• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Mario Kart General Discussion - 200CC Announced | Second DLC Pack Coming in May!

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Has there actually been any news on DLC at all besides interactivity with Amiibos (which is kind of separate but equal)?

_ :rosalina: _
. \ ....|..../

Rosalina is clueless.

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
So, one crazy idea I have that could give major differences between karts and bikes depending on the way you want to play, but still stay somewhat balanced, is that bikes get MKWii's inside drift, but they can't use the orange mini turbo, and karts would have outside drift, but their orange mini turbo would basically give a mushroom boost, just without the off road boost.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So, one crazy idea I have that could give major differences between karts and bikes depending on the way you want to play, but still stay somewhat balanced, is that bikes get MKWii's inside drift, but they can't use the orange mini turbo, and karts would have outside drift, but their orange mini turbo would basically give a mushroom boost, just without the off road boost.
The balance between bikes and karts seems fine IMO. Karts just are all around easier to use, while bikes are a little more advanced and complex.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
The balance between bikes and karts seems fine IMO. Karts just are all around easier to use, while bikes are a little more advanced and complex.
I know. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the way they are now, that's just a little idea I had.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think your idea would end up making karts indefinitely better. Keep in mind that they designed this game (specifically the new tracks), so that certain body types are better suited to different tracks. Inside drifting is already best on some tracks, as is outside drifting. Giving karts mushroom level turbo would probably tip the balance too much, even without the ability to go off road.

For example, I have a Rosalina kart combo that has near maxed out speed stat, as well as good handling, so if you gave me a mushroom level boost for my drifts, I would absolutely dominate some tracks, for example, GBA Mario Circuit, since the roads are so wide. Even more so if I use Fire Hopping.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I think your idea would end up making karts indefinitely better. Keep in mind that they designed this game (specifically the new tracks), so that certain body types are better suited to different tracks. Inside drifting is already best on some tracks, as is outside drifting. Giving karts mushroom level turbo would probably tip the balance too much, even without the ability to go off road.

For example, I have a Rosalina kart combo that has near maxed out speed stat, as well as good handling, so if you gave me a mushroom level boost for my drifts, I would absolutely dominate some tracks, for example, GBA Mario Circuit, since the roads are so wide. Even more so if I use Fire Hopping.
That's probably true. I guess the orange boost could just give a bigger boost than normal.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I don't think Bikes are as complex as I just think they are different.

You have to drift later and turn tighter but that's pretty much it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I made a table for anyone who's trying to design a 4+ acceleration combination. The image is quite large, so it's placed inside a collapse tag.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Wait, Sakurai was involved in making MK8? News to me
MK8 was also developed by Bandai Namco Games, same guys who're making Smash Bros 4 right now.
Also, doing a little wandering on wikipedia, The Nintendo EAD's Comprehensive Dev group will be making another game after they made Super Mario 64 DS, which is quite a while, same goes for the series being left alone for 9 years.

Also, I like that red shells are less powerful than they used to be.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Actually, Red Shells are able to stand right below your vehicle now, bypassing your defenses. They're still just as relentless as ever, though some tracks do mess them up, such as Sunshine Airport.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I haven't experienced it yet with all the defense I put up. Throwing your item directly to the it is better defence when near an item box, which I somehow keep succeeding. I know not to throw my red shells at split courses, because it would just pass by them.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Karts are more advanced though. Granted, for the wrong reason.
They can do that thing, what's it called, Fire Hopping? Boost Hopping? Something like that. It's a glitch, but only out-drifting vehicles can do it regardless.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Also, I like that red shells are less powerful than they used to be.
Compared to what Mario Kart Game? Next to Fire Flowers, Red Shells are the literal cancer of MK8, especially triple ones.
The only game I would very minorly agree with you here would be if you were comparing them to MK7.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Red Shells in Mario Kart 8 = a more plentiful Blue Shell in MK8 and a Red Shell on steroids in every other Mario Kart in my opinion. They're honestly so bad (in a strong way). They've improved substantially at navigating around the courses, and are much harder to wing off corners because they tend to stick to the middle of the road until finding their target. The stun from them is atrocious, and when 2nd gets three of them, you can guarantee that your lead is gone. Green Shells are probably the next most dangerous provided you're using your mirrors correctly and not getting nailed by every single one, and honestly, the Blue Shell is probably now the weakest of the bunch.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Green Shells don't bounce off of walls as much as in past games, but they are significantly bigger. They're probably bigger than the baby characters (or at least wider).

Red Shells are bloody ridiculous and definitely need a re-think. Especially since coins are now such a common item, making them impossible to block a majority of the time. Heck, I've dodged Red Shells, only to have them TURN AROUND and hit me. It's bull**** and I don't care what anyone says. Red Shells need to be nerfed. If they removed the coin item, or let me drag it behind me, then that's half of the problem solved.

Blue Shells honestly are the best they've been (in the sense that they are still balanced), and I don't have a problem with them as much, but I do think the Super Horn should be a little more common. This in turn would help the problem with Red Shells to a small extent, since a Super Horn can potentially block multiple Red Shells. I don't exactly agree with their implementation by principle, but it's tolerable.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I have gotta say having been on both sides of this event, getting triple red shells in 2nd place is pretty OP. Especially when more than 50% I'm getting coins in first, or my opponent is.

This might have been lag on my part, but I saw a red shell sitting on the ground while I was racing, passed it, and it hit me. I'd kind of like them to have a mine function like they did in Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart: Super Circuit but that could add even more to the problem. I'm a huge advocate for altering the Coin item in terms of its properties. It should be able to be dragged behind you, or reduce the stun you're in if you use it right after getting hit. Not being able to defend against things in first is pretty annoying, I mean sure there could be less of it. In that vein, maybe the chances of getting a coin in first should be like 20% or lower, or omitted once you have ten coins.

I've heard it said that coins give you a small speed boost even after 10. Is that true?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I have gotta say having been on both sides of this event, getting triple red shells in 2nd place is pretty OP. Especially when more than 50% I'm getting coins in first, or my opponent is.

This might have been lag on my part, but I saw a red shell sitting on the ground while I was racing, passed it, and it hit me. I'd kind of like them to have a mine function like they did in Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart: Super Circuit but that could add even more to the problem. I'm a huge advocate for altering the Coin item in terms of its properties. It should be able to be dragged behind you, or reduce the stun you're in if you use it right after getting hit. Not being able to defend against things in first is pretty annoying, I mean sure there could be less of it. In that vein, maybe the chances of getting a coin in first should be like 20% or lower, or omitted once you have ten coins.

I've heard it said that coins give you a small speed boost even after 10. Is that true?
Coins give you the TINIEST boost at 10 coins, but it makes no difference to the actual race. It's only really helpful for building acceleration, the effects are not noticeable when you are already at top speed.

Personally, I'd rather they just remove them, or implement some sort of use for them for those who are at 10 coins.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Coins give you the TINIEST boost at 10 coins, but it makes no difference to the actual race. It's only really helpful for building acceleration, the effects are not noticeable when you are already at top speed.

Personally, I'd rather they just remove them, or implement some sort of use for them for those who are at 10 coins.
See I thought it meant that you were at top speed for your vehicle when you were at ten coins, and then your top speed raised even slightly higher after that. The mini-boost is hardly anything if that's what it was talking about haha.

They definitely should put some sort of system in place once 10 coins have been acquired, and then reset that system when coins are lost. Or something ha

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
While I can think of more creative uses for coins, they aren't the sort of thing I can see being implemented through patching. However, adding the ability to drag coins should be as simple as copying a line of code or two from the scripts of other draggable items, so it should be really easy to patch in.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It wouldn't do you any good if you were able to carry coins behind you though, since they're not built for offense, and items can pass through them too.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Last I've checked, the Fake Item could not be used for defense either (except in Mario Kart 64), and yet it's an offensive item. You obviously didn't want that while frontrunning in Mario Kart Wii.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I never really got into Mario Kart Wii.

Most of my play time with that game was unlocking everything for my cousins in their house, I never actually played online.

Just because a previous game had the problem, doesn't mean it should be kept. Kinda goes against what a sequel is supposed to do.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The odd part is that in Mario Kart 7, you're pretty much guaranteed to get an item that has defensive uses. However, the Super Leaf uses up your item slot until it disappears, which can really be detrimental to you if the tail disappears at a bad time.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I think items dont depend on what place you are but rather on how close you are to the person whos one [lace in front of you and some luck. Im consistently getting green shells/coins in 10th place, but will get a star/golden mushroom in 2nd place when theres no one in front of me.

D

Deleted member

I've been going for speed + accel/handling combos lately. Accel and speed for obvious reasons, but handling can be incredibly good, being able to take turns so tightly and take a lot of tricky turns so easily can really be a godsend.
Also can anyone give me tips on that Music Park shortcut? I cannot for the life of me take it properly.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Also can anyone give me tips on that Music Park shortcut? I cannot for the life of me take it properly.
You basically have to drift from the outside as soon as you come off of the ramp after the section where the musical notes bounce you about. And you have to land on the drum while heading in a straight line across the right half of it. Landing too far on the left leaves on the grass, landing too far on the right sends you into a pit.

I hope that makes sense, it's hard to describe. It's a really tricky shortcut due to the drum being a bouncer (never did like bouncers in Mario Kart, they strip you of your control, but don't have a scripted path either, so you could end up anywhere).

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I barely know what you're talking about, but sometimes in Music Park I like to drift on the marimba (brown part that makes noise) and then drift in to the first mini-ramp and jump, hitting the item box and then drifting again on the xylophone (silver). Not exactly a shortcut, but useful

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I always take the shortcut at the end cuz its easy as **** with inward drift.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Its really easy, just go into Time Trials and practice it for like 2-3 minutes if youre not confident in it. All you do it right after leaving the bouncing area, just hug the left wall then as soon as you're about 2 or so vehicle lengths away from passing the fence to your right, drift hard to your right and Mini Turbo off the ledge onto the drum and let go of the control stick to straighten out.

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I find it easy personally, but it may be because I use inside-drifting vehicles about 90% of the time, and they take that final corner like a boss.

Top Bottom