• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario RPG Discussion Thread

Griselda

Smash Lord
I had a weird dream, last night. SMRPG was an arcade game, rather than a SNES title, and the Mario movie hadn't come out yet. Nintendo announced that they were partnering with movie theatres to reissue the SMRPG arcade cabinet for the first time in decades as a promotional tie-in for the movie (which in the dream I think had Mallow as a minor character?). People online were excited and predicting how much the game and the movie would boost each other's popularity.

I guess it's nice to know SMRPG is doing well even in whatever weird alternate universe that was, too. :geno:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Here's a post from Reddit asking about the remake's sales:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MarioRPG/comments/18cfgy5/sales_of_the_remake/

Top comment had this to say:
It's doing pretty well in my estimation.

Much stronger in US/Canada than anywhere else but that's to be expected with less competition here this season.

Strong opening in Japan, should be 2nd highest selling Mario RPG there behind only the original when all is said and done.

In Europe/PAL region there is less nostalgia so it's performing somewhat similar to Paper Mario TOK which was reasonably strong in Europe.

Key to everything is US sales though, US is by far strongest market and I expect at least 60+% of its total sales to come from US alone.

It's already in top 25 for Amazon's 2023 best sellers for Video Games, which tells you that it's very strong. Only ToTK, Wonder, and Spiderman 2 ahead for physical sales.

I think it can eventually reach 5 million in total sales, which would make it highest selling Mario RPG ever, and 3 million should be the floor.

Probably can see 3.5-4 million by end of December (in quarterly earnings) if everything goes right.

Basically been watching Amazon (in various markets) as well as Nintendo's eShop in various markets, Walmart, Famitsu for Japan physical sales as well as the numbers posted on Installbase. There's some posters there that post sales numbers from other countries like Japan, UK, Spain, among others.

It's mostly just my estimates based on what those numbers look like.
I looked at their history and they seem to frequent r/wallstreetbets, so they either know what they're talking about... Or they're just insane :dizzy:

TBH, I've been thinking that the game will probably sell something closer to 1.6-2.0 million copies by the end of December.

That's not based on anything, so I don't really know why I feel this way.
Maybe I just don't want to be too disappointed if this game doesn't end up doing big numbers.

What are your thoughts?

P.S. Just noticed the OP of this post is SmashBoards' own NonSpecificGuy!

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace

Top comment had this to say: I looked at their history and they seem to frequent r/wallstreetbets, so they either know what they're talking about... Or they're just insane :dizzy:

TBH, I've been thinking that the game will probably sell something closer to 1.6-2.0 million copies by the end of December.

Maybe I just don't want to be too disappointed if this game doesn't end up doing big numbers.

What are your thoughts?

We really, REALLY need to organize to start pushing for a sequel. It's the only logical choice for fans of any Mario RPG game moving forward.

TBone06

Smash Ace

Top comment had this to say: I looked at their history and they seem to frequent r/wallstreetbets, so they either know what they're talking about... Or they're just insane :dizzy:

What are your thoughts?

This is something that I've been very curious about. I think my hope was that it would be the best selling Mario RPG game. So I was hoping to see 4.5-5M in overall sales when it's all said and done. If it's already done 355k in physicals (lets say 500k total including digital) in three weeks in Japan alone, I would have to think it would have to at least triple that in North America. I know the US is likely the top market for this, and I know in Canada (where I am) it's been doing very well (e-shop, Amazon, in store). In my local Gamestop, there were 53 pre-orders, which may not sound like a lot. But this is just one location in a city of just shy of 600,000. If it can get to 1M total in Japan at the end of it all, I would have to think it could get 2-3M in NA. Maybe another 1M in Europe/elsewhere in the world. So I think 5M is certainly doable. We obviously won't know until we see the sales reports, but I do think 4M-5M would be a massive success. I'd be worried if it was any less than 3.5M. If we see 5M, I'm confident we'd get an official sequel at somepoint. 5M for a 27 year old remake would be wildly impressive.

WeirdAlFan101

Smash Journeyman
So regarding Geno's hypothetical appearance in a future Smash game, we all were in near agreement that Geno Flash was most likely to be his Final Smash. But now with the introduction of Triple Moves, and the fact Chrom still appears in Robin's Final Smash despite also being playable, one of those is now more likely to be his big finisher.

But which one would you guys want? While Star Riders would make the most sense, given it's the first Triple Move you learn, I also think Shooting Star Shot works just as well, especially since it feels much more specific to Geno himself.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So regarding Geno's hypothetical appearance in a future Smash game, we all were in near agreement that Geno Flash was most likely to be his Final Smash. But now with the introduction of Triple Moves, and the fact Chrom still appears in Robin's Final Smash despite also being playable, one of those is now more likely to be his big finisher.

But which one would you guys want? While Star Riders would make the most sense, given it's the first Triple Move you learn, I also think Shooting Star Shot works just as well, especially since it feels much more specific to Geno himself.
While I do think a Triple Move would be cool to reference in his Final Smash, I think they are going to avoid using a move that would involve other Smash fighters. Yes, Chrom is still in Robins final smash, but it feels very different to keep something that is outdated and make something that will naturally be contradictory. I would say this makes Star Riders the most likely since it is the move he has with the one character who is not also in Smash, we then run into the awkwardness of Mario possibly being absent from the Smash interpretation, which turns it from a triple attack to a duo. I think they can still pull that off though.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

It's worth noting that Chrom being both playable and Robin's Final Smash is probably due to Chrom being a last minute echo. There wasn't enough time to completely change Robin's Final Smash.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace

Star Riders is such a beautiful move, I’m down with that being his Final Smash. I feel ever since they revealed this game, that my mind has moved towards having Geno be a dueling character with Mallow that you could switch out. They both deserve to get in.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Star Riders is such a beautiful move, I’m down with that being his Final Smash. I feel ever since they revealed this game, that my mind has moved towards having Geno be a dueling character with Mallow that you could switch out. They both deserve to get in.
The remake adding the ability to switch in the middle of battle gives a nice bit of inspiration for the concept of a Geno and Mallow being added together as a fighter.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
I've always liked this idea, but Smash has had a weird history with stance change characters.

Zelda and Sheik got split into separate characters, and I'm almost convinced that the only reason Pokemon Trainer came back instead of just Charizard again was because of the "Everyone is here!" obligation.

We got a new stance change character in the form of Pyra/Mythra, but they share similar moves outside of specials. This would be impossible to do with Mallow and Geno due to how different they are.

It seems to me like they're not willing to dedicate what is essentially two entire characters to one slot if they can avoid it, and I just don't see them adding two separate Mario RPG characters when getting just one in has been unsuccessful for like 15 years.

Something that would be more feasible would be to have Mallow pop in to assist on certain attacks, such as using his cymbal clang for the neutral air, or weather abilities for the recovery.

As for where he appears from, they could animate him just sort of... materializing from inside Geno, which was a common convention in older JRPGs and something they actually poked fun at several times in SMRPG.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I miss the card suites that would appear over the characters when they did certain special attacks. For a remake that went hard on being super accurate to the og, it feels kinda weird that they are not there. Maybe they were a bit unnecessary or awkward with the update to full 3D and the extra detail that would bring, but for a lot of the attacks you can still hear the sound they would make whenever they would flash over the character in the original. It's certainly not something that brings the remake down, but it feels like a weird absence.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Since it is around Christmas time, I want to post this song I made some time ago about Smithy from Super Mario RPG, in the form of a Christmas song, of course.

You'd better watch out
You're all gonna die
Don't even show doubt
I'm telling you why
Smithy Claus is coming for you

He'll pound your head once
And won't think twice
He will not care
Who's naughty or nice

He'll get you while you're sleeping
You'll be squashed like a cake
Unless you do turn to his side
So just run for goodness sake

You'd better watch out
You're all gonna die
Don't even show doubt
I'm telling you why

What do you all think?
Instant. Banger.

And I'd expect severel remixes from this alone

If Geno makes the roster and Mallow doesn't, I can expect them to team up in Geno's Final Smash for the Star Rod concept

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Just wanted to say I finished this game tonight (namely the post-game content) and I have to say it's the perfect remake for me. It was crazy playing through this game while finding myself unable to fully process that this game even exists, but it was amazing. Loved every minute of it - and I would of course, being based on one of my all-time favorite games. There's not a whole lot else I can think to offer from my perspective - I did really like the small touches like the timed-hits landing attack damage on surrounding enemies, and the triple team moves were cool. Just an all-around amazing experience...I felt like sharing it here since it's been so long from when I was active during Ultimate's DLC days. I actually feel this was the bigger victory for us, in all honesty...and I hope it's been a wonderful time for all of you to revisit these memories or experience them anew for those who are just getting into it for the first time. Cheers!

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
So I was playing Ultimate last night and what really sticks out to me, in a bad way, is the fact that Geno is not on the roster.

Compared to seeing literally every other major video game character on it, Geno's absence sticks out like a sore thumb.

I hope that's rectified in future Smash games.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
So I was playing Ultimate last night and what really sticks out to me, in a bad way, is the fact that Geno is not on the roster.

Compared to seeing literally every other major video game character on it, Geno's absence sticks out like a sore thumb.

I hope that's rectified in future Smash games.
Which is why I want Ultimate Deluxe in two years for the Super Switch. Ultimate's base game, with all of the previously released DLC already included, but also five-ish new fighters. Including Geno and Shadow - Geno because he has now already had his resurgence and all, and Shadow because he will have his resurgence holiday season next year. And maybe a couple extra bosses. Eggman is an obvious boss pick to come with Shadow.. What about Belome for Geno? You could have a multi-phase fight like Dracula, where Belome clones your fighter and you have to defeat them, too.

...And, ideally, we'd also get Break The Targets or Smash Run or extra World of Light content. But maybe that's a little unrealistic.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Haha, something about the scarecrow status has always been lol to me. Especially when it happens to Mario. It’s so funny when he does Super Jump as the scarecrow.

If I may ask, what songs would you imagine Geno having if he gets into Smash? I’d like to think he could get at least 8-9 like Hero and Sephiroth. I can see all of the songs being the remixes from the RPG remake(so 2 versions of Beware the Forest Mushrooms, SNES version and remix) Then maybe one of the songs could be a medley that would even have “sad song piano” as part of it.
I can imagine
Forest maze
Bowser keep’s 2nd time
Armored boss
Stronger boss
My name’s Booster
Smithy fight
Smithy who likes transforming
Culex fight

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I can imagine
Forest maze
Bowser keep’s 2nd time
Armored boss
Stronger boss
My name’s Booster
Smithy fight
Smithy who likes transforming
Culex fight
Solid list indeed! Just wanted to say thank you again to everyone here on the SmashBoards who support Super Mario RPG. 2023 will go down as the year our favorite characters came back and made everyone proud. You should all be proud of yourselves for finally coming out on the other side with the biggest win you can imagine. Super Mario RPG is not only back by popular demand and in the public consciousness again, but speaking for myself I can say, exceeded my own expectations for a remake. I hope all of you are enjoying this labor of love as much as I am. And if I may say….next stop, Smash 6.

Last edited:

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Solid list indeed! Just wanted to say thank you again to everyone here on the SmashBoards who support Super Mario RPG. 2023 will go down as the year our favorite characters came back and made everyone proud. You should all be proud of yourselves for finally coming out on the other side with the biggest win you can imagine. Super Mario RPG is not only back by popular demand and in the public consciousness again, but speaking for myself I can say, exceeded my own expectations for a remake. I hope all of you are enjoying this labor of love as much as I am. And if I may say….next stop, Smash 6.

And Mario Kart. We need to push to get Geno and Mallow in Mario Kart.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Nintendo of America just posted this to Youtube (which I believe is their first upload of the year). It's nice to see them showing this game love. I left a comment. Any chance I can get to promote this game to anyone who is willing to listen, I'll do it in a heartbeat, and if Nintendo is taking the time to push it, I want to appreciate that!

I love this game!

Quillion

Smash Hero
And Mario Kart. We need to push to get Geno and Mallow in Mario Kart.
Maybe they can take baby steps and make a Fortune Street or Mario Hoops/Sports Mix first. Preferably the former due to how Mario Sports games are nowadays though.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Moving into 2024, I think one of the parts I like the most about Princess Peach Showtime is how much the theatre/stage setting reminds me of the early Paper Mario games, especially the GCN one where every battle took place on a stage with an audience (not to mention Peach herself having a greater role in the Mario RPGs early on compared to the main series). It's great timing that it's coming out in relatively close proximity to the Paper Mario remake. I'm wondering if there even might be some influence from the Mario RPGs in the game.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Seeing Princess Peach Showtime, I am interested on how the game goes and might get it later on. Sure it seems to present to girls more, but I just wonder which side of the gender of gamers will be first?
810iANmKbOL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Super Princess Peach and Super Mario Bros movie might be a contributing factor to allow Peach on returning as the main character.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
By the way, I also had this thought...

Since the makers of the Mario and Luigi series, AlphaDream went out of business, and thus there was not much in terms of Mario RPGs aside from Paper Mario, do you all think they wanted to revisit the original Super Mario RPG and have a remake made to see how it would do nowadays to see if it was worth continuing from there? I mean, one of the people behind Super Mario RPG DID say he wanted to make a sequel. Now with AlphaDream gone and the Mario and Luigi series not getting a new game anytime soon, do you think it is possible they wanted to go back to the original Mario RPG and use that as a possible series?

Dukefire

Smash Master
If there isn't anyone left to create a Mario RPG, it is possible with enough money and requests to back it up. For something to return into greatness, it must be broken down to its original roots. Like a Phoenix, it will rise from the ashes to be reborn again.

S1itchey

Smash Apprentice

What are your thoughts?

Pretty sure the best selling mario rpg is mario + rabbids kingdom battle at over 10 million with bowsers inside story being second at around 9 million.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Not sure if it's entirely relevant to this thread, but if you love Mario RPG (which I'm guessing you do if you're in this thread) you need to play the Golden Sun games that just came to NSO. I played the first one on an emulator a few years ago (and liked it a lot) and I bought Dark Dawn when it came out (I opened it and I got two hours in). But I went through the three in order and my god. I just want to gush about them. But all I'll say is they are great RPG's and if you love Mario RPG like I do, these are a nice way to get your RPG fix.

3.14 MILLION IN SIX WEEKS!!! WE WON MARIO RPG FANS!!! This is a huge victory in my opinion. To be the 5th best selling first party game in the year with only six weeks of sales is NUTS, especially considering the four above it are three juggernauts (TOTK, Mario Wonder, Mario Kart) and a game that has finally had a new game after 10 years (Pikmin). For a full priced remake, these sales numbers are very strong in my opinion. I hope everyone sees this as a win too. Looking at the Metroid Prime Remaster, it was cheaper, it had almost a full year of sales, and it still sold less than half as much as Mario RPG. It's easily going to pass Origami King and I wouldn't be surprised if eventually it sells more than Bowser's Inside Story to be the highest selling Mario RPG game. My hope is 5M lifetime. So I hope the momentum continues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Not sure if it's entirely relevant to this thread, but if you love Mario RPG (which I'm guessing you do if you're in this thread) you need to play the Golden Sun games that just came to NSO. I played the first one on an emulator a few years ago (and liked it a lot) and I bought Dark Dawn when it came out (I opened it and I got two hours in). But I went through the three in order and my god. I just want to gush about them. But all I'll say is they are great RPG's and if you love Mario RPG like I do, these are a nice way to get your RPG fix.

3.14 MILLION IN SIX WEEKS!!! WE WON MARIO RPG FANS!!! This is a huge victory in my opinion. To be the 5th best selling first party game in the year with only six weeks of sales is NUTS, especially considering the four above it are three juggernauts (TOTK, Mario Wonder, Mario Kart) and a game that has finally had a new game after 10 years (Pikmin). For a full priced remake, these sales numbers are very strong in my opinion. I hope everyone sees this as a win too. Looking at the Metroid Prime Remaster, it was cheaper, it had almost a full year of sales, and it still sold less than half as much as Mario RPG. It's easily going to pass Origami King and I wouldn't be surprised if eventually it sells more than Bowser's Inside Story to be the highest selling Mario RPG game. My hope is 5M lifetime. So I hope the momentum continues.

I think we're in the clear, guys. I think we can finally look forward to another game.

Objectively speaking, the remake was overpriced for what it was, and it still sold 3.14 million in 6 weeks. Just imagine how a full featured modern sequel might do.

TBone06

Smash Ace

I think we're in the clear, guys. I think we can finally look forward to another game.

Objectively speaking, the remake was overpriced for what it was, and it still sold 3.14 million in 6 weeks. Just imagine how a full featured modern sequel might do.
I don't want to get ahead of myself, but this has to be good news in my opinion. And I agree. Now let me be clear, I had no issues with the game being the same price as other new games. But I'm also a grown single man with no kids and an adult job, so I won't lose sleep over a $90 game (realistically the difference would be like ~$20-$30) after tax (I'm in Canada where retail was $79.99) so I can see myself being a little privileged in that sense. The way I see it, the engine is already there. They could use the same assets and make a new game EASILY. I also agree that a full featured modern sequel would appeal to everyone who didn't want to buy it because they had it for the SNES or VC, or simply they didn't want to pay full price for a remake. 3.14M in 6 weeks is exceptional for a remake of a 27 year old game that's marketed at full price. Origami King last reported at 3.47M so it's absolutely possible that Mario RPG has already surpassed that with the additional month+. I am so excited with this news.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm really curious to see how the Thousand Year Door remake will perform.

We know Nintendo doesn't want a ton of Mario RPG series (this is the wrong idea imo). If the two compete and one does better than the other, we may see one get a sequel but no the other.

Ideally both would, but I'm trying to be realistic here.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I'm really curious to see how the Thousand Year Door remake will perform.

We know Nintendo doesn't want a ton of Mario RPG series (this is the wrong idea imo). If the two compete and one does better than the other, we may see one get a sequel but no the other.

Ideally both would, but I'm trying to be realistic here.
I don't think Paper Mario has any bearing on Mario RPG and vice versa to be honest. They ran the Paper Mario series at the same time as Mario and Luigi. I think they may just alternate release schedules, but I think if they see both as viable options for future sequels, I think they do both. If they don't see them as viable, then they won't. I don't think they'd cannibalize each other.

I do expect Thousand Year Door to sell well. But Mario RPG sold well too.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I believe the remake has surpassed the original ‘96 sales! Way to go guys!
It did indeed. It was a big success.

Now I just need to play it. Finances keep getting in the way.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I remember back in the summer Papa Geno’s said he was going to do a video on what he thinks will be the future of Mario RPG/Geno and Mallow. Still waiting on it.

TBone06

Smash Ace
I remember back in the summer Papa Geno’s said he was going to do a video on what he thinks will be the future of Mario RPG/Geno and Mallow. Still waiting on it.
Yeah I thought about this myself!!! I love his content and I know he said he was sick or something. I think it's coming. Maybe I'll tweet at him or something because I'm curious too.

I also hope Mar10 Day brings a decent discount for Mario RPG to give the people who didn't want to buy it at full price a chance to get it. They were around 3.14M as of December 31st. I still want to see it hit 5M. I think if they hit 5M, there is no way they don't make a sequel.

EDIT Also I found it fascinating looking at Mario vs. DK's first week sales in Japan. It sold 61,930 copies in Japan (physicals). Mario RPG sold 301,334 physical copies. Not that I think Mario vs. DK is on the same level, but both were remakes of old games. Mario RPG sold almost five times more. I think this is pretty substantial. Mario vs. DK was never going to sell as much as Mario RPG. But I think it's a testament how well Mario RPG's first week sales were. I think the Peach game will be an interesting comparison. I tend to think it'll be somewhere between Mario vs. DK and Mario RPG.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I mean Mario vs DK has always been a fun little franchise for Nintendo, but it's never been one that really did big numbers outside the initial DK94 release. Puzzle platformers in general aren't as big as the action variety that both Mario and DK have elsewhere and Donkey Kong fans in particular largely see the series is a charming novelty that just happens to star the big ape rather than being a proper mainline entry like the Country games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom