• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario 1.11 Patch Notes

NeoRed

Smash Cadet
Perfect Shield is still the same as it was before.

Mario's d-air is still escapable with 3-frame moves.
Yeah. I think I'm liking this patch because shield pressuring is a lot easier with Mario

d-air is a great shield pressuring tool because you can land on the opposite side of the opponent

CleanOgre

Smash Cadet
NNID
CleanOgre
So, with the universal increase of shield stun. Do you guys think Mario benefits more from it than most other characters?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I really, really doubt it.

The ones who actually benefit from this the most is actually tether grabbers, because the Rock-Paper-Scissors formula is no longer a dominant mechanic.

Edit: And Pikachu apparently.

Last edited:

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
User was warned for this post
STUPID F#####G PATCH. WHEN EVERY THERE IS A PATCH CHARECTERS GET CHANGED. WHICH MEANS MARIOS MUS HAVE PROBABLY CHANGED . THIS COULD AFFECT MARIO DID ANY MUS GET ALTERD LET ME KNOW PLEASE. I'M SORRY FOR ALL CAPITALS I'M JUST MAD.

NeoRed

Smash Cadet
Mario can benefit from this patch, yes. Bair, nair, dair are safer options due to the changes. Dair becomes a pressuring tool and bair a spacing tool. You guys should try approaching with dair into a grab. But on the other hand, long ranged fighters can safely use their attacks without being punished.

xDizxy

Smash Journeyman
You should be on your knees, kissing Sakurai's shoes for not touching mario. He could be the next greninja. Pray to God he doesn't touch mario. Mario is fine the way he is. It's like saying ness back throw needs a buff.

NeoRed

Smash Cadet
You should be on your knees, kissing Sakurai's shoes for not touching mario. He could be the next greninja. Pray to God he doesn't touch mario. Mario is fine the way he is. It's like saying ness back throw needs a buff.
why would he be the next greninja loll? He's only had like 2 changes in the entire history of the game

xDizxy

Smash Journeyman
Luigi is not a random character lol. He was actually quite good
I might be the only ness player in the world to tell you that his back throw needs a small nerf lol. I didn't check all the characters, only my mains. Hopefully luma got greninja nerfs. Also look at sonic, captain falcon and you know who. They got some nerfs one patch the next Sakurai is going crazy with these nerfs. Luigi could be a potential victim of nerfs in the future.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Luigi was nerfed because he had a polarizing playstyle. He is still good but now you don't get free kills like you used too.
Mario always needs to work for his kills. I doubt he'll be nerfed or buffed anytime soon.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Yo, been awhile. Would just like to mention that, if I tested this correctly, a shielding opponent can no longer roll/jump out of Scalding FLUDD as of this patch. You used to be able to previously. Shocking Cape is also better due to its electrical properties, though Mario's Fireballs took a hit on shields now.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Mario is like the last character in this game that needs a buff right now. He's already amazing and buffing him could make him overpowered.
Not really. Giving him a better recovery or increasing his damage output slightly wouldn't make him overpowered. Even if it would, great. We need someone to combat that cross dressing menace.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
If you gave Mario a guaranteed kill setup he'd easily be Top 5 undisputed.

Realistically, the only buff I could see Mario getting is D-air linking to the final hit properly.

CleanOgre

Smash Cadet
NNID
CleanOgre
Most hilarious joke anyone's ever told me. It is SO much more accurate to have a tier list be developed through a community effort than one "pro" deciding everything on their own.
Keep in mind that anyone can vote in a community tier list. Someone who plays For Glory or someone who thinks Zelda is secretly top tier can vote.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Most hilarious joke anyone's ever told me. It is SO much more accurate to have a tier list be developed through a community effort than one "pro" deciding everything on their own.
A community tier list is good for gauging how a group of people perceives the metagame. However, it's not good to use as a basis of an argument, especially when considering it's not really the "community" that votes but rather the people that go to the general discussion forum and chooses to vote.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
He's top 6 in the community voted tier list for a good reason...
Not official, and like Mystic said, not trustworthy. Mario is most definitely one of the best characters in the game, but he could still be improved, everyone could, even Sheik. I'm not saying he will get buffed because, you know, Sakurai, but he definitely wouldn't be overpowered if he did.

Luig

Confused
I have a question. Since Mario is supposed to be the epitome of average, and the base for most characters, do you think he'll get changed that much through patches?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I have a question. Since Mario is supposed to be the epitome of average, and the base for most characters, do you think he'll get changed that much through patches?
This is probably Mario's least "average" appearance. If he really was average, it would be Brawl all over again with more than half the cast outclassing him. If he does or doesn't get buffed, it definitely won't be because he's average.

Last edited:

Luig

Confused
I meant attribute wise.

Either way, I worded that wrong.

Do you think Mario will be changed that much in future patches?

Last edited:

CleanOgre

Smash Cadet
NNID
CleanOgre
Mario hasn't received a change since 1.06. He will most likely will not receive buffs or nerfs in the future.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
If 1.0.6 to 1.1.0 is any indication, no. Is it me or does Sakurai like balancing on even numbers?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Apart from a D-air buff I would say Mario doesn't need any changes at all unless there's a drastic metagame shift.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Doubtful. Not with the Ballot over and the DLC probably coming in a few months. They would want time to refine it, look it over, make sure they didn't overlook something or accidentally unbalance something. In other words, they don't want to shoehorn in a balance patch with what's supposed to be a normal update and **** something up, like they did with 1.11.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
The only buff I'd give Mario is to make the hits of D-air properly link together, so it is not possible to airdodge before the last hit.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I'm glad I'm not the only one who agrees dair could use a big fix. Me and A2ZOMG A2ZOMG have been saying that for ages. Lol

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario imo needs a bunch of changes designwise, but D-air properly connecting will complete his biggest design issue (lack of aerial KO options and comboing inconsistency).

In a perfect world Doc D-throw would both make Mario probably slightly less polarizing in specific matchups but at the same time a stronger character overall by making his combo game less matchup specific and more synergistic with his vertical U-air juggles. But that probably wouldn't ever happen. (speaking of which, Doc would get really insane if he was given Mario D-throw given how much better his U-tilt is and how much he actually prefers the more horizontal setup for stage carry strings.)

On the subject of slightly more realistic but still nitpicky changes I'd hope for:

small bkb increase on U-tilt, D-throw, and final hit of Up-B (angle lowered slightly on Up-B final hit as well)
2 frames earlier IASA on Jab cancel (applies to Doc too)
less landing lag on F-air (both Mario and Doc)
1% damage reduction on U-smash and very small bkb increase (applies to Doc and Luigi too)
1% damage increase on front hit of D-smash (applies to Doc too)
FLUDD startup decrease by about 5 frames.

RespectingOpinions

Smash Cadet
Everyone on here is picky as ****. You should be praying for Mario to stay the same. He's so good and he's starting to get more tournament representation, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the balance team decided to tone him down a bit.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Everyone on here is picky as ****. You should be praying for Mario to stay the same. He's so good and he's starting to get more tournament representation, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the balance team decided to tone him down a bit.
We wouldn't mind him getting toned down a bit either, actually (dat grab reward), we're just thinking of things to change so that he becomes a more honest character to fight, but with the trade-off of ATs that'd help him more in this game than Brawl, like jab cancels.

Creativity > Simplicity

Welcome to why I like Doc more as a character. :3

Last edited:
Top Bottom