• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's Jab Combos

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
This is a list of the moves you can do after jabs depending on the distance of seporation after the Jabs hit. Jab combos work best if you crouch cancel the lag after the second punch, however the speed of these moves make it less critical. Here are the combos:

Combos With Jabs

Close Combat
Jab->>>12-18% - Grab (Comes out on frame 6)
Jab->Jab->>>12% - Up-special (Faster than Luigi's so its harder to shield)
Jab->Jab->>>7%-8% - Up Tilt (Comes out on frame 5)

Farther Away
Jab->Jab->>>15% - Down Smash (Great way to combo for 20%)
Jab->>>7%-9%Dash Attack ( only 6 Frames later)
Jab->Jab->>>8%-9% - Forward Tilt (Comes out on frame 5)
Jab->Jab->>>5%-7%Down Tilt (Comes out on frame 5)

Frame Data and Damage

First Jab (3% damage)
Hit: 2
End: 15
Shield hitlag difference: 0
Shield stun: 2
Advantage: -11

Second Jab (2% damage)
Begins: 8
Hit: 9
End: 24
Shield stun: 1
Advantage: -14

Third Jab (4% Damage)
Begins: 14
Hit: 20
End: 42
Shield stun: 2
Advantage: -20

Source
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=219407&highlight=Frame+Data+MArio

bobson

Smash Lord
Are these actually true combos? Do you know how much lag you can stop with crouch canceling, specifically?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Most, if not all, of these can be shielded.

Stop making so many threads. It's appreciated that you want to help, but most of the stuff that you post is either already known or just not true (such as this). Not to mention it makes the boards look cluttered.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I think it's a good idea in theory. Maybe you should just organize it a little better.

A video would help, too.

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
They should all be combos

I don't know how many frames the crouch cancels but I do know that it helps Mario to Jab repeatedly without doing his normal 3rd jab. According to the frame data they should all hit in less frames than his normal kick. Jab->Dash Attack probably requires that you use the C-stick to do the attack while dashing. There's also this video on jabs and tilts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka8ijdwGBG8

In the video the second jab knocks Lucario the opponent into the air so I don't think he would be able to shield early enough, but that depends more on his spacing and damage. I've also gotten 20% on the combo screen in Brawl training mode before, so it should be a combo.

Dash attack which can go under shields and Grabs are the only ones that are slower than D-smash and they are fine with shields and only 1 frame slower.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Ehhh... jab jab Dsmash works well as does grab or more jab jabs, but I think everyone already knew that. The other ones, I don't know if they'd be all that useful compared to those 3.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Close Combat
Jab->>>12-18% - Grab (Comes out on frame 6)
Jab->Jab->>>7%-8% - Up Tilt (Comes out on frame 5)

Farther Away
Jab->Jab->>>15% - Down Smash (Great way to combo for 20%)
Jab->Jab->>>8%-9% - Forward Tilt (Comes out on frame 5)

I use these on a regular basic. Sometimes like to use the cape or fireballs at the end to throw them off and then go into something else.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
so can yall show which ones can actually be considered a combo. and what frame does the cape come out after the the second jab. I would use this as a part of mind games even though it would have been better if the cape turned people around like it did in melee.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
uhmmm.... i don't know what you mean but the cape still turn people around.........

Mikha'el

Smash Cadet
so can yall show which ones can actually be considered a combo. and what frame does the cape come out after the the second jab. I would use this as a part of mind games even though it would have been better if the cape turned people around like it did in melee.
What? Can you explain what youre talking about?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Okay, I am not a very good tester because I have no idea how to get frame data. But a few things that I did observe.

Firstoff, the way to Jab cancel that gives you the biggest frame advantage is hitting directly with Mario's fist. This has the most vertical knockback (it sends people ever so slightly away from you keep in mind). If you hit with Mario's arm, they will be sent sideways, the distance depending on their traction, although this hit still combos into the 2nd hit reliably even against Luigi.

And another thing to keep in mind, D-smash has exactly the same range as Jab. F-tilt and D-tilt have slightly more. Grab and U-tilt have less range.

When you DO hit someone, the hitstun animation tends to make people lean forward a bit, so this can be helpful sometimes in letting you grab people out of a Jab. However you may have to take a small step forward to reliably grab.

Lastly, Kirby's hard landing animation makes him duck under your F-tilt when you Jab cancel.

I don't have any good frame data, but from my experience, the reliability of your Jab combos goes in this order.

Jab -> Grab (because you can grab through shields)
Jab -> D-tilt (simple to Jab cancel, and has decent range)
Jab -> F-tilt
Jab -> D-smash
Jab -> U-tilt
*big gap*
Jab -> F-smash (MINDGAMES!)

If you manage to Jab cancel at the edge, or hit an aerial opponent, then this doesn't matter as much because you'll have a lot more time to combo into the desired attack.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
What? Can you explain what youre talking about?
oh if someone use their shield on melee, if mario uses the flag it would still turn them around even in their shield. In brawl if someone puts their shield up Mario's cape wont do nothing but leave you open for a punishment.

Top Bottom