• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Man, i miss stages like this

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ypPy4ifug oldskool match.
The community (including myself) have became more close minded when it comes to what stages are legal for tourny and what not, but I mean hey... hectic stages like these, aren't they kinda what smash is about?

Another awesome match on pokefloats in the related section, for you isai fans ;)

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
The only one I vaguely miss is Corneria and even then, the novelty wears off very quickly.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Walls don't make infinite chain grabs in this game, and the fin on corneria doesn't allow shine infinites either.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
lol@that being gamebreaking

Corneria is a pretty good stage that has a minor problem with Arwings and possibly Fox-breaking. It certainly is not the best stage for tournaments, but it was completely playable for many years just fine. If you appreciate the diversity of stage geometry (in a heavily geometry-based game), fighting in the lower part of the stage is wonderful because of how it transforms options in such great ways. It's a horrible stage to purely stall on since you have to cross over constantly over the fin, creating conflict every time. Despite that, it is a great stage for players who get a lead and force the issue by choosing where and how to fight.

I would love to see top-level players fighting over the laser section. :p

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Wait why can't shine infinites work? Is it because the opponent can tech jump the wall?

Just try it. Waveshine or Drillshine someone against that wall and they will be able to shield midway through. It has something to do with the shape of the wall; because it isn't 90°, it reads the opponent as airborne briefly. They then land immediately and have no landing lag (one of the properties of fox's shine).

Also keep in mind that all shine infinites are escapable through SDI too. Usually all it takes to reverse the situation is getting to the other side of the shine hitbox.

failninja21

Smash Rookie
Just try it. Waveshine or Drillshine someone against that wall and they will be able to shield midway through. It has something to do with the shape of the wall; because it isn't 90°, it reads the opponent as airborne briefly. They then land immediately and have no landing lag (one of the properties of fox's shine).

Also keep in mind that all shine infinites are escapable through SDI too. Usually all it takes to reverse the situation is getting to the other side of the shine hitbox.
lol i'm not good enough to consistently drillshine yet :c but yea I get what you mean.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
If you're a casual who likes chaos like me, yes. (though, I am working on improving my skill, and that's when I prefer simpler stages)

Though, Spear Pillar took the chaos to a rather ridiculous level.

Renth

Smash Hero
Brinstar and Mute City were so fun to play on.

It's okay though, the community wants battlefield only so.. it's only a matter of time.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
The low tier that benefits most from Corneria is definitely YL. While ness can absorb the main canon, YL can block it with his koriki shield (taking no dmg) and he is definitely the better character at camping down there.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Brinstar and Mute City were so fun to play on.

It's okay though, the community wants battlefield only so.. it's only a matter of time.

You can play on those all you want, only in tournaments are they banned. And they both have good reasons for banning (especially Mute City).

D

Deleted member

They're friendlies, what's stopping you?
The only thing that stops my friendlies are when people wanna use the TV for bracket matches haha

The only time I've ever played previously legal stages (Jungle Japes, Mute City, Rainbow Cruise) were in Low Tier Singles, then a time where I agreed in a Gentleman's Clause to go to Rainbow Cruise in a Doubles Match. That's it really.

Frame Perfect

Smash Journeyman
i like playing on rainbow and japes for friendlies but don’t like them for tourney. great bay is my 2nd fav stage but don’t like it for singles, but it’s an ok counter for teams in tourney. hate corneria, brinstar, and mute for tourney but like playing on brinstar. I really like Kongo 64 as a counter for tourney. it’s just really discouraging for new kidz

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
Other than the barrel, why is DK 64 banned from most tourneys?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I really think Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar were decent levels. I'm not really against the notion of a level emphasizing a combat style that encourages maintaining a more structured form of positional advantage (in Cruise, this means staying ahead on the track generally) because the stage will force interaction so long as one player occupies that position (which happens fairly naturally and I don't think the resultant interaction is really bad either). Brinstar I feel similarly about, though less strongly because I really wish the lava followed a more consistent pattern or set of patterns. Modern Melee deals a lot with distances and exploiting movement games wherein a combination of the timer and how a stock based system works often leads to games being won entirely by one character being better at being non-committal. This isn't really a bad thing, but on occasion I think I miss how the hazard levels shifted away from maintaining an option pool through movement and bids for subtle positional superiority to a fight for a more defined high ground. It's simpler but maybe that's a bad thing.

Mute City I mostly just miss fighting Peaches there. And the sick music.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I plan on getting into competitive Smash later on, probably not Melee, but certainly Smash 4. (hopefully there will be online tournaments, that'll make things easier on me)

I'll probably miss the chaos, but at times I don't like chaos either. I'm assuming that's normal for most people though, sometimes they want a fair match with no interference from the stage and other times they just want chaos and fun.

Though, those who are really into competitive Smash may just dislike hazards period. They don't necessarily have to be competitive players either.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
I plan on getting into competitive Smash later on, probably not Melee, but certainly Smash 4. (hopefully there will be online tournaments, that'll make things easier on me)

I'll probably miss the chaos, but at times I don't like chaos either. I'm assuming that's normal for most people though, sometimes they want a fair match with no interference from the stage and other times they just want chaos and fun.

Though, those who are really into competitive Smash may just dislike hazards period. They don't necessarily have to be competitive players either.

When people play competitively, the absolute worst thing to happen would be getting screwed because of a hazard or something out of anyone's control. Competitive basketball players wouldn't like it if the ball suddenly deflates and inflates at random, and competitive target shooters would hate it if their guns suddenly shifted at random.

Chaos doesn't help competitively. It detracts of what's trying to be accomplished, see who has the most skill.

Top Bottom