerial approaches require much more accurate use here than in many other matchups.

As for recovery, Marth is at advantage, mainly because he does it more safely than Ike. Marth has superior horizontal aerial movement and can stall his fall with DB1 in order to mess up with the opponent edge guard or juggle attempts. His weakness lies in his lightweight, vulnerability from below while in the air and lack of options when recovering from the ledge of the stage*. For that reason, it is recommended that the Ike player to focus on KO’ing Marth without risking leaving the stage. Be careful with your choice of KO move, as Marth can counter it.

And going off-stage is certainly something the Ike player should avoid, as Marth is an authoritative juggler and ledgeguarder himself. He can perform a ledgehop counter to prevent Ike from grabbing the ledge with Aether. If the Ike has DI’ed up he’ll be sent up and close enough from the stage to survive, from there he can use QD to return to the stage. The Marth player will have enough time to grab the Ike and throw him back to the ledge though. Do not attempt to hit Marth with Aether while he is on-stage, or you’ll be sent up if he counters it (assuming you’ve DI’ed correctly) and will have to defend yourself against Marth’s powerful aerials, probably without any jumps left.

By the other hand, Marth has some issues with finishing Ike while-on stage. All of his smashes need to sweetspot in order to kill at viable percentages and all have a long ending lag.

Summary:
While this fight plays close to neutrality while on-stage, off-stage it does not. The Ike player needs to avoid being pushed to the edge of the stage in order to win. I evaluate this matchup as an 60:40 advantage to Marth, for his capacity for pushing Ike off-stage and dealing great portions of damage, or flat-out killing, out of that.

*: Read the following thread written by Steel 2nd for more information over Math options by the ledge: [LINK];

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Recommended stage counterpick and banning

Counterpick

Pirate Ship
Ike lives forever at this stage and has a superior water game when compared to Marth. Basically, by choosing the stage you’ve eliminated Ike’s weakness off-stage.

Brinstar
Short blastzones, Lava that aid poor recoveries, more options at the ledge such as using Aether through the traversable main platform when recovering.

Final Destination
The added length of the stage gives Ike a larger room for error to deal with Marth’s pressure.

Banning

Battlefield
The platforms just make recovery harder for Ike. For example, after having Aether contered by Marth, if Ike uses QD he’ll land over a platform, Marth can then easily setup a juggle below.

P.S.: Sorry for the triple post.

Top Bottom