• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ange

Smash Lord
Another thing I found annoying in this game is the you can barely avoid items easly anymore.

In DoubleDash you could pretty much avoid all red shells that came after you by doing a quick turn or jump off somewhere so the red shell would get destroyed. Even jumping over a ramp would kill the shell (If I remember right, was so long ago I played it.)
Also you could block red shells by laying a banana in their way pretty easly too, you could EVEN avoid a blue shell at certain times.

In Wii this is quite impossible. Even if you lay a banana in a red shells way, it will... somehow avoid it, do a 360° loop and hit you anyway. Same applies for blue shells, its pretty much impossible to avoid them now, AND they come in much higher quantities out of thin air.

Another thing that popped into my mind is that in Wii you suffer MUCH longer... hitstun? when you get attacked by an item. Like a simple green shell to a banana. It get on my nerves often when I see the CPUs come closer. This SPECIALLY happens RIGHT infront of the finish line. ALWAYS. @_@

Comparing an "old" game with a new one isnt really the way to go, but those things in MKW really get on my nerves.

/mini rant

Shök

Smash Champion
In Wii this is quite impossible. Even if you lay a banana in a red shells way, it will... somehow avoid it, do a 360° loop and hit you anyway. Same applies for blue shells, its pretty much impossible to avoid them now, AND they come in much higher quantities out of thin air.
This isn't completely true.

I know what you mean concerning the red shells.

Even if you lay a banana in front of them, they will somehow avoid.

That doesn't always happen though.

It depends and what angle your going.

If your driving in a straight line, and you lay a banana, the incoming shell will hit the banana.

Also, its not impossible to avoid a blue shell.

Zielmann

Smash Cadet
Not impossible to avoid the blue shells, but rather unlikely (especially when you take the computer's dirty tricks into account). Sure, a well timed mushroom can get you away from a blue shell. But seriously, who in first place actually has a mushroom? And if you had one in backup for some reason, the computer would take notice and hit you with lightning or a POW block to force you to drop it just seconds before the blue shell would come to get you.

The only other methods I know of involve track location: being able to hit a boost strip right as it tries to hit you, or being in a part of the track where you are warping to somewhere else, and nothing can hit you. And you can't control either of those, unless you know it's coming and stop right in front of a boost strip and wait...

Red/green shells on the other hand are easy. Just drag a shell or banana peel behind you, and the shells will take those out instead (most of the time). Doesn't require any special timing at all. I have been hit by a red shell while dragging triple bananas behind me... it just ignored the bananas and hit me. And I still had all three bananas after the fact...
Fake blocks are useless, and I usually drop those right away and hope for a good item the next time I get anything.

Shök

Smash Champion
Many times I've saved a mushroom for first place, just for the purpose of the blue shell.

Sometimes I get triple mushrooms in second place.

I use what I need to get to first, and save at least one for later.

That one mushroom has helped me in many situations.

Not just in a blue shell situation

Yes, green/red shells are easy to avoid, and I do exactly what you do: either carry my shell
or banana behind me, or when having a fake item box, drop it and hope for a better item.

But Ange was mentioning that if you drop a banana when you are being chased by a red shell, it somehow avoids it.

Ange

Smash Lord
This isn't completely true.

I know what you mean concerning the red shells.

Even if you lay a banana in front of them, they will somehow avoid.

That doesn't always happen though.

It depends and what angle your going.

If your driving in a straight line, and you lay a banana, the incoming shell will hit the banana.

Also, its not impossible to avoid a blue shell.
While yes ofcourse, youre right. They wont always avoid your blocking item, and by laying them in a straight line is pretty much always a 100% chance of destroying it.

Tho Ive noticed, even if you hold a green shell or a banana behind you while youre turning, the red shell will sometimes hit you anyway, tho I guess thats pretty logic as they take the fastest way to hit you ON the track (not like they did in N64 where they would LITERALLY take the shortest way lol).

I think the red shells really DO cheat. Nintendo probably gave them their own AI thats SO intelligent that it will avoid herds of items laying on the ground. q_ q

Zielmann

Smash Cadet
So, is the strategy then to stay in second or third until you get a mushroom, and THEN make your move to first place? And hope that the computer doesn't take away your items?

I like to do the logical thing, and start in first if possible. I can get far enough ahead of everybody else to give some cushioning for cheating computer players. With this method, it's not possible to get a mushroom, let alone try to save it for when a blue shell might come by.

And yes, if the red/green shells come at such an angle that they don't get taken out by protective items, then they will hit you. Typically, this is just from a green shell ricocheting off a wall and hitting your side. The red shells can still get you when you are taking a wide turn, cause they will take an inside path that can lead them to hit your side, too. It's annoying, but makes sense. Red shells would be much more useless if they followed the path that the driver takes. Then you could avoid all of them if you have a protective item.

And don't get my complaining wrong: I love the game. Sure, it can cheat sometimes, but it's still fun.

Alzi

Smash Master
So, is the strategy then to stay in second or third until you get a mushroom, and THEN make your move to first place? And hope that the computer doesn't take away your items?
I just go to 1st place as quick as possible and it seems to work easy. Online it works great but the CPU's in mkwii are like brawls CPU's.

With the red shells, i usually turn a tight turn so it hits the wall instead of going around that turn.

Zielmann

Smash Cadet
I know it doesn't come out too well when typing, but I was trying to be sarcastic. I do think it is much easier to get in front fast, and try to hold your spot. If you mess with being in the pack, there's no telling what could happen to you.

And I do love destroying the shells with a wall, especially when i have nothing in tow. The wall is usually my friend, except for those few times it has randomly spawned red shells into me...

Waka_Waka_do_do_yea

Smash Journeyman
On luck**** tracks like Luigi's circuit it's much better to stay in 2nd place however. Cause Anyone in 1st place WILL get hit by a blue shell on the third lap.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Not if you keep the golden mushroom and at the last lap use it all, even with a spiny shell you won't get behind.... unelss you have a kart/bike that is low on acceleration, since I have King Boo, that's what I do. XP

Ange

Smash Lord
With the red shells, i usually turn a tight turn so it hits the wall instead of going around that turn.
Doesnt that require a little good timing? Or does the red shell get destroyed in the wall anyway, if its far away from you? Never really tried as I usually just save my items to block incoming red shells.
And you arent always around walls or areas where you could trick the red shells..

Well, almost all the time. Luck tends to play a role as well. There are cases in which no one gets a Spiny Shell at all.
Luck is pretty much this games middle name. If not secretly its first. /:

On a diff topic, Ive learned ever since MK64 that never shoot green shells infront of you unless you are aiming for someone. In 7 cases out of 10, they will hit you back. ANyone else experienced this, or is it just me and my extremely bad luck?

DDM

Smash Journeyman
Doesnt that require a little good timing? Or does the red shell get destroyed in the wall anyway, if its far away from you? Never really tried as I usually just save my items to block incoming red shells.
And you arent always around walls or areas where you could trick the red shells..

Luck is pretty much this games middle name. If not secretly its first. /:

On a diff topic, Ive learned ever since MK64 that never shoot green shells infront of you unless you are aiming for someone. In 7 cases out of 10, they will hit you back. ANyone else experienced this, or is it just me and my extremely bad luck?

You're not the only one. As a rule I almost never do it anymore, because they come back to hit me an inordinate number of times.

Alzi

Smash Master
Ange i also have a item behind me hanging off my bike but it does depend on luck when your going for a turn and a red turtle shell comes just turn it tightly and it will hit the wall.

Also with luigi circuit i just seem to go in first place really quickly it's hard to stay in second when your vsing noobs or vsing good people since the timing is really hard.

Zielmann

Smash Cadet
Agreed on the green shell issue. They do like to ricochet just right to come back and hit you... Even if it's a turn later, they will find you.

As for cutting off red shells with the walls, it does require luck with where you are on the course. And some courses don't really have good places where you could cut them off. I don't see it so much as a means to avoid them, as I do a way to save the item I'm dragging behind me. Means I can endure one more attack from a red shell.

Ange

Smash Lord
Ange i also have a item behind me hanging off my bike but it does depend on luck when your going for a turn and a red turtle shell comes just turn it tightly and it will hit the wall.
As for cutting off red shells with the walls, it does require luck with where you are on the course. And some courses don't really have good places where you could cut them off. I don't see it so much as a means to avoid them, as I do a way to save the item I'm dragging behind me. Means I can endure one more attack from a red shell.
I think Ill try the whole tight-wall turn to avoid red shells when I get the chance, sounds pretty handy. And it also sounds smart to save the item you have behind you too.

On the green shell topic, glad Im not the only one.
Also, another unwritten rule you should follow, never stay behind a CPU (makes much sense however). Youll never know if they will take up a banana and make you slip to 12th place.

Ange

Smash Lord
Yeah I tend to do that as much as possible. The only thing I hate is when you accidently HIT the wall. XD
Specially if it was on the last lap.

I just havnt tried this with the red shells, so Ill do that someday. [: Thanks for the info guys.

Zielmann

Smash Cadet
Now along with the random red shells spawning from walls, I've also got random green shells coming at me from the front. Can't be from the person in last, cause I'm not close enough to them. Shell would have broken up by that point.

Now I'm starting to wonder if being half a lap ahead of second place is what triggers these things, cause that's the only time I notice them...

Shök

Smash Champion
I see what you mean, Zielmann.

Green shells can be just as irritating as red shells.

They come out of nowhere and at the most random times.

Maybe in your situation, the green shells bounce off the walls and scatter around the place.

Thats what happens to me at times.

meta master

Smash Journeyman
Now along with the random red shells spawning from walls, I've also got random green shells coming at me from the front. Can't be from the person in last, cause I'm not close enough to them. Shell would have broken up by that point.

Now I'm starting to wonder if being half a lap ahead of second place is what triggers these things, cause that's the only time I notice them...
when ever your a lap ahead or something like that, you always seem to get bombarded with millions of items. (my worst 3 blue shells, 4 red shell, 2 stars, giant mushroom, a then a bullet that knocked me off a cliff. (i was really far ahead))

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I haven't played this game ever since my internet was gone.... maybe I should go over my friends house and make a Mario Kart Wii 12 people party.

Alzi

Smash Master
All this item hax is because they made it 12 people in a race. Thats why when you go online and theres 12 people you see items going around like crazy. I'm glad they made it so you can look back in mario kart wii.

Ange

Smash Lord
This game might be slower then previous titles (To be honest, DoubleDash, even MK64, is much more speedy and involves a greater amout of reflex action), but I disagree it takes "little to no skill". Even if it is based on alot of luck, it still recuires skill to get good times in Time trial atleast.

Just look at Time trial records thru the MK Channel, some of them have pretty good times, although alot of them are hacked records. /:

Is Wii and the word slow related somehow? Wii games seem to be slower then previous consoles games.

randomselect

Smash Cadet
everyone should realise this game is so slow and boring and involves little to no skill even in time trial
I suppose you've only played the game for an hour before giving it that definition. Time Trial requires good timing quite a few times, especially to unlock Expert Ghosts and then beat them.

Ange

Smash Lord
Talking about Expert Staff Ghost datas, the ESG on Ghost Valley 2 is really hard to beat.
I have horrible skill to get that shortcut right and at the same time do a tight turn after it.

My closest attempt to beat it is like.. milliseconds away. @_@

Alzi

Smash Master
Expert staff ghost arn't that hard anymore once you play the game for awhile. Some time trials do require skill. Lets take mushroom gorge for an example. Firstly you need to always try and land on the edges of the mushrooms so you don't get too much air and jump high and loose time. Secondly the second mushroom you encounter you must do a wheelie just as you hit the green mushroom and that wheelie must jump over the next red mushroom so you never land on it you skip it by the wheelie and land on the ground which saves time. Same thing once you reach the caves when you land on the green mushroom you have to wheelie to skip the next green mushroom and land on the red mushroom. Don't forget that big gap where you have to jump with it by using a mushroom and a short hop timed correctly. This course needed skill until that stupid glitch came up >.>

Ange

Smash Lord
Yeah. /:> Same applies for Grumble Volcano, who also has a broken exploit.
Some of the ESG datas was VERY easy to beat, like DK Mountain and Sherbet Land. But some of them can be very annoying, like Moo Moo Meadows. I somehow cant beat that track, and the staff data uses automatic. Got any advice on that track?

Also, its fun to compare tracks found in previous games and look at their WRs, like N64 Sherbet Land for example:

MKWii - (2'05''417)
MK64 - (PAL 1'56''15) (NTSC 1'36''60)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
lets put 'the best MarioKart players' against you and see you skill eh?

on second thought, lets go with a 6 year old.
The best MK players? Aren't those just the guys that do time trials really fast? I doubt it'd matter whether or not he played against them because the game is random. I don't see how anyone could take the game that seriously when it just comes down to the luck of the draw and trying to speed past rubber band AI.

Alzi

Smash Master
Some of the ESG datas was VERY easy to beat, like DK Mountain and Sherbet Land. But some of them can be very annoying, like Moo Moo Meadows. I somehow cant beat that track, and the staff data uses automatic. Got any advice on that track?
Just download the reply of the WR holder and watch that and you should see how he does it. Last time i remeber don't jump on that blue ramp just drive past it since it saves you time and when you reach the bigger jump with the boost on it use a mushroom and go past it, so once again don't jump on it.

Nintendo have been deleting alot of times these days some arn't even hackers and there times have been deleted i don't know why this is though.

Edit: New competition.

Another coin one on funky stadium. Looks like there will be alot of strats for this.

SamH

Smash Rookie
The best MK players? Aren't those just the guys that do time trials really fast? I doubt it'd matter whether or not he played against them because the game is random. I don't see how anyone could take the game that seriously when it just comes down to the luck of the draw and trying to speed past rubber band AI.
what has rubber band AI got to do with it?
Yes there is a big chunk of luck in grand prix/wifi (and offline is nothing[/I compared to a race of 12 half decent players) but the best players still rise to the top and win more often than not. It's a great shame you can't tone down items online though.

@ Alzi, what is your mii name?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
You know what, I need to play this game again. Toadette will get angry everytime I not play her in that game. D=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom