• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

March 27-28 UM-Flint VGC Brawl Tourney

Flint VGC

Smash Cadet
*SBR Certified Ruleset v2.0*

The University of Michigan-Flint Video Gamers' Club is hosting its second annual Super Smash Bros. Brawl tournament on the weekend of March 27-28. There will be singles and doubles competitions. Online pre-registration is now open, so secure your spot now! At-the-door entries may be subject to a $5 late registration fee.

Event website: http://tourneys.flintvgc.org

University of Michigan - Flint
303 E. Kearsley St.
Flint, MI 48502
click here for directions

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE
Day 1, March 27: Singles
  • 10:00 am: Welcome, Sign-in, Warm-up
  • 12:00 pm: 1v1 Tourney Begins
  • 4:00 pm: Intermission/food break
  • 7:00 pm: Winners announced/Prizes awarded
Day 2, March 28: Doubles
  • 10:00 am: Welcome, Sign-in, Warm-up
  • 12:00 pm: 2v2 Tourney Begins
  • 4:00 pm: Intermission/food break
  • 7:00 pm: Winners announced/Prizes awarded
*NOTE* - This is a TENTATIVE schedule;
actual times may vary.

REGISTRATION
Pre-registration and payment is available on our website at tourneys.flintvgc.org and will be open until Thursday, March 25. Registrations at the door may be subject to an additional $5 late entry fee.

ENTRY FEES
Players can enter 1v1 event, 2v2 event, or both.
There is a $5 venue fee* PLUS
  • $10 per 1v1 entry
  • $20 per 2v2 team ($10/player)
  • Registrations made after March 25 may be subject to a $5 late entry fee
*Venue fee will be refunded for anyone who brings a TV and/or Wii with Brawl and all characters/stages unlocked

Free food and parking will be provided.

TOURNAMENT FORMAT
  • Round Robin or Pool Play, depending on turnout
  • Players randomly seeded
  • Each match will be best of 3 rounds, finals best of 5

Settings
  • Stock: 3
  • Time limit: 8 minutes
  • All items off
  • Team attack (in 2v2) is ON
  • If time runs out, winner is determined by
    remaining stock, then percent damage

Set Format (In Order)
  1. Players pick characters*
  2. First stage selected through elimination by taking turns striking stages from starter list
  3. Each player may ban one counter stage from future games
  4. The first game is played on the stage selected from step 2
  5. The loser of the previous match announces next match's stage from Starter Stages list or Counter Stages list
  6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
  7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
  8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for first match

STAGES
*Stages are categorized as "starter," "counter," or "banned." The first round uses starter stages only, while stages for successive rounds can be selected from starter or counter-pick.

STARTER STAGES
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Pokemon Stadium 1

COUNTER STAGES
Castle Siege
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Brinstar
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Pictochat
Rainbow Cruise

All stages not mentioned above are banned

CHEATING
  • Meta Knight's Inf. Dimens. Cape glitch is banned
  • Stalling is banned
    *Stalling is defined as any action that
    deliberately avoids conflict and makes the
    game unplayable
  • Cheating or performing any action that
    prevents the game from continuing results
    in the offender's forfeiture of the match

ADDITIONAL RULES
  • In case of dispute, controller ports can
    be determined by rock-paper-scissors
  • All players are required to bring their own
    controllers to the tournament
  • All players are responsible for their
    own control scheme and must make sure
    it is properly set prior to match start
  • If a game ends with Bowser's Flying Slam
    and game enters Sudden Death, Bowser
    is declared winner (SD is ignored)

PAYOUT/PRIZES
ALL money collected from entries will go to into the prize pot.

1V1 TOURNAMENT
1st Place: 60% of pot
2nd Place: 30% of pot
3rd Place: 10% of pot

2V2 TOURNAMENT
1st Place: 75% of pot
2nd Place: 25% of pot

For more details or to pre-register, visit our site at http://tourneys.flintvgc.org

D

Deleted member

Interesting.

Quite interesting.

Two days is kinda

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Flint VGC

Smash Cadet
Last year we tried to do it all in one day, and it ended up going from noon to midnight, which was kinda ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. We thought that breaking it up into two days (singles on one day, doubles the next) would be less exhausting.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I agree with this guy

edit: couldnt come anyway, but you should sitlll do it

Flint VGC

Smash Cadet
We were just planning on doing Brawl, but if we can get enough interest (say, 50+ people) for it and enough equipment to run it simultaneously we might try to cram Melee in as well.. I'll talk to the other tournament coordinators.

How many people want to see us add Melee?

Flint VGC

Smash Cadet
With our Brawl tournament last year we had almost 80 people for just Brawl. If we can't get at least close to half that for Melee then I'm just hesitant to make it another focus of this tournament; perhaps we'll run a little of it on the side for fun or small stakes.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
ill really have to check but definite possibility

just checked site if i do come i will bring a setup all is unlocked

but i have character and stage texture hacks available if people wanna play on them

and ur website is very well made btw

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Who would wanna team for this?

Goddy, Boxxy, Rofa, Lain, MI?

im going to this for sure

Boxxy

Smash Lord
what do you mean by finals are double elimination? is the tourney up until finals single elimination?

under the part about 1v1 tourney

Flint VGC

Smash Cadet
In response to Boxxy: there are two possible ways we'd run this tournament, depending on turnout (in order to fit time constraints).

Option 1 (larger turnout): Pool Play
- Players/teams are divided into pools of 8
- In each pool, everyone plays everyone else
- When finished, the top 2 ranking (based on most wins) from each pool move on to double-elimination finals

Option 2 (smaller turnout): Round Robin
- Everyone plays everyone else
- When finished, the top 4 ranking will move on to double-elimination finals

Boxxy

Smash Lord
alright i see. How many people do you think we'd have to go with option 1? Also, would you mind help on setting up pools or something? (Depending on how many good people go) I wouldn't want to spend of time on it, but just so some pools arent stacked. Cause i really dont think it'd be fair if like i got put into a pool with lain and judge lol.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
With our Brawl tournament last year we had almost 80 people for just Brawl.
Say what? The last time I heard of an attendance of over 80 for a Michigan tournament was CyGamz, and like half the people who registered for it didn't even show up and got DQ'd. I wasn't even aware we had 80 people.

Also, I am slightly curious about your stage list decisions.

D

Deleted member

Who would wanna team for this?

Goddy, Boxxy, Rofa, Lain, MI?

im going to this for sure

If I go it's going to be for singles because I doubt I can find a ride that will take me both days.

I don't think I'd be able to find housing either. :(

Boxxy

Smash Lord
just looked at the stage list after reading ankokus post. I'm going to assume (inb4 u make an *** outta u and me when u assume) that you just copy pasted all the counter stages and didn't remove any from the counter-banned. imo remove distant plannet, luigis mansion, norfair, pirateship. ps2 is eh.

Flint VGC

Smash Cadet
Ok, so I haven't been on all day and it looks like there's a few questions to address now, lol.

Tournament format: after doing some calculations, it looks like we'll probably have to go with option 1 (pool play) unless we get a really disappointing turnout.

Pool balancing: our general practice is to use my tournament management program (I use Tourney Master Pro rather than Tio because it's far more flexible/customizable) to randomly place players/teams into their pools, but if everyone agrees and it doesn't cause undue upset, I am willing to talk to someone who is familiar with all the best players and we'll try to break them up during elimination rounds.

Previous turnout: our Brawl tournament that we held February 21, 2009, had a turnout of 77 paid entrants and total prizes (including cash pot and drawing/door prizes) of around $1,600. At the time I didn't know about the regional zones part of this forum so didn't get very good SmashBoards exposure, but I did extensive local print advertising which was mildly successful.

Stage list decisions: it's true I didn't put too much time/consideration into the stage list; I have some people I usually consult with for decisions like that, but communication was taking too long so I just threw that together. I'm open to suggestions for changes.

Housing: between myself and a few other Video Gamers' Club members, we may be able to accommodate a few people overnight to save them the hassle of driving both days.

D

Deleted member

Housing: between myself and a few other Video Gamers' Club members, we may be able to accommodate a few people overnight to save them the hassle of driving both days.
People like me and my ride? :):)

SoiGreg

Smash Journeyman
Wow, no melee? I really don't know how your going to get 80 people, but hey who am I to say that?

I wont be going Btw.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Wow, no melee? I really don't know how your going to get 80 people, but hey who am I to say that?

I wont be going Btw.
its gonna be like this for attendance...

Me, Boxxy, UofM Flint, maybe some other Mi guys

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Can i pay entrance fee and door fee there? also i will be bringing a setup for both day so will i get the $5 off both day?

Boxxy

Smash Lord
wait if i dont bring a set up either day does that mean i have to pay venu twice? (similar to oris question)

Flint VGC

Smash Cadet
You are only charged the venue fee once; if you're attending both days, the $5 covers both.

And ORI_bro, we do allow registrations and payments at the door for an additional $5 late fee, but if you pre-register and have a good reason why you can't pre-pay I can waive the late charge; send me a PM or contact me via phone/email (my contact info is in the "contact" portion of our tournament site under "Allen Farmer")

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
well i dont hava a paypal so i prefer to pay in cash, but ill go pre register soon.

Top Bottom