• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's most unhelpful moves

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
What do you think Mario's most unhelpful moves are?

My top 3 are:

Dtilt–I never use it and seems slower than it should be

Dash attack–I use it sometimes but it doesn't help me too much

Up B–As an attack I almost never use it but it's good for recovery obviously

Notice:

F.L.U.D.D. is GOOD! NOT BAD! Don't you dare say it's one of Mario's unhelpful moves!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I rarely use the D-tilt. It just doesn't have enough range.

Honestly, I think Mario's Up-B is very useful as an attack, if somewhat situational. It's a fast option out of shield (need Tap jump on), and it has very good priority and very safe knockback. If I recall, multihit attacks are good against diminishing returns. The reduced landing lag on this attack is very very nice. If someone isn't expecting it either, I'll also use this as a last ditch effort to juggle someone. I personally think people don't use this attack quite enough.

9crm10

Smash Rookie
I disagree, Mario's Up-B is very helpful as an attack and F.L.U.D. isn't that good. Sorry to burst your bubble but loads of people agree. ;)

Death Hunter52

Smash Cadet
marios up b is a combo breaker, it was in melee and is in brawl. it has an instant attack and a disjointed hit box. very good way to surprise your opponent. amazing speed, and i think that his most useless move is FLUDD!!!! lol jk (i said jk plz dont hurt me!) ((fludd is one of the things that make mario, if you dont think so then how are you doing in turnaments? and if your doing good then any pointers? fludd > space animals/lucas/ness/ike/lucario/pit(if used right)/and any move that has charging time (DK/ike/others i dont feel like naming) cape>space animals/DK/ROB/mario/toon link/lots of others and his worst move would be f tilt( it has not much range and limits follow up attacks). d tilt has combo potential if the opponent is startaled and dosent konw wtf is going on.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I disagree, Mario's Up-B is very helpful as an attack and F.L.U.D. isn't that good. Sorry to burst your bubble but loads of people agree. ;)
FLUDD >>> Up-B, and I even tried to say Up-B was useful as an attack.

Ridiculous gimping potential is too good. FLUDD prevents people from grabbing the ledge, making them easy to intercept.

Even Boss will tell you that FLUDD is good.

Veggi

Smash Champion
All Mario's moves are pretty useful but my least used would be dtilt. I used think FLUDD was useless, then I noticed I was holding down the whole time every time I used it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What do you think Mario's most unhelpful moves are?

My top 3 are:

Dtilt–I never use it and seems slower than it should be

Dash attack–I use it sometimes but it doesn't help me too much

Up B–As an attack I almost never use it but it's good for recovery obviously

Notice:

F.L.U.D.D. is GOOD! NOT BAD! Don't you dare say it's one of Mario's unhelpful moves!
I use Mario's Up B against edge guarders if I'm coming from below or when someone tries to crowd me when I shield and they have a decent amount of damage.

I would agree with the Dtilt though as Dsmash is always a better alternative.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Dtilt's useless?! Dtilt does 0-40% regardless of DI. Fludd's the most useless attack, all it does is make them wet.

Help!

Smash Journeyman
i like up b i dislike fludd end of story

i only use fludd to mess around and experiment during tourneys and it actually can do some stuff like getting lucky actually gimping marth. but really you guys treat it like its a god and thats dumb. It does some things that are situational.

9crm10

Smash Rookie
i like up b i dislike fludd end of story

i only use fludd to mess around and experiment during tourneys and it actually can do some stuff like getting lucky actually gimping marth. but really you guys treat it like its a god and thats dumb. It does some things that are situational.
THANK YOU!

9crm10

Smash Rookie
Hmm,wanna prove that to me via WiFi? Last person that said that is in practice currently learning/redeeming from what he witnessed..:)
Yeah 1:00 Ill have my FC on my profile by then Ill get yours and PM u if anything changes, alright?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Dtilt's useless?! Dtilt does 0-40% regardless of DI. Fludd's the most useless attack, all it does is make them wet.
This was a joke. Dtilt is crap. Fludd screws up recovery, spacing, and increases an opponent's airtime after a laggy aerial, giving you time to attack/grab. Fludd is an awesome attack. Those who say otherwise are noobs with it.

COMMANDLIST

Smash Cadet
Now that I think about it yeah I really don't use his down tilt at all but I'm trying to be open minded to it's uses so I won't give up on any of his moves b/c each has their unique purpose.

We all have to pitch in if we're going to make ''Mario the ultimate metagame.'':)

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
My least used moves in order:

D.tilt - Carried over from Melee, I know Brawl's d.tilt is better than Melee, it's just a habit I carried over myself, never using d.tilt... I just prefer d.smashing as well, only time I ever used a d.tilt is when I accidentally cstick it, trying to d.smash.

F.air - Spike's too slow in my opinion, however, I know I should use it more often. I prefer using b.air, or u.air to edge guard, but I know I should spike as well, but that's just me.

Super Soaker - I use it when I mess around, or against characters it's effective against, such as Ness/Lucas, Ganon, Ike, and so forth... even then, I just use it to mess around. Character with crappy recovery is just too easy to edge guard, no need to use the super soaker when there's other options... however, others could say, "theres no use to use the other options if there's the super soaker", it's just a matter of preference/opinions.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
F.L.U.D.D. is awesome. Dtilt seems to be regarded as the worst, and I have to agree. Dash attack and Fair arent the top of their class, but arent completely worthless.

???????

Smash Journeyman
Mario's Fair is very useful as a spike but I'd say my uses of the Dtilt and dash attack is minimal.

*Mario's dash attack has IASA frames near the end of the attack*

BlackBankai23

Smash Rookie
I think Mario's dash attack is a great for certain reasons:

1 - even if shielded you get enough distance from your opponent to react (if you use it to fish out tactics)
2 - launching them can be followed up with a short hop + Uair or drop kick. You can even do a rising sex kick out of it depending on DI

studly

Smash Ace
d tilt is good. you can do d tilt into d smash to rack more damage up before the smash, and they don't have a chance of getting out of it, unlike jab to d smash.
exactly what i was thinking...i also noticed that in a few situations where i wouldn't have been able to get a hit with the down smash i got the d-tilt and then the down smash

studly

Smash Ace
idk Jab to downsmash works better for me
jabs probably better i was just pointing out the usefulness of that particular move stead it being useless

the most useless i think is mario's dash...and im not even saying that even its completely useless ...im just saying i use it the least because it offers the least advantages

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
jabs probably better i was just pointing out the usefulness of that particular move stead it being useless

the most useless i think is mario's dash...and im not even saying that even its completely useless ...im just saying i use it the least because it offers the least advantages
i hate mario's dash..

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've never used F.L.U.D.D. when I play as Mario. Just can't seem to use it effectively. Apparently it's the same situation with Squirtle too.

???????

Smash Journeyman
The Uair is one of Mario's best juggling aerials and is one of his only aerials that can KO under 100%.

*F.L.U.D.D. takes time to learn how to use effectively but it's one of Mario's better moves*

*F.L.U.D.D. gives better pushback than the Water Gun*

Messiano

Smash Journeyman
Then you and those lots of people don't have the slightest clue how to edge guard and probably how to play.

chingy

Smash Apprentice
fludd sucks i like to play around with it thats pretty much its and up b is good to me one example i find it useful is when a smash ball comes out when opponent in air and close to the smash ball like touching it use up b and the attacks will hit the opponent and the smash ball and most of the time it breaks cuz its like 7 hit if you get all the hits u can get with up on character

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
fludd sucks i like to play around with it thats pretty much its and up b is good to me one example i find it useful is when a smash ball comes out when opponent in air and close to the smash ball like touching it use up b and the attacks will hit the opponent and the smash ball and most of the time it breaks cuz its like 7 hit if you get all the hits u can get with up on character
well u don't main mario so u probably won't see the full extent of fludd...

E-unit

Smash Cadet
Mario's up-B IS usefull. I use it as combo-breaking like escaping DDD's f-tilit and end up giving him damage. :laugh: That pisses my friend off all the time.

Top Bottom