• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
You have no concept of how games development works, do you?
Do you just enjoy being an asshole and hurting your chances of making any friends in this community? All you do it insult or call people out then ***** about things that dont matter.

And for your information, its obvious I was exaggerating, it doesnt take much to realize that.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
One thing about the Koopalings; why do people gripe they're similar when they're all quite different from each other? Look at Mario and Luigi. Or Peach and Daisy.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Do you just enjoy being an ******* and hurting your chances of making any friends in this community? All you do it insult or call people out then ***** about things that dont matter.
100% agree with Gashi. Sonicbrawler182, you need to check yourself and cut down with the digs. It's perfectly fine if you want to have a debate or conversation with your differing opinion (though kind of thick), but you're just coming off as extremely arrogant right now resorting to insults and your "I-know-more-than-you" attitude, which is rather condescending. You're not impressing anyone, it's definitely not going to help you gain respect of people here. Just cool it down a couple notches, and you'll be fine.

As for MK8 being rushed, I don't believe it's rushed. Though, I DO agree that battle mode on MK8 so far is looking really horrible. Hopefully the VS mode makes up for the lack of decent battle. :p

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all. Sonicbrawler182, we get why you're upset with some of Mario Kart 8's contents, but that's no excuse for being arrogant and acting like a hypocrite.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Technically, that is an opinion.

And they are fleshed out fairly well. You can tell a lot about them.
Ludwig is cocky. He laughs at you when you fight him and is extremely surprised when he loses.
Iggy is crazy and cocky. He taunts you and uses machinery. He also has the swirly eyes and giant specs, which give the impression of a mad scientist.
There's a lot more to them than meets the eye.
No, because how are they fleshed out when they hardly have any backstory, no significant interaction with other characters?

And wow, crazy and cocky, that's such an interesting, fleshed out characterisation! :rolleyes:

Then again, one could say that flawed =/= bad.
You're making it sound like this game will be terrible because of said flaws. Like the game committed some crime because God forbid it has the Koopalings, that items aren't balanced, or all those nitpicks you have above. And yes, I understand this is a "AAA" game. But that doesn't mean it can't have flaws. Or should be condemned because it's not "perfect" in your eyes.
That's not how the world works. You can't always get what you want. You're making this a bigger situation than it really is.
verb
verb: flaw; 3rd person present: flaws; past tense: flawed; past participle: flawed; gerund or present participle: flawing
  1. 1.
    mar, weaken, or invalidate (something).
    "the computer game was flawed by poor programming"
So no, flaws are not something good and if you can get rid of them via patching, then you really, really should. Even if the game is otherwise great. Take Sonic Lost World for instance - it's a perfectly fine, solid, and fun game to play. While it has flaws that can't be fixed via a small patch, such as some questionable levels and a terrible sense of conveyance at times, there were other things that could be patched - and they were.

Now, Sonic Lost World is a single-player focused game. Most people will play through it once and be done with it for quite a while, if they don't trade it in. So really, patching was not something that was quite so necessary. Many people were already done with the game, and would not have any true use for these patches. Yet they still did it anyway, and now the game is even better than it initially was. While it's level design flaws were not fixable, at least the mechanics worked even better now. And people appreciated the patches. Some people even played the entire game again just to see how beneficial these changes were. And what's more, every single one of these changes was something reviewers and general fans alike spoke up about.

Mario Kart 8 is a multi-player/online focused game. It's a game that you are supposed to come back to quite a bit for years to come. So if it has issues that can be fixed via patch, it REALLY should be patched at some point, because if the game isn't patched, people will have to deal with these issues for years to come.

And I'm not saying "get over it", but what I am saying is we should just accept the flaws and appreciate the game for what it is.
At least Gatlin could.
First off, I'm not Gatlin. Why would you even suggest that I try to be more like another user like that?

And that attitude is exactly the problem here. Again, this is 2014. Games can be patched. I already stated that the game would be great regardless, but it can be even better and just an overall better experience by patching in some things. I also specifically stated that the roster is a pretty insignificant part of Mario Kart to me, but I said that "they didn't need all 7 Koopalings" because they are the real reason why the roster was so lackluster. Everyone seems to pin it on Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach. But they are only 2 of the 9 new characters in this game. And Pink Gold Peach was probably the result of "we need to fill up an extra row". She is just a texture swap. So I don't blame her for the roster being lackluster, the problem is that they spent time getting all seven Koopalings in.

They could easily expand the roster in the future with DLC though, and I hope they do (and there is a hint that they will).

Really now? Because judging by these past few posts I could think otherwise.
If you are going to ignore my own statement on my own opinions, and say "judging by these past few posts I could think otherwise", then I can only tell you that you have exceptionally poor judgement, or that you are simply in denial (and judging by your "Location", I guess you already know that).

And yes, I understand those problems that for some reason have to be addressed (Still don't get why however). But looking at them they come off to me as nitpicking/opinions (4 player multiplayer is just fine; The retextured characters aren't as bad as you think. Heck, Metal Mario had been around for a long time, it's not like they just thought of him now or filler; MKTV let's face it was more of a novel gimmick, it's not like it was meant for some big idea in the long run; The "joining" aspect if anything works better manually. What if you don't want to join? You should at least have the option. Besides, it's not that hard to pick "OK").
4 player multiplayer is fine, but the fact that there isn't 5 player (it was one of the advertised features of the Wii U) is just proof that the game was rushed, since the Wii U versions of many multi-platform games have this feature. I can honestly do without this feature myself, but I mentioned it as part of my point about it being rushed, not about the things I personally care about. I'm being objective and unbiased.

Metal Mario being around before doesn't make him any less lazy of an addition than he was before (they omit Diddy and Bowser.Jr yet prioritise Metal Mario?), and Pink Gold Peach was undeniably only added to fill up that row on the roster. But again, I don't so much care for the characters. Just pointing out the signs of the game being rushed. I'm gonna play as Rosalina the whole time when I unlock her anyway, but I can't ignore this from an objective, unbiased standpoint.

MKTV isn't a novel gimmick, it was supposed to be one of the biggest additions to the game, and it was talked about a lot. It's even getting it's own smartphone app. Nintendo want us to use it. But as it stands, there is no incentive to. The actual replays you can upload to YouTube are extremely limited and the editing is pretty much done for you (even though the GamePad would have been perfect for a basic editing interface). You can apparently do more when you are viewing them personally, but it's still very limited. If you really want to make cool, full length replays for this game, you're gonna need to have an external means of capturing footage and editing footage. Again, this isn't a problem for me personally since I own an Elgato Game Capture HD and I can use video editing software well enough. But looking at this objectively, it's a rushed feature that could be expanded upon through updates, and if that doesn't happen, a lot of people will be let down.

And for you to even insinuate that the game would be hindered by the addition of an invite system is just silly. You don't have to accept invites, but it would be nice to be able to send them, as it makes it easier to organise lobbies, or to quickly go from one friend's game to another via receiving an invite. Even better if the game was given a notification system, then you could simply get a little sound to tell you got a notification (and you could turn notifications off if you didn't like them). This is standard, and even Nintendo Wii titles had this. Even Brawl had it.

You're making it sound like that's a bad thing. If anything, it shows quality playtesting in their games.
Patching is meant for games that for one reason or another have a glaring issue that no one caught during development and need to be fixed immediately. Like an apology in the form of data.
And for God's sake you don't wear them like a badge! They're not "battle scars", they show you screwed up!
If there is something wrong with a game (and some of Nintendo's other games do have problems), then it should be fixed. If you don't even make an effort to patch little things, that's laziness. And they are worn like a badge. Developers who patch their games are respected because it shows they listen to feedback. It shows that they are willing to admit they did something wrong and not wait for the sequel to fix it.

Oh what? And the other Mario Kart characters are just bursting with personality and depth?
Don't single out the Koopalings with just this. What about Dry Bones? Or Koopa Troopa? Maybe even Shy Guy? Last time I checked they have just as much personality as the kids. And yet somehow they get out scratch free in this. What's with that?!
I never said that Mario Kart characters need tons of personality and depth to be playable (even though some of them do), other people said the Koopalings were very fleshed out characters, and I was just pointing out how that just is not true. Again, I don't really care much about the roster once I have my favourites. I'm actually missing one of my favourites (Dry Bowser), but I don't mind, I have other characters. But again, objectively, the seven Koopalings are hogging the roster. And I'd much rather have Shy Guy, Honey Queen, King Boo, Diddy Kong, Bowser.Jr, Birdo, and Funky Kong than the 7 Koopalings. It least those even characters would be more visually distinct, even if I don't particularly care for them.

Do you just enjoy being an ******* and hurting your chances of making any friends in this community? All you do it insult or call people out then ***** about things that dont matter.

And for your information, its obvious I was exaggerating, it doesnt take much to realize that.
I have not been a "*******". I've used a bit of sass the odd time, but I've been far from mean spirited, and I have no intention of being mean-spirited.
If me having differing opinions on a video game that are solid and well-backed up is enough to get you angry, then quite frankly, I don't want to be friends with someone like that. I debate much more serious matters like religion and politics with my best friends (online and offline), and even if opinions differ or we use a bit of sass, we still get along just fine. So if you are getting riled up over my posts here, that's your problem, and not mine.

100% agree with Gashi. Sonicbrawler182, you need to check yourself and cut down with the digs. It's perfectly fine if you want to have a debate or conversation with your differing opinion (though kind of thick), but you're just coming off as extremely arrogant right now resorting to insults and your "I-know-more-than-you" attitude, which is rather condescending. You're not impressing anyone, it's definitely not going to help you gain respect of people here. Just cool it down a couple notches, and you'll be fine.

As for MK8 being rushed, I don't believe it's rushed. Though, I DO agree that battle mode on MK8 so far is looking really horrible. Hopefully the VS mode makes up for the lack of decent battle. :p
I didn't make any digs or insults. A dig would be "you're an incomprehensibly stupid and hopeless ****head" (also, I like how you ignore how Gashi made a blatant dig at me. I won't hold it against them, but I find it biased how you ignore his dig and try to say I make digs, when I never did). I have not said, or even thought about saying, anything along those lines. I've simply called people out on blatant objective errors, or poorly backed up opinions. And since none of my suggestions are harmful, I don't see the problem.

And I'm sorry if I have an "I-know-more-than-you" attitude, as I'm not trying to have one, but have you considered that I might ACTUALLY be more knowledgeable in some cases?

Also, I act no differently here than I do on other forums or on other topics on this website, yet I've got along with people just fine (and if you need me to back that up, I can post my messages/likes ratio). So again, if you guys have a problem with my "attitude" here, then that's something you guys need to sort out witin yourselves.

I honestly just get the feeling that you're mistaking my blunt and brutal honesty for arrogance. Because I'm actually quite modest (and while I can be arrogant, I know I have not been here). But I can fully admit that I am blunt and forward, and I tell it like it is. If that upsets people, they need to toughen up. That's the brutally honest truth.

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
No, because how are they fleshed out when they hardly have any backstory, no significant interaction with other characters?
Basically none of the characters have any backstory (Rosalina is the only one), and I wouldn't call fighting them in every game "no significant interacation".

And wow, crazy and cocky, that's such an interesting, fleshed out characterisation! :rolleyes:
Yeah, because Mario has tons of characterization! It's not like he does the exact same thing each game.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Basically none of the characters have any backstory (Rosalina is the only one), and I wouldn't call fighting them in every game "no significant interacation".

Yeah, because Mario has tons of characterization! It's not like he does the exact same thing each game.
Luigi, Daisy, Bowser, and Donkey Kong all have some degree of backstory. And they all have a lot of characterisation.

And Mario has TONS of characterisation! So much, that you could easily diagnose him as being a sociopath!

But again, I never said characterisation and backstory was important in Mario Kart, I simply contested that the Koopalings have those things beyond the SMB3 cartoon (which the games pay no heed to).

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Luigi, Daisy, Bowser, and Donkey Kong all have some degree of backstory. And they all have a lot of characterisation.
The koopalings have almost as much backstory as any of those characaters.
Luigi: Mario's cowardly, outshined brother
Daisy: Princess of Sarasaland
Bowser: Mutant turtle who kidnaps Peach for no reason
Donkey Kong: Ape who loves bananas
Koopalings: Bowser's adopted children
And Mario has TONS of characterisation! So much, that you could easily diagnose him as being a sociopath!
Video games don't use human logic! Game Theory tries to put human logic into games, which does not work.
But again, I never said characterisation and backstory was important in Mario Kart, I simply contested that the Koopalings have those things beyond the SMB3 cartoon (which the games pay no heed to).
That's an opinion, so we can't really debate over that.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
-info-
So no, flaws are not something good and if you can get rid of them via patching, then you really, really should.
And yet, if that's all you look at in a game. You've missed the point.
Going to Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed (since you've pulled it up yourself). That game has it's fair share of issues and glitches. Yet somehow it came out fine. So how come MK8 can't?

Even if the game is otherwise great. Take Sonic Lost World for instance - it's a perfectly fine, solid, and fun game to play. While it has flaws that can't be fixed via a small patch, such as some questionable levels and a terrible sense of conveyance at times, there were other things that could be patched - and they were.
Now, Sonic Lost World is a single-player focused game. Most people will play through it once and be done with it for quite a while, if they don't trade it in. So really, patching was not something that was quite so necessary. Many people were already done with the game, and would not have any true use for these patches. Yet they still did it anyway, and now the game is even better than it initially was. While it's level design flaws were not fixable, at least the mechanics worked even better now. And people appreciated the patches. Some people even played the entire game again just to see how beneficial these changes were. And what's more, every single one of these changes was something reviewers and general fans alike spoke up about.
Wait let me get this straight.
You'll yap at MK8 for being anything but perfect, yet Sonic Lost World (which you've said it yourself has flaws) get's a slap on the wrist?
If that's not utter bias. I don't know what is.

But yet, referring to your "single player" post here. Shouldn't a single-player game be held with the same concerns as a multi-player game in terms of re-playability? I mean sure, multiplayer games do tend to have a longer life span, but then again, if a single-player game has little replayability, then why buy it if it's only gonna last a weekend? Wouldn't you want something to keep going back? It's just multiplayer games have it easier.

Mario Kart 8 is a multi-player/online focused game. It's a game that you are supposed to come back to quite a bit for years to come. So if it has issues that can be fixed via patch, it REALLY should be patched at some point, because if the game isn't patched, people will have to deal with these issues for years to come.
Now, I could go on and on about how it doesn't. But you see, both of us don't know the answer to this.
Why? Because the game isn't even out yet. We don't know yet if there's a reason to "patch" the game. Why? Because you're only referring to ideas. We don't know if it does until we actually sit down and see it for ourselves. Sure, we've had video content, and reviews. But this is your viewpoint we're talking about.

Look at Meta Knight for example, we didn't call him broken because of info or ideas. We called him broken because we played the game and saw for ourselves.

First off, I'm not Gatlin. Why would you even suggest that I try to be more like another user like that?
Gee I don't know, why would I ask you to be reasonable? You tell me.

And that attitude is exactly the problem here. Again, this is 2014. Games can be patched. I already stated that the game would be great regardless, but it can be even better and just an overall better experience by patching in some things. I also specifically stated that the roster is a pretty insignificant part of Mario Kart to me, but I said that "they didn't need all 7 Koopalings" because they are the real reason why the roster was so lackluster. Everyone seems to pin it on Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach. But they are only 2 of the 9 new characters in this game. And Pink Gold Peach was probably the result of "we need to fill up an extra row". She is just a texture swap. So I don't blame her for the roster being lackluster, the problem is that they spent time getting all seven Koopalings in.

They could easily expand the roster in the future with DLC though, and I hope they do (and there is a hint that they will).
No, the "my opinion is the alpha and omega" is not the right mentality. As it only makes you look like a elitist jerk.
And look, I'm mad at the whole roster thing as well, but then again, it's what we got. So you either accept it or have a terrible experience. Your choice.

If you are going to ignore my own statement on my own opinions, and say "judging by these past few posts I could think otherwise", then I can only tell you that you have exceptionally poor judgement, or that you are simply in denial (and judging by your "Location", I guess you already know that).
Oh gee, you're the fourth or fifth person to make that joke. Good for you!
But let's be serious here. I've only been here a few days. And all I've seen of you is whining and moaning. "Why don't we have this?" "Why do we have that?" You can't blame a man for thinking so.
It's called a "first impression". Look it up.

4 player multiplayer is fine, but the fact that there isn't 5 player (it was one of the advertised features of the Wii U) is just proof that the game was rushed, since the Wii U versions of many multi-platform games have this feature. I can honestly do without this feature myself, but I mentioned it as part of my point about it being rushed, not about the things I personally care about. I'm being objective and unbiased.
No, it's because that they just didn't care about five player multiplayer.
Maybe you should get off your high horse and face the facts. They didn't do anything wrong. This game was not rushed, it's just your bias saying so.
And that's the issue, many of your issues are "trivial", nitpicks even. But whatever, that's your problem.

Oh, how this paragraph give me such laughter. you could've just played it straight. But then you go on to "objective and unbiased". It's like a back-handed slap in the face! Oh bravo! I applaud! Clearly I don't know my place! Here, I can just leave and keep this to the "expert", cause what do I know?!
Oh golly gee, what other insults do you have? Maybe next you'll say that I'm an idiot! Or maybe that I don't know a good game from a bad one! Just so many surprises with sonicbrawler182!

Metal Mario being around before doesn't make him any less lazy of an addition than he was before (they omit Diddy and Bowser.Jr yet prioritise Metal Mario?), and Pink Gold Peach was undeniably only added to fill up that row on the roster. But again, I don't so much care for the characters. Just pointing out the signs of the game being rushed. I'm gonna play as Rosalina the whole time when I unlock her anyway, but I can't ignore this from an objective, unbiased standpoint.
Gee, what's not "rushed" to you!
They most likely went with Pink Metal Peach because of the popularity of Metal Mario. Because I don't know about you, but some of us maybe liked that character. Surprising I know. And like you've said, there's DLC. So what's the big issue here?

Oh, and sure buddy, saying "an objective, unbiased standpoint" again doesn't make you look narcissistic. Clearly.

MKTV isn't a novel gimmick, it was supposed to be one of the biggest additions to the game, and it was talked about a lot. It's even getting it's own smartphone app. Nintendo want us to use it. But as it stands, there is no incentive to. The actual replays you can upload to YouTube are extremely limited and the editing is pretty much done for you (even though the GamePad would have been perfect for a basic editing interface). You can apparently do more when you are viewing them personally, but it's still very limited. If you really want to make cool, full length replays for this game, you're gonna need to have an external means of capturing footage and editing footage. Again, this isn't a problem for me personally since I own an Elgato Game Capture HD and I can use video editing software well enough. But looking at this objectively, it's a rushed feature that could be expanded upon through updates, and if that doesn't happen, a lot of people will be let down.
So then we go to other options (heck, you already have one yourself). It's not like it's a major part of MK8. you can go on without it.

And for you to even insinuate that the game would be hindered by the addition of an invite system is just silly. You don't have to accept invites, but it would be nice to be able to send them, as it makes it easier to organise lobbies, or to quickly go from one friend's game to another via receiving an invite. Even better if the game was given a notification system, then you could simply get a little sound to tell you got a notification (and you could turn notifications off if you didn't like them). This is standard, and even Nintendo Wii titles had this. Even Brawl had it.
But yet, has this proven to be terrible yet? Have you seen it for yourself.
Because right now it seems like you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

If there is something wrong with a game (and some of Nintendo's other games do have problems), then it should be fixed. If you don't even make an effort to patch little things, that's laziness. And they are worn like a badge. Developers who patch their games are respected because it shows they listen to feedback. It shows that they are willing to admit they did something wrong and not wait for the sequel to fix it.
Not how I see it.
If anything, it shows humility. No one wants to admit their game is bad or flawed. But it's the good developers that know when they've screwed up, and will admit to it.
Then again, that's implying this game needs patching. Maybe for some of the game-breaking glitches, but I don't know about those "issues" you've said.
Also, let's get this straight. You're issues go in the category of "updates", not "patches".
Updates are used when they add something new to it, they make the game better. It's also called "DLC".
Patches are used when a serious glaring issue needs to be addressed. Of which none of yours go under.

Also, I don't know about you, but saying it the way you are doesn't help you in the long run. It only makes you look worse. It implies that you believe your opinion is fact.

I never said that Mario Kart characters need tons of personality and depth to be playable (even though some of them do), other people said the Koopalings were very fleshed out characters, and I was just pointing out how that just is not true. Again, I don't really care much about the roster once I have my favourites. I'm actually missing one of my favourites (Dry Bowser), but I don't mind, I have other characters. But again, objectively, the seven Koopalings are hogging the roster. And I'd much rather have Shy Guy, Honey Queen, King Boo, Diddy Kong, Bowser.Jr, Birdo, and Funky Kong than the 7 Koopalings. It least those even characters would be more visually distinct, even if I don't particularly care for them.
Once again, they could just add other characters via DLC. You've said it yourself. So there is hope.

---
I don't know about you, but I'd rather not continue with this.
Look, if three mods, a competitive Mario Kart player, and people who argue with reason can't get through. Then why continue? I wouldn't.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
One thing about the Koopalings; why do people gripe they're similar when they're all quite different from each other? Look at Mario and Luigi. Or Peach and Daisy.
It's mostly coming from people who are angry about King Boo, Diddy Kong and the likes being cut. They're still sour because they believe that their favourite veterans should never be touched, and are more "deserving" than the Koopalings. I do understand why they're angry in a way, but at the same time, lashing out on other characters that are unique is just plain overreacting, and will probably cool down in time once people start playing. I firmly believe that if Diddy, Birdo, Dry Bones and all the others were included WITH the characters we already have now, the hate wouldn't exist except for maybe Pink Gold Peach.

Plus, who knows, we may end up getting the other characters in DLC anyway. Personally though, I'm pretty content with the roster.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The koopalings have almost as much backstory as any of those characaters.
Luigi: Mario's cowardly, outshined brother
Daisy: Princess of Sarasaland
Bowser: Mutant turtle who kidnaps Peach for no reason
Donkey Kong: Ape who loves bananas
Koopalings: Bowser's adopted children

Video games don't use human logic! Game Theory tries to put human logic into games, which does not work.

That's an opinion, so we can't really debate over that.

Luigi befriended the residents of Yoshi's Island at a young age, had two games to himself to flesh out his character, and had big roles in the RPGs and Paper Mario games. He even has pages upon pages worth of a diary in the original Paper Mario. And in Super Paper Mario, he had a dark alter-ego (Mr.L) that showed a completely different, repressed side of him. He's unarguably the most definitively fleshed out character in the entire franchise (and one of Nintendo's most fleshed out characters in general). I like Rosalina a bit more than Luigi, but even I can't deny that Luigi has had his actual character and background explored more than her.

Daisy is established as a hot blooded tomboy and was in some sort of relationship with Mario at some point. She has since gained affection for Luigi, and it is implied that they have also been together, or at the very least, Daisy idolises Luigi and wants to be with him (and if the latter is true but not the former, then it can be deduced that Daisy has a sort of overbearing, unrequited love for Luigi).

Bowser actually has affectionate feelings for Peach (yes, it's canon). But in terms of his actual character, there is a lot more to him. Again, the RPGs and such establish a lot. He's also not all bad, as in Sunshine, he is shown to genuinely care about his son, and even apologises for lying to him about what is actually a very serious issue (who Bowser Jr's mother is.

Donkey Kong has a definitive family and lineage, and is also established as holding affections for Pauline. I admittedly don't know much beyond that myself, because I have not played much of the DKC games, but it's at least not overly one dimensional.

The Koopalings are Bowser's adopted children that simply want mayhem and do his bidding. They have one-dimensional personalities as individiuals, but they differ by region, and are bare-bones. As such, their alias in European regions is "Bowser's Minions".

And video games can use human logic just fine. Entire games revolve around it. Shigeru Miyamoto even has a rather human way of rationalising the Mario franchise - he personally views the franchise's characters as actors, and their adventures as shows. This was stated in the very same interview where he confirmed that the Koopalings are Bowser's adopted children.

----------------------------

And yet, if that's all you look at in a game. You've missed the point.
Going to Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed (since you've pulled it up yourself). That game has it's fair share of issues and glitches. Yet somehow it came out fine. So how come MK8 can't?
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed had patches, some being exclusive to certain versions. :V

Wait let me get this straight.
You'll yap at MK8 for being anything but perfect, yet Sonic Lost World (which you've said it yourself has flaws) get's a slap on the wrist?
If that's not utter bias. I don't know what is.
No, in fact I acknowledged that Sonic Lost World's bigger problems were still there, but they simply are too big to be patched in. They'd require an entirely different build and reprint of the game. But I was praising it for patching whatever it could. And if you still think I'm biased towards Sonic Lost World, I can't wait to send you links to each and every part of my playthrough of the game (where I call out a lot of it's bigger problems) which I just finished recording footage for today. I'll probably be uploading the first part this weekend!

But yet, referring to your "single player" post here. Shouldn't a single-player game be held with the same concerns as a multi-player game in terms of re-playability? I mean sure, multiplayer games do tend to have a longer life span, but then again, if a single-player game has little replayability, then why buy it if it's only gonna last a weekend? Wouldn't you want something to keep going back? It's just multiplayer games have it easier.
Sonic Lost World doesn't have an issue with replayability, there is actually a lot to do in that game. But multi-player games are concerned with replayability more than single-player games (and ironically, Sonic Lost World does have multiplayer components anyway, along with it's robust single-player experience).
Take Portal for example. You can beat it in less than hour if you know what you're doing, but it's still regarded as an amazing and rather revolutionary game. However, it only actually demands one playthrough. While the game has some extra filler challenges, they are only there for the die-hard players. The game is mainly about it's campaign, and how artistic it is. It just wants you with it for one short, but enlightening and highly intriguing ride.

Mario Kart 8 on the other hand, is supposed to be a multi-player/online game. It makes hardly any effort to appeal to lone gamers. But that's fine, as long as it's multi-player and online is good enough. While they have mostly done a fine job, there are some things holding it back quite a bit - but they are easy to fix.

Since multi-player games like Mario Kart generally don't have an ending, in this day and age, they are expected to receive updates if there are any small flaws they can improve upon, because the games expect us to play them for a long time to come. Single-player games often don't have that kind of expectation.

Now, I could go on and on about how it doesn't. But you see, both of us don't know the answer to this.
Why? Because the game isn't even out yet. We don't know yet if there's a reason to "patch" the game. Why? Because you're only referring to ideas. We don't know if it does until we actually sit down and see it for ourselves. Sure, we've had video content, and reviews. But this is your viewpoint we're talking about.

Look at Meta Knight for example, we didn't call him broken because of info or ideas. We called him broken because we played the game and saw for ourselves.
The reviews are already out, and I've gathered enough information to know about certain things that are annoying enough to want to be rid of, but could be fixed with some updates.

-GamePad should support split-screen to some capacity. If I'm playing two-player, one player should have the TV all to themselves, the other should be able to use the GamePad screen. This is a standard feature of the Wii U, it's one of it's most attractive features. Mario Kart of all things, really should have this, since it's a AAA, first party title that encourages local multi-player. Also, the two-player split screen is done particularly badly here - instead of being split horizontally, it's split vertically. Racing games should have it split horizontally, as you can see more to your left and right, without compromising your view in front. This issue is completely resolved if they just patch in the ability to use the GamePad as one of the player's screens in multi-player.

-Battle Mode is plagued with issues. The obvious one being rehashing the race tracks (not so much because it's lazy, but because their designs don't even fit Battle Mode very well). Hopefully they give us arenas eventually as DLC.
However, the other issue is the "ghost" mechanic, which causes a ton of problems. When players are knocked out, they become ghosts who are completely invisible to the other players, but can still attack players who are still in the game. This isn't as much of a problem with less players or locally (since you can screen-peak when playing locally). However, throw in 12 or so players online, and it becomes a mess. Reviewers have claimed that most of the time, it's really ghosts that finish the match. This removes all sense of real competition, since the person who scores the final hit is never identified, and the player who places second is essentially receiving a giant middle finger to the face. With 10 ghosts besides the two last standing hurling stuff at the other two players as they try to make it towards each other, one of the "living" players actually finishing the match is going to be an extreme rarity, especially considering the scale of some courses. To make matters worse, the items ghost players use are ALSO invisible to the living players. And if you were playing online with another player also playing off of your Wii U, if one of you becomes a ghost, and one of you is among the final two, the ghost player could unfairly gang up on the other living player besides you, and that player may not have a buddy playing alongside them who can help them out when they are a ghost.

In a nutshell, Battle Mode is completely broken.

They could easily patch this, by changing the rules of how ghost mode works - instead of hurting living players while in ghost mode and potentially eliminating them, hitting them should simply stun them. This way, ghosts still have something to do and can cause mayhem, but in the end, the player who wins actually has to make the final shot themselves.

-Reviewers have complained that selecting vehicle parts each time you start a new event is tedious, and I have to agree. There should be a quicker way of doing things, because when I'm playing with a bunch of friends who may not know the game as well as me, they shouldn't have to have me walk them through it. The ability to select perfectly matched up sets automatically would be really simple to add, it's as simple as adding a line of code or two. I myself have edited another person's code before to add new inputs into a game, and I can confirm that it's a piece of cake, even for a novice game designer like myself. The Mario Kart team could add this in their sleep. So there is no reason not to.

Also, being able to save custom vehicle combinations would be nice too. It would speed things up for those who have combinations they really like.

-Invite option should be available online. I really don't need to explain this (and I already have regardless).

-MKTV could do with some more worthwhile features, and a way to handle edits more directly, rather than setting generic values and letting the game do all of the work.

Those are the things I have off the top of my head. There is no reason to not make these patches. Objectively, nobody would be unhappy to see these.

The rest of the post is just really incoherent and in all fairness, you spend most of your time trying to make digs at me, so I won't pay it any heed.

Also, let's get this straight. You're issues go in the category of "updates", not "patches".
Updates are used when they add something new to it, they make the game better. It's also called "DLC".
Patches are used when a serious glaring issue needs to be addressed. Of which none of yours go under.
...Except for this.

Patches and updates are the exact same thing. Updates are the official term, "patches" is the figurative nickname for them that just sort of caught on (as when you are updating a game to fix some issues or make it better, you are "patching it up", like how you would "patch up" a wound you receive by using a bandage). Updates/patches are automatic and are required to continue playing a game online. Updates/patches are always free.

DLC, or "Add-on Content" (DLC is just a nickname that stuck - technically, updates/patches are DLC if you interpret "DLC" literally - "Downloadable Conten"), is content you download off of an online store, often times paying for it. Where patches/updates generally only make changes or fix problems, Add-on Content literally adds new things that weren't there before.

Sometimes the two can function in tandem - a lot of Add-on Content is actually downloaded via a mandatory update, but when you actually download it on the store, you are downloading the key that unlocks the content.
Also, sometimes when developers are feeling REALLY generous, they add new content via patch, though this practice mostly only happens on Steam/PC, because patching a game on a console is a lot more expensive and more complicated for everyone but first party developers.

If you want an example of this on a console - Tekken 6 had a single-player campaign mode, but through patching, Bandai Namco added an online co-op mode for this campaign mode, and it included 10 massively tweaked levels to cater to having two human players at once.

So yeah, only good things can come from patching up Mario Kart 8 as we notice it's problems, and some are already noticeable.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Oh trust me, you won't get out of this. The pot never gets away with calling the kettle black.
The rest of the post is just really incoherent and in all fairness, you spend most of your time trying to make digs at me, so I won't pay it any heed.
The only reason I said it like I did is because you did come off as a jerk at times. Especially with saying "unbiased" and "objective". With one of those you phrase it as "I'm unbiased and objective." Which to me came off as a back-handed insult. It told me that you've officially stopped caring about what I had to say, that I was wrong and needed correcting. I'm not a debater anymore in your eyes, just a monkey that needed correcting. And I don't know about you, but I for one didn't like that.

I've taken this crap from others as well, you're not the only one. But all it does is show me arrogance. And that's what really got me. For example, Gatlin tries to be more optimistic and tries to explain that it isn't as bad, you instead call him "apologetic". As if it's wrong to act that way. And that's just one of the numerous examples. And let's face it, since you really didn't care about me and what I had to say (other than I was wrong), then why should I take you seriously then?
I was only doing what you were doing, after all.

This has gone on for too long. Saying your opinion is one thing, but this persistence and disrespect you have is what really angers me. And it's very hypocritical of you to yell at me over something you've done yourself. It's not you listening to reason anymore. This is you having respect for others. If we can respect your opinion (heck, we've tried to bury the hatchet multiple times now), then why can't you accept ours?
I'm not saying to like what we think, or change it because we said so. But you can at least respect ours. That's all I'm trying to say.

Last edited:

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
So again, if you guys have a problem with my "attitude" here, then that's something you guys need to sort out witin yourselves.
"People need to just deal with me!". No one has to do anything. That's not the right attitude to have when dealing with other people. If people are coming forward saying you're doing too much, cool the attitude, or whatever the case might be, then it's best to swallow your pride and do just that.

There's a community of people here, into many sub-parts of the forum, this is the Mario Kart community of SmashBoards. If people here don't like how you act, that's something you got to work on changing, else good luck ever getting involved with the community here. No one's going to want to deal with someone who has such a condescending attitude, and no one has to either. I'm just warning you, because that's exactly what will happen if you continue your "IDC what people think of me, I'm going to do what I want!".

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Okay, originally I tried giving this debate a chance since it was just involving a few people; but now that it has spiraled into involving pretty much the entire community of the thread; and not only that but having insults thrown, no matter how minor, I think it is best to just drop this thing entirely. Mind you, these minor insults came from both sides, as to not single anyone out.

I really do think that all that needed to be said, has been said, and more than what was needed to be said, has been said as well.

I kindly ask for this to stop, and if I see any essay length posts past this post dealing with the same content as before, I'm just going to remove it and any responses from the thread. So I suggest not wasting time by typing out a huge post, because it will just be thrown in the garbage.

Until then, I suggest following this wonderful suggestion:

Let's save the aggression for the track. :p

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
So, to start a new topic, what kind of ride is everyone planning to use? I'll probably use the Pipe Frame for old-school fun.

Phantom Gamer

<font color="#ff00ff">pranked!</font>
Haven't checked out the parts list yet, so I've yet to see what kind of build as well as vehicle type I'll be using.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Came here to see if there was any updates or inside news/ rumors regarding mario kart.
Found mindless squabbling.
Left intrigued, with a slight grin.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I dont know how I forgot to mention this, but I totally got to use Mario Kart 8 at Gamestop for about 3 hours.

Its some fun stuff, but to my grand misfortune its way too easy....

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I dont know how I forgot to mention this, but I totally got to use Mario Kart 8 at Gamestop for about 3 hours.

Its some fun stuff, but to my grand misfortune its way too easy....
The real fun/challenge comes from racing against human opponents.

It's a lot like the Smash series in that regard.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'm pretty sure the AI is set to dumber than 50cc for obvious reasons.

Unfortunately the GameStop I've been playing at doesn't have their Wiimote sync'd up to the Wii U, so I couldn't play Multiplayer.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So, to start a new topic, what kind of ride is everyone planning to use? I'll probably use the Pipe Frame for old-school fun.
At the moment, I'm only really interested with the outside drifting vehicles, since I feel that inside drifting may be more of a liability with the fact that they can't drift as sharply as the likes of the Mach Bike and Bullet Bike.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

I'm probably gonna use that thing. No idea what it's called or how it handles, but it's a quad bike, and quad bikes are beast.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

I'm probably gonna use that thing. No idea what it's called or how it handles, but it's a quad bike, and quad bikes are beast.
It's called the Standard ATV, and it boosts weight and traction, at the cost of acceleration and handling. It shares these attributes with the Badwagon, Steel Driver, and Tri-Speeder (all of which are kart bodies).

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I may think about using the Pipe Frame, Battleship and Circuit Special. I'll be sure to experiment though, since those may unfortunately not have the best of stats, or handle horribly. Either way, I don't think I'll be touching the bikes unless they end up being OP again.

EDIT: For anyone interested, here is some footage of how online is going to be like! Multiple races take place in the footage, and the item system can be deeply assessed. The the looks of things, skill and knowing the track (watch that German Metal Mario) are key in MK8. Notice how the Yoshi who hosted struggled hard, and was not forgiven for making mistakes.

Overall, I like what I'm seeing here.

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
So guys, what are some wacky kart combinations?

Bowser/Wario/Waluigi - Prancer
Bowser/Wario/Waluigi - Mr Scooty
Bowser/Wario/Waluigi - Biddybud
Yoshi - Yoshi Bike

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Based on the video that xHackAttackx posted, you probably shouldn't jump the gun with online racing, especially when you haven't even unlocked any vehicle parts.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I still remember designing a stat calculator for Mario Kart 7, but the website service that I used to make the PHP script took down my account for suspected abuse.

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Just gonna say i'm gonna come out of MK retirement and join the community on may 30th once again.

It isn't double dash, but I can manage, and if there is rankings, time to make myself known.

See y'all on the race track.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Yeah although the temptation to jump straight online will be pretty large I plan on spending most of the first several hours offline going for 3 stars, unlocking characters/parts, as well as familiarizing myself with the tracks and items.

After that it's time to kick some ass online. >:D

R0Y

Smash Master
Have we found who's the best character and vehicle are this time yet? In MKWii it was Cranky Kong and a bike. In MK7 it was Metal Mario or Rosalina.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Have we found who's the best character and vehicle are this time yet? In MKWii it was Cranky Kong and a bike. In MK7 it was Metal Mario or Rosalina.
Since no one has stat bonuses, it'll probably come down to which characters are the most reliable to use. Donkey Kong, Waluigi, Rosalina, and Roy Koopa are probably the most diverse with their combo options, as they can focus on balanced stats, high speed (up to 5.25/6), high acceleration (up to 4.75/6), high weight (up to 5.25/6), or high traction (up to 4.75/6).

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Based on the video that xHackAttackx posted, you probably shouldn't jump the gun with online racing, especially when you haven't even unlocked any vehicle parts.
Yeah, it literally looked like he ripped the game right out of the plastic, popped it in and ran straight online, haha. None of the characters were unlocked either from what I could tell.

As for me, I'll probably wait at least a few days to go online. I plan to unlock everything and perfect myself vs at least the CPUs with a 3 star rank to at least gain a bit of knowledge on every track. After all, the tracks we want are going to come up a lot less frequently given the new voting system in MK8; being a well-rounded racer with a well-rounded combo will probably be key. No more Toadette on the Magikruiser spamming GBA Shy Guy Beach, or Funky on his Flame Runner spamming Rainbow Road, Delfino Square, etc.

Top Bottom