• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mage character for Brawl.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
I will also mention that Black Mage and Crono are much better choices than Geno for two reasons:

Black Mage for one thing, is perhaps Square's most recognizable character (doesn't matter if they're not the same Black Mage, there's many different Links too, after all.) and has appeared in a lot of FF games. Many of them on Nintendo consoles. Also. Black Mage has actually appeared in a Mario game, and much more recently than Geno as well.

Crono (or any Chrono Trigger character) represents something that Square-Enix should be proud of. Because it's one of the major achievements in gaming. One of the best RPGs of all time. And one of the absolute best games on the SNES. Geno just can't match up. He's not the main character and SMRPG isn't as widely loved or respected as Chrono Trigger.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I will also mention that Black Mage and Crono are much better choices than Geno for two reasons:

Black Mage for one thing, is perhaps Square's most recognizable character (doesn't matter if they're not the same Black Mage, there's many different Links too, after all.) and has appeared in a lot of FF games. Many of them on Nintendo consoles. Also. Black Mage has actually appeared in a Mario game, and much more recently than Geno as well.

Crono (or any Chrono Trigger) represents something that Square-Enix should be proud of. Because it's one of the major achievements in gaming. One of the best RPGs of all time. And one of the absolute best games on the SNES. Geno just can't match up. He's not the main character and SMRPG isn't as widely loved or respected as Chrono Trigger.
There is only 1 set Black Mage on a nintendo consel unless of course you mean FF5 where it is optional to be a Black Mage, FF3...where again, it is option and a very low level class.

Crono hasn't really been considered except by fans...just like Black Mage...

Geno is wanted by nintendo and fans, and I think Square knows that...they aren't dumb

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
There is only 1 set Black Mage on a nintendo consel unless of course you mean FF5 where it is optional to be a Black Mage, FF3...where again, it is option and a very low level class.

Crono hasn't really been considered except by fans...just like Black Mage...

Geno is wanted by nintendo and fans, and I think Square knows that...they aren't dumb
Well, I think that it would be a way easier debate if Geno was like Diddy Kong. Geno is ALMOST in the same class as Diddy, and if he was then we could be virtually assured that he'll be in.

And I guess my real point is, that if Nintendo approaches Square to use Geno, there might be further negotiations, with the two most likely "real Square reps" being Black Mage and Crono.

And I'm not even going to lie, Square is the only third party where I would actually not be angry if two characters got in, due to these circumstances. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be angry with all three of them being in the game. Crono deserves it just as much as any of these minor Nintendo characters.

Lumancer

Smash Apprentice
If Mario and Luigi: The Superstar Saga is any indicator, Nintendo can get access to Geno whenever they want him, regardless of how small the part. Square let Nintendo use Geno for M&L:SSS in a tiny, TINY cameo at an arcade, where a Geno doll gives you information on how to play a minigame. If Square is willing to allow the character to be used for something this trivial, then I think it's very safe to say that if Sakurai wants Geno, he's going to get Geno, no problem. And since Geno was on the poll, I'd say that us Geno supporters may just have a fighting chance.

Geno is a Mario character, which Square has nothing to do with and don't plan on making Mario RPG's anytime in the future so letting them use it wouldn't be a problem for them...unless of course they wanted advertising, in which only characters like Cloud or etc. would be efficent enough for that...But Cloud is almost assured NOT to be in Brawl.

Sakurai in the least likes Geno, People want Geno...Square most likely knows this. Of course he's not sufficient advertising, but I'm sure Square would find something out of it...Money something...

...Besides, I don't think they would have any FF Rep because they have their own fighting game coming out in the near future...and Crono's game, though popular, is as much as a cult classic as Mario RPG...

None of us can can be assured what Square's or Nintendo's motives are...everyone is just making assumptions.
Geno is a character who's rights are owned by Square, so he's a square character. Why wouldn't they want advertisement? Every company wants advertisement, a Chocobo has a better chance to be in brawl than geno because then more people are going to buy Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon and Square will make more money, which is what they want. They'll make more money out of allowing a Chocobo to be a playable character then making Geno a playable character which is why his chances are so low. Crono is the star of Chrono Trigger, Geno is not the star of SMRPG...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, I think that it would be a way easier debate if Geno was like Diddy Kong. Geno is ALMOST in the same class as Diddy, and if he was then we could be virtually assured that he'll be in.

And I guess my real point is, that if Nintendo approaches Square to use Geno, there might be further negotiations, with the two most likely "real Square reps" being Black Mage and Crono.

And I'm not even going to lie, Square is the only third party where I would actually not be angry if two characters got in, due to these circumstances. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be angry with all three of them being in the game. Crono deserves it just as much as any of these minor Nintendo characters.
Crono does, but Black Mage doesn't...

Geno is the only one who tied with all the top picks though, and no one thinks any of them won't make it

I still think it will be Geno that actually gets into Brawl...Most likely if not the place will go to Megaman and Sonic...unless neither of them get in...of course, anyone could get in.

We'll just have to see when it is announced.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Also, Cloud wouldn't really be as sufficient as Black Mage for advertising Final Fantasy. Because Black Mage is an iconic image that is associated with Final Fantasy.

Cloud is not. Your average gamer doesn't look at Cloud and think "Final Fantasy" but if the average gamer looks at Black Mage they do.

And Black Mage was in Mario Hoops! Nobody forget! Black Mage was already in Mario Hoops, man.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Also, Cloud wouldn't really be as sufficient as Black Mage for advertising Final Fantasy. Because Black Mage is an iconic image that is associated with Final Fantasy.

Cloud is not. Your average gamer doesn't look at Cloud and think "Final Fantasy" but if the average gamer looks at Black Mage they do.

And Black Mage was in Mario Hoops! Nobody forget! Black Mage was already in Mario Hoops, man.
The average gamer prob knows more about Cloud than any FF character, people seem to be completely obsessed with that game, which is why they are milking it for all it's worth.

Mostly older gamers are the ones who know of Black Mage and think they are some kind of icon, though I'm not sure if that is world wide...

I never played Mario Hoops, knew a Black Mage was in it but I don't think that raises his chances any

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Geno is a character who's rights are owned by Square, so he's a square character. Why wouldn't they want advertisement? Every company wants advertisement, a Chocobo has a better chance to be in brawl than geno because then more people are going to buy Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon and Square will make more money, which is what they want. They'll make more money out of allowing a Chocobo to be a playable character then making Geno a playable character which is why his chances are so low. Crono is the star of Chrono Trigger, Geno is not the star of SMRPG...
I don't think that advertisement is the only major thing to take into consideration. You mention the Chocobo having a better chance to get in how? The Chocobo is no where near as popular as Geno and Nintendo not going to allow such an unpopular character like the Chocobo into brawl as a playable character. Square could ask Nintendo to add in a Chocobo AT.

Have you played Super Mario RPG? Have you even played Chrono Trigger? For one Geno is one of the main characters in SMPRG you cannot deny that just because he shares his role equally with other character in the game. So in a sense he is one of the Stars of SMRPG.

Hell if you even played Chrono Trigger you would know that
Chrono isn't really needed to beat Chrono Trigger.; after a certain event he dies and you are given a choice to bring him back to life. You don't have to do that in order to complete the story.

I mean one could argue that Geno's importance to his story is greater than Chrono's to his.

-Knight

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Look at it this way, Black Mage being in Mario Hoops is roughly equivalent to if Sega had put Sonic in as a racer in F-Zero GX.

It shows a willingness to let the characters co-exist in the same game. Just like that game with Sonic and Mario at the Olympics greatly raises Sonic's chances. Because it shows that Nintendo and Sega are willing to have their characters share spots in a game.

Space_Pirate_Fox_McCloud

Smash Apprentice
Cannot do any physical attacks???

...Right, in a fighting game...
Nintendo pulled it off before with Yugi from Yu-Gi-Oh in Jump Superstars. Instead of fighting, he summoned monsters from his cards for each ability. It was a little akward at first, but he's not too bad once you get used to him. Still, if they could do it before, I don't see why they couldn't with a mage-type character. What I'm more concerned is if there really are any stand-out mage characters that really are significant and recognizable enough to be include in Brawl.

Top Bottom