• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario 1.11 Patch Notes

NeoRed

Smash Cadet
Has anything changed? Please Sakurai I'm begging you... Buff this character.

NeoRed

Smash Cadet
Correct me if I'm wrong but Mario's upsmash does 14% now instead of 15% :(

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Nothing on Mario, but Doc has a few.
http://smashboards.com/threads/magical-engimatic-land-1-1-1-patch-notes.419067/page-3#post-20218338

---

As for U-Smash, Kurogane's data contradicts with the data dump found here. I'm not sure where that number came from because U-Smash never did 15% unless it had a partial charge. IIRC, base damage isn't the same as the actual damage you deal, but I haven't invested time in decipering this game's data for a few months now.

NeoRed

Smash Cadet
Yeah I doubt very much Mario was changed. Dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Mario is fine, he doesn't need changes.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Seems that there was an overall change in shield stun. Will this affect Mario's playstyle in any way?
Also Luigi got nerfed, so the MU is slightly better for Mario. Still in Luigi's favor though.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Seems that there was an overall change in shield stun. Will this affect Mario's playstyle in any way?
Also Luigi got nerfed, so the MU is slightly better for Mario. Still in Luigi's favor though.
Wait, what? What nerfs?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Down throw has more base and knockback growth, meaning at kill % it can no longer true combo into cyclone.
Luigi's D-throw doesn't true combo into anything at kill percent anymore, from what I've been told.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
So guys, its seeming like shield stun has been universally buffed. This is a buff for aggression. I dunno about you guys, but me being a super rushdown guy this sounds amazing.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
So guys, its seeming like shield stun has been universally buffed. This is a buff for aggression. I dunno about you guys, but me being a super rushdown guy this sounds amazing.
ayy lmao

Guimartgon

Smash Apprentice
Oh wow, up to what point is that true?
Edit: lol nevermind april 2015
Also, do you guys think the extra shieldstun will allow nair to be safer on shield? So we could Nair grab/Nair jab?

Last edited:

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Oh wow, up to what point is that true?
Edit: lol nevermind april 2015
Also, do you guys think the extra shieldstun will allow nair to be safer on shield? So we could Nair grab/Nair jab?
Dair could be interesting on shield now. Maybe for pressuring an opponent on a platform or something?

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
dair was already amazing at pressure. it will just be that much more amazing now. If you check my vids in the vid page you'll see me using dair like, ALL the time prior to this lol.

NeoRed

Smash Cadet
Wow this is big for the plumber's up-smash. And I can't think of anything that could badly affect mario's moveset due to the new shield stun thingy. Up-smash will be way safer now to use.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I think FLUDD is going to be even more important now for spacing purposes, since you can't safely shield all incoming attacks.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
I think FLUDD is going to be even more important now for spacing purposes, since you can't safely shield all incoming attacks.
I already use it whenever my shield is low to force shield repair time. but yeah, its a great spacing tool!

Guimartgon

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully people will start using Perfect Pivots more. I feel like Mario gets a lot from them( you can foxtrot towards your opponent, perfect pivot towards him again and since you're not facing him you are in the perfect position to hit with the first part of Usmash, it's an amazing approach against empty hoppers and what not, and if it's now a little safer on shield it's an even better tool.)

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Hopefully people will start using Perfect Pivots more. I feel like Mario gets a lot from them( you can foxtrot towards your opponent, perfect pivot towards him again and since you're not facing him you are in the perfect position to hit with the first part of Usmash, it's an amazing approach against empty hoppers and what not, and if it's now a little safer on shield it's an even better tool.)
For up smash you don't need to perfect pivot, since you can already do a pivot jump cancelled up smash. Perfect pivot tilts on the other hand...

Guimartgon

Smash Apprentice
For up smash you don't need to perfect pivot, since you can already do a pivot jump cancelled up smash. Perfect pivot tilts on the other hand...
Fair enough. I can see PP Utilts being very nice though, specially backwards to punish risky aerial approaches and although not quite the spectacular move, PP backwards Dtilt could serve to space against people with good footsies.

RespectingOpinions

Smash Cadet
How could anyone think of this as a nerf lol. They actually buffed Mario, hes even more safe on shield now lmao.

BSP

Smash Legend
dair was already amazing at pressure. it will just be that much more amazing now. If you check my vids in the vid page you'll see me using dair like, ALL the time prior to this lol.
I'd look into Nair more. I'm no expert on frame advantage analysis, but I believe that these new changes will put Mario's Nair done properly at -3 or so on block. So he should be able to jab before he gets grabbed.

Mario v Luigi was luigi favor pre patch IMO.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I beg to differ. Mario always won against. He was one of the few top tiers Mario didn't struggle against.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
I beg to differ. Mario always won against. He was one of the few top tiers Mario didn't struggle against.
Iunno, me and ally both talked about mario v luigi before and felt like mario had to be super on point vs luigi, and most I've spoken to aside think it was in luigis favor before too. With the new patch, we shall see. Definitely helps even it up though.

Actraiser

Smash Cadet
How could anyone think of this as a nerf lol. They actually buffed Mario, hes even more safe on shield now lmao.
Approaching with dash to shield is nerfed now, right? Also, could it be argued that since shields are less effective it will be harder to get grabs?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Mario's margin of error was extremely low vs Luigi to justify calling it his advantage. On paper it was an even match-up but in practice unless you were doing top level play (also called hardcore camping) the MU was in Luigi's advantage.

Do you guys think the patch buffed Mario or nerfed him?
Extremely hard to tell considering the meta just got turned upside down. Theorycraft, but:

-Mobility became much more important because shielding is now a detriment.
-Aggression is much stronger.
--On the other hand, running away is now the most effective defense option.

Mario's aggression is strong, one of the best in the game, but his camping was nothing to write home about. Characters that had potent shield stun pre-patch (Ryu, DK, Palutena) are now massively buffed because they don't have to tolerate being camped anymore, and characters that have long range but good mobility (Villager, Marcina) are now allowed to be much more aggressive as well. Mario overall benefited from the changes but a lot of characters may have benefited much more.

NeoRed

Smash Cadet
Mario's margin of error was extremely low vs Luigi to justify calling it his advantage. On paper it was an even match-up but in practice unless you were doing top level play (also called hardcore camping) the MU was in Luigi's advantage.

Extremely hard to tell considering the meta just got turned upside down. Theorycraft, but:

-Mobility became much more important because shielding is now a detriment.
-Aggression is much stronger.
--On the other hand, running away is now the most effective defense option.

Mario's aggression is strong, one of the best in the game, but his camping was nothing to write home about. Characters that had potent shield stun pre-patch (Ryu, DK, Palutena) are now massively buffed because they don't have to tolerate being camped anymore, and characters that have long range but good mobility (Villager, Marcina) are now allowed to be much more aggressive as well. Mario overall benefited from the changes but a lot of characters may have benefited much more.
Hmm I just went and tried practicing in anther's ladder and the game feels a lot different. I feel like out of my comfort zone with the shield nerf.

Macedonian

Smash Apprentice
hey so since a large amount of multi hit moves got buffed is mario's dair still escapable/breakout-able with a frame three move?

also im sorry but i have not been home to test. is all the talk of shielding have any effect on perfect shields?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Perfect Shield is still the same as it was before.

Mario's d-air is still escapable with 3-frame moves.

Top Bottom