• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth in teams, overall and how to use him well in teams.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I think he sucks in teams compared to a lot of characters, so I often use my Pit or Snake instead. He can't tank. He can't get early kills without tippers. He doesn't have projectiles.

I'm sure we can all agree that Pit and Snake are superior to Marth in teams, so there's no need to explain why.

Emblem Lord told me stuff Marth can do in teams, and I've watched NEO do well in teams with Marth, and I've even been very successful in teams with my own Marth. However, I see almost no reason to continue using Marth in teams when I have a good Snake and Pit as well. I want to use Marth in teams because he's more fun, but I also want to win, so...

I think Marth only does well with characters that are good at handling 2v1 situations, such as Meta Knight. My best teams accomplishments as Marth were achieved when I teamed with teh_spamerer or dmbrandon's Meta Knights. I went Snake or Pit when I teamed with Atomsk or Snakeee because Marth didn't work well with ZSS or Dedede.

Marth can camp well in teams if his partner can handle 2v1, but what if my partner isn't a Meta Knight? I know Marth is good at sneaking in tippers and edgeguards, but once again, I find that to be reliant on a partner that's good at 2v1 situations. If Marth himself is put in a 2v1 sitaution, he's almost certainly screwed because his moves have too much recovery time.

How can I get Marth to be at least as good as Pit and Snake in teams?

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
I think he sucks in teams compared to a lot of characters, so I often use my Pit or Snake instead. He can't tank. He can't get early kills without tippers. He doesn't have projectiles.

I'm sure we can all agree that Pit and Snake are superior to Marth in teams, so there's no need to explain why.

Emblem Lord told me stuff Marth can do in teams, and I've watched NEO do well in teams with Marth, and I've even been very successful in teams with my own Marth. However, I see almost no reason to continue using Marth in teams when I have a good Snake and Pit as well. I want to use Marth in teams because he's more fun, but I also want to win, so...

I think Marth only does well with characters that are good at handling 2v1 situations, such as Meta Knight. My best teams accomplishments as Marth were achieved when I teamed with teh_spamerer or dmbrandon's Meta Knights. I went Snake or Pit when I teamed with Atomsk or Snakeee because Marth didn't work well with ZSS or Dedede.

Marth can camp well in teams if his partner can handle 2v1, but what if my partner isn't a Meta Knight? I know Marth is good at sneaking in tippers and edgeguards, but once again, I find that to be reliant on a partner that's good at 2v1 situations. If Marth himself is put in a 2v1 sitaution, he's almost certainly screwed because his moves have too much recovery time.

How can I get Marth to be at least as good as Pit and Snake in teams?
Cause Marth + MK = second best team (First is fire punch AKA weege + didi).
Seriusly, mach tronado to shield breaker is ****.
Marth got 2 great tools in team matches, his Dolphin Slash and his counter. Not to mention his standing grab range is VERY useful in teams

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
How about this Inui. At whatever tourney I see you at next, after our MM, we'll play together in teams friendlies, and you can be Pit or Snake, etc.

Marth can ZONE out very well, and also should handle the majority of edgeguarding. To use Marth well in teams, you need EXCELLENT spacing, and should effectively zone out one of your opponents. Considering there will be an exceptional amount of action on the stage, it will be even more difficult for your opponent to retreat, and even easier for your to punish. Marth can also follow up on passes well.

Basically, isolate one foe, and use the close combat to demolish them quickly. This is generally effective when I play teams.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Even I use Snake when I play teams, Luke. Sadly Marth doesn't really have the tools to be as good in teams as a lot of characters, as you stated :(

When I do use Marth, though, I wh0re counter and it almost always works.

Like you said though, he really needs a good partner. Snake actually makes for an alright partner, too, and I do alright with DK and Rob as partners

Inui

Banned via Warnings
How about this Inui. At whatever tourney I see you at next, after our MM, we'll play together in teams friendlies, and you can be Pit or Snake, etc.

Marth can ZONE out very well, and also should handle the majority of edgeguarding. To use Marth well in teams, you need EXCELLENT spacing, and should effectively zone out one of your opponents. Considering there will be an exceptional amount of action on the stage, it will be even more difficult for your opponent to retreat, and even easier for your to punish. Marth can also follow up on passes well.

Basically, isolate one foe, and use the close combat to demolish them quickly. This is generally effective when I play teams.
I hate to sound like a prick, but I'm very sure my Marth is better than yours in teams, LOL. I'd still be willing to do this in order to see if you do sstuff I find intelligent, since I find I can randomly learn good things from players of any level. Some of my best Marth tricks come from a friend of mine that's a Soul Calibur pro, and he sucks at Smash.

Yeah, that's the stuff I know already. Sadly, I like attacking, and I can't do that with any of my teams characters and I always team with very aggressive players(besides teh_spamerer, who's in the middle).

Isolating someone is hard in Brawl because every team has a Meta Knight or Snake on it, and they're everywhere at once. This is another reason I think Marth has issues in teams; you're going to play one of his counter match-ups basically every time since every team has a Meta Knight, Snake, Dedede, or combination of any two of them on it in the top teams.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
i don't know, i really think marth does well in teams, AS LONG AS HE'S WITH A PARTNER WHO CAN KILL. snake, d3, ect.

marth can rack up damage pretty easily, and mispacing something won't get you heavily punished in teams as if it was singles.

but yeah, that's just from my experience, i do really good with snakes, i won B.I.O. (a west coast major tournament), with Meep, who's the best snake in norcal

∫unk

Smash Master
i don't know, i really think marth does well in teams, AS LONG AS HE'S WITH A PARTNER WHO CAN KILL. snake, d3, ect.

marth can rack up damage pretty easily, and mispacing something won't get you heavily punished in teams as if it was singles.

but yeah, that's just from my experience, i do really good with snakes, i won B.I.O. (a west coast major tournament), with Meep, who's the best snake in norcal
agreed.

snake/ddd/even someone like lucas does better than another marth/falco/lucario/wario/etc.

marth is very good at adjusting to a situation because of all the good options he has... doesn't need to be in a certain position like a ddd.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I usually team with a Meta Knight or Dedede, so I guess I should do all right in teams with Marth.

I've just found that I do better these days with Pit and Snake.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
My Marth and my Sonic, but this is irrellevant is great in teams.

As aforementioned, Shielld Breaker is incrediblle on teams, because if teamed up with something, allmost anything else, it's an auto-shielldbreak. Tipped fsmash ftw (unlless your partner is stronger).

Aeriall Dancing bllade's first hit never kills, so if your teammate gets hit with a killlmove and you see it, you get into the air and stop him from flying off.

Dancing Blade ending with upB sets aerial teammate up beautifully.

But I guess it depends on the team (in terms of humans). Sometimes, it's about the way you react to certain characters on your team. Marth + Lucario for the win.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
I usually team with a Meta Knight or Dedede, so I guess I should do all right in teams with Marth.

I've just found that I do better these days with Pit and Snake.
trust me marth is very good in teams you just have to throw his advantages and amplify them with your partners character which should be metaknight

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You suck pretty bad at writing threads. You don't post right off that the character sucks compared to so and so. That's ********.

You are trying to motivate the community and get them pumped for the article. Starting off like that makes people shut down mentally and not want to read what you have to say.

Don't make any more threads Lucas. It's not your thing dude.

Real talk.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
lol @ EL ODing. Just let it rock. Inui doesn't post in the Marth boards much. Give him time, he'll learn.

Also Inui, you're probably right that your Marth is better than mine in teams, because you play teams more, but I assure you, I can carry my weight in a Teams match very well, and I know what I'm talking about.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
You suck pretty bad at writing threads. You don't post right off that the character sucks compared to so and so. That's ********.

You are trying to motivate the community and get them pumped for the article. Starting off like that makes people shut down mentally and not want to read what you have to say.

Don't make any more threads Lucas. It's not your thing dude.

Real talk.
I'm not going to lie or say false things to give Marth players the same false sense of how good the character is like you did, which may have severely crippled a lot of players, including me.

Thankfully, I have realized how limited Marth is due to the mechanics and style of the game and can move on from there.

Why don't you actually respond to the topic and educate me, since you're the Marth guru?

Pierce7d said:
Also Inui, you're probably right that your Marth is better than mine in teams, because you play teams more, but I assure you, I can carry my weight in a Teams match very well, and I know what I'm talking about.
I've gotten top 3 in teams at 100% of the tourmaments in NJ with 1st place almost every time M2K wasn't there(besides one time I teamed with Atomsk against Lord Knight and teh_spamerer and two other times where NinjaLink/D1 beat me and Atomsk and me and Keitaro, but those are only three times out of many many tournaments), including when Azen, Chillin, and Chu showed up. I even did amazing in teams twice in MD/VA where the competition is supposedly the hardest. I'd say I'm good in teams. Even the MD/VA people that hate me and say I suck can't deny my teams performances without sounding like idiots because I place high in teams even in their region.

UNFORTUNATELY a lot of those teams wins were with Snake and Pit and not Marth because I have too much trouble handling Meta Knight in teams. That's probably my biggest problem. I find him harder to handle in teams because he's everywhere at once.

I've never even seen you play in teams or place high in teams, so I don't know what to say about you being able to carry your weight well and knowing what you're talking about besides "prove it." ;)

Which I hope you do.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
This is what I don't get.

Talking about how Marth is limited doesn't do ****. Talking about how to get past those limitations is what gets **** done.

All you tend to do is complain about how Marth is limited. Sooooo...the answer is a simple one.

Play another character. You want to win consistently and you know Marth isn't capable of this. So play Snake or something. Because the garbage you constantly spew isn't doing anyone any good.

Also...why the hell would I waste my time on someone who doesn't take anything I have to say seriously? We both know you don't think much of my opinion and that's fine. But don't patronize me by asking me to educate you when we both know you have no intention of listening.

You'll just piss me off.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I think highly of your opinion when it comes to Marth. I don't think highly of you as a player because you don't do anything as a player. There's a difference.

Marth is a lot worse than he was in Melee and he is limited. Recognizing his flaws and that he got worse will only make you better. Haven't you watched Gimpyfish's vid?

Umby

Smash Master
I personally end up grab releasing alot when I play Marth in teams. It seems to be effective for setting my opponent to get hit by any of the other two characters on the field, but I haven't tried this in a tournament setting.

Counter is a beast in doubles, though.

Top Bottom