• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

March 18 Tournament in Eureka, MO

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
yeah everyone better go!

also if you want we could make an illinois crew.. like me zig random mune.. err nike even though hes MO..?

Mune

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
Mune#719
I'm up for an Illi crew. Random too, if he shows up.

And to keep track of them (all $1):

Sam - Zelda versus Link
nike - Jigglypuff versus Fox
Deku - Marth versus Fox

And Zig, do you still want to do a Pikachu ditto? =) I know I'll lose, but I did promise you.

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
so far...

lixi IC's vs fox 3 $
nette falco vs fox 2$
zig pika vs fox 1$
apple ? vs ? 2$
ironman with smooth 2$
nike (im guessing) jiggs vs fox? 2$
mune fox vs marth 1$

and then i think sam said
sam zelda vs falco 1$

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Well, it looks like theirs no, TJ or Toga coming. Whose gonna stop Andy?
If someone can just talk Andy into using Marth or Samus all the way there may yet be some suspense here.

Or if the KC people show up (which I doubt).

nikePK

Smash Journeyman
rofl smooth!

Why no Toga? I figured TJ wouldn't come since he's doing that smashfest the day earlier and whatnot...

Mune, I'd love to Iron Man you for fun before or after our 1 dollar match.

And I'm gonna rock Andy left and right =P
Then Lixi will beat me haha.

Also, I'll be 4 dollars richer from my MMs hehe! We'll see in just a few days I suppose. Get ready!

bandbgameshop

Smash Cadet
Ok to be completely honest...I have no idea what a lot of you guys are talking about. Everyone seems to be wanting information that I should know stuff about but just don't. Banned techniques and counterpicking and what not...I know none of it. I know it's probably a little frustrating, but I need you guys to kinda just bear with me on this one. This is only our second tournament and we are still trying to get a hang of things. There will probably be a lot of last minute desicions made on how things get done when people get here and I actually get the chance to talk to people, just like last time. I have the software that the one guy posted so no one needs to worry about that. I'm sorry I'm not as detailed with my rules as some of you would like me to be, and hopefully next time I'll know better what else to put in there. Thanks for all the info and help that has been given so far, it's just a lot to process and I don't have that much time to actually go through everything and try to figure out what areas people agree on on ruling and where they argue and figure out what's the best way to go.

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
by "that one guy" you mean me right? (I hope we're talking about the same program cause its the only one i know)

But yeah, dont worry about it, Its really not that difficult. Their will be plenty of us who have been to many of these and we'll know what to do. If you can, just try and get the place set up nicely to help make things run smoothly. I think everyone knows the rules. The rules for counterpicks are a bit tricky, but im sure we can figure that out.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Ok to be completely honest...I have no idea what a lot of you guys are talking about. Everyone seems to be wanting information that I should know stuff about but just don't. Banned techniques and counterpicking and what not...I know none of it. I know it's probably a little frustrating, but I need you guys to kinda just bear with me on this one. This is only our second tournament and we are still trying to get a hang of things. There will probably be a lot of last minute desicions made on how things get done when people get here and I actually get the chance to talk to people, just like last time. I have the software that the one guy posted so no one needs to worry about that. I'm sorry I'm not as detailed with my rules as some of you would like me to be, and hopefully next time I'll know better what else to put in there. Thanks for all the info and help that has been given so far, it's just a lot to process and I don't have that much time to actually go through everything and try to figure out what areas people agree on on ruling and where they argue and figure out what's the best way to go.
Sorry if I demanded too much of you guys.

I've only been to two tournaments, but there is inevitably a LOT of time wasted because people don't know what to do. As already stated, iime is very important to me this time around, so I want to make sure things will go as smoothly as possible.

Here's what I hope you guys will do.

Let people in at noon or earlier. Let them set up and have Free Play until the tournament starts. If you want, you can charge a small fee for using your setups, but if we bring our own, we should be able to have Free Play on those. (If there are going to be Crew Battles, I hope we can finish them by 2:00 PM)

Decide quickly if there will be a Doubles tournament. I can live without it, but you guys might want to take a quick poll on that day (this is why you should let people in as early as possible). If there is in fact Doubles, it should be $10 or $20 per team, random seeding into brackets (no pools), double elimination, and it should take place before Singles.

Singles format will depend on how many people show up. Round-robin pool play of 4-5 people per pool determines the brackets. Software should take care of the rest.

-- Tournament rules --
*Again, these are only suggestions.

All sets best 2 out of 3
All games are 4 stock, 8 minutes, no items
Double elimination bracket
Each player allowed one pause per set, unless it's to reset a stage. Game must be unpaused within a minute; excessive pausing results in forfeit of that game

Ice Climbers's freeze glitch is banned.
All other techniques can be used:
Ness' Yo-yo glitch and jackets are legal; can PK magnet the turret on Corneria
Ice Climbers wobbling is legal only to deal damage. Excessive stalling past 200% results in forfeit of that game
Peach's wallbombing and Jigglypuff's rising pound are legal only for recovering. Excessive stalling offstage for more than a minute results in forfeit of that game

Finals set will be out of 7 games
Loser's Bracket winner needs to win 4 out of 7
Winner's Bracket winner needs to win only 3 out of 7
* This is a little different from standard tournament rules, but I think it's better; otherwise Finals will take forever

Stage selection rules:

At the beginning of each set, each player can choose to ban any legal stage.
First game is Random unless both players can agree on a stage.
For each subsequent game, previous loser counterpicks stage, winner picks character, then loser picks character.
In any set, you cannot counterpick a stage you already won a game on.

- Random stages (you can counterpick with one of these if you lost the previous game) -
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Pokemon Stadium
Yoshi's Story
Battlefield
Dreamland 64

- Counterpick only stages -
Corneria
Mute City
Kongo Jungle 64
Rainbow Cruise
Poke Floats
Brinstar
Kongo Jungle
Jungle Japes
Onett
Green Greens

Fountain of Dreams and Mute City should be banned for Doubles because of lag. Otherwise stage selection rules are the same.

B & B Gameshops: If nothing else, please post a schedule of when people are allowed to come in, and what time events are planned to start

Smooth_One

Smash Ace
Finals set will be out of 7 games
Loser's Bracket winner needs to win 4 out of 7
Winner's Bracket winner needs to win only 3 out of 7
* This is a little different from standard tournament rules, but I think it's better; otherwise Finals will take forever
Wouldn't that just be 3 out of 5, instead of 7?
And, could you explain why you changed it/why the normal way takes forever?

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Wouldn't that just be 3 out of 5, instead of 7?
And, could you explain why you changed it/why the normal way takes forever?
I say "out of 7" because the set could go up to that many games. If Loser wins 3 and then Winner wins 3 then there will have been more than 5 games played.

The normal way is that the Winner has to win only 1 set while the Loser has to win 2. And if I remember correctly, in previous tournaments, these finals sets have been 3 out of 5 instead of 2 out of 3. It just seems to me that people start losing the will to play by the time they get into like the 5th game.

I think the Final should be more than a single 2-out-of-3 set, but I don't want them to go on so long that the players stop caring.

But I don't know; even if I could stay that long, it's not as though I'll be anywhere near it. This is purely for the consideration of other players.

bandbgameshop

Smash Cadet
For someone who has only been to a couple of tourney lixi you seem to really know your stuff. I had planned on letting people in around noon already so you don't have to worry about that. Gotta let people who are bringing set-ups actually set them up. We are gonna do the same thing we did last time with the free play stuff. If you are playing on our stuff we are gonna have to charge you eventually. But if it's on brought set-ups you can go all out. To be completely honest we weren't planning on having a doubles tournament, but if there are enough people that really want to, we can work something out. You think it should be before the singles tournament? I was planning on having it afterwards if we had it. I guess we can always take a vote before hand and see what everyone wants.

Mune

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
Mune#719
I'd say do doubles after singles., since it's a Sunday and I'm sure most people were just coming for singles anyway (since that's all there was going to be).

nikePK

Smash Journeyman
i agree w/ Mune. Singles before Doubles, since some people will have to leave early...

So we can drop by at noon? That's awesome. I'll probably try and get there by 12:30 w/ my setup and to get practice. Hope a lot of u guys show up early.

Lixi is right on the rules, B&B, even if u don't know what some of it is (heck I don't even know what wobbling is lol). And most all of us on smashboards knows what its all about. If there are any new people at the tourney that don't know/understand something, any of us can do an announcement on the rules prior to starting.

Thanks for understanding, we know we're demanding lol. Should turn out fine in the end and you guys will gain a lot of experience in running a slightly larger smash tourney.

The Black Cat

Smash Journeyman
Oh hey Muba, Sams, zig-zag, genoblast and umm...all the others. Well hopefuly I can come, informing Seth and Shiner immediately! Only 2 days notice instead of a month just watch, this will be the tourny Seth can actualy come to. Oh and me and Shiner no longer suck, maybe even our new Ness/Jigg player coming as well. Umm just wondering is this that place where another tournament was a while ago? Card shop, loud yu-gi-oh players showing up for a tourny half way through? Also what was that with the "banned techs" I've never heard of this having been to only 2 tournaments. So no, we all do not know. Please inform me

P.S: Can I copy somebodies smash data? Sad but true I only got Melee a year ago even though I had been playing it the day it came out. So I kinda...sorta don't have...all the stages.

Oh and brining that lil' t.v everyone seemed to love the first time.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Wobbling is the Ice Climber's grab A/tilt-A infinite, which is a true infinite that's inescapable once started.

Personally, I can't wobble and I'd hate to have it used against me; honestly I'd have no problem to see it banned, but that seems kind of petty.

So if everybody else wants it banned I'd wholeheartedly agree to that.

nikePK

Smash Journeyman
black cat, no its not the same card shop. This is a different place, right down the road from Six Flags. Much nicer looking place too. Hope you can make it, man! The more the merrier.

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
Noooo!!! I need my wobbling its so much fun. Lol, id say it actually makes me worse, cause when i play ICs i try to do it and it always screws me over.

and blackcat, you guys really need to come to this, I wanna meet this "Seth" character.

The Black Cat

Smash Journeyman
Oooh a nicer place, nice. Yah Me and Shiner for sure. Our Ness/Jigg can't make it. Seth might come. "I don't need to go to a tournament to prove I'm good." but yah he is a little better than us though lol. Another reason he might not go is cuz he's tryng to train someone up real good like. Noob Link which shows a lot of potential once he learns some decent techs. So yah it's like 50/50 with him right now.

Oh and if he does come how the hell does a crew match work out? So when people said banned-techs they ment wobbling?

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Oooh a nicer place, nice. Yah Me and Shiner for sure. Our Ness/Jigg can't make it. Seth might come. "I don't need to go to a tournament to prove I'm good." but yah he is a little better than us though lol. Another reason he might not go is cuz he's tryng to train someone up real good like. Noob Link which shows a lot of potential once he learns some decent techs. So yah it's like 50/50 with him right now.

Oh and if he does come how the hell does a crew match work out? So when people said banned-techs they ment wobbling?
That's pretty funny, since going tournaments and playing other people IS how you prove that you're good. Unless by "good" you mean "best player in your crew", in which case that may already be true, but it's aiming rather low, don't you think?

SamDvds

Smash Ace
That's pretty funny, since going tournaments and playing other people IS how you prove that you're good. Unless by "good" you mean "best player in your crew", in which case that may already be true, but it's aiming rather low, don't you think?
OoOooO Burrrrrn! Lolz:chuckle:

SpyroDi

Smash Rookie
I'm going to see if I can go tomorrow...I really want to practice my Ganon. Like the last tournament, I don't know if I'll enter, but I'm free for free play.

Smooth_One

Smash Ace
Holy flying fudge it's tomorrow. :)

A'ight here are my MMs I've got scheduled.

$1 MM
Lixi
-Ganon vs. Doc
-Marth vs. Falcon
-Falcon vs. Fox

$2 MM
Nette

$2 Iron Man
Deku
Nike
Apple

nikePK

Smash Journeyman
yeaaaaaahhhhh iron man is gonna rock ^_^

Hope you guys show up early... i want some major practice beforehand... and time to fit in all our MMs prior to the tourney start!

Cyas tomorrow.

Top Bottom