• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 14 - This is Snake, I'm done here

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Voter Update

Eligible Voters: BridgesWithTurtles, Chris Sifnoitis, Getocoolaid, Conren, TheKalmarKing, JOE!, FrozenRoy, APC99, Smash Daddy, darth_meanie, UserShadow, Katapultar, MasterWarlord, Junahu, ForwardArrow

Voted:
FrozenRoy
ForwardArrow
Smash Daddy
JOE!
Getocoolaid
Conren
UserShadow7989

n88

Smash Lord
-Ongoing Marvel Project Link-Up Space-
-Some areas subject to change-
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
Spider-Man
IX
X
XI
Ultron

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
._. I wish I can make flashy posts. ._.

Anyway, all this talk about future sets has got me all excited to spam the thread with my own projects. :grin:
Since Brawl and Flash 2 I have been a bit of a believer of a syncretism of games - 'syncretism' is a theological term meaning the melding of different and often contradictory beliefs and the melding of schools of thought. I can't think of a better way to test the notion of a gaming syncretism than in a fighting game; "Who'd win in a fight?" A basic question with infinite variables. Below are a number of characters that I am both constructing and for two to hopefully be rolled out by the start of MYM 15...
[collapse=A retro gamer's classic from iD. You know who the guy on the left is, I've prattled on about Commander Keen for a while now, so it shouldn't be any surprise that I'm sizing him up. It's the guy on the right who will also be joining him in a joint venture to both destroy the fighters, and the universe when he gets the time.]

The image is the title screen of the modding community's interpretation of the abandoned series of Keen games.[/collapse]
[collapse=In the past few months I've been working on a way to introduce a system of three different fighting styles for the Mii so as to discuss the plausibility of the Mii in the competitive nature of a game like Smash. Nearly complete in making three completely different movesets for the fight styles I won't reveal much apart from the names of these styles; Brawnii, Smashii and Speedii. Enjoy this random image!]

Image courtesy of this site.[/collapse]
[collapse=A mid to late 90's heroine with what currently looks like a vast set of ranged attacks and a Final Smash to rival Donkey Kong's]
Image courtesy of this site.[/collapse]

Conren

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Conren1
3DS FC
5086-4445-8944
My own personal project:

Last edited:

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Eligible Voters: BridgesWithTurtles, Chris Sifnoitis, Getocoolaid, Conren, TheKalmarKing, JOE!, FrozenRoy, APC99, Smash Daddy, darth_meanie, UserShadow, Katapultar, MasterWarlord, Junahu, ForwardArrow

Voted:
FrozenRoy
ForwardArrow
Smash Daddy
JOE!
Getocoolaid
Conren
UserShadow7989
TheKalmarKing
MasterWarlord

Not Voted:
darth_meanie
Junahu
Katapultar
BridgesWithTurtles
Chris Sifnoitis
APC99

Junahu

Smash Ace
Hopefully I've got this right, but it looks like the displayed avatars actually have a maximum size of 125x190. In honor of this wonderful little development, I've created avatar-frames for MYM15 just a little bit earlier than I usually do.

With the voting period nearing its end, it is time to look ahead to the next Make Your Move contest. Hopefully in the next MYM, we'll finally get our paws on the long awaited new Super Smash Bros games. Then we can complain about the inclusion of Super-Tripping, or whatever, and get right back to designing movesets.
In the meantime, here are some of my oh-so-traditional; Avatar frames.
In a nutshell, you stick a picture into the middle of one of these frames, and then use it as your avatar around Smashboards; displaying your love for this crazy community wherever you may post. As always, the avatars are entirely optional, so don't feel obligated to use an avatar frame if you're a stick-in-the-mud.

(the image will be displayed partially squashed in this forum, due to it being 800px wide. Save the original image first, so your avatar won't be all blurry and small)

Edit: It seems like 125x190 avatars aren't here to stay after all. Sorry :(

Last edited:

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Make Your Move 14 Voting Period has ended!​

Voted:
FrozenRoy
ForwardArrow
Smash Daddy
JOE!
Getocoolaid
Conren
UserShadow7989
TheKalmarKing
MasterWarlord
Chris Sifnoitis
darth_meanie
BridgesWithTurtles
Junahu

Not Voted:
Katapultar
APC99

Girls Leadership is preparing Top 50. Please wait warmly until it is ready.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
1) Sho Minamimoto by FrozenRoy
2) Bubble Witch Marin by UserShadow7989
3) Waluigi by Smash Daddy
4) Salvatore the Magnificent by Katapultar
5) Saber Alter by darth_meanie
6) Kudgel by MasterWarlord
7) Whiscash by BridgesWithTurtles
8) Remilia Scarlet by FrozenRoy
9) Vespiquen by Conren
10) Gluttony by MasterWarlord
11) Reisen Udongein Inaba by FrozenRoy
12) Mami Tomoe by darth_meanie
13) Megumi Kitaniji by FrozenRoy
14) Pinsir by JOE!
15) King Boo by Smash Daddy and JOE!
16) Koffing by Smash Daddy
17) Richter Belmont by Junahu
18) Carmilla by Junahu
19) Vyse by BridgesWithTurtles
20) Dark Falz by ForwardArrow
21) Spider-Man by JOE! and n88_2004
22) Croagunk by FrozenRoy
23) Lobo by darth_meanie
24) Ant Hill Mob by Big Mac
25) Bone Golem by Junahu
26) Ultron by n88_2004
27) Gyarados by DiamondFox
28) Ares TheKalmarKing
29) Rotom-F by Junahu
30) Kusumi-no-Okami by Junahu
31) Rain by Z1GMA
32) ChuChus by BridgesWithTurtles
33) Mace Windu by FrozenRoy
34) Jet the Hawk by BridgesWithTurtles
35) Magic Knight by Katapultar
36) Minami Iwasaki by Katapultar
37) Necrolyte by Smashbot226
38) Strider Hiryu by TWILTHERO
39) The Producer by UserShadow7989
40) Nitros Oxide by valve3
41) Nidorino by Junahu
42) Sir Daniel Fortesque by BridgesWithTurtles
43) Nisa by Katapultar
44) Little Nemo by peeup
45) The Six Samurai - Kamon by FrozenRoy
46) Shadow the Hedgehog by Getocoolaid
47) Avalugg by ForwardArrow
48) Axel the Dark Hero by LycorisalKnight
49) TAC by Junahu
50) Water Dragon by Junahu​

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
Congratulations to Roy on his win! Sho is a very deserving set, and I hoped it would win from the day it was posted. Huge congratulations to UserShadow on Marin, the only set I would be okay with winning over Sho this contest, what a great couple sets.

I'm shocked and honored that I got third this contest with Waluigi. Thanks to everyone who supported the set! I'll be sure to add in extras and so on hopefully during next contest, to make it the crowning jewel of the Waluigi Support Thread. #YearOfWaluigi

Congratulations to Conren and Turtles for getting top ten, and for Turtles in his first contest, a huge achievement. May it be the first of many. Alter finally got DM into top five! Welcome to the club. And I can't ignore that Gluttony and Kudgel both got on too, which is well-deserved, if anything is totally wrong with the top ten it's that Gluttony isn't higher.

Well done in general, Roy, on a great contest and all these placings tell the whole story. Really a seminal contest for you, and one of the best in recent memory.

A shout-out as well to Kalmar and Geto for placing, 28th isn't bad for your first contest. It just so happens Turtles and Conren put out some wildly-popular sets in their first contest, so don't lose heart Kalmar, you should be proud.

Wish Mob and Carmilla were higher up, and Dark Falz too for that matter, but nonetheless, a memorable top fifty.

Thanks to everyone who voted! Here's to an even better Make Your Move 15.

Last edited:

JOE!

Smash Hero
Congrats to everyone for an excellent MYM!

But, as we look to the future, I may as well drop a hint towards my next venture in movesetting....

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513

So, yeah, I ended up winning...don't think anyone saw that coming before this contest! Sho was a set that was made in 2-3 days without a lot of forethought, so I'm really happy it turned out to be my best set, especially since Sho is a character I quite enjoy...even if I've never actually played The World Ends With You. Needless to say, I'm quite pleased with myself, though everyone seemed to think Sho would win for quite a while, so it isn't too surprising. In some ways, Remilia @ 8th feels almost more pleasing, probably because I felt like it was really good but that it wasn't as appreciated as Reisen or Kitaniji. To my surprise, Remilia moved on up to 8th with a strong late push and gave me my first multi-Top 10 contest! As a set I'm quite proud of, it getting so high and the positioning it did was exquisite. Reisen and Kitaniji rounding out at 11th and 13th also were great: It was a contest of mine I was very fond of and I am glad everyone else liked it too. Croagunk 18th (Er, 22nd), Mace Windu 33rd and even Kamon 45th also felt rewarding, giving me 7 of the Top 50. I sincerely thank everyone who enjoyed my sets and hope that I can continue to produce sets that are found enjoyable.

But this contest was far from all about me: UserShadow's production of Marin made an excellent and beloved set that would be a serious contender in any contest. I wouldn't have minded losing to it, I can say that much. UserShadow's continued existance/resurgance is one of the better storylines of the contest and I certainly hope to see you stick around. While Marin 2nd was more predictable, Waluigi 3rd was something nobody really saw coming I think, so Smash Daddy is rollin' in his dubillac all the way to that place. #YearOfWaluigi

Salvatore 4th was quite pleasant, matching Luxord's MYM12 4th placing with a set I hear Katapultar is very fond of, and Saber Alter 5th is obviously very pleasing for darth_meanie, finally letting him break into the Top 5 with a set I feel very much deserved it! Kudgel 6 and Gluttony 10 also are good to see, with MasterWarlord continuing to Top 10. But Whiscash 7th, which stayed strong all through voting, requires a special congratulations due to this being his first contest, even beating my 10th place Rattata! Keep strong and push on, because your future is bright! Conren broke out with Vespiquen and was rewarded with a top 10, something I very much enjoy, and I hope he can continue the breakout next contest!

Junahu may have missed Top 10, but Richter 17 and Carmillia's placings ain't bad and he got a lot of sets on here, so congrats to him. Particular happiness to Kusumi-no-Okami for placing 30: It was experimental, but fun. Ares' 28th gives Kalmar a good placing on his first contest, so he has a nice and bright future! Mami's 12th placing is a pleasing sight to see to me and I am sure DM's happy with it too. Z1GMA also got his first placing with Rain (crashing down)! I hope he'll continue to make sets in the future. Congrats to the rest of Turtles' contest too: I felt it was very strong and the showings from Jet, Vyse, ChuChus and Sir Dan were good! Vyse in particular was great, as it felt underappreciated...but ended up doin' great! FA may not have had a great contest, but Falz placed fairly well.

Finally, congrats to peeup, Getocoolaid, n88, Twilt and Smashbot for placing!

Last edited:

UserShadow7989

Smash Journeyman
Just wanted to drop in and say congrats to everyone who placed. Kudos especially to FrozenRoy for his 1st place victory and multi-top 10. I also wanted to thank everyone who voted for my sets, putting Marin in 2nd and The Producer in 39th. With the former bring the result of months of work, I'm happy to know the effort shined through, and the latter's placement surprised me as a 1 day set that was admittedly made just to have something more this contest.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Sho and Marin competing for top place? You could've had both!
A brilliant end to a brilliant contest. Before I talk about myself, let me just take a moment to congratulate everyone on their placement. Whether you placed first or fiftieth, give yourself a pat on the back. It's hard enough to take the time to balance life with an active presence on Smashboards, but going the extra mile to contribute a well though-out piece of literature - yes, that's what Make Your Movesets are - to a small community such as this deserves applause all on its own. Special congrats go out to DM for achieving his goal of placing in the top 5. Saber was a moveset that I didn't Super Vote, but it was definitely deserving of its title if so many others thought that highly of it. Kudos to you for that. Also, a big congrats to Froy for placing first, and with a character from a game he's never played, no less. I'm sure we all saw Sho's coronation as king of this contest coming, and we had every reason to. Good luck on maintaining this wave of momentum with your ambitious plans for next contest.

Congratulations to all others who placed, particularly those in the top 10. It's hard to argue with these results, and I believe that this top 10 is strong enough to rival that of past contests. Special mention to Z1GMA for placing with Rain. Rain is a set I personally voted for, and the sort of simple yet creative ideas present in the moveset are something I'd like to see more of from you. MYM15's the perfect time to show us what you can do.

Maybe it's just the newbie in me, but I really enjoyed much of the content put out this contest, and I believe this contest, while admittedly long and interspersed with periodic phases of inactivity, had quite a few great ideas at play. It's hard to believe that it's been almost 9 months since I first joined the contest. Coming in without the comfort of friends around me and really little idea about how the contest itself operated, I really took a dive with ChuChus. Not only was the set based on a "character" practically no one knows, let alone cares about, it was also overly ambitious in its aim to create a unique playstyle, which came around to ruin the set's response for many after realizing its intricate faults. Still, for my first moveset, I am happy it is still generally liked, and the fact that it placed fills me with much joy. ChuChus is a set I hold dear in my heart. For anyone who may never grasp my name, I would be honored to be addressed simply as "the ChuChus guy".

Whiscash, probably my runaway hit set, placing 7th is a surprise to me, and one I am grateful to see. It was definitely a challenging experience to write, and I put a very long time into it, so it's rewarding to see the fruits of my labor bloom. Thanks to everyone who helped me trudge through this muddy chore of a set. If Whiscash's top 10 placing weren't enough, seeing all of my other sets (sans Zoboomafoo) place has made me practically giddy. I may not be all too emotive in my writing, but you can only imagine the joy I feel in my heart right now.

While I may have claimed to have "disowned" Vyse in the past, I've realized since then that it's far too soon to do something so drastic. A better way to describe my feelings for the set now would be that I'm not looking to make another set like it anytime soon. Still, to see it place relatively high on the list, I must admit that while I was doubtful that Froy's fervent praise of the set would do little good in helping it place, I am convinced that that man can truly make anything happen, and I thank him for his undying support for the set.

Jet placing was something I expected, and also as I expected, he placed just about where I expected him to. The set exhibits a few ideas I'd like to explore in the future. In fact, I think it's safe to expect something quite like Jet in MYM15, but don't get too excited yet. Glad the set has some sort of support base, since it seemed to have fell on deaf ears.

It was a bit surprising to see Sir Daniel place. Actually, I'm pretty proud of the set myself (and pride is something I tend to avoid like the plague), and it's probably my favorite of my sets after Whiscash, so I'm a bit disappointed it didn't do better. Still, as with Jet, Sir Daniel got hardly any response, so I'm glad that enough people noticed it to vote it. Better to place lower than hoped than not place at all.

Thanks and love to everyone who not only congratulated me for my placing, but also everyone who helped me when I needed it during my first contest. Whether through taking the time to preview, giving advice and criticism, or simply providing a warm and friendly environment without which I would have left long ago, your time and consideration has taken me farther than I could have imagined. As a newcomer, I felt very welcomed to this community by just about everyone, and my greatest hope for MYM15 is to have even more fresh minds join the pool. See you all next contest. For now, I must rest and return to my home planet.

But not before a little preview of some things to come.​

TheKalmarKing

Smash Apprentice
First, congratulations to all the MYMers who placed Top 10! Froy got a well-deserved win, MW proved he was still a force to be reckoned with, Conren and UserShadow both placed with incredibly popular sets, and Turtles totally powned the other newcomers (such as me :p ). Now I don't actually mind losing to Whiscash, which is a solid set; I even supervoted it, because it really deserved a good spot on this Top 50. There's also Vyse, which I didn't like as much, bu I know it was rather popular, so kudos to you!

For the other MYMers, I'd like to give a shout-out to Nate, because I really liked Ultron and Spiderman foreshadows, in my opinion, some top-notch Marvel sets. I'm really excited for your next collaboration with Joe! Speaking of which, the Joe/Smady duo was also pretty great with that King Boo. I think that almost everybody knows it was one of my super-votes :p I also hope that peeup will come back for more sets, since I found Little Nemo rather promising. Speaking of newcomers, I hope Zigma and APC will come back and improve; I'm sure you could make some really good sets guys!

On Ares placing 28th, I'm of course very proud about it. About Bad Girl and Jinbe, I'll keep all the criticism in my head and I think I will remake them later, when I'll have more experience. I think it could be an interesting experience... For MYM 15, I will try to rank in the Top 20 at least, and perhaps in the Top 10? My plans for MYM 15 are, without revealing too much, making a Naruto antagonist set, a Dead Rising/Castlevania boss and finally a JoJo set. It's still subject to change though, and I promised to Kholdstare I'd make a Megaman set a long time ago, so we'll see what happens! I don't think I'll have a set ready for MYM 15's opening, but I'll try to make one for the first week. I'd really like to make more than 3 sets this time (Yeah, I made Beelzebub for Halloween, but it was universally ignored/forgotten except by Smady and it's perhaps for the better...), I aim for at least 5 sets.

To conclude this post, I'll wish everybody who participated an excellent MYM 15! :)

Junahu

Smash Ace
Easy come, easy go. Looks like the avatars have shrunk back down to 125x125. My apologies to everyone who now has chopped-in-half avatars. I will try to shrink the frames to fit the limitations.
Edit: Here's a version of the frames, shrunken to fit 125x125 avatars.

Oh yeah, and Top50 happened almost instantaneously this time. Nice

Last edited:

n88

Smash Lord
Nice turnaround on the Top 50! Glad we got to see it so soon. A few people have already gone on at length, so I'll try to keep my thoughts concise: congrats to Froy for taking top honors and having a very strong contest overall; congrats to the new guys who made it up there (Kalmar, Z1GMA, Bridges); congrats to Conren for landing a Top 10 finish and DM for finally nailing that Top 5. Also glad to see Smashbot jump into the Top 50 at the last minute, peeup land a set, and (most selfishly) a couple of my sets make it up there after I basically took MYM13 off. Maybe most importantly, it's great to see some growth in the voter list. Hopefully we can keep that up (and I can get in on it) in MYM15.

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
Oh wow, pleasantly surprised to see Strider Hiryu place 38. Special thanks to those who voted for him. :)

Congrats to all the other winners too of course. Very nice job on Sho, Froy! He was one of my favorite sets to read in a long time.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Darn it, I forgot to vote! I was sick all week, and I ruined it!

I do have one question, though.

Were my sets even voted for? At all?

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
3 votes for me in total...

a majority being weak votes...

at least I got some votes. I'll try better next time!

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Make Your Move 15 will begin on January 13th! Get ready!

And in addition...

The voting values, starting next contest, will be changing!

Super Votes will now be worth 9 points, Regular Votes will be worth 5 points and Weak Votes will be worth 2 points.

This decsision was made for a few reasons, but most prominent was the idea that WVs were too strong (For example, 2 RV 4 WV seemed to beat 4 RV 1 WV) and were almost just like RVs, so WVs were weakened. Other systems were tried, such as 3-2-1, but it we found having vote values that so easily made each other created far too many ties. We decided not to implement it this contest because it would be hellaciously unfair to change voting values before voting period (This idea was proposed and made before voting period).

JOE!

Smash Hero
Actually, just musing here: but how would it have been unfair if the ratios were more or less the same?

Hmm, gonna edit in a revised version using the "new" values shortly, see what comes up.

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
Right on, Steve was last! :joyful:
Congrats to everyone who got in the top fifty; FrozenRoy,MasterWarlord and the rest of the top ten winners especially.

On the vaules, I like the changes. I'd say consider sticking to prime numbers - 9 is alright for the top vote, it means that one normal and two small votes equal one top vote and two normal votes are more valuable than one top vote. If the top value was 11 it would require one extra small vote to equalize and makes the top vote more valuable.

Conren

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Conren1
3DS FC
5086-4445-8944
Why these numbers?
Well, with the current vote values, there are at least 31 tie combinations (I may have missed a few) that use no more than 5 of each type of vote. Whereas with Jun's proposed values, there are only two ties (2SV = 2RV 3WV and 3SV = 5RV 1WV). The only issue with these values however, is that it may not make weak votes as weak as desired.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Though it was a long contest, the Top 50 was well worth the wait (Especially for me). Here's a complementary Character Select Screen to go with it:

You can also view a crazier, over-sized Sho/Boss-loving version of the Select Screen by clicking on the image.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I will definitely participate in the next MYM. Let's see how good I am. I plan on doing two movesets, one for a Pokémon I really like and one for a certain plant.

Junahu

Smash Ace
Well, with the current vote values, there are at least 31 tie combinations (I may have missed a few) that use no more than 5 of each type of vote. Whereas with Jun's proposed values, there are only two ties (2SV = 2RV 3WV and 3SV = 5RV 1WV). The only issue with these values however, is that it may not make weak votes as weak as desired.
It was my explicit intent to avoid undervalueing weak votes. I feel that two Weakvotes should equal more than one Regularvote, not less. And needing to amass 5 Weakvotes just to beat the whims of a single Supervote is ludicrous.
Having 15 votes that are practically valueless is, in my opinion, harmful.

I calculated the values (13-7-4) to solve the problem case that FrozenRoy stated earlier (2 RV + 4 WV > 4 RV + 1 WV), without upsetting anything else about how the vote tiers stack up.
I also suggested an alternate spread of 26(SV)-14(RV)-9(wv). This alternate, in addition to solving the afformentioned problem case, also keeps the dynamic of 3 WVs beating a single SV.

The entire issue was discussed over Skype, and it appears that my suggestions will be taken into consideration after the end of the next MYM (so, next year I guess). In the meantime MYM will use the announced values and 'see what happens'.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
We will indeed be maintaining the 9-5-2 system and re-evaluate both systems at the end of next contest. There was discussion on the vote values and ultimately there was good support and argument for both sides, with some split on exactly how weak WVs should be. We want to see how 9-5-2 does and then we'll make sure we want to head in that direction or go to 13-7-4 or even another system.

Smady

Smash Master
That'll do, guys. Make Your Move 15 will be up soon, and this thread will remain open as long as no one else posts in it. Thanks to everyone who participated.

Top Bottom