• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Moveset Discussion. Current: None!

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Fireballs are really nice for setups and spacing. Fireballs are pretty nice at edgeguarding and are a pretty good defense against edgeguarders. It can stop a few ground approaches, like snakedashing and MK's aerials. It can ground hug. Not much to really say about the fireball except that it's a very flexible projectile.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
super effective against grass and bug types
Hahahaha.

Anyway...

Fireballs a core part of Mario's game. It helps him approach and can really only be hindered by other Marios (which aren't that common) and Earthbound characters (which also aren't that common!). Good for setting up combos, the underused fireball to fair spike is complete ****, and they're useful for building up damage during a retreat.

And did I mention that they actually let Mario have some combo ability in Brawl?

Combos.

Seriously.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Might I suggest Pictures and colors?

Not that they're necessary, but it'll make the thread look nice.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I'll just resize them so they're not absolutely giant and make the text in the OP look to small.

That said, I'm finalizing my WWYP entry. So don't expect them done tonight.

Matt07

Smash Master
I'll just resize them so they're not absolutely giant and make the text in the OP look to small.

That said, I'm finalizing my WWYP entry. So don't expect them done tonight.
Yea they are pretty huge, it was all I could find, I'll edit my post so it doesn't take up 50% of this thread.

Matt07

Smash Master
Bump, I think we need a new discussion now, Fireball seems to be done.

I used information out of this thread too come up with the summary, credit goes to the original posters.

Pros:
+Key to Mario's approaching. You can practically follow up anything from a Fireball.
+Can prove annoying too characters that can crawl.
+Fireballs can help against ledgeguarders.
+disrupts your oponent's attacks and leads to follow ups.
+Its not too good for camping but its better than not having a projectile at all while retreating.

Cons:
-It travels pretty slow, and can get powershielded easily.
-You can't really camp with Fireballs.
-Fireballs don't travel as far as they used to.
-Low priority

Matt07

Smash Master
Super Jump Punch

Pros:
+It helps you recover.
+Last frame of attack causes an awesome stage spike. (On edges like Battlefield, and Smashville.)
+Has invincibility on start, and goes throw all attacks.
*This might be true, might be false* His up B might be able to go through Falco's chaingrab.

Cons:
-Not really the best recovery compared to others.
-Easily predictable.
-Ending lag can cause you to get punished.

Oh, how could I forget this one. You steal pretty yellow coins when you hit them, Mario get's free coins!!

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
imo super jump is his best OOS option. its best defensive mechansism that works like marths upb somehow. the last frames can potentially stage spike if they dont edgehog properly. but it has rather gay ending lag, predictable.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
SJP can also be angled straight up for possibly a higher vertical reach, or angled at wut...60 degrees for horizontal? Also, the hitbox is actually not bad, as seen HERE @ 1:19. SJP has a nice hitbox IMO.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
LOL, that Fox got killed by the Up-B at 160%! He's so **** lightweight.

Up-B is awesome if situational. Decent ledgecamp tool. Good OOS option. Several aerials true combo into it. Amazing priority.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Fast, high priority, invincible startup...jeeze it sounds like an atk MK would have have...

Anyway, it's a very good OOS option and it has a lot of weight-based knockback so it can occasionally KO lighter characters if you hit it right.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Anyway...

Super Jump Punch is a good move overall. It has no real use outside of recovery, but it can stage spike and can be used for KOs if your opponent is at really, really high percentages.

BlueJx23

Smash Cadet
hello, new poster here. i've only mained mario for a couple weeks, so i'm more or less here to learn and contribute what little i can.

on topic, the SJP can be used as a surprise attack when juggling your opponent and they believe you have no more jumps left. it can even kill at a decent percent if your opponent is high (and light) enough. i also use it every now and then to disrupt Metaknight's glide attack.

question. how many frames of invincibility does the SJP have? just curious.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Don't forget the added power of the SWEETspot. (yes it does more damage up close)

Super jump out of shield>****.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
SJP is probably one of Mario's best moves. It actually helps him more than it does for his recovery in my opinion.

bobson

Smash Lord
SJP is a solid attack outside of recovery usage, actually. It'll usually take your opponent by surprise unless you've been using it predictably.

...better than dtilt, anyway.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Anything is better than Dtilt, man. Also SJP OOS causes your oponent to watch their spacing, unless they eat a SJP to the face when you block their aerials.

Matt07

Smash Master
Anything is better than Dtilt, man. Also SJP OOS causes your oponent to watch their spacing, unless they eat a SJP to the face when you block their aerials.
Haha true, Mario's dtilt is like the worst move in the game. I need to use more up B's, it seems really good. I only use it for recovering at the moment :(.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
SJP is better than Fireballs, Dtilt, Fair, and Nair. It has so much Priority, comes out instantly, and has a lot of knockback. The ending lag is gay tho, so make sure you hit.

Its not better than Bair. Nothing is Better than Bair, it's too good.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If it's like Marth's: Five frames.

I have no real way of testing that however since I don't know how to count frames.
I highly doubt that. What seems more likely is that you're invincible during the first three or four frames. Mario's SJP initiates frame three btw.

It doesn't have many invul frames meaning you have to space this attack carefully if you want to beat something like the Mach Tornado.

D-tilt and Dash attack are both near-useless.

The Dash attack is slightly less useless. You can use this to punish spotdodgers or air dodgers for example. It's also Mario's fastest attack from a Dash, meaning it can be used as a last ditch effort to chase someone down when nothing else will hit them fast enough. Mario's Dash Attack Cancel is also moderately useful, sliding a reasonable distance if you hold down the U-smash charge stance for a little bit before you release it. It's hard to do though.

The best use I've found for the D-tilt is spamming it on the Luigi's mansion columns to get around diminishing returns. Otherwise it does have slightly more range than his Jab, hits lower, so it can shield poke a bit (don't do this against DDD though) and at high percents, you can use this to knock people up for a follow up.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Dash attack is not useless. >_>
Still, very easy to punish and has terrible ending lag. I like where it puts opponents when it lands, and has decent speed if you're chasing your opponent, and punishes spotdodging pretty well, but it's so unsafe.

The Risk:Reward is unbalanced for it.

Even moreso for Dtilt...

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Yeah, it's pretty punishable if you overuse it, but it does have it's uses. So many things you combo into with that move that sometimes using it can give you the kill that you need.

Then again, I've been a Mario dash attack fanatic ever since Smash64.

I'd rather wait till the move discussion before I lay out all the full uses of it. ;)

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Dtilt is terrible but it has some uses, it's a decent juggling move around 50+ dmg. Dtilt can be a decent move if you know how and when to use it. Mario's dash atk...it's ok...but very punishable.

Top Bottom