• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marching Band IS NOT LAME!

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think he means Marching Band can be just as difficult as any sport. It can be time consuming, sometimes it can be physically straining, yeah... it was made an official "sport" with P.E. credit at my high school. :)

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Choir and orchestra. They don't have to come out hours before school starts and rehearse, some of which requires running on the track with your insturment. Choir and orchestra also don't have to make up schoolwork when they're called away on competitions.
Physically more difficult than choir and orchestra, yes. Musically, no.

Physically, it's pretty simple compared to other events the school does.

And I'd bet musical theater/cheerleading/dance are all harder.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I play guitar so I'm not a band-type guy, my school band is lame, they sound awful no matter how long they practice and no matter how good some of the individuals are in the band some of the others just bring the whole level of quality down.

I'm kind of biased against bands so my opinion doesn't count as much. Although I must say, I admire a good marching band and America Pie: Band cape was pretty funny because of the band-based jokes.

Mrs. Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
Marching band is pretty hard. Ha, I remember back when band was my life....now I don't even touch my instruments. I never thought I'd end up not playing. Guess life is too busy for it unless you major in music. Bahamut is still in band, but I kind of grew out of it I guess. I was more of a band nerd than him at one point. College band is a joke compared to the crazy high school competitive atmosphere. BOA Nationals were pretty freaking cool back in the day. I'll never forget it. Ha, Bahamut and I met through marching band, so you kids keep your eyes peeled. You never know when you might meet your future spouse.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Marching band is pretty difficult, and is pretty much a sport (maybe not as strenuous as compared to others) no matter how you look at it. I love it and I'm sad that the season's over. :( I think field marching is more fun than parade marching, but I've never done that, so I really can't say. I would've known if only I had joined last year...but noooo, I decided not to join, and I really regret it. *Stupid=me. Loser=me. Dumb***=me...* :urg: I'm a flutist. I'm the only guy-flute marcher. There was another one last year, but he graduated. No, I'm not gay. People always seem to link the two, even though they're two completely different things. :(

Some of you guys think it's lame. Others say it's fun, but still lame. By lame, what do you mean?

College band is a joke compared to the crazy high school competitive atmosphere.
How so? I've always wondered that, and was wanting some input from someone who knows or has experience. :confused:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Speaking of BOA Grand Nationals... it's this weekend! OMG! I'm hoping I'll be able to go. It's the last year they'll have the current dome up. :( I heard they're doing something special for alumni, and I'd love to go do that.

Yup, this is my first year being an alumni and I'm already really sad and obsessed like everybody else. :laugh: My sadness has kind of worn off now, though.

On the topic, marching band is awesome. I miss it so much. My college that I'm in right now doesn't really have a marching band so I'm only doing concert band. Talking to my friends from last year they all are pretty much saying college marching band is a joke.. That's kind of a shame. My marching career is really over and I don't want it to be.:(

Eisenherz

Smash Journeyman
Everyone thinks that marching band is lame and easy but its really not. Anybody who is or has been in the marching band can probobly vouch for me. it is not as easy as it looks...:ohwell: Any marchers here?

I was in marching band for a year, and it was tough. I played the largest bass drum. I had to quit though, so I could take my AP classes.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Timber Creek represent. BOA Atlanta was awesome. We made it to finals this time, so that was cool.

Yeah, Marching band is actually much harder than most people think. Some of those shows look pretty freakin' demanding. Playing loud, while playing in tune, while playing in tone, while moving 180 beats per minute, takes it's toll on the body.

Band has always been cool because of how easily you make friends and how much time you get to spend with them.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Does JROTC Armed Exhibition Drill Count? I did that in high school all four years, that was fun **** ^_^
Erm, JROTC is not a Marching Band. I thought it would be obvious by the lack of instruments being used by the members.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Marching Band is lame because it wasn't accepted as PE credit at my school >_>

And band drama sucks.

And being 1 of 2 baritone players in a 120+ band and expected to be heard sucks too.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
^Shame on you...... but its true. Some people don't care for it. Even on our campus.

I think for me as an educator, the best thing I'm looking forward to is teaching marching band. ^_^

X-threilyss

Smash Apprentice
Whoever says that marching band is lame, is lame himself..

Now, I'm not in marching band myself, but I am in orchestra, and at my school all of our music programs (except for choir b/c there's a different teacher for that) are brothers and sisters. I see the stuff they are required to do, and it's pretty instense. They do just as much physical training as would a traditional sport.

IDK where we rank nationally.. I think i heard someone once say that we are ranked #2 High school in the Nation... but IDK the validity of that statement... Trabuco Hills High School? anyone heard of it?

Speaking of BOA.. YAY for OOA (Orchestras of America) ^.^ my school's orchestra was one of the first OOA orchestras and also one of the top.. OOA is a branch off of BOA that started last year, and my orchestra was lucky enough to be one of the inaugural groups to compete.

RoyalRook

Smash Journeyman
Dude marching band is totally lame, remember high school? The better the band, the worse the team. No joke, it's all science. I played Alto-Sax back the day, and the only reason I was in the band was b/c
1) I was a freshman
2) Spent a whole summer with girls that I am going to date before any other freshman, awesome!!!
3) So I can play in the symphonic, a pretty big deal for my ego back then, silly now....LOL, oh the memories.

But dude, trust me, high school summers after your freshman year should NOT have spent for the marching band, LEARN FROM ME!!!!!!!!!!! Just let your ego go, and your will be fine.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Marching Band is lame, period. I marched in high school for 4 years and was drum major my senior year, still lame. Not to say it wasn't fun though, there were definitely good times. As for physically strenuous, you've gotta be kidding. Marching and playing an instrument may require skill and a marginal amount of physical ability, but it's far from being physically taxing.

ScaryMunky

Smash Journeyman
I played the Alto Sax for 8 years; from 4th grade to 12th. We started marching band in high school. It's not easy, we played football pre-games and halftimes in the rain 80% of the time, there were after school practices for choreography, and there were only a handful of serious, actually good musicians in the band. When my class (class of '05) was in 9th-10th grade, our band was one of the best in the region. Higher classmen graduated, new freshmen came, and the band got crappier and crappier.

In summation; yes it's hard, it takes practice and skill... and yes, it's lame. I haven't played my sax in three years.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
^Shame on you...... but its true. Some people don't care for it. Even on our campus.

I think for me as an educator, the best thing I'm looking forward to is teaching marching band. ^_^
Agreed.

It was the first football game this season where I decided that I couldn't do anything other teach a marching band when I graduate (from college, of course.) Nothing else appeals to me. After my amazing season last year and my love for band in general there's nothing else I can do.

That being said I LOVE marching band. It is so far from being lame it's not even funny. I just really wish I were in one right now.

Jammer

Smash Lord
So did anyone march Drum Corps?
No, but I have a friend who did.

We were talking about music, and she mentioned that she was in the drumline in some drum corps. She said she was like the only girl in it. I'm sorry that I can't remember which corps she was in. I think it was possibly 'Blue'-something?

Wow, I guess my post is kinda not at all exciting. But I was definitely blown away when she was talking about how much she loved it. I never would have guessed.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
No, but I have a friend who did.

We were talking about music, and she mentioned that she was in the drumline in some drum corps. She said she was like the only girl in it. I'm sorry that I can't remember which corps she was in. I think it was possibly 'Blue'-something?

Wow, I guess my post is kinda not at all exciting. But I was definitely blown away when she was talking about how much she loved it. I never would have guessed.
Was it Bluecoats, or the Blue Devils?

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Yeah, I marched Trombone in high school. I've been slightly tempted to pick it up again (college), but I don't think I have enough time for it anymore... And it takes a lot of time and hard work to make a band not suck (not good, mind you, not suck).

falcofang236

Smash Cadet
Whoever says that marching band is lame, is lame himself..

Now, I'm not in marching band myself, but I am in orchestra, and at my school all of our music programs (except for choir b/c there's a different teacher for that) are brothers and sisters. I see the stuff they are required to do, and it's pretty instense. They do just as much physical training as would a traditional sport.

IDK where we rank nationally.. I think i heard someone once say that we are ranked #2 High school in the Nation... but IDK the validity of that statement... Trabuco Hills High School? anyone heard of it?

Speaking of BOA.. YAY for OOA (Orchestras of America) ^.^ my school's orchestra was one of the first OOA orchestras and also one of the top.. OOA is a branch off of BOA that started last year, and my orchestra was lucky enough to be one of the inaugural groups to compete.

w00 go orch! \m/

Jammer

Smash Lord
Buzz, that is totally awesome.

I couldn't figure out what video game was after Tetris. It sounded familiar for a bit, but then it got crazy and I was totally confused until the Pokemon boss battle music came on.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Buzz, that is totally awesome.

I couldn't figure out what video game was after Tetris. It sounded familiar for a bit, but then it got crazy and I was totally confused until the Pokemon boss battle music came on.
It was a crappy rendition of Mortal Kombat.

Top Bottom