• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make my Kong better XD

HeavyHands

Smash Rookie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bs6fFLxu2k

Hey guys. Im HeavyHands from Central FL. I been around for a while just never really posted, so when someone recorded one of my matches vs Renth at the Last Gigs in Orlando I decided to post it up here and maybe get some pointers. I love my main Kong and been playing him for about 3 years. So.....ya, have at it XD

BTW Renth your friggin beast son >.<

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
what's w/ the random side-b's and dairs? o.o... lol. im also not too sure about using dk's jab much at all... it isn't very good.... idk lol.
you should probably work on your dash dance game, esp. against ganon. ganon's fair/bair are really good so you have to space him out well. it's a dumb match-up -.-
spamming bair is good and all but you should be spacing them so your opponent can't just hit you in between them.
you also seem to try to cargo u-throw -> u-air -> u-air from 0, which doesn't work on anyone. you kept getting hit out of it most of the time but you kept doing it.... usually i u-throw -> up-b or bair to put space between me and my opponent so they can't punish. just find something that works for you.
you should try using up-b out of shield sometimes. ganon just stood behind your shield one time and jabbed it over and over... even though his jab is fast, it does have some ending lag, and dk's up-b hits on frame 3, so w/ a jump cancel that's 4 frames. ganon's jab has 14 frames of ending lag so it should work fine, and since ganon is the tallest character you should be able to hit him.
if you're going to try to upthrow -> fair, do a full jump in the cargo first and then a double jump. the 5 or so frames it takes to jump from the ground is enough to let your opponent get out.

idk why you cp'd to mute city against ganon, the lack of ledges is really bad for DK despite the ground hitting him up, and the blastzones are far away which help ganon survive & recover w/ his down b. I'm not certain where I'd take a ganon.... probably Brinstar. I dunno, I'm really bad against Ganon, so whatever.

also, work on your DI a bit.... you should be surviving longer with DK's weight. that up-b probably shouldn't have killed you on mute city, and the fair near the end of the first match had some weak DI. :p

your dk's pretty good though =D **** them!

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Cargo Up throw, SHFF Uair, Full Jump Uair, falling Uair again (don't double jump) and keep going from there.

I didn't see the video yet, I merely read some of what Strong Bad said.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
shff uair -> full jump u-air doesn't work because ganondorf doesn't get knocked over by u-air until around 20-25% and thus can jump out just a bit after the u-air hits. other chars are similar.
neither would full hop double u-air unless your opponent doesn't know what DI is.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Nevertheless, you are a terrible player.
wow.
at least I'm not a complete douchebag, wtf.
and don't try uthrow fulljump double u-air..... that **** doesn't even combo in training mode, let alone against real people.

but infernape is awesome

Renth

Smash Hero
wow.
and don't try uthrow fulljump double u-air..... that **** doesn't even combo in training mode, let alone against real people.

but infernape is awesome
You're failing on epic porportions. You're arguing with the legendary "NJsFinest" what are you thinking!? It's like trying to convince a bear not to eat small animals. Mr. bear... "rahhh!" that's not very... "rips your face off."

TresChikon

Smash Lord
That's preposterous, bears would gladly choose a person over a small animal.

The match up is better, people aren't as quick as woodland furries.

Renth

Smash Hero
That's preposterous, bears would gladly choose a person over a small animal.

The match up is better, people aren't as quick as woodland furries.
I agree, but we aren't comparing match ups. It's just trying to talk a bear out of eating an animal after the catch.

--please get back on topic i'm sure heavy hands would appreciate some real critques.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
At 3:03 wouldn't an edgehop fair or dair-> bair have been a good way to take the stock instead of rolling and going from there?

Renth

Smash Hero
At 3:03 wouldn't an edgehop fair or dair-> bair have been a good way to take the stock instead of rolling and going from there?
yes, ledge hop aerials or even a ledge hop ~> grab would've been really good. I'm sure there was a degree of tournament nervousness and a little sloppy play in these vids.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
wow.
Lol, notice how all I did was re-word what you said to me? Apparently if you say something like that about other people, it's cool. But if you say it to Strong Bad, then you're a douchebag.
Oh well, at least when I said it, I wasn't lying <3
k...

Well, that's not even the combo I mentioned... I said SHFF Uair to Full Jump Uair (after the Cargo Up Throw).

I learned it from playing Bum and seen PKM and Mexican do it. I then started doing it myself and I have yet to have problems with it. The 2nd Uair after the Full Jump Uair isn't guaranteed, however.
but infernape is awesome
Yes, it's my favorite sweeper <3

Also, lmao @ Renth xD

HeavyHands

Smash Rookie
My lord what have I started >.<

But ya good times Renth XD
And thanks for some of the info StrongBad, took Dair out completely, already doin better

And the Side B's were mistakes I promise >.<

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
PKM is a veteran DK player, it's better to listen to him.
i seriously hope "the best ganon player in the world is terrible" was a pretty big clue that I was joking.

but yeah... it shouldn't work from 0% or until around.... 19% (with a uthrow of course) based on the fact that like every character doesn't get knocked over by uair until 25%+ damage.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
what exactly did that have to do with the current discussion?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
A lot. The result of uairing ganon is that he's above you. Eventually he has to come down. Usually he'll falling bair or something as he descends. So oftentimes he doesn't expect you to just up-b him as he's landing on you.

My mind wandered and I didn't explain how it was relevant. >_>

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Linguini has broken my attempted double uairs enough times for me to stop trying them. Maybe my timing is off?
If he's attacking you out of it every time (not sure if thats what you mean by he's broken your double u air attempts), then just do what i do, sh like you're going to attack, but just fast fall back down, when his u air (which i THINK is ganon's best choice for breaking out of the combo) is finished, grab or u air him, depending on how close or far he is to the ground...I've had the same problems with some pretty good ganon players, but i just compensate the best i can with mindgames. lol

Top Bottom