• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Maining characters because of Fanboy/girlism or playstyle in Brawl?

ValiantVernon

Smash Journeyman
man im going on almost all emotional attachment lol due to the fact i love Zelda games and Link thats y i played him in the first one and thats y im gonna play him in Brawl : ) but i also go for the best for me like in Smash Melee i played link and sheik main depending on the char i had to face although sheik was more like my really good secondary!
Now im seriously thinking of switching to Sonic cause he looks good and i like him but we will see, now if Geno got in by some miracle of god then i would main him no matter what he could suck extremely bad and i would still take him to tourneys for the awesomeness of him in general but Link in both situations would definitly be a secondary =)!!!!

metayoshi

Smash Cadet
I've mained Yoshi since Smash Bros. 64, but now that Meta Knight is in the game (I always thought Meta Knight was cool ever since Kirby Super Star) I think I'll main him as much as Yoshi. Unfortunately, he is one of the characters labeled as "cheap", but I would have mained him either way due to my fanboyism.

qaz

Smash Rookie
Well my main is Samus (incase u didn't guess from my avatar&sig) in brawl I'll still choice her over Zamus because she can turn into Zamus after her FinalSmash & i think i'll like Samus better any way
- oh not rly sure why i like Samus, just because she looks cool & i play well with her i guess

Also IF megaman is in i may decide to play him a lot as well, so it'll be close

Zallipus

Smash Cadet
I pretty much main characters that I really like, rather than their playstyle. It just makes the game more fun for me. In Brawl's case, I'll main Pokemon Trainer because I really like Squirtle. With any luck, I'll be able to main Mega Man, if he makes it in.

ripman3

Smash Journeyman
Good thread,

1. I'm maining Metaknight a) cause hes awesome and b) cause i loved playing him in Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland
I'm also playing as Pok'emon Trainer cause i'm still a pok'emon fanboy at heart.

2. If Spider-man makes it into the game by some huge dimensional vortex twist of fate, i will main him.

also, if toad is in the game and makes the same crazy laughing noises he made in mario kart double dash when he got his golden mushroom:

"AAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHA!!!!"

Then i will play him because him jacking up that mushroom and laughing maniacally makes me laugh so hard.

RikyuXz

Smash Cadet
k in ssb64, i was alot younger (like 6-8) and so i chose yoshi cuz i loved playing yoshi's story with my friends. and so since i was still a kid, i tried to look for a cheap move i could spam and i came up with his down b. (his butt-slamm)

When melee came around i tried using yoshi again but the down b was getting boring and my friends were getting pissed off. ANd so i saw young link and i was like OMG THATS AWESOME. and so i did the same thing (finding cheap move) and i came up with dair. and so over the years i noticed my friend's were catching on to my dair and i started to suck baddly. so i found these forums and saw the yl's (laijin, jash, chip to name a few) were frikin pro.. so i started reading up on how to get better and here i am.. a fully fledged yl main...

In brawl, yl might not be in and pit really caught my attention because he seems similar in some ways to yl.

so yeah... i spawned fanboyness by playing cheap in smash and the motivation to get better. (i know no one really cares but w/e lol :p)

Gennie

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'd be so maining Isaac from GS if he gets in just for fanboism, otherwise I'd main who I feel better playing with

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Bowser was my first main when Melee came out but it got a little redundant because he was so terrible. Back then, I was pretty darn concerned with being a good smasher, so I switched my main to Fox.

But since Bowser is back and better than ever, I think I'll be using him as my secondary!

Of course, I will still be playing Ice Climbers. Once again, I started using them for the sake of winning Melee tournaments... but I developed love for the two cute little kids in parkas as I kept using them, and even came up with philosophies like "Nana is the hottest/cutest female character in the game!"

However, I really think Peach got an upgrade in the looks department. She is sooo cute! You know, in every game I play I end up picking the cute girl. It might be a bit vain, but I find it an interesting trait of mine. In Tekken I play Xiaoyu, in SC I play Xianghua, in 3S I use Makoto and Ibuki, in MMOs I always use a blond girl and I always pick whichever class looks the cutest! Therefore, I will be playing Ice Climbers and Peach.

Zelda and Samus also.

Also, I'll still use Fox since I have been good with him since 64 smash. He's a cool character overall and I have a lot of sentimental feelings when I use him just because of history.

So there's an extensive explanation xDDD

I will use: Ice Climbers, Bowser, Fox, Peach, Zelda, Samus, and whatever other female characters pop up.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I put the ones im thinking about using in my sig, it could always change easily though.

Grimwolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grimwolff
I would main Crono from Chrono Trigger if he was in because it is my fav game of all time.
Also if Wolf is in, I might main him because I always thought he was a badass in Star Fox 64.

Anyway out of the current roster I will main Link and Fox hands down. I have mained them in both the previous smash games. The Legend of Zelda for NES was the 2nd video game I ever played (after Super Mario Bros.) When I was young I used to make believe I was Link. As for Fox, Star Fox 64 was one of my fav games of all time and the fox is my fav animal and I always liked the character.

Luigi player

Smash Master
My favourite characters (that are in Brawl and/or Melee) are: Sonic, Luigi, Diddy Kong, Donkey Kong, Mewtwo, Mario, Yoshi, Wario...

In Melee I first played Mario, just because I mostly played Mario games and loved them, and so I liked Mario. After I unlocked Luigi I nearly always used him. Sometimes, but not often, DK, and very rarely Mario. When I got Mewtwo I used to play it sometimes... well, maybe often ^^ but it didn't even come near to my Luigi.. ^^ Luigi's my favourite character in Melee, but now.. since some months I started playing DK very often. I guess 5 times DK, 1 time a other character or something like that. Now Luigi is... a little boring /: I guess the whole game isn't what it used to be. It's still great, but the more I played it the more I don't want to play it. (well, I mostly play with my little brother and some computers, but if I play competitively I can't get enough Melee XD)

Anyway: Sonic is my favourite video game character :p so I'll use him in Brawl. Doesn't matter how bad he sucks (but it looks like he doesn't ^^).

My favourite list of all video game characters is probably like this:
Sonic, Knuckles, Luigi, Mario, Diddy, ...

I like Diddy very much because of DKC2. It is such an awesome game... (oh the memories... >_>)

So I'll use those characters very often because I like them. And because I like many characters, it's not very likely that all of them suck and that I can stick to at least one of them if I want to play competitively =)

Now there are characters like Falco... I never really played Star Fox games. (Well, some years ago I played Lylatwars on the N64 and beat it. Sometimes play against friends, and once I played Star Fox Assault (I think) with some friends, but I mostly liked Slippy ^^)
Anyway, I like Falcos playing style and his attacks, and that's because I play him very often.

Tiers don't really say who I'll play with.

It's more like this:
-> I like many character and play as them very often
-> I'll get good with the characters I play often...
-> I'll use the characters I'm very used to competitively

Now if they are VERY LOW tier, like Pichu, I'd probably won't use them often anyway... just because they suck so much. If Luigi wasn't my style and would hurt himself or something like that I probably wouldn't play as him very often... >_> Hmm... and I like Bowser, and use him sometimes, but only just for fun... I'm not really used to him and don't like him THAT much that I'll really use him... but if he'd be my favourite character or something, I'd still play as him and probably try him competitively ^^

And as you can see by my name I use mostly Luigi. Even competitively.
I just really like his personality (it's funny^^) and his playing style... I love how he slides so much.. lol.
I liked if even before I knew how to wavedash... I always ran to my enemies, and during the running i charged up a smash attack and slide to them and if they're in reach I hit them.

So one can probably say that, for me, the first and most important thing is that I like the character. The second important thing is his playing style and if he sucks or not...

Cynan Machae

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CynanMachae
For playstyle, played as Fox/Falco in melee, and probably will play again as them, and will still play Peach and try Sonic
Fanboyism: Samus/ZSS, Metaknight for sure, and Megaman if he's in.

Light-The-Archangel

Smash Cadet
I'll always stick with Falco. I took a strange intrest in his fighting style, and his behavior. He portrait my actions in a way.

TMS

Smash Journeyman
I'm maining Pokemon Trainer, Meta Knight and (most definitely) Sonic all because of fanboyism. I don't care if their bottom tier.

UsernameLink

Smash Journeyman
I mained link and kirby because there games were some of the first i ever played (and loved), guess i should include sonic in there too now

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's kind of weird to main someone just because you like the series tho, cuz they dont play like in the previous games, they just look the same, thats about it.

rockmace

Smash Apprentice
well, I agree a little-

it's a shame that someone uses a character only because it's good.
sure, do anything for money, similar to a ***** or a mercenarie, but if you want to show your skills you should use one character, especially the one you like.

yo need less than half the skill to use sheik , instead of bowser, then where's the skill on that?

anyway, Of course, as most Fanboys, I'll use Sonic -I'm buying this game only for him, unless megaman gets in -

but, for the symbolism around them, I use Bowser, and hopefully, Gannondorf. They're the opposites of Link and Mario, the main ones of my friend/rival.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
I'm maining Pit ever since I first saw the trailer. I had a feeling he would be in the next Smash since Melee, and when I saw how much cooler he looked, I knew I had to main him. And now his black costume makes me wat to main him even more.

Of course he's gonna drop down to my #2 if we get Geno. Just because SMRPG owned and so did Geno.

Not A Naruto Wannabe

Smash Apprentice
I have emotional connections to kirby, but they made him so bad in melee... Anyway less talk of melee. Fox exploitation leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I love the games of more than half of the characters and they look cool too. I think i will be playing every character at least once to get their feel. That being said, i will be playing meta knight FIRST because he looks cool and i like his games, so i guess fanboyism affects me some =p

ShoDan

Smash Apprentice
im a big samus fan, so i will play with samus if she is good or not

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Of course he's gonna drop down to my #2 if we get Geno. Just because SMRPG owned and so did Geno.
I was thinking about it.... and GENO is one of those characters that are old enough to separate some of the younger Nintendo generation players from the older ones. 1996 was MARIO RPG. That's over 10 years ago. So just something to think about... I'm pretty sure MALLOW has about as much of a chance as DAISY of getting in Brawl, but I'm all for GENO. I think it would be cool if one of his taunts involved him saying "My name is ... ♥♪!?" and "I serve... I higher authority."

What I love about the Smash series is that it creates an appreciation for the massive cast of characters that Nintendo (and apparently now third parties) have created. Kirby's cooking attack... Sonic's homing missile from his newer games... Mario’s F.L.U.D.D.(sunshine)... all his sounds from the classic jump to 64's various jumping sounds ... DK's BONGO ATTACK from DK64... Peaches vegetable attack and her floating ability from Mario 2... Even her FINAL SMASH is a tribute to her healing powers and sleepy time special from...MARIO RPG!!!

Dropping the trophies... I think it would be incredible to see how many games are connected to the smash series by characters special moves alone... then figure in stages... costumes... items... it's incredible. FEBRUARY 10th.........................

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Smash History-

In 64, I used Link. Of course, I didn't play Smash 64 that much because I was too busy playing Pokemon puzzle league against my little brothers! XD

When Melee came around, at noob levels, I played Young Link, Mewtwo, and Marth mostly. For the most part, I learned advance tech with MArth so I stuck with him for a while beofre going back to Young Link and Mwtwo. Back then, the Ice Climbers were one of my alts. I was trying to figure out how to get them to do to different things at once.

I then switched IC to my main after I learned spot-dodge desynch. After that desynch, alot of desynch knowledge came FLOODING in and I played IC obsessively, growing attached to their playstyle and how **** cute they are.

I then picked GaW up and had the time of my life playing him. He became one of my mains on the spot, dropping Mewtwo to Secondary status. I also had hella fun playing bowser too. He became one of my secondaries. Ness drew me in because he was weird and his DJC is HOT STUFF.

Planned mains(based on who's been revealed)-
Ice Climbers- Because I've grown attached to the cute little eskimos. Their playstyle is too **** fun and they're too cute.

Bowser- I had hella fun playing him in Melee although he's so bad!!

Lucas- assuming that he plays like Ness. DJC is too **** fun.

DK- One of my secondaries. in Melee. He's pretty awesome.

Pit- Kid Icarus is hella fun, albeit really freaking hard. Pit looks like Young Link + Float cancelling.

Most of my mains are due to playstyle. Of course, I've become an IC fanboy because of their playstyle.

Thedude3445

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna main Meta-Knight most likely, for Brawl, unless his pw3nage was just his n00b friendliness. And yes, it's because of fan-boyness.

I mained Mario in 64 because of fan-boyness, but Samus because of how well I played with her.

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
For me it will be a combination of who I like and playstyle.

I like Dedede, I like Heavies, he has a hammer, I like.

gigasteve

Smash Ace
Sonic and Meta Knight look really fun to play with, but I will probably stick with Samus. I have recently started playing with Marth in SSBM, but so far he isn't in Brawl.

lilparadise

Smash Apprentice
SSB64: Mario, kirby, and Fox.

SSBM: Bowser, Fox, C.falcon, Falco, Marth, Jigglypuff, Link, Peach, and Samus.

SSBB: Sonic, Pit, Wario, Mario, Sumas, Ike, Metaknight, Snake, Pokemon Trainer, and Link.

(A list of past, current and FUTURE mains.)

Kyouya

Smash Rookie
SSB64: C.Falcon, Fox, Pikachu
SSBM: C.Falcon, Fox, Marth
SSBB: C.Falcon, Fox, Sonic

I love fast characters!!!

Top Bottom