• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Making Your Own Textures: Download Links and a Small Guide (Updated for legality)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IC3R

Smash Lord
lol I figured out what the problem was: I was indexing too many colors on the _small TGA files. The maximum is 20, as indicated by the error message I posted. It looks like el refugio was right when he said the program would tell you xD

So I got it to run, but some of the portraits broke, like Peach and Sonic. I'm going to remake those and try again.

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
lol I figured out what the problem was: I was indexing too many colors on the _small TGA files. The maximum is 20, as indicated by the error message I posted. It looks like el refugio was right when he said the program would tell you xD
Yeah I heard some character's have a very small palette. I usually index at about 100 colors and works for most characters. But I'm glad you got it to work^^

IC3R

Smash Lord
I think there may be some odd proportion of the portrait size and the number of colors allowed. My peach5_big and sonic3_big were pretty up-close shots.

Larger size = less colors?

Yeah, Dragonrage, we're using two different programs, so of course some stuff will work for you right off the bat xD

Gords

Smash Champion
ok so i go to index and change it too 72 and convert, then it shows the dot next to index instead of RGB.
however i save it, and it still shows the same message in step 2. i reopen the TGA and the dot is back near RGB and index is back to 255.

everytime i change and convert the TGA it wont save the new indexed settings.
is there a spefic way to keep the settings on?

thanks guys for all your help.

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
I think there may be some odd proportion of the portrait size and the number of colors allowed. My peach5_big and sonic3_big were pretty up-close shots.

Larger size = less colors?

Yeah, Dragonrage, we're using two different programs, so of course some stuff will work for you right off the bat xD
As I said I don't have much experience with GIMP, I only used once back when I didn't know how to do transparency with photoshop. Anyway the portraits should work the same way as other indexed textures (+1/+2) which means that the max. number of colors allowed depends on the original image. If the original portrait for example had a pallete of 150 colors you can't exceed that.

IC3R

Smash Lord
ok so i go to index and change it too 72 and convert, then it shows the dot next to index instead of RGB.
however i save it, and it still shows the same message in step 2. i reopen the TGA and the dot is back near RGB and index is back to 255.

everytime i change and convert the TGA it wont save the new indexed settings.
is there a spefic way to keep the settings on?

thanks guys for all your help.
Yeah, it does the same thing with me, but it does save, sort of...

When you run "step2_create", it will work. And if it's still too much, then go back in and re-index it with less colors. Repeat the process until it works, but 72 should work just fine...

CheDDar-X

Smash Apprentice
UGH!

Paint.Net is the best program to use for texture editing, not GIMP or Photoshop.

With Paint.Net you don't have to index anything, all you have to do is edit the image, save as a .tga and check the 32 bit option when prompted.

CheDDar-X

Smash Apprentice
It shouldn't but its better to go with as many colors as possible. So yeah, go for GIMP.
It's free, and you don't have to change the number of colors, high quality images with lots of colors work fine. It's so easy, that I find it pathetic people are still using Gimp and Photoshop.

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
It's free, and you don't have to change the number of colors, high quality images with lots of colors work fine. It's so easy, that I find it pathetic people are still using Gimp and Photoshop.
Yes Paint.NET is a good program, but it's not that you don't have to index. Paint.NET cannot index. You apperantly haven't edited a +1 or +2 texture so far, these have to be indexed, that's not a photoshop or gimp issue it's a requirement for them to work ingame.
Same goes for every CSP or battle portrait.

I just tested it myself CSP/battle portraits edited with Paint.Net won't be accepted by ASH for the very reason that they don't have a palette.

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
I didn't meant to bash Paint.NET it still is a good program free and easy to use, especially if you're omly doing character textures. Only a small part of them have to be indexed. I know for a fact that some people on the kitty corp boards who are not into creating CSPs still use it. You just have to index the pictures with GIMP or photoshop if needed.

RoyMaster4

Smash Apprentice
Ok, did my research on Item and Stage textures.

Marvin said:
So it is with ASH, I made the textures of items.
Is obtained. Pac's item. And unpack your content with ASH, posteriormete modify and re-pack everything with ASH as any other character.

As for starges I have not done since that takes a few steps longer and more difficult to unpack and rempaque manually with a hex editor, and it is not possible with ASH.
Dchen said:
Well you have to put the file in SSBExtract and then get a .bin file out of it…it’s going to be the largest .bin file in the folder…then you put that on lz77ex so then you’ll have a .bin.out….you can put that file on ASH…This is for Stage Textures…..I myself have not tried Item Textures but it involves the same aspects….
Luckily, I have a Brawl .iso and can obtain the .pac's I need.

CheDDar-X

Smash Apprentice
Yes Paint.NET is a good program, but it's not that you don't have to index. Paint.NET cannot index. You apperantly haven't edited a +1 or +2 texture so far, these have to be indexed, that's not a photoshop or gimp issue it's a requirement for them to work ingame.
Same goes for every CSP or battle portrait.

I just tested it myself CSP/battle portraits edited with Paint.Net won't be accepted by ASH for the very reason that they don't have a palette.
CSPs wont work, but +1 and +2's work fine, I've edited all those types before.

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
FACEPALM.

You don't have to index with Paint.Net, it "does that for you."
Don't double post, use the edit button.
*FacePalms*

I don't even get why you're getting so hostile about Paint.Net, Photoshop, Gimp, ETC.
Seriously, seems like your some sort of geek that has nothing more but computer in his life. I don't want to be offensive, but you really seem like that. You can't say that I'm really flaming you, you've called everyone here "pathetic".

*Sigh*

CheDDar-X

Smash Apprentice
Facepalm, you should shut up already. You want higher resolution if possible. IE, use GIMP!

And I'm gonna re-make this guide, I'll request this one locked likely when I make another really in depth one.
Wow, you just don't get it.

You can have all the high resolution, all that, everything, all you have to do is save. All of it works.

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
illinialex24:
Please, remove ASH and CUPASH in the first page.
They contain ilegal software and data, and as the creator I don't want my programs to be shared like this.
If you want to post ntcompress, texconv, PAC/PCS and other ilegal files it's not my problem, but please do it separately.

Also, your guide is wrong. You are not forced to use 72 colours as maximum in ASH or CUPASH. In most of cases, you can use 240 or 256 colours, if it needs a smaller palette then ASH will tell you the maximum of colours you can use in that texture.
I will quote this message until someone reads it.

Gords

Smash Champion
ok still cant get the portaits to work.

I need to change the common5_en.pac file to common5.pac dont i and
i need to change the InfFace.406.brres file to InfFace406.brres right?
both of these i have done.

I have tried putting the menu, info and system folder and their contents, that were produced by step2, into the private/wii/app/RSBE/pf/<folders>.
I have also tried to leave these folders in the directory of the SD card.
Note I am using the file replacement code v2.0 (the latest code) and only one code set under 256 lines which is loaded by geckoOS.

in terms of the indexed issue, no matter how low i set the index value step2 still comes up with the same message as before which is
"big toonlink6 does not have an indexed palette.
It will be ignored.
press any key to continue."

am i doing everything right here or have i skiped something?

also when i press any key to continue after it says the message about the indexing it will still produce the info, systems and menu folder. i put these files in the main directory of the SD card it will freeze when i select brawl and will not continue on to the character select as it should. the menu music sill continues to play though.

what could be causing this issue?

thanks

RoyMaster4

Smash Apprentice
Can anyone try making item textures in Ash? (I'd really like to see if the file with all the normal items works, but Assist Trophies would be fine too)

And also, can someone try putting a stage file in SSBExtract, taking the largest .bin file in the folder and putting it in lz77ex, then try putting that through Ash?

I would try, but I can't until tommorrow night.

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
Trust me, I have done them manually. They say the max is 240 in most cases but they don't work.

Large CSP's: 72
Textures: 72
Small CSP's: 32

And you avoid all glitches with the code writing.
First of all, I was quoting myself because it seems that you keep ignoring my messages about your ilegal files. You are distributing ASH with illegal software, and I don't want my program to be shared like this. Please remove the illegal software from the ZIP containing ASH and CUPASH.
Don't PM me because you don't believe I'm ASH creator. Please enter the Pharrox's texture hacking topic and read the messages. And even if I were not the real one you are still distributing illegal software, my identity doesn't change anything.
No, I won't PM you on ElOtroLado. No, I won't post there for you, I hate fighting in stupid kiddie battles. Anyone here that is inside the texture hacking can prove my identity.
For now, I stop development on Stage Editor ASH until you start sharing ASH and CUPASH in a legal way. It seems that you don't understand that you are putting me in trouble (oh, and Smash Boards too).
Thanks for understanding.

Second... I know how my program works. If your image is using too much colors it will give you an error telling you the maximum colors you can use in that texture. If you use always 72 colors you will be losing a lot of quality unnecesarily, because most of the textures use more than 150 colors (exceptions are eyes, iris, and other less important textures...).
On the other hand, CUPASH can give you two different errors: the same that ASH can give you or another that tells you to reduce the palette (even if you are not using more colors than the maximum allowed). This is because there are some limitations on the compression method. In this case it's good to use 72 colors (and maybe it can still give you errors, so you must reduce the palette even more).

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Can anyone try making item textures in Ash? (I'd really like to see if the file with all the normal items works, but Assist Trophies would be fine too)

And also, can someone try putting a stage file in SSBExtract, taking the largest .bin file in the folder and putting it in lz77ex, then try putting that through Ash?

I would try, but I can't until tommorrow night.
I can see if I know what to do.

First of all, I was quoting myself because it seems that you keep ignoring my messages about your ilegal files. You are distributing ASH with illegal software, and I don't want my program to be shared like this. Please remove the illegal software from the ZIP containing ASH and CUPASH.
Don't PM me because you don't believe I'm ASH creator. Please enter the Pharrox's texture hacking topic and read the messages. And even if I were not the real one you are still distributing illegal software, my identity doesn't change anything.
No, I won't PM you on ElOtroLado. No, I won't post there for you, I hate fighting in stupid kiddie battles. Anyone here that is inside the texture hacking can prove my identity.
For now, I stop development on Stage Editor ASH until you start sharing ASH and CUPASH in a legal way. It seems that you don't understand that you are putting me in trouble (oh, and Smash Boards too).
Thanks for understanding.

Second... I know how my program works. If your image is using too much colors it will give you an error telling you the maximum colors you can use in that texture. If you use always 72 colors you will be losing a lot of quality unnecesarily, because most of the textures use more than 150 colors (exceptions are eyes, iris, and other less important textures...).
On the other hand, CUPASH can give you two different errors: the same that ASH can give you or another that tells you to reduce the palette (even if you are not using more colors than the maximum allowed). This is because there are some limitations on the compression method. In this case it's good to use 72 colors (and maybe it can still give you errors, so you must reduce the palette even more).
Yeah your right on the textures, but as far as CSP's, you want 72 for large and 32 for small.

I have experimented mainly with CSP's and I have done a few hundred and found 72 and 32 to be best by far. And I know you were quoting yourself, your namesake doesn't mean anything unless you

A) PM me on the other website, or give me someone to ask because I need to know if it is you. If it is, I will remove the links immediately and then PM someone else. I know your name is correct, everywhere I have checked has credited your name. But just because the name is correct does not mean you are him. If it is illegal, I expect SWF to lock this thread. Just please know I am not against you but I wanna make sure before I make any quick decisions because this is helping many others. What exactly illegal software am I distributing with ASH and why is it illegal??

el_refugio

Smash Apprentice
Ok I just talked to Picano who said that because of some stuff it is illegal.

I am removing the link and you need to get ntcompress/ texconv on your own.
Thank you :)
You have legal copies of ASH and CUPASH here:
ASH - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OW1W6EG3
CUPASH - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q0FA3PA4
You must only place texconv and ntcompress in the same directory and your tutorial will still be valid. But it would be good to edit that 72 color limit, because it doesn't make sense. Follow the readme file and it will tell you what textures must use an indexed palette (the ones that end in +1 or +2). Saving every texture and then running step 2 until you get an error is not a good process, it's better to know why it's giving you that error and how to fix it before running step 2.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Ok sounds cool. I'm actually gonna be making an in depth tutorial just for here so I'm gonna request this one locked or edit it drastically soon. Thanks for the links.

So wait, if I provide download links for just textconv and ntcompress but not in the same folder its legal??

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
Thing with ntcompress and texconv is that they're part of the wii system developement kit, which technically makes sharing them as illegal as sharing isos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom