• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Main Overload Syndrome?

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I can't be the only one having a hard time settling on a main for this game. I had a similar problem with Smash 4 but it's just amplified itself this go round.

At first I was thinking Pokemon Trainer, which is already three mains in one. But I've loved almost all of the echo fighters that have been announced (being a fan of the underdog and all), and then Isabelle and Incineroar have appeared on my radar too, and that's not counting some of my previous mains I'm considering going back to like Snake and Duck Hunt. Not to mention I've got to pick someone from the original 8 to start with until I can get the rest unlocked.

The "filthy casual" in me couldn't be happier because of the endless matchups with friends, but I know I gotta find at least one or two and stick with them competitively. Does anybody have any advice?

Lexlanson

Smash Rookie
Ugh, I'm in the same boat. I'm trying to narrow it down to 3, but it's so hard when there's so many characters to choose from.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
I learned how to play as the entire Sm4sh roster thru Smash Run, but now that it’s gone I’ll be using a much smaller number of mains that I find more fun to play. I’ll mainly gravitate towards Ken, Marth, Dr. Mario, and Cloud, but I’ll surely play other characters I like just for casual fun, like Bayonetta and Captain Falcon.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Not me. It's Richter.

Unless I start playing him and he's REALLY bad. I thought for sure Little Mac was gonna be my main in 4 until I tried to play him.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'm genetically incapable of maining anything but heavyweights so that helps narrow it down a lot.

Probably the fat reptile trio of KRool, Bowser, and Ridley.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I would say try everyone out and see who you like the most. Try the original eight out, and as you unlock fighters, give them a try as well. Giving a character a try implies at least one match each. Eventually you can narrow it down and pick a main.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
You don't have to main only one fighter. You can main 2, 3, 7, 10, or get good with all of them.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
The beauty with every Smash game, or rather fighters in general, is that mains can change between games. Due to mechanical changes (for the game or a character), engine tweaks, the meta, etc.

I'll obviously want to try Wolf, K. Rool, Pichu, DK, Ridley, Dark Samus, and Dr. Mario before anyone else but if it clicks with someone unexpected afterwards why not try them out further? Everyone gets a clean slate.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I have secondary overload. My 3 mains have always been Ness, Jigglypuff, and Lucario, but I also like tooling around with Sonic, Snake, Pac-Man, Mega Man, R.O.B., Duck Hunt, Mewtwo, and numerous others. Actually, now that I think about it, Snake was one of my mains back in Brawl. And now I'm going to be maining King K. Rool as well.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
There's quite a lot of characters I want to use myself, I always loved using Diddy and Villager but I also plan to use Jigglypuff, Wendy, Isabelle, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Luigi, Mario and Inkling as well.

I'll will eventually try everyone on the roster at least though.

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
As you can see in my signature, this is going to be a weird time for me as well. There are sooooooo many characters that I will happily main, but like, how are we supposed to narrow it down at all?? I don't even know how competitive maining works tbh, I lack the commitment.

It's a rough life my dudes

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I somehow completely forgot about Bowser Jr. in my previous comment, even though he was my third most-wanted in Brawl. :facepalm: I've played as him a lot in Smash 4, since I'm so happy about him being in the game.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
This is known as analysis paralysis. If your goal is to win, choose the best character from the list you are interested in. If your goal is to win, but you want to play as an underdog, go with the underdog and have the best character for your secondary just in case things don't go well. It doesn't make sense to use a lower character over a higher character, but some people are like that. I main Samus and my secondary is Zero Suit Samus. Of course, I'm stronger with my main than I am with my secondary.

Bunk McSkunk

Smash Rookie
You just can't know until the game releases. It would be silly to try to come to a decision now, before you even have a grip on what any character feels like. Who knows? Maybe someone that was never on your radar will click with you this time, or maybe a character you loved last time is not worth playing in this iteration. So I'd encourage you not to stress, competitive play is still a long while away and you'll have plenty of time to discover for yourself who the right one is for you. Even the best players have the same commitment dilemma. Nairo used to play Dark Pit and Mang0 used to play Jigglypuff, if you find out later on a character is not for you it's really no big deal to keep them in a casual environment back burner.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The "filthy casual" in me couldn't be happier because of the endless matchups with friends, but I know I gotta find at least one or two and stick with them competitively. Does anybody have any advice?
Play the game.

It sounds like a smart*** answer, but that's how it works. You get your initial interest in a character either by previously being a fan, or thinking the character looks cool, etc., but only once you start playing will you get a feel for who comes naturally. Who's enjoyable to play.

That's my current worry. I've been campaigning for Daisy since before Brawl, but I really don't like playing Peach. Soooo... We'll see how far I can stick it out.

(I'll probably just end up a Young Link main. I always go back to Link in every game.)

Last edited:

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
There should be one character you know how to play in their sleep and a couple of secondary or tertiary mains that they can use for counterpicks.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I think it's a good thing. I'd rather have a bunch of characters that I'm really good with rather than one or two.

True, I'll probably mostly end up using Ivysaur, Ness and Corrin (Despite my preference for Robin, I'm way better with Corrin naturally) because they're who I'm best with in Brawl/PM (For Ivy) and Smash 4 (For the other two), but character changes matter. I never liked Ness up until Smash 4, but then he just clicked with me. Who knows what I'll find in Ultimate that may surprise me. Who knows, I might end up a Richter or Piranha Plant main. But if I could spread my mainage out over like 8 characters? That'd be perfect

Last edited:

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
See my "planned" character list in my sig? Yeahhhhhh and I simply just didn't wanna make it any longer. I am also thinking about Wolf, Fox, Ridley, Bayonetta, Cloud, Young Link..........UGH! Like in the past though, I will eventually see what 3 or 4 I really click with and go from there.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Too many characters I love and want to play with that I can't narrow it down to one. Now if I HAD to choose just one obviously it would be :ultkrool:. But since I don't just look at my sig and you will get your answer of ALL the characters I plan on maining. If Dixie or Bandana Dee is added via DLC they will be added to the squad as well.

Top Bottom