• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario isn't bad because of Fludd.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
See the thing is. Fludd is good. It's amazing! But the thing is, Mario isn't special in Brawl. He's just to bland.

He's decent at best.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
Luigi doesn't have a cape neither does he have Fludd. mario's arguably the best edgeguarder in the game. I know u dont hate him, but u need to face a good mario..
Man you people kill me. I had to Rofl to Lol to mao in a few seconds. Do you think I've TRIED to be good with Mario. YES! I've spent hours training with Mario in Brawl. He was the FIRST CHARACTER I USED!!! Mario has sad ability to kill. BUT THE FORWARD SMASH! Is too predictable and it needs a sweetspot.

Edge guarding? Difficult in Brawl due to everyone being so **** floaty. Fludd is good at edge guarding, but not great. Lol at you saying his the best edge guarder in the game. Wario, Ness
Luigi, Lucas, Dedede, Marth e.c.t. All own Mario in terms of edge guarding. They use they air movement and aerial moves to edge guard with ease.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
It takes a will and the ability to train with one character to master them. Lucky mains sonic and he overshadows sonics bads with all of his wonders. People Maining mario will do the same thing:)
Lotion.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Man you people kill me. I had to Rofl to Lol to mao in a few seconds. Do you think I've TRIED to be good with Mario. YES! I've spent hours training with Mario in Brawl. He was the FIRST CHARACTER I USED!!! Mario has sad ability to kill. BUT THE FORWARD SMASH! Is too predictable and it needs a sweetspot.

Edge guarding? Difficult in Brawl due to everyone being so **** floaty. Fludd is good at edge guarding, but not great. Lol at you saying his the best edge guarder in the game. Wario, Ness
Luigi, Lucas, Dedede, Marth e.c.t. All own Mario in terms of edge guarding. They use they air movement and aerial moves to edge guard with ease.
dude i can edgeguard mk.... and even kirby. how can someone, bash mario this much? just because his fsmash is predictable doesn't mean i can't kill with it. i use it correctly and precisely. he's not perfect but GOD nothing is impossible

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman

Dude you fail...:(

Have you ever even seen a REAL mario mainer edgegaurd before? Ahem, errr excuse me, A BRAWL MARIO MAINER I MEAN! Mario's edgegaurding game has been vastly improved, his whole game as far as the edge has been buffed in general thanks to brawls physics. Please don't bash mario in this area if anything...

You'll only fail if you do...:bee:

acojan

Smash Apprentice
lmao at Spitfire's Epic sig .... roflroflcopters

... and yes ! fludd is amazing especially now that they can still grab the ledge with their back turned... its not that hard really...... and its great for spacing as well when people are getting into your personal space.

but i still think they should have made fludd charges carry over even after mario dies like wario's fart.... that would probably make it more balanced...... but it is still great. its just more of a convenience than anything

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
See the thing is. Fludd is good. It's amazing! But the thing is, Mario isn't special in Brawl. He's just to bland.

He's decent at best.
You say Mario isn´t special. That´s true in the way that he isn´t specially concentrated in the one thing. Also true is that he isn´t specially bad at anything. He can hold his own against anyone while other characters might have problems against certain type of enemies. I think that´s special.

You completely ignore Mario´s versatility in edgeguarding. The characters you listed all can edgeguard well if used correctly, but they don´t have the same choises as Mario. Mario can use fireballs, cape, midairs, footstool jump, edgehog and F.L.U.D.D., so he has guite many different ways to edgeguard and can adapt for the situation with the correct combination. I´m in no position to say whether he´s the best edgeguarder in the game or not, but I can say that he´s definitely one of the best.

And you said that youve practised a lot with Mario without getting better. I can believe that. Sometimes character´s fightning styles just don´t match their player´s ones. I never learned how to play with spacies in Melee so I didn´t use them. Just don´t take it out on Mario or his players if he isn´t the right character for you and everyone´ll be a lot happier.

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why FLUDD is look down upon so much. Sure, it doesn't do any damage, but it's wonderful at edge-guarding (knockback without allowing to foe to use Special-Up move) and it's good if someone's coming after you something like a fire flower or a special side move. It has been my saving grace many a time from Final Smash KOs and it also give you something to do while on the defensive. Besides, the Mario Tornado is still there, it just requires a little more preparation. The fact that it doesn't do any damage is kind of a good thing, since it won't come back to bite you in the butt if reflected and it can be countered.

The cape is also my best friend. Reflects most projectiles, like an infinite half-jump for recovery, and it flips around an opponent with a charged smash move. I don't think Mario is that bad at all. He's just... underused.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
The thing is, Mario may be "decent" at edge guarding to you, but someone here was bold enough to say he was the best! No one targeted that argument, just goes to how biased you people are. Look, im totally not digging this board, everyone here is too biased.

Fire balls edge guard well. The Cape... Not so much. In Brawl, everyone is floaty and most people can get back on the stage fine. Plus I find Fludd not that useful for edgeguarding half the roster. Anyone with a decent recovery will always make it back.

PS: Everything good you say about Mario, Luigi does better by tenfold. He simply edge guards better due to his bair's knockback, floatyness in the air, and high jumps. Mario does this to a slightly lesser degree, but does beat Luigi in one thing only, Air ground combat. And again lol at people saying he was buffed. In Melee, he was the combo king in Brawl, combo's work less (multiple air dodges, slower air combat, people pop up into the air by most moves) so therefore he's nerfed at his forté .

Upsmash was nerfed to hell, downsmash was, and his forward smash was nerfed too. It must be sweetspotted.

You come here insulting me, but you don't know jack about Mario! I played Melee last night, and even melee Mario FEEL was better. So if you want to keep arguing, fine by me.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
Dude you fail...:(

Have you ever even seen a REAL mario mainer edgegaurd before? Ahem, errr excuse me, A BRAWL MARIO MAINER I MEAN! Mario's edgegaurding game has been vastly improved, his whole game as far as the edge has been buffed in general thanks to brawls physics. Please don't bash mario in this area if anything...

You'll only fail if you do...:bee:
I thought you we're cool Chookey. Nope just a biased fanboy.

Iwan

Smash Ace
No. Mario is definitely worse in Brawl. With the lack of combo's and predictable aerials, Mario is below average. Im also pissed off that WARIO is better than Mario. Thats not fair... Of course, many of you here
will disagree and say Mario pwns Wario... Alas... Oh well, at least I explained how Luigi aerials overshadows Mario.

PS: Fludd again, is an amazing move. Just overlooked by noobs.
haha, this is the second thread i've seen you make saying "So and so is bad", or "So and so sucks"...(specifically peach, and with this thread, mario). lol.

I don't think he's bad. Are you arguing that he's worse than MELEE mario? Because I'd one hundred percent agree with that. Almost all veteran characters got nerfed in some way or another, although i would say mario is definitely at the very least middle of mid tier, if only for his edge guarding abilities and decent....uh....everything else.

Agreed on not being as good as the melee counterpart though. Also, wario is **** good.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Didn't read most of everything, but I think Brawl Mario is worst compared to Melee Mario.

In Melee, since Mario pretty much has no kill moves, his entire game pretty much consisted of edge guarding. The way I played Mario in Melee was to just get the opponent of the stage some how, and edge guard from there. If you were a good edge guarder, the opponent pretty much had little to no chance to get back on the stage.

In Brawl, edge guarding, although still exists, is a lot less. I rely on up smashes and side smashes more than I did in Melee, to try to get some kills. If my opponent is off the stage, I edge guard of course, but eventually they get back on the stage.. but in the process of trying to return on the stage, they usually end up getting a lot of percentage =]

I was a Mario mainer in Melee, and planned to in Brawl as well... but then I didn't like how there's almost no edge guarding.. so I played around with characters.. Almost stuck with Luigi or Pokemon Trainer.. but eventually came back to Mario, just had to adjust my game play =]

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
Didn't read most of everything, but I think Brawl Mario is worst compared to Melee Mario.

In Melee, since Mario pretty much has no kill moves, his entire game pretty much consisted of edge guarding. The way I played Mario in Melee was to just get the opponent of the stage some how, and edge guard from there. If you were a good edge guarder, the opponent pretty much had little to no chance to get back on the stage.

In Brawl, edge guarding, although still exists, is a lot less. I rely on up smashes and side smashes more than I did in Melee, to try to get some kills. If my opponent is off the stage, I edge guard of course, but eventually they get back on the stage.. but in the process of trying to return on the stage, they usually end up getting a lot of percentage =]

I was a Mario mainer in Melee, and planned to in Brawl as well... but then I didn't like how there's almost no edge guarding.. so I played around with characters.. Almost stuck with Luigi or Pokemon Trainer.. but eventually came back to Mario, just had to adjust my game play =]
Thank you. Finally someone wih reason.

haha, this is the second thread i've seen you make saying "So and so is bad", or "So and so sucks"...(specifically peach, and with this thread, mario). lol.

I don't think he's bad. Are you arguing that he's worse than MELEE mario? Because I'd one hundred percent agree with that. Almost all veteran characters got nerfed in some way or another, although i would say mario is definitely at the very least middle of mid tier, if only for his edge guarding abilities and decent....uh....everything else.

Agreed on not being as good as the melee counterpart though. Also, wario is **** good.
My thoughts exactly.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
ok i was wrong about saying he was the best. -_- but i just dont have a problem with edgeguarding at all. Mario's at least mid tier at best

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
The thing is, Mario may be "decent" at edge guarding to you, but someone here was bold enough to say he was the best! No one targeted that argument, just goes to how biased you people are.
Look, im totally not digging this board, everyone here is too biased.
Because this the Mario section. You expected users here to agree with you?

Fireballs edge guard well. The Cape... Not so much. In Brawl, everyone is floaty and most people can get back on the stage fine. Plus I find Fludd not that useful for edgeguarding half the roster.
That's because you have to use them both...usually.
Anyone with a decent recovery will always make it back.
Anybody with multiple jumps could make it back sure, but there were certain characters you couldn't cape in Melee.

P.S. Everything good you say about Mario, Luigi does better by tenfold. He simply edge guards better due to his bair's knockback, floatyness in the air, and high jumps. Mario does this to a slightly lesser degree, but does beat Luigi in one thing only, Air ground combat.
P.S. This is not the Luigi boards.

And again lol at people saying he was buffed. In Melee, he was the combo king in Brawl, combo's work less (multiple air dodges, slower air combat, people pop up into the air by most moves) so therefore he's nerfed at his forté .
Everyone can't combo in Brawl like they could in Melee. That's doesn't mean they've been nerfed as there are different physics now (with the exception of Capt. Falcon...). Whereas some people moved up and down on the "tier list",
Mario seems to have stayed where he was last time, and he should since he's built to be the middle guy. No better, no worse.

Upsmash was nerfed to hell, downsmash was, and his forward smash was nerfed too. It must be sweetspotted.
U-smash and D-smash are virtually the same as they were in Melee (nerfed, wha?). F-smash got a lot slower, stronger and the sweetspot isn't nearly as crucial as it was in Melee. The move doesn't need to be sweetspotted to be a killer.

You come here insulting me, but you don't know jack about Mario!
So you come into the Mario boards, say Mario sucks, and then tell a bunch of Mario mainers they don't know anything him? WTF is this ****?

I played Melee last night, and even melee Mario FEEL was better. So if you want to keep arguing, fine by me.
But that's you. You may feel better playing Melee Mario opposed to Brawl Mario where for others it would vice versa. What point are you trying to make with this?

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
My Lotion is on Boss lol
Mario is fuking awesome if you say he sucks you obviously aren't good with him point blank their is hidden potential for all character.

Wolfgang457

Smash Journeyman
Say What?

I'll admit Mario probably isn't the best character, and that Luigi does outshine him with some of his more straightforward tricks such as sweetspotting and tornado shenanigans. I'll admit I played Luigi first and definitely thought he was cool. However a bit recently I gave Mario a shot, he wasn't flashy or seemed to have any glaring strong suits, but when I did play him I saw awesome hidden potential. After some work he's definitely a blast to play with a variety of ways he can handle situations.

I can definitely say though that the cape is my favorite move in the game. Mostly because it's funny in how it can kill people's recoveries or really mess with their rhythm.

He may not be as good as in Melee but he's definitely an awesome character who most certainly doesn't suck.

Messiano

Smash Journeyman
pretty evident by the posts to your topic that your "Underpowered" Mario or "Unbalanced" theory got ripped, Luigi as was said before cannot edge guard in a game where the % to kill is so much higher stealing one away at a lower % because of good guarding can almost always decide the game. Btw mario can also use that "Weak" U-Air off a cape glide gimping all characters recovery and killing nearly all the time. ;P

Goodstyle

Smash Apprentice
Actually mario does have weaker killers in brawl but who doesn't? Please ignore this troll.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace

Everyone can't combo in Brawl like they could in Melee. That's doesn't mean they've been nerfed as there are different physics now (with the exception of Capt. Falcon...). Whereas some people moved up and down on the "tier list",
Mario seems to have stayed where he was last time, and he should since he's built to be the middle guy. No better, no worse.

U-smash and D-smash are virtually the same as they were in Melee (nerfed, wha?). F-smash got a lot slower, stronger and the sweetspot isn't nearly as crucial as it was in Melee. The move doesn't need to be sweetspotted to be a killer.

Look... I play Melee sometimes and I can assure, what you said was crap.
Mario's Upsmash killed Mario (training mode) much faster in Melee when compared to Brawl. Added with Brawl's ridiculous stale move's, it becomes hard to KO with Mario. His Downsmash is no longer a REAL kill move, and his Upsmash kills at around 140% in Brawl.
His Fsmash is really his only true killer, and it's hard to land.

Next, other smashers can still combo.
Ness, Fox, Falco, Marth, e.c.t.
Mario's really sucks at comboing in Brawl.

Don't you realise that Mario's time is up? This is the most popular thread here, as opposed to other boards, where they move on with petty arguments. :laugh:

Emperor Time

Smash Lord
On the contrary, the move is quite good for spacing. (stopping aerial and ground attacks)
Mario tornado is quite bad actually, to laggy and merited a Luigi jump fire jump punch to the face. It's only use was recovering. (barely)

No. In Brawl, Mario is bad because he's overshadowed by many characters. He's not balanced, he's underbalanced actually. He has a predictable killer (Fsmash) Upsmash is weak in Brawl, he doesn't have anything spectacular about him, and his recovery is atrocious. PK flash atrocious.

Luigi ironically overshadows Mario in the moves they have that are the same. Test it out yourselves, his Nair does more damage AND more damage (What the hell? it can also kill!)
Uair does more more damage and more knockback (this kills of the top and combo's better than Mario's) Next we have Luigi Bair, which has more range, more damage AND knockback.

On the ground, Luigi Ftilt has more range. AAA combo does more damage (1 more %) U tilt is much better, and his Fsmash while also predictable but has much more knockback, but less damage)

Look I don't hate Mario, but I can assure what I said was 100% true.
First, PK Flash is a great move.
Second, of course Luigi outclasses Mario; HE'S LUIGI

Amide

Smash Lord
First off, I am better with Luigi, but in reality, Luigi's amazing Super Jump Punch is so predictible, and his b to the side is punishible with so much lag. Luigi is slower too. Luigi is a great aerial fighter, but overall, I guess I have trouble saying one is better.

Skiba D

Smash Rookie
Man there are too many Luigi nutsucka's rackin' up in the Mario boards.....

Luigi better then Mario? Well lets break this down a bit:

Luigi does does have a lot of things going for him against Mario. Better range, damage, and combo potential. But Luigi can't gimp as well as Mario can, he can't approach as well as Mario can, nor can he control the field like Mario can. Yeah, Mario's kill moves blow pie chunks, but when you got the enemy on the ropes 24/7, they aint gonna expect that F-smash/U-smash launching them to their death. I can continue on with the comparison, but I don't think its worth the time and effort.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Look... I play Melee sometimes and I can assure, what you said was crap.
Mario's Upsmash killed Mario (training mode) much faster in Melee when compared to Brawl. Added with Brawl's ridiculous stale move's, it becomes hard to KO with Mario. His Downsmash is no longer a REAL kill move, and his Upsmash kills at around 140% in Brawl.
His Fsmash is really his only true killer, and it's hard to land.

Next, other smashers can still combo.
Ness, Fox, Falco, Marth, e.c.t.
Mario's really sucks at comboing in Brawl.

Don't you realise that Mario's time is up? This is the most popular thread here, as opposed to other boards, where they move on with petty arguments. :laugh:
There are too many holes in your argument for you to be taken seriously at this point. Anyone who has mained mario in Melee as well as Brawl will tell you that Mario has been buffed. Aside from all of the minor problems, such as recovery and range, Mario's biggest hinderence was his God-awful killing potential. Trying to KO a peach or shiek that knew how to DI in melee was what lost matches. Due to the game's new mechanics, Mario can KO MUCH better than in melee, and has a more than decent recovery. His Fsmash is much more reliable as a finisher because it does not require sweet spotting.

.....It DOES NOT require sweet spotting....

On melee, if you did not sweetspot your Fsmash, you did not take the stock. Period. I haven't a clue where you came up with "Mario's Usmash kills at about 140% in brawl". This is entirely false. Not only does this attack have much more range in brawl, but its killing potential has remained intact. The only variable that determines the percent at which the Usmash kills is your opponent's weight. Though its knockback is inferior to Luigi's, it's a very reliable finisher and punishes roll-dodgers.

I haven't the slightest clue why you brought up Dsmash as a killing move. It was not reliable finisher in melee and has remained useless as such in Brawl. Though kills can be scored with it, it's nowhere near as reliable as the Fsmash or Usmash.

Luigi is the better character, but Mario is not far behind.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
There are too many holes in your argument for you to be taken seriously at this point. Anyone who has mained mario in Melee as well as Brawl will tell you that Mario has been buffed. Aside from all of the minor problems, such as recovery and range, Mario's biggest hinderence was his God-awful killing potential. Trying to KO a peach or shiek that new how to DI in melee was what lost matches. Due to the game's new mechanics, Mario can KO MUCH better than in melee, and has a more than decent recovery. His Fsmash is much more reliable as a finisher because it does not require sweet spotting.

.....It DOES NOT require sweet spotting....

On melee, if you did not sweetspot your Fsmash, you did not take the stock. Period. I haven't a clue where you came up with "Mario's Usmash kills at about 140% in brawl". This is entirely false. Not only does this attack have much more range in brawl, but its killing potential has remained intact. The only variable that determines the percent at which the Usmash kills is your opponent's weight. Though its knockback is inferior to Luigi's, it's a very reliable finisher and punishes roll-dodgers.

I haven't the slightest clue why you brought up Dsmash as a killing move. It was not reliable finisher in melee and has remained useless as such in Brawl. Though kills can be scored with it, it's nowhere near as reliable as the Fsmash or Usmash.

Luigi is the better character, but Mario is not far behind.
quoted 4 truth

Top Bottom