• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Up-b offensively is bad.. very bad.
Even OOS it's risky. Anytime I'll fight a pro, they SDI out before the last hit, and get to hit me before I land. It's great if they aren't expecting it, but yeah...it can be bad even defensively.

In the example that ThatGuy's talking about, that's the only risk since upB will true combo at that point.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
SHDair>DJUair>Uair/Nair is usually what I do. It's been a combo of mine for so long. xD I love it.

The Utilt's into Dair into DJUair and stuff works really well on heavy characters like Snake or DDD. I usually do that combo to Snake, DDD, or ROB. It works amazingly well on Snake and ROB since they lack combo breakers.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Even in a general discussion thread, we're serious.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Much better.
Now we can be just like the Marths.

Matt07

Smash Master
Monk you forget "just sayin'"

And ya Kirin, that'd be pretty cool, but our's would be cooler then the Marth's because we're Mario mains.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
k so like, im losing hope in brawl, my luigi and mario like right now. i just got back from a tourney and did so horrid. i lost to zen's wolf (slated to be best wolf/falco in ny) and redex (some random ike whom i lost ugh -.-). i lost ALOT of cash. espically money matchs. mario mains ensure me with hope pl0x like right now D:

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
I usually only say "just sayin'" when I'm either agreeing with something/ countering an argument/ I say something that may offend someone....not after every statement...

....Just sayin'

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
k so like, im losing hope in brawl, my luigi and mario like right now. i just got back from a tourney and did so horrid. i lost to zen's wolf (slated to be best wolf/falco in ny) and redex (some random ike whom i lost ugh -.-). i lost ALOT of cash. espically money matchs. mario mains ensure me with hope pl0x like right now D:
Brawl is dumb. There is no hope.
Isn't Zen that guy that made a really bad impression upon people like Shadow and NinjaLink at one of the Polytechs?

Was the Ike doing random stupid stuff? Because you shouldn't be losing to Ike's, especially as Mario. D:

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Brawl is dumb. There is no hope.
Isn't Zen that guy that made a really bad impression upon people like Shadow and NinjaLink at one of the Polytechs?

Was the Ike doing random stupid stuff? Because you shouldn't be losing to Ike's, especially as Mario. D:
it's not even that. yes thats the zen. i dont know why, but i always have to play a known or pro player in first round of winners. i can't even make it to at least 3rd round winners >.>. I lost to his wolf on i forget what neutral, but it was a 2 stock. then i cp'd halberd. it was last stock match until i lost the momentum of the match in the end and died. i used luigi btw.

as for ike, i went mario, for some odd reason, i just went OVERLY aggressive to the fact i dont use fireball in a smart manner or dont even spam it on ike. i lost on first match and lost on my cp frigate. basically my john is = too aggressive without thinking led me to my defeat.

Famous

Smash Champion
Pros can randomly lose to scrubs or people not better than them...**** happens...

Thats why I never do MM$...My controller even dies while I'm playing at random times

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
that's the problem though. on wifi (do not insult wifi, i know it's wifi so please.) i can still lose to random scrubs and/or random people. on offline, it goes either way tbh. I can go pretty dead even with a random person or just barely 2 stocked. if it's a pro, i usually get like dead on 2 stocked and/or 2-0'd -_-.

but then again, my perspective of the word "pro" is drastically changing at this very moment. It's like i think i hit a brickwall in my tourney***ging journey too. What I hate most is me, getting nervous/choking so much, to anyone -.- I'm also starting to take back my $40 mm on boss LOL....

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Can we have fancy thread titles that relate to our board members that changes on an hourly basis?
Look at the new title!

And yes, Brawl is strange. If people play really, really crazy and not how you're supposed to play the character, you can easily get caught off guard. It was probably just a one-time thing, so don't worry about it, hippie!

ThatGuy

Smash Master
hippie, this has nothing to do with your character. You're going to have to reflect on your decisions and what you'll do differently in the future.

Unorthadox play is a completely viable strategy. What may appear as completely random can, in fact, be a very cleverly devised strategy. I cite Kage's Ganon (Melee) as the perfect example.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Skyler, let one of us have control of the thread.
I'm serious, I want us to change the title like, every 20 minutes and see if we can bug the Marths. Have a title fight.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
but then again, my perspective of the word "pro" is drastically changing at this very moment. It's like i think i hit a brickwall in my tourney***ging journey too. What I hate most is me, getting nervous/choking so much, to anyone -.- I'm also starting to take back my $40 mm on boss LOL....
I brought this same problem to Monk. He told me that the key is to just trust yourself and concentrate on the match. It's okay to be a little shaken, it's actually a good thing since it'll keep you alert and on your toes. Just don't let it rule you. That's the absolute WORST thing that can happen in a match. (Matador's advice nao) If you need to, back off and camp till you've regained your composure. If it's bad enough that you actually like...forget how to play (happened to me before), then focus on coming back to your senses.

If you're fighting with yourself and trying to fight the other dude at the same time, there's no way you can win unless they're just terrible. Win one battle at a time, starting with yourself. Take this advice with a grain of salt of course, cuz I still have these problems from time to time.

Unorthadox play is a completely viable strategy. What may appear as completely random can, in fact, be a very cleverly devised strategy. I cite Kage's Ganon (Melee) as the perfect example.
Great advice. People don't realize how important it is to be unpredictable and how easily pros take advantage of the fact that they've played SO many people like you that they know what your best action is before you do and exactly how to counter it.

Your best weapon against this is to completely avoid doing what your opponent thinks you'll do. Aggressively, this includes mixing up grabs, projectiles, airdodges, etc. Defensively, this includes landing close to OR away from the opponent when recovering according to what you think they'll expect. Land behind them, land on the ledge, DJ right before you reach the ground and counter attack; just don't let them think of it before you do.

Skyler, let one of us have control of the thread.
I'm serious, I want us to change the title like, every 20 minutes and see if we can bug the Marths. Have a title fight.
Lmao, I'm all for this.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Lol I hit those brickwalls where I think I can't get any better every other day I swear. Then I play MK for a bit and then switch to Mario and then pwn, them I'm like, "Lol, over that."

I'm reppin Mario this weekend for real!

Famous

Smash Champion
LOL i suck at mario dittos tbh. Btw, is there any good luigis up in Long Island? Me rather do Luigi dittos instead >_>.
Luigi Dittoes are the worst...No combos whatsoever. They would just Nair through everything

And in Mario dittoes my combo would be interrupted by a jab or Utilt

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
The best ditto in the world is Ice Climber dittos. I mean a ditto where the characters Meta game shuts down because they're the same character sounds pretty awesome, right?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
God, I can't even keep track of what's going on in IC dittos.... It's like a gang fight.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
His peach is like what the **** man. He played Wes's in a tourney set omfg.. Drk peach pulled out at least 5 bombs. And all of them killed. I know it killed at least 1 stock in each different match too. It killed Wes's snake on FD at first stock around 40% LOL. That's like only reason why drk peach made it that far ;3

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
So I'm wondering about Mario's approach options. I know he can be amazing with the fireball, and sometimes a hyphen smash works if you're lucky, but I don't know about how else he can approach an opponent. Can anyone fill me in?

Top Bottom