• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mage character for Brawl.

FoxMaster77

Smash Apprentice
I think there should be some sort of mage character. A character that cannot do any physical attacks such as punches and kicks, but has powerful magical attacks that have long range. Even if there was only one character like this, it would still be cool.

Discuss.

Devicho

Smash Rookie
I think a mage type character could be pretty interesting. I can't think of too many characters off the top of my head that would fit that role well, however, other than characters like Micaiah ( I know I didn't spell that right... ) and Kamek. I'm not enitrely sure either have a huge chance at getting in, however.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Cannot do any physical attacks???

...Right, in a fighting game...

Ryralane

Smash Rookie
-pops in- Black Mage for Brawl! =D

But seriously, the Mage character should have some physical attacks if the people got too close. Something to keep people off of them.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
-pops in- Black Mage for Brawl! =D

But seriously, the Mage character should have some physical attacks if the people got too close. Something to keep people off of them.
If Square gets ANY rep it's going to be Geno...

...The only thing that may not get Geno in is the fact that he belongs to Square...

therefore Geno will be in Brawl If a Square rep gets in

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, if you are ALSO counting Hack n Slashes like 99 Nights...

Then it is ENTIRELY possible.

And PI... it's ALWAYS Geno is't iit?

Never Mallow...
Knives are physical aren't they?

Mallow can't deal 9999 (Or 999 forgot max damage limit) to any enemy/ Exor can he?

...I never used Mallow in my party though so I never cared much for him

2azn4u

Smash Rookie
lol this makes me wish Vivi was in this sooo badly....sometimes I have fun fights with friends where it's basically "mage fighting" because physical attacks aren't allowed.

Weed

Smash Lord
You forgot a key aspect: The taunt.

It could be his only physical attack. The taunt of DOOM...

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Black Mage, Black Mage, Black Mage, Black Mage, Black Mage.

Geno couldn't hope to hold a candle to Black Mage's utter and ultimate coolness.

So there's yer mage for ya!

Arteen

Smash Lord
Of course, mage characters would use some physical attacks, since it's only natural. Anyways, Mia or Sheba from Golden Sun or Raine from Tales of Symphonia would make great mage characters. :)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Black Mage, Black Mage, Black Mage, Black Mage, Black Mage.

Geno couldn't hope to hold a candle to Black Mage's utter and ultimate coolness.

So there's yer mage for ya!
Maybe if someone wrote the name of A Black Mage instead of just listing a character class and saying "He" would be cool you would have some validity...

Until then a generic character class could not hope to compete with a popular, actually individual, character...

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Fine.

Vivi.

Happy? Besides, they really never gave him a true name and don't go saying "Well, the CHARACTER Vivi wasn't in any Nintendo games because then yer' jest splittin' hairs.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Fine.

Vivi.

Happy? Besides, they really never gave him a true name and don't go saying "Well, the CHARACTER Vivi wasn't in any Nintendo games because then yer' jest splittin' hairs.
It still is right though

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why he can't be in. Sure if you want to get technical about Vivi and such just call it Black Mage. I mean, Pokemon Trainer isn't any more or less a generic name is it?

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Ugh. So according to you, a nameless class can't get in, WHICH BY THE WAY was never given a name (hence why we call him Black Mage) or, if we give him a name he has never been on a Nintendo console? Face it. Geno couldn't hold a candle to Black Mage. I don't care if he has a name or not. As far as I'm concerned, Black Mage will get into Brawl WAAAY before Geno will.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ugh. So according to you, a nameless class can't get in, WHICH BY THE WAY was never given a name (hence why we call him Black Mage) or, if we give him a name he has never been on a Nintendo console? Face it. Geno couldn't hold a candle to Black Mage. I don't care if he has a name or not. As far as I'm concerned, Black Mage will get into Brawl WAAAY before Geno will.
Not really, he doesn't have a big fan base, plus has nothing else going for him...the only thing keeping Geno out is they don't know if Square will give the rights to a character or not.

Still, according to all evidence IF a Square character gets in it will be Geno

Fawriel

Smash Master
Yes. Micaiah is a relatively likely contender for that role. Weak and quick staff attacks for jabs and tilts, but extremely powerful and long-ranged magical smashes.
Same could possibly go for Gardevoir.

As for Zelda, she more or less uses magic. But, really, most of her attacks look like normal physical attacks ( poke, slap, push... ) and all the sparkles do is add some range. The only actual ranged magic attack she has, Din's Fire, is completely useless in Melee. Hopefully it'll be upgraded for Brawl, but as it stands, Zelda's more of a magic-assisted melee fighter than an actual mage.

Mandalore

Smash Apprentice
Zelda? Or Micaiah. Mewtwo isn't magic, but it looks pretty similar.

Black Mage comes to mind, if we are going 3rd party.
He's more likely than that Geno as a Square rep. He was in one game, what? Over a decade ago? Geno fans are everywhere -_-

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Zelda? Or Micaiah. Mewtwo isn't magic, but it looks pretty similar.

Black Mage comes to mind, if we are going 3rd party.
He's more likely than that Geno as a Square rep. He was in one game, what? Over a decade ago? Geno fans are everywhere -_-
How is Black Mage more likely as all than Geno...what evidence do you have?

None!?!?! I thought so

...Besides, name a Black Mage that has been in more than 1 game

Noshiee

Smash Ace
Mewtwo uses psychic powers, not magic, and Ness uses PSI, which is kinda similar to psychic powers, but is is not magic, so they are not magic, Zelda uses magic in all of her attacks, not counting her down attacks, so she is indeed a mage, she doesnt uses her magic for ranged attacks though (except Din's Fire).

Noshiee

Smash Ace
Mewtwo uses psychic powers, not magic, and Ness uses PSI, which is kinda similar to psychic powers, but is is not magic, so they are not magic users, Zelda uses magic in all of her attacks, not counting her down attacks, so she is indeed a mage, she doesnt uses her magic for ranged attacks though (except Din's Fire).

Not really, he doesn't have a big fan base, plus has nothing else going for him...the only thing keeping Geno out is they don't know if Square will give the rights to a character or not.

Still, according to all evidence IF a Square character gets in it will be Geno
First of all there is no evidence

Second of all Square doesn't care about Geno enough to put him in another game, and if they are going to put someone in brawl its going to be someone who will advertise for them. And nearly all of Square's other characters are WAY more popular than geno.

Fawriel

Smash Master

Second of all Square doesn't care about Geno enough to put him in another game, and if they are going to put someone in brawl its going to be someone who will advertise for them. And nearly all of Square's other characters are WAY more popular than geno.
If "they are going to put someone" in Brawl?

I think it's more like "if Sakurai decides to grab any of their characters for Brawl"!

This is still his game, after all, not some plot of land auctioned to the highest-bidding company! :p

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

I have no idea where you got that information

...and Final Fantasy has their own Fighting Game there going into...they can stay in that...

But at this time their is more evidence Geno is getting in over even the consideration of Black Mage. Whether it means anything will only be determined when all the characters are revealed.

...Besides, evidence points that even a lowly Chocobo has more of a chance in Brawl than Black Mage.

I have no idea where you got that information

...and Final Fantasy has their own Fighting Game there going into...they can stay in that...

But at this time their is more evidence Geno is getting in over even the consideration of Black Mage. Whether it means anything will only be determined when all the characters are revealed.

...Besides, evidence points that even a lowly Chocobo has more of a chance in Brawl than Black Mage.
Stop saying evidence because there is no evidence!

If "they are going to put someone" in Brawl?

I think it's more like "if Sakurai decides to grab any of their characters for Brawl"!

This is still his game, after all, not some plot of land auctioned to the highest-bidding company! :p
yeah i think so, but didn't he say that they have to contact him or something? I don't know I'll try to find that link or whatever

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Stop saying evidence because there is no evidence!
Evidence is information that has been said about Geno and the poll...

I didn't say it was fact or anything but it is evidence, even if it is a red herring

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Dudes, what about the fact that Geno is a Mario character, while Black Mage is through and through a Square character?

If Square had the choice of who they would allow Nintendo access to, would they give them somebody like Geno? Basically making them look like Nintendo's little brother who contributed this one cool MARIO character that they made?

Or are they going to give a SQUARE character. Like Black Mage or Crono?

The point of this is really: Crono over Black Mage AND Geno.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Dudes, what about the fact that Geno is a Mario character, while Black Mage is through and through a Square character?

If Square had the choice of who they would allow Nintendo access to, would they give them somebody like Geno? Basically making them look like Nintendo's little brother who contributed this one cool MARIO character that they made?

Or are they going to give a SQUARE character. Like Black Mage or Crono?

The point of this is really: Crono over Black Mage AND Geno.
I don't think Square's getting a full Rep, Nintendo is just going to ask to use Geno...(as one of their characters with credits to Square)

The full reps (as in rep a franchise) will most likely be Sonic, Megaman and Snake

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Square's getting a full Rep, Nintendo is just going to ask to use Geno...(as one of their characters with credits to Square)

The full reps (as in rep a franchise) will most likely be Sonic, Megaman and Snake
But that's my point, why would Square want to give Nintendo access to a character that Square has little to no interest in and represents them making a game for another developer? Don't you think they'd want their own Snake or Sonic or Megaman in the game? They don't want their third string going in.

Unless they're just getting paid large amounts of money. But crossovers in games usually have advertising purposes as well. And Geno, bottom line, advertises Super Mario RPG and the Mario franchise in general. Just like Link in Soul Calibur II, that was an existing character who's inclusion got major advertisement for Zelda. Geno just doesn't benefit Square.

Look at it this way (even though Diddy Kong isn't owned by Rare) does Diddy Kong advertise any of Rare's games? No... Diddy Kong advertises Donkey Kong games. Which Rare has nothing to do witha nymore.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
But that's my point, why would Square want to give Nintendo access to a character that Square has little to no interest in and represents them making a game for another developer? Don't you think they'd want their own Snake or Sonic or Megaman in the game? They don't want their third string going in.

Unless they're just getting paid large amounts of money. But crossovers in games usually have advertising purposes as well. And Geno, bottom line, advertises Super Mario RPG and the Mario franchise in general. Just like Link in Soul Calibur II, that was an existing character who's inclusion got major advertisement for Zelda. Geno just doesn't benefit Square.

Look at it this way (even though Diddy Kong isn't owned by Rare) does Diddy Kong advertise any of Rare's games? No... Diddy Kong advertises Donkey Kong games. Which Rare has nothing to do witha nymore.
Geno is a Mario character, which Square has nothing to do with and don't plan on making Mario RPG's anytime in the future so letting them use it wouldn't be a problem for them...unless of course they wanted advertising, in which only characters like Cloud or etc. would be efficent enough for that...But Cloud is almost assured NOT to be in Brawl.

Sakurai in the least likes Geno, People want Geno...Square most likely knows this. Of course he's not sufficient advertising, but I'm sure Square would find something out of it...Money something...

...Besides, I don't think they would have any FF Rep because they have their own fighting game coming out in the near future...and Crono's game, though popular, is as much as a cult classic as Mario RPG...

None of us can can be assured what Square's or Nintendo's motives are...everyone is just making assumptions.

Top Bottom