• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

March 27-28 UM-Flint VGC Brawl Tourney

Flint VGC

Smash Cadet
btw, you don't have to have an account with PayPal to pay online; when you get to the login page, click on "continue" under where it says "Don't have a PayPal account?" in the left column and you can pay by credit/debit card.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
I know it's free, but where should we park? Because I went to a tourney at UofM Ann Arbor and got a $20 parking ticket when I trekked back to my car...and I'd like to avoid that this time. :x lol Thanks in advance. :D

Also, I'm going to do everything I can to make it to this. 80 people sounds like a dang good time. May the homework be light and my work ethic heavy this week...

Flint VGC

Smash Cadet
Check out our handy-dandy directions and aerial map showing where to park here:
http://tourneys.flintvgc.org/directions.html

Also, you're able to use the bus loop between the parking deck and main building as an equipment drop-off location.

And finally, since I don't want to severely disappoint people if they get their expectations too high, we had 80 people last time, but that doesn't necessarily mean we'll have 80 this time. Last year we got a lot of print advertising posted all around the county and surrounding areas over a month in advance, but this year we're advertising mostly online and to previous participants (we went a bit over budget last year and I personally ended up about $500 in the hole, lol).

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Check out our handy-dandy directions and aerial map showing where to park here:
http://tourneys.flintvgc.org/directions.html

Also, you're able to use the bus loop between the parking deck and main building as an equipment drop-off location.

And finally, since I don't want to severely disappoint people if they get their expectations too high, we had 80 people last time, but that doesn't necessarily mean we'll have 80 this time. Last year we got a lot of print advertising posted all around the county and surrounding areas over a month in advance, but this year we're advertising mostly online and to previous participants (we went a bit over budget last year and I personally ended up about $500 in the hole, lol).
Those directions help. :D True, I'm sure there'll be a decent turnout...the website looks well-done. So far it looks good for me coming. I don't see this week being terribly busy for me. Let's hype this up, MI. Don't wait a day before the tournament like we did with "Science!" last week. lol

IrisKong

Smash Lord
Well I was going to go until I saw it was 2 days long and that you had to register online or pay extra...good luck guys (dont have a way to pay for things online)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Wow, 70/20/10? Haven't seen that payout ratio in a while.

Flint VGC

Smash Cadet
IrisKong: for people that don't have a way of paying online, if they contact me and explain then I will waive the late fee. And for the 2-day issue, as I explained earlier, last time the tournament went for 12+ hours, plus setup and tear-down, so we thought it would be less exhausting to break it up and do 1v1 one day and 2v2 the next.

Notra and Ankoku: we chose those payouts because we thought the excitement would be greater if you're running for higher stakes, and also unless the entire competition is round-robin (everyone plays everyone, which takes forever), you can't really definitively determine anything beyond 2nd place (suppose the rightful 3rd place loses to the top 2 in elimination rounds?) so I thought 3rd was pushing it as it is. But if the general consensus is that splitting it up more and thus reducing the top prize is better for everyone we might be willing to change it. Input anyone?

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
IrisKong: for people that don't have a way of paying online, if they contact me and explain then I will waive the late fee. And for the 2-day issue, as I explained earlier, last time the tournament went for 12+ hours, plus setup and tear-down, so we thought it would be less exhausting to break it up and do 1v1 one day and 2v2 the next.

Notra and Ankoku: we chose those payouts because we thought the excitement would be greater if you're running for higher stakes, and also unless the entire competition is round-robin (everyone plays everyone, which takes forever), you can't really definitively determine anything beyond 2nd place (suppose the rightful 3rd place loses to the top 2 in elimination rounds?) so I thought 3rd was pushing it as it is. But if the general consensus is that splitting it up more and thus reducing the top prize is better for everyone we might be willing to change it. Input anyone?
The standard is 60% for 1st, 30% for 2nd, and 10% for 3rd. Though for really big tournaments, they can decide to pay the top 5ish or so players.

Flint VGC

Smash Cadet
Hmm, actually now I think of it, I'm pretty sure I usually do 60/30/10, so I must have been sleepy when typing that up lol. I changed it now, but what's everyone's opinion on us going to top 4 or 5? How big should a tournament be before breaking it up that much?

Also, is 75/25 reasonable for the 2v2, seeing as that ends up being distributed between 4 people, or should we do something different? Last year we didn't get any complaints, so I just didn't think about changing it.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Hmm, actually now I think of it, I'm pretty sure I usually do 60/30/10, so I must have been sleepy when typing that up lol. I changed it now, but what's everyone's opinion on us going to top 4 or 5? How big should a tournament be before breaking it up that much?

Also, is 75/25 reasonable for the 2v2, seeing as that ends up being distributed between 4 people, or should we do something different? Last year we didn't get any complaints, so I just didn't think about changing it.
I rarely do doubles, so I probably won't be here on day 2...but I think it is 60/30/10 for doubles as well. It is your tournament, be open to advice, yet don't let people scare you into changing it. :p

I mean, back here in Toledo, our TO's have had alot of flaws in running their tournaments, but there has always been big turnouts and everyone has had a great time. I've given them suggestions and everything runs much smoother as more tournaments come up.

Flint VGC

Smash Cadet
It is your tournament, be open to advice, yet don't let people scare you into changing it. :p
lol, I'm not gonna be 'scared' into changing anything; I know from experience that you can never please everyone and people will argue/piss&moan/fling poo back and forth no matter what you decide, but I like to listen and take advice whenever someone has a legitimate concern. I'm trying to serve/please the players, not the other way around, and I'll do everything in my power to achieve that end.

Sumer

Smash Ace
I'm considering going to this..

If so, teamsies anyone? :3

I might need a ride though since I'm not sure if I'll have the car/feel like driving, so if anyone is driving past state let me know.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Turns out I have to pay 100 extra bucks towards something that just came up today...I need a new parking pass. My college is an effing tyranny and I can't wait to get away this summer... I'm not so sure about coming now, I'll let you know sometime this week. I may have to hold off on tournies till the mid/end of April.

Flint VGC

Smash Cadet
Turns out I have to pay 100 extra bucks towards something that just came up today...I need a new parking pass. My college is an effing tyranny and I can't wait to get away this summer... I'm not so sure about coming now, I'll let you know sometime this week. I may have to hold off on tournies till the mid/end of April.
But if you just play extra well you might be able to pay that 100 extra bucks with your winnings! lol

Oh well. Wish you could make it, but if you can't then I'll try not to hate you too much.

Sumer

Smash Ace
I actually read some of the replies in this thread, and I'd appreciate housing for the night if I end up coming so I don't have to drive back and forth both days.

Also, I really think you should re-work the stage list before the actual day of the tourney. A lot of people who've already commented in this thread are experienced tourney goers and I'm sure most of them know the standard stages played at tourneys to make them run the most fairly, and I'd be happy to give input on the stage list as well.

Flint VGC

Smash Cadet
Sumer (and anyone else interested), we will work to find accommodations for anyone that needs to stay overnight. I personally should be able to handle 7-8 players at my house with couches, cots, and inflatable mattresses; you would just need to bring your own sleeping bag or blanket and pillow. As of now, 3 of my spots are spoken for: GodzSon, his ride, and Sumer. Anyone else that needs a place to stay just let me know.

As for the stage list, I'm listening. So far one person has suggested removing Distant Planet, Luigi's Mansion, Norfair, Pirate Ship, and perhaps Pokemon Stadium 2 from the counter-pick stages. What does everyone else say? I understand there's some discrepancy (obviously if there were a consensus then the recommended stage list wouldn't have optional stages), but I want to know what most people are comfortable with for a well-balanced list.

Sumer

Smash Ace
Sounds nice, thanks in advance. Also, here's a pretty standard stage list I'd say almost any competitive player would agree upon, and is used at many tourneys (slight alterations between different regions may apply).

Starter Stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Pokemon Stadium 1

Counter Stages:
Castle Siege
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Brinstar
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Pictochat
Rainbow Cruise

Banned:
The rest..lol

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
sumer's list is good but as a TO as well i usually swap Japes out for Norfair but Sumer has a legit stage list

Flint VGC

Smash Cadet
Okay, I've tentatively modified the stage list to Sumer's suggestion and I've had one vote for and one against including Norfair. If anyone disagrees with this list or has additional comments to make regarding the inclusion of Norfair, please let me know and I'll consider your argument, but I'm feeling pretty good about where it's at now.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
My money situation is soooo bad...but I want to go soooo bad.

I may have figured out a solution to my $100 parking pass. I parked in the neighborhood right across from campus...there's a sign that said it was legal to park there anytime. If I get through tomorrow just fine parking there, I may have a chance at coming...just gotta think how the next month or so is going to play out when I get my paychecks and stuff. (I am getting birthday money 4 days after this tournament too) I have to walk a little more each day, but it's exercise, it's not that bad, and it saves me money. Take that, college. >:D

+1 DL.

FU^InSmash

Smash Cadet
Norfair should be banned in my opinion. It can ruin legit matches. I played there for a match and setup 2 perfect spikes with marth but they failed because the lava saved them and i lost the match when i should not have. Lava also can kill you which i find very uncool. just my opinion.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
I think I'm going, but there's something that doesn't feel right in me going lol. I'm pretty dang poor, but I'm getting money next week. I made a detailed schedule of when my payments have to be and when my paychecks are coming over the next month and I think I can manage. Who knows...I may come home with something big too if I do good.

IrisKong

Smash Lord
If you wave my late fee since I cant pay online, and I can convince someone I have played with before, CoCo, Mikey, NoJ or Judge, to team with me, I will go to doubles on day 2.

Flint VGC

Smash Cadet
If you wave my late fee since I cant pay online, and I can convince someone I have played with before, CoCo, Mikey, NoJ or Judge, to team with me, I will go to doubles on day 2.
Just explain in the "comments" box when you pre-register online and I will waive your late payment fee.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
3 more days major hype!

how is everything looking on the flint campus? are a lot looking like they are gonna come to this?

D

Deleted member

Just got done registering.

Looks like I won't be needing housing because I can't find a ride for both days. :urg:

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Hype. Something keeps telling me I should come to this. :p

My college gaming club runs these kind of tournaments and we usually get a good turnout from our University if it helps.

Top Bottom