• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Mar 14, 2015] Bourbon State Smash #1 (Louisville, KY)

Dagduh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
abpard
Bourbon State Smash #1
Competitive Singles Tournament
Double Elim Bracket
Smash For Wii U
No Customs
No Miis

https://www.facebook.com/events/955862544432563/

Venue: Something 2 Do
March 14th, 2015
Start time: 11:00 AM

PLEASE BRING CASH FOR FEES
1$ venue fee
5$ event fee
PLEASE BRING CASH FOR FEES

Prize Payout:
1st: 50% of cash pool
2nd. 25% of cash pool
3rd. 10% of cash pool

rest of cash pool goes towards next event/ large prizes

RULES:

Stage List

---Starter Stages---

● Battlefield
● Omega Palutena's Temple (in place of Final Destination)
● Smashville

---Counterpick Stages---

● Castle Siege
● Delfino Plaza
● Duck Hunt
● Halberd
● Kongo Jungle 64
● Lylat Cruise
● Town & City
● Omega Stages*

* Treated as Final Destination in banning phase.
If Final Destination is banned, Omegas are banned and vice versa

C. Additional Rules

● Stage Striking: For the first round the player with port priority strikes one stage from the Starter Stage list. Then the other player strikes one stage and the remaining stage is used for the first match.
● Stage Clause: You cannot counterpick a stage that has already been played on in the set.
● Stage Bans: After a game, the player who won the
previous game may ban 2 stages from either the Starter or Counterpick lists. Then the player who lost may choose one of the remaining stages to play on.

I'll have a copy of the stage list at each station, so don't worry.

---The Matches---

Matches will be best 2 out of 3.
The top 4 of the Winner and Loser brackets will become best 3 out of 5.
No items.
2 Stocks.

Last edited:

Dagduh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
abpard
At the time no customs. Until we get a majority of players asking for it it will stay like that!

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hellu. Will try me bestest to come down. Also, you might want to consider tagging the thread with a Midwest tag. Could attract more ppl.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I have a personal shindig going on in my area on this day, so a group of us won't be coming down. Also no customs, so, :|

If you want attendance, you might want to post on the KY/OH/IN facebook group; that's where most tend to be now.

Last edited:

Dagduh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
abpard
I have a personal shindig going on in my area on this day, so a group of us won't be coming down. Also no customs, so, :|

If you want attendance, you might want to post on the KY/OH/IN facebook group; that's where most tend to be now.

We have had more people ask for customs to be off, so until the majority of the people going want customs on we won't be using them.

Also it's been on there, it's on the main upcoming events post.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Oo I'm digging the stagelist and the no customs. I'm visiting my father this weekend, but when I get a weekend off, I'll def bring a car or two down.

Kaiyedy

Smash Cadet
I'm going to try to be there with my freinds, one of which only chooses random and opts only to choose a specific character if he has to. Will random be an optional character choice?
(only one of us has done a tournament before, so I don't really know how it works, exactly)

Dagduh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
abpard
I'm going to try to be there with my freinds, one of which only chooses random and opts only to choose a specific character if he has to. Will random be an optional character choice?
(only one of us has done a tournament before, so I don't really know how it works, exactly)
I mean if you really want to rando you can and we will have people on hand to explain how the tournament process works

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I miss Something 2 Do and Brandy, but eh. 15% of the pool goes to future events? Larger prizes? I'm not even sure what that means. Also, no customs, and I'm assuming 2 stock 6 minutes. Yeah, gonna sit this one out.

Dagduh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
abpard
I miss Something 2 Do and Brandy, but eh. 15% of the pool goes to future events? Larger prizes? I'm not even sure what that means. Also, no customs, and I'm assuming 2 stock 6 minutes. Yeah, gonna sit this one out.
K

Giganterra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Giganterra
No one making you go. 2 stock makes you play hard right out the gate. I'm still getting use to it. Gotta practice up.

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
No one making you go. 2 stock makes you play hard right out the gate. I'm still getting use to it. Gotta practice up.
Uses his first ever smashboards post to disrespect one of the best and most respected players in his area.

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
I would like to go... but I dunno it's hard to go on a bad transmission haha. Anyway I'll see what I can do. Also Hilt has the right to be mad at that place from what I experienced with it also during the good ol days of brawl.

Dagduh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
abpard
I would like to go... but I dunno it's hard to go on a bad transmission haha. Anyway I'll see what I can do. Also Hilt has the right to be mad at that place from what I experienced with it also during the good ol days of brawl.
Well I hope you can make it!
And they are just being the venue. Everything is really in my (and the crews) hands. I'm pretty open to suggestions after the event, too. I'm more for having people coming and having fun than being strict and saying my way or the highway. Like if this one works out well time-wise I am leaning towards jumping to 3 stocks since so many people prefer that (including me)

Also could you tell me what went wrong with the Brawl days? I want to avoid repeats if possible.

Last edited:

Dagduh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
abpard
Uses his first ever smashboards post to disrespect one of the best and most respected players in his area.

I didn't see any disrespect, bruh. I mean dude came in and acted like the event was below him when he could of just not posted. Oh well. Anyways, I do see that more people prefer 3 stocks so if time works out well that's def. something we will move to. This one is more to feel out the scene and get used to larger events on my side. I just want people to have fun.

SpenyEX

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpenyEXP
I was wondering why are miis not allowed? (If you want an easy and fast way to add them I suggest using the default miis with all attacks on 1111.)

Dagduh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
abpard
I was wondering why are miis not allowed? (If you want an easy and fast way to add them I suggest using the default miis with all attacks on 1111.)
So far I have heard people don't want miis. I'll ask around more at the tournament and if a good amount want/don't mind them I have no problem adding them for future events.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I still don't understand why 15% of the pot is being pocketed by the TOs. Could you please explain? This is something that is important for the attendees to know and the reasons you gave in the opening post are extremely vague.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
I'd love to visit a something 2 do tournament again, considering that's where I (And a lot of the veteran smashers from our area) started out. I have to agree with Hilt on this one though. I'm not the biggest fan of 2 Stock, 6 Minute, No Customs ruleset. I'll most likely sit out as well, at least this time.

Last edited:

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
If I go, I'll keep an eye on that 15%. And when it goes towards a large prize, I'ma be like "it ain't big enough, now give me my 15%"

Dagduh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
abpard
I still don't understand why 15% of the pot is being pocketed by the TOs. Could you please explain? This is something that is important for the attendees to know and the reasons you gave in the opening post are extremely vague.
Nothing is being pocketed. It's going to go to things like special prizes. For example, we will have more than just cash prizes, like amiibos and eshop things for the tournaments. We usually give out fun prizes for hypest set and other superlatives.

I was keeping it a bit vague because we like to keep them as surprises but I'd prefer people don't start witch hunts or anything over something.

Derek&TheDominos

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, Derek here, I'm also one of the Tournament Organizers for Bourbon State Smash, and I'd like to address the complaints about the tiny portion we'll be saving up to go towards future events.

The reason the explanation is vague is because we haven't finalized what we'll be doing in the future, only that we will continue to do tournaments. We would particularly like to have additional prizes on top of the cash prizes for first, second, third... for example, in our early invite-only tournaments, we have done awards for Best Offense, Best Defense, MVP, Most Hyped Match, Saltiest Player, and other things. We have purchased amiibo and airbrushed them gold to make trophies, including a golden Mario and golden Bowser. We had custom Bourbon State Smash bottles made for the winning crew at our last informal tournament. We've managed to get a hold of some really cool, hard to find swag that comes from official Nintendo promo events. Basically, we like to do extras, and so far we've been doing them completely out of pocket, in free tournaments with no cash prize or entry fee.

But let's get down to the nitty-gritty.

15% of a $5 entry fee isn't much (not counting the $1 venue fee we don't get to touch anyway). That's $0.75 per person. At an optimistic turnout of 64 people, that's only $48. A VERY optimistic turnout for a first tournament. Even if you assume we dastardly TOs pocket that money and run, that's just under $10 a person. Oh man, watch out, for all the work we'll put into the tournament we would be making less than the average Best Buy salesperson makes in an hour. And more importantly, we won't just be pocketing that money, it will be used for future BSS-related expenditures like cool bonus prizes, which we TOs will decide depending on what that 15% turns out to be and what opportunities arise. We may have a couple little surprises at this tournament, but nothing big, because we'd really prefer not to keep paying out of pocket for everything on top of the labor we put in. Our dream is to only have to work for these tournaments, not make money or spend money.

Basically, we're looking to start a competitive but mostly FUN small-scale local scene. If you want to be part of fun and laughs, and whoop some behind in Smash while you're at it, we want you to come have a good time. If you're too put off by the idea that I might sneak off with less money than I make checking my email and voicemail in the morning, then I'm sorry that $0.75 is standing in the way of a good time with a bunch of happy Smashers and fellow gamers. We value the fun and excitement of the tournament experience a lot more than the money... I'm not even going to be playing, so I'll be overseeing the event despite 0 financial gain on my part. If I was worried about money, I'd just check my work email Saturday morning instead :)

Last edited:

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Hey guys, Derek here, I'm also one of the Tournament Organizers for Bourbon State Smash, and I'd like to address the complaints about the tiny portion we'll be saving up to go towards future events.

The reason the explanation is vague is because we haven't finalized what we'll be doing in the future, only that we will continue to do tournaments. We would particularly like to have additional prizes on top of the cash prizes for first, second, third... for example, in our early invite-only tournaments, we have done awards for Best Offense, Best Defense, MVP, Most Hyped Match, Saltiest Player, and other things. We have purchased amiibo and airbrushed them gold to make trophies, including a golden Mario and golden Bowser. We had custom Bourbon State Smash bottles made for the winning crew at our last informal tournament. We've managed to get a hold of some really cool, hard to find swag that comes from official Nintendo promo events. Basically, we like to do extras, and so far we've been doing them completely out of pocket, in free tournaments with no cash prize or entry fee.

But let's get down to the nitty-gritty.

15% of a $5 entry fee isn't much (not counting the $1 venue fee we don't get to touch anyway). That's $0.75 per person. At an optimistic turnout of 64 people, that's only $48. A VERY optimistic turnout for a first tournament. Even if you assume we dastardly TOs pocket that money and run, that's just under $10 a person. Oh man, watch out, for all the work we'll put into the tournament we would be making less than the average Best Buy salesperson makes in an hour. And more importantly, we won't just be pocketing that money, it will be used for future BSS-related expenditures like cool bonus prizes, which we TOs will decide depending on what that 15% turns out to be and what opportunities arise. We may have a couple little surprises at this tournament, but nothing big, because we'd really prefer not to keep paying out of pocket for everything on top of the labor we put in. Our dream is to only have to work for these tournaments, not make money or spend money.

Basically, we're looking to start a competitive but mostly FUN small-scale local scene. If you want to be part of fun and laughs, and whoop some behind in Smash while you're at it, we want you to come have a good time. If you're too put off by the idea that I might sneak off with less money than I make checking my email and voicemail in the morning, then I'm sorry that $0.75 is standing in the way of a good time with a bunch of happy Smashers and fellow gamers. We value the fun and excitement of the tournament experience a lot more than the money... I'm not even going to be playing, so I'll be overseeing the event despite 0 financial gain on my part. If I was worried about money, I'd just check my work email Saturday morning instead :)
Thanks for the info. Transparency is always a good thing to have in a TO. I think most peoples' concerns were not how much money you might pocket, but the fact that any money is pocketed at all. It's the principle of the matter. I personally don't think you'll pocket anything, you seem sincere enough, but it's at least nice to know exactly where our hard earned money is going.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I'm keeping my eye on this since there's absolutely nothing else going on this week, I need practice, and my Cinci boys might be going. @ Mister Eric Mister Eric

Taking money out of the pot burns players coming for dat money. I'd personally prefer if venue fee was raised to $2 to cover your costs than having a smaller reward for winning. That's why we have venue fees in the first place, so you don't have to pay out of pocket for hosting the event.

I don't think anyone would be against 3 stocks (more play time!), especially since this is a single-event tourney that will probably be over by 5PM (very early by smash standards). 2 stocks is just a half-baked measure to shave, at most, an hour off tourney times.

Also +1 for customs (yeah, Katakiri just said that...)

Last edited:

Dagduh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
abpard
If I go, I'll keep an eye on that 15%. And when it goes towards a large prize, I'ma be like "it ain't big enough, now give me my 15%"
Thanks for the info. Transparency is always a good thing to have in a TO. I think most peoples' concerns were not how much money you might pocket, but the fact that any money is pocketed at all. It's the principle of the matter. I personally don't think you'll pocket anything, you seem sincere enough, but it's at least nice to know exactly where our hard earned money is going.
Yeah we aren't in this for money. We just want to help the scene and have fun

Dagduh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
abpard
I'm keeping my eye on this since there's absolutely nothing else going on this week, I need practice, and my Cinci boys might be going. @ Mister Eric Mister Eric

Taking money out of the pot burns players coming for dat money. I'd personally prefer if venue fee was raised to $2 to cover your costs than having a smaller reward for winning. That's why we have venue fees in the first place, so you don't have to pay out of pocket for hosting the event.

I don't think anyone would be against 3 stocks (more play time!), especially since this is a single-event tourney that will probably be over by 5PM (very early by smash standards). 2 stocks is just a half-baked measure to shave, at most, an hour off tourney times.

Also +1 for customs (yeah, Katakiri just said that...)
I am heavily leaning towards 3 stocks in the future. And yeah, it is purely to shave time. Since this is our first event at the venue and they asked us not to go past a certain time I wanted to make sure that we didn't go too long. Once I get a feel of how quick I'll be able to get matches going I'll update the rules for the next venue accordingly.

I hope you do come! It should be a great time!

For customs I'll do a poll at the event and that will decide for us!

I am not an employee of S2D. I am a smash fan that was hosting events out of my **** apartment for months and want to get to bigger places. So the venue fee is from them and the event is from us.

If we do the whole extra prize thing and everyone hates it then yeah, well just put that remaining 15% into the pool. However we've gotten nothing but positive feedback about it from players that actually went to events. Really everything that people are iffy about can change. The stocks, customs, anything. It's about fun and what the players want.

I just gotta unlock customs ;-;

Last edited:

Derek&TheDominos

Smash Rookie
In all fairness, the difference in the pot wouldn't be that great at our entry fee. Assuming the above optimistic 64 man tourney, you're hypothetically talking about a difference between $160 for first prize and $176 for first prize. The difference in money isn't that great.

I respectfully reject the idea of raising the venue fee. I should point out that charging $2 for the venue fee and giving people the whole pot would actually be taking an additional $0.25 per person over the current plan, with the added disadvantage of not being transparent in purpose. As it is, we are letting everyone know that we plan to keep a small portion of the pot in order to help fund larger prizes for future tournaments. I would call that transparent.

Again, I think I would be more inclined to agree with the sentiment if this were a large tournament, but the goal is to create a semi-regular local scene of players that is more focused on a fun competition than it is huge winnings (if the "saltiest player" award wasn't a giveaway). In fact, and I may speak out of turn here, but I might actively discourage any player who is primarily interested in money. That, to me, is a sign of someone who has lost sight of what Smash is about.

I can agree that it probably wouldn't make a huge difference, but this will be our first tournament at this venue, and we would rather be safe than sorry when it comes to time for this round. Once we have a good relationship with the venue, and have a better feel for the scope of organizing a potentially much larger tournament, we will gladly move up to 3 stocks. Again, I don't think myself or any of the other TOs would be against that. Having never hosted a public tournament before, our sense of scale may be completely out of whack with some members of the community, and that will require us to adjust to each other.

In the interest of transparency, we're also trying to be a little overly cautious because another group of Smashers has made a pretty bad name of the game and scene in Louisville recently by being rowdy, obnoxious, and just general lunks at various venues. We were actually turned down by multiple venues in the area simply because of our association with the game. This is part of why I will be effectively a full-time moderator at the tournament rather than playing. We're on double secret goody-two-shoes mode until we feel like we have some room to stretch.

This is inconvenient for all of us, but we play the hand we are dealt. Hopefully one tournament is all it takes for us to hit the ground running, but if it takes a second tournament to get everything right there's no harm. The goal is for everyone to have fun, for players to meet other skilled players in their area, to show off your skills without being too much of a lunk, and for the best players to make a little cash for their trouble. And maybe even for non-tournament level players like myself to learn a thing or two on the free-play setups :)

Derek&TheDominos

Smash Rookie
Not to get TOO snippy, but I tell you what, if you win a bonus prize in a future tournament and feel it is not to your liking, I will gladly exchange your prize for your three quarters back.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Let's say these tournaments grow to a large scale. Let's say you get about 100 peeps, which isn't hard to do if you know how to advertise and make it enticing to ppl OoS.
If you're pocketing %15 of that, there goes $75 that about 3 - 5 ppl would love splitting among themselves.
Let's say 1st place gets about $30 - $40 of that $75.
You didn't just take a quarter from me. You took $30 - $40 from me.

cincy got 87 ppl ez pz in january. chicago got 129 players this past weekend (both $10 tournies) when i was there and those were like 95% local. If you advertise properly to KY, OH, and IN, your numbers could def hit 50+. And even then, I'd gladly take the $15 - $20 over an amiibo or what have you.

Everyone is different though. And I completely respect the idea of trying to add a flavor of hype to your tournaments. But we travel for raising our skill, growing our community and earning that pot money. $5 tournies are already almost not worth travelling to profit-wise and the reason I went to S2Ds back in the brawl days was simply because I loved the ppl there (shoutouts to @ DtJ Hilt DtJ Hilt ).

if your end goal here is to keep these tournies attractive to only the local scene, then go for it. Definitely do what you guys set out to do to begin with. But if your goal is to attract MW players from all around, it won't happen much at this venue.

I'm not a know-it-all. But I am an old man in terms of competitive smash. I'm only trying to give you advice. Because your intentions aren't dumb at all. But sometimes good intentions come back to bite you if they aren't handled properly. I hope I get the pleasure of meeting you peeps. Love meeting new smashers. Best of luck with running the tourney.

Dagduh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
abpard
Let's say these tournaments grow to a large scale. Let's say you get about 100 peeps, which isn't hard to do if you know how to advertise and make it enticing to ppl OoS.
If you're pocketing %15 of that, there goes $75 that about 3 - 5 ppl would love splitting among themselves.

cincy got 87 ppl ez pz in january. chicago got 129 players this past weekend (both $10 tournies) when i was there and those were like 95% local. If you advertise properly to KY, OH, and IN, your numbers could def hit 50+. And even then, I'd gladly take the $15 - $20 over an amiibo or what have you.

Everyone is different though. And I completely respect the idea of trying to add a flavor of hype to your tournaments. But we travel for raising our skill, growing our community and earning that pot money. $5 tournies are already almost not worth travelling to profit-wise and the reason I went to S2Ds back in the brawl days was simply because I loved the ppl there (shoutouts to @ DtJ Hilt DtJ Hilt ).

if your end goal here is to keep these tournies attractive to only the local scene, then go for it. Definitely do what you guys set out to do to begin with. But if your goal is to attract MW players from all around, it won't happen much at this venue.

I'm not a know-it-all. But I am an old man in terms of competitive smash. I'm only trying to give you advice. Because your intentions aren't dumb at all. But sometimes good intentions come back to bite you if they aren't handled properly. I hope I get the pleasure of meeting you peeps. Love meeting new smashers. Best of luck with running the tourney.
If we ever had a large tournament (50+) we definitely would just have everything go to the prize pool since it would be too much to try and get secondary prizes and things like we try to do. The smaller events, like this one (probably 40 max) we like doing it because it let's some of the people who came and had fun have a chance to win something.

Again, if everyone in the place totally hates the idea then we won't keep it up.

Also this is the first fully public event. This is to feel out how much people are willing to pay for an event fee and all that jazz. Bourbon State Smash literally just went public two weeks ago so we are trying to get our bearings and settle in. I will be asking people during and after the event what they want to see, whether it be a higher event fee so people win more money, the 15% going back into pools, miis and whatnot, etc.

Derek&TheDominos

Smash Rookie
First off, as Dag said, it's unlikely our bonus awards and prizes would have the same effect on a large tournament. We likely wouldn't bother with it at all. However, for the foreseeable future, that just isn't happening. From everything we've said so far, it's clear we're not aiming for that type of tournament.

Secondly, I'm beginning to take it as a personal insult that you continue to imply we will simply the possibility that we will pocket the money. We're not going to. End of discussion.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
yooo I never implied that.
I'm giving you guys the benefit of the doubt bc I don't know either of you and that would be unfair to assume something shady until I have evidence of such. I'm terribly sorry if you feel insulted. I promise you, that ain't me. I'm nowhere near that guy, and I'm definitely not a keyboard warrior. I got zero punches to hold, throw, etc when it comes to this topic. It's all perspective.

The absolute only reason you guys are making ears perk up in the first place is bc it's taboo to us tourney goers of like 6+ years now to ever see a portion of the pot get taken out, even if it's to continue giving to the players. It just never happens. I'm definitely not saying things can't change. But when you do try to make a change, you get in the crosshairs of interrogation. That's the way it goes. Smash is our baby and we're out to protect it. And I'm sure it's your baby too. And I and others want to come to correct terms on that. I take your word on not pocketing. Just like I took the word of the RTGN organization promising over $2000 to top 8 players in Toledo, OH and they ran off with it. Same with SNES tourney on the east coast in 2009, the dude straight up ran off with the cash, there was a police chase, a hostage situation, and then he held his own self at gun pt.
And then you got Nintendo trying to milk us for what we're worth with marketing.
This situation isn't anywhere near a similar caliber, but just letting you know how dumb it's gotten before lool.

We got our guard up and you have to be ok with that if you want to take on the responsibility as a TO. My first post regarding the 15% might have came off as a jerk post since you don't know me. But I'm all goofy and all play. Now if something sketch was going on, I'd be a diff beast, but there's no truth to that at all yet.

I apologize for any stress, if any, I caused.

Some peeps just don't want their winnings to go to anyone else but them. It might sound selfish, but with 4 hrs of driving, wear and tear on car...we count every penny. I hate to say that but we do. That is an element of competitive smash. Some of us can't afford this hobby otherwise. If you were to mask this as a venue fee, there wouldn't have been a single complaint most likely. It's a matter of principle and the top placing ppl that draws a concern.
EDIT:
I'd rather give you $1 than to donate like $15.75 (my possible cut of winnings + %15 of $5) for someone to get an amiibo. It's more a matter of entry fee. Basically it turns into entry being $4.25 and venue being $1.75. And at that rate, it's almost not worth travelling to unless you get 1st.

Last edited:
Top Bottom