• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

Ismael

Smash Ace
7th? i dont beilive you! i will check results...what was the tourney name?
I was around top 10, and it was Top Deck. A few of the Melee pros from Vegas came. And me getting ***** by said pros. XD

I wish there was a decent sized out of state tourney that I can go to so I can play you guys.

One of the DKs here actually took a set off Dannykat's Metaknight. The entire match was lol.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I've played nearly every Mario to ever post on here. I just have to mark you, Straked, and XeroXen off the list, and I may have everyone.

Online I mean. I've only played a few offline. Bo's at the top of the list though. Next excuse I get to fly to Chicago, we're playing, and the Gods will tremble.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I live in Florida, so I can guarantee there'll be some lag. :p Nothing too bad though, but wi-fi always hinders my game to the point where I lose to people I 2-stock offline. It's ridiculous.

I also forget to Nair online, which really screws up my game.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I often lag really bad with Florida for some reason.

Online has started to really affect my Offline play. I don't know how people like ADHD and Ally do it, but my transition is always rough. I usually need alot of warm ups before I can actually do the matches that matter without spamming Dair or missing my upB sweetspot.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Same here, offline, I fight more Game and Watches than all of you put together. I feel like playing online ruins my spacing, because I lose to the same G&W's that I really shouldn't lose to, lol.

But I really do feel up for some lag-fi some time, it'll teach me plenty. My Mario's been in a bit of a slump, recently. For a tourney match, I went all Mario against Kawaii Bunny's Ice Climbers. She 2-stocked me twice and won the set. We played some friendlies after that, I switched to Ness, and 2-stocked her twice. I'm losing my touch. D:

Matt07

Smash Master
I don't know if anyone has been checking Ankoku's Tournament Ranking List, but dang Mario's 34th, kinda suprised to say the least.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
ive noticed that as well. hes like in the nevver used section now omg. and we literally have the sexiest marios here. Luigi's is growing higher on tourney results slowly now, alot of unknown players are repping him excluding boss xD

Famous

Smash Champion
Boss reps Luigi more TBH...I rep Mario the most nowadays...We do have some epic Mario and Luigi dittoes though...

Can't wait until we team in tourney and do the shoyryuken cape ****...

Matt07

Smash Master
Yeaa lol, Luigi is amazingly high on the list now, and same for Pokemon Trainer, like wow. Not saying they suck I'm just saying they're having a lot of representation in tournaments. Mario seems to have less people using him in tournaments, are there a lot of Dedede's.

Yea, I want to see Cape **** in Double Tourney's so bad :D.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
For myself, about every 2 or 3 rounds I play as Mario, I use Luigi once.. People say my Luigi is better, but I have so much more fun with Mario ><

According to some people with good credibility at the recent low tier(the first actually..) tourney in SoCal, Pokemon trainer is moving up for sure. To my surprise, there was a lack of Mario players ><

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I agree. If it wasn't for Ivysaur being so bad, PT would be a much more widely used character.

Mario is still better, though. But PT is still WAY underrated and I'm glad he's getting some rep.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Pokemon Trainer is Low Tier largely due to the 2 minute timer each Pokemon has set to them. After 2 minutes being out said Pokemon becomes tired and then begins doing less damage and his attacks also have less knock back and if that wasn't bad enough every time you perform a B move or smash attack it takes 1 second off that timer, so in reality you're really only going to have around 1:30 or less to rack up enough damage to have the next Pokemon KO or KO him yourself and if you fail to KO an opponent quickly it just becomes harder then you have to switch which is costly if you can't find a good time to. Ivysaur is a lot like Link. He's not used by many because of his horrible recovery. I play Pokemon Trainer and Ivy is one of my better Pokemon. He's got a very good Nair that combos as well as combo breaks, Bullet Seed racks up damage so fast, he as a great Bair with excellent range that spaces very well, his Razor Leaf combos into grabs or Nairs which can lead to a lot of other things but regardless of the positives I've mentioned his recovery is enough overshadow all of them.

I play Pokemon Trainer by the way. lol

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I don't know where I'd put Mario if I made a tier list. I honestly don't. He'd end up being outrageously high because I don't think characters like Pit and Fox are on par with him.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Mario in Brawl reminds me a lot of Dr. Mario in Melee; his playstyle is more like a hybrid of many characters' playstyles and although it isn't hard to get around his range issue, it still can be a pain in the a** at times.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
I don't know if anyone has been checking Ankoku's Tournament Ranking List, but dang Mario's 34th, kinda suprised to say the least.
I'm working on it. xD I recently got a Top 8 Placing with Mario at a 32 person tournament, so maybe that'll kick him up a bit. Not above Link though, since my Top 8 Placing was shared with Link. lmao.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Squirtle is scary. Honestly, he sometimes gives me more trouble than MK.

If he didn't have fatigue and the other 2 pokemon, I'd seriously be afraid to fight him.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Some TO's are allowing single Pokemon/No Fatigue hacks here. Which... sucks for me. Squirtle's a nightmare alone.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I hate fighting Squirtle. To be honest, I want to see the SBR recommend no fatigue/forced change hacks on their next ruleset. Sakurai pretty much screwed us over with those silly rules. I attempted maining PT at the beginning of Brawl, and probably still would be, if it wasn't for that.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I think wanting to play just one of the three Pokemon is extremely stupid. It completely defeats the purpose of the character 'Pokemon Trainer'.
Actually, no. The idea behind a Pokemon team is that you have a diverse team so that you can use the best Pokemon for any specific situation. Just as there are type-disadvantages in Pokemon, there are bad match-ups in Smash. Certain Pokemon will do better against certain Pokemon, just like one of PT's Pokemon may do better in a match-up than the others.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Except that they're forced to switch and they get tired.

But really, who thinks they shoulda put Hover FLUDD in Brawl? *raises hand*

They buff Luigi's recovery but not ours, plus hover fludd would pwn at gimping.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'm just fine with FLUDD as it is. Having horizontal recovery as opposed to an excellent spacing AND gimping tool? notanks. Let his dair have a hover effect.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Except that they're forced to switch and they get tired.
If you play smart, a proper counter will either 2/OHKO the Pokemon it's countering.

@Hover FLUDD: I think there should've been SOME way to include Hover FLUDD. Preferably a new recovery method, because the SJP is weaksauce. Hover/Rocket nozzle? Yes please!

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I was talking about the Pokemon in Brawl, lol. I know how countering in the actual game pokemon works.

And yeah, Hover Fludd could totally gimp people in a spike kinda way, totally destroying vertical recoveries without giving them back. :D

EDIT: I keep having this vision of MK pointing to me and using his down taunt, and Mario is behind me saying "Let'sa go!" and I haven't moved yet, I DON'T WANNA GO TO MK! (Meaning, I'm tempted to just use MK from now on, but this vision is actually happening and is messing with my MIIIND)

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Actually, no. The idea behind a Pokemon team is that you have a diverse team so that you can use the best Pokemon for any specific situation. Just as there are type-disadvantages in Pokemon, there are bad match-ups in Smash. Certain Pokemon will do better against certain Pokemon, just like one of PT's Pokemon may do better in a match-up than the others.
Um..that's what I was basically trying to say. I run into a lot of people who wish they could play ONLY Squirtle or Ivy or Charizard. To me, it's very stupid because Pokemon Trainer is suppoused to be used in the way you explained.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Apparently you didn't understand what I was saying. Did you miss the analogy at the end?

Squirtle has a type advantage over Charmander. Use Squirtle against Charmander.

Squirtle has the best match-up against Toon Link. Use Squirtle against Toon Link.

That's what I was trying to say. You don't want to be FORCED to use a Pokemon with a type disadvantage, just like we shouldn't be being forced to use the Pokemon with bad match-ups.

Matt07

Smash Master
Bleh, double post, but it needed to be bumped.

Looking at Mario mains pools for Apex looks...pretty interesting to say the least.

Top Bottom