• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Stage Thread Discussing: Halberd

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
YOOO LET'S DISCUSS THIS ****!!!

I always regret it when i DONT bring someone to battlefield, unless it's Snake, or MK, or Marth.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Lol, I ain't suppose to take Snakes there, but I do anyways. I wouldn't take Jiggly, Kirby, MK, Pit, ROB, and D3...
Snake is super overrated on Halberd. Why people haven't figured this out baffles me.

He gets almost nothing out of Halberd. Many characters benefit more from the smaller boundaries than he does to be honest. The most he gets out of Halberd is that his grenade camping is a little more annoying, and frankly that is NOT a reason to ban the stage against him.

Especially for Mario where it's by far easier to reliably set up into his U-smash (or B-throw) than it is for Snake to randomly land a U-tilt on you, it's really a good stage to CP him to. His U-tilt really isn't going to be killing you any earlier unless you I guess deliberately make a point of failing to space correctly at the EXACT percent where his U-tilt could kill you. He still needs you to flat out **** up in order to kill you, while killing him is simply a matter of dealing with the tedium of his weight, which Halberd helps to balance out for you.

Olimar is a more debatable character to take to Halberd, since his throw kills are very annoying on that stage, and he can get grabs easily during land trap juggles. On the other hand, so can you.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Dang it, I forgot to try this against some Snakes yesterday. Maybe next time :/

What I really want to know is why you think Brinstar is a good stage for Mario, and what are some of the things he can do there.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Brinstar is easy to sum up.

*Small blastzones, which are always appreciated for Mario. Especially since there are lava rises! People who opt to not get hit by the lava either have to deal with your camping or getting killed early by U-smash. B-throw is also totally viable here.
*Mario is one of like 4 characters that legitimately has good platform pressure on that stage. Everyone else who basically loses the option of U-tilt or U-smash from below the platform gets screwed in this department because of jump out of shield. If you're getting hit while platform camping against anyone that isn't MK, Mario, G&W, or Luigi on Brinstar, you're probably doing something wrong.
*Mario is also one of few characters that has a downwards arcing projectile. It travels reasonably far too, which makes his projectile game pretty much the best on that stage.

You beat Falco, Wario, and the Ice Climbers LEGITIMATELY on Brinstar. The only character you do worse against is Metaknight, which is more a statement that Metaknight is just by far the most unfairly broken character on that stage and breaks the CP system in general.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Toss more fireballs from the platforms. Everyone does it on Smashville and gets away with it for free. Brinstar is no different, except you get to do it constantly, and there is lava that will utterly **** up characters and force them to jump onto other platforms, where you can continue to camp them with relative impunity. Or force them to approach into the ****.

Also shielding on platforms is really really ****ing safe against everyone except other MKs, Marios, Luigis, and G&Ws as long as you know about angling shield. In trouble on Brinstar? Shield on a platform and jump out of shield. 90% of the cast really can't punish this AT ALL, since you no longer have to worry about them walking under you and U-tilting/U-smashing you during your jump startup frames. Be thankful that Mario is one of few characters who actually can effectively punish jump out of shield.

You want your matches to take a long time on Brinstar. The lava is to your benefit since it helps your camping by limiting your opponent's walking space, and provided you don't adapt to it abnormally poorly, it should be helping you open up your opponent's defenses as well. Your opponent at high damages has to be very careful about approaching Mario on a platform when you can kill them a lot more easily with B-throw and U-smash, both of which are not hard at all to land.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Do you have your "how to play on Brinstar" video up? I might opt to make my own unless you say otherwise.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Halberd isn't in my list of cp's for Mario but I really won't mind being taken their. Probably a ban when against a character like Olimar (grab kills) but Mario has a few advantages that can work in his favor.

The dip in the stage can play in your favor but it can also play against you. Due to the platform that is constantly in the middle, I find that his fire ball game is limited just like in similar stages. (YI, some parts in Delfino) Although if you hit the fire ball right, you can have it bounce off the edge of the dip and create a bit of a trap if done right. (Although I wouldn't depend on it since chances are it will go away)

The platform plays in Mario's advantage as he can use it to shark his u-air and even drop from above with a reliable nair, bair and even dair. Mario's up smash can kill at medium sized characters at percents around 110 if kept fresh.

When I play Mario, I rarely find myself going to Halberd but when I do, I usually use that keep the same strategy throughout and mix it up at times. Just make smart decisions and Mario shouldn't have too much of a problem here.

Top Bottom