• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario 3.0 Matchup thread

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I see talk on the snake MU.
Oh and here is a game after the MM with that snake
Take whatever you can from this. This was some time ago, and it has no sound, so meh. Whatever helps, I guess.

Last edited:

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Take whatever you can from this. This was some time ago, and it has no sound, so meh. Whatever helps, I guess.
No worries. I watched the match listening to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PEGDGxZdzA&hd=1

I didn't know that Mario could duck underneath the tranquilizer. Definitely going to incorporate that into my game. I also learned that caping his grenades is still a bad idea. Got to set up that firewall to force my opponents to make a mistake and then go in and stay in like GeZ said before. Just have to make sure your neutral game is solid enough.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I think choosing a smaller stage would be good to. Stages like FD, DL etc make it pretty ez for him to just, not die.
I think anything with a highish ceiling and decent walls and small drop zone would be a good place to take him.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
No worries. I watched the match listening to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PEGDGxZdzA&hd=1

I didn't know that Mario could duck underneath the tranquilizer. Definitely going to incorporate that into my game. I also learned that caping his grenades is still a bad idea. Got to set up that firewall to force my opponents to make a mistake and then go in and stay in like GeZ said before. Just have to make sure your neutral game is solid enough.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
The Snake matchup doesn't seem too hard to me tbh. The only thing you have to worry about is his grab, which is easily avoidable with fireballs/crossups.

Key point in this is to never let him back on. Our bair is devastating to him, as it avoids the electricity on his up-b (as long as you aren't caught by the invincibility at the start) and sends him at a lowish angle. If he comes beside the ledge, trade d-smash with him, its always good for Mario. Small stages with platforms are amazing as it lets us catch him even is he tries to up-b high.

As well, get used to kicking his head/feet with bair, so he cant trade grenades. Fair you dont have to worry, it almost always hits his head and misses the grenade due to how Mario swings.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Do people think Green Hill Zone is a good stage for Mario? He doesn't really kill vertically, edgeguards well between cape and bair, and enjoys the large blast zone and walls for his own recovery. Plus his Fireballs seem more suited to choking out a smaller space, which also prevents Mario from being out-camped in some match-ups. Link comes to mind. Thoughts?

Also, SB has a Snake?

GeZ

Smash Lord
Do people think Green Hill Zone is a good stage for Mario? He doesn't really kill vertically, edgeguards well between cape and bair, and enjoys the large blast zone and walls for his own recovery. Plus his Fireballs seem more suited to choking out a smaller space, which also prevents Mario from being out-camped in some match-ups. Link comes to mind. Thoughts?

Also, SB has a Snake?
I'd say Mario likes Green Hill Zone. It's small enough to he can spend the whole match leaning on the opponent while it's got enough easy space to let him flow in and out as you are comfortable or uncomfortable with your opponents actions and reactions. Along with the design being good for his longevity and better for his gimping and killing game, I'd place it as a stage Mario mains should really like.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
They only I wouldn't go there, is if I'm playing a marth.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Well, the stage is kinda small, so you don't get a lot of breathing room in the MU, and it's rather easy for ether character to feel cornered, which is good and bad. You really have no where to go when Marth starts throwing you around so if you mess up the fthrow/fsmash Di trap ER w/e you wanna call it, you can die before 50 or something gay like that. The boundaries are sorta small but the stage itself isn't to small, so a raw tipper from Marth or a spaced fsmash from Mario won't spell certain doom from any random place on the stage. Usually you can get a fat edge guard or at least stage control from a solid hit though. The moving platform doesn't seem to be that great for ether character and IMO it isn't that useful. The walls are a plus, but I feel like this stage is better for Marth than it is Mario in this MU.

Idk if there is a stage that could off set the MU some. Maybe if there was a medium sized stage, with a wall to wall jump and platforms that were out of Marth's tipper range. Like maybe, castlesky, but with walls! Except, make the boundaries smaller
^

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I think we brought up the M2 MU once before, let us do this again. Personally, I feel like the only reason I get as far as I do in the MU is because my punish/spacing allows it. Regardless, I still lose, even if I am out playing said M2. I know a good bit about M2 and this MU, but I can't seem to put this on lock. I could prob throw down some knowledge if need be. Anyways though, Discus, Discus, Discus!

Last edited:

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I've tried to Mewtwo MU as Mario, on paper it seems like Mario should win, but in practice I can't figure out wtf I'm supposed to do, I just get shield grabbed and walled out by the tail, plus the Mewtwo player in my area has a ridiculous reaction time and either power-shields or reflects all my fireballs. I've beat him with Diddy and Ike before, but I just can't seem to with Mario.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
So I talked to @ GMaster171 GMaster171 and he mentioned, it's a bit like the Marth MU, with the exception that, M2, or rather, this form of M2 is rather new so we might be able to pull some stuff off on him now, but I wouldn't count on those tricks to always work. I feel this MU isn't quit as bad as the one against Marth(35-65) but, it can't be that much better. Fireballs don't work, dthrow>fair isn't free and wont kill on a lot of stages, tailOP, super good recovery, unlike marth, he has guaranteed kills at 130%, he has better gimps to, near if not, ungimpable, its hard to punish unless they try to hit you and blah bleh. If you want to win as Mario, work on having solid spacing, good baits, and a good punish game.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I find the hardest thing to deal with is his teleport. I like pretending I'm Link and tossing out a couple fireballs to catch it should he try to approach with it, but that has its own drawbacks.
Speaking of Link, imma learn him so I can woop Marth. Hopefully both MU handle about the same way for Link.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I don't think Link beats Marth, he probably does better than Mario, but I'd recommend Sheik if you want a character that straight up wins the MU.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Marth can't take the items. So far, links and marths of the like all say its in Link's fav.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Bombs seem like the only projectile that would give Marth trouble, can't he just fair through arrows and boomerang?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
rang is positive on shield among other things
its redic

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
Hello Mario thread:

Please help me fill this out all, trying to complete it as moderately accurate as possible.

I know some MUs won't be agreed on, if there is enough disagreement they can be left blank and we will ask the character on the other side.

I filled it in based on my moderate knowledge of some characters, but I don't get to face every char a lot, or use every character at the optimal level.

green: advantageous
light green: slightly advantageous
grey: Even or tbd
yellow: slightly disadvantageous
Orange: disadvantageous

Attachments

Top Bottom