• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

M2K vs Ken (style?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MVPaintballer

the lil d that could
Iv just been wondering what to look out for when watching these 2 players. If some1 could help me and list some stuff for both players on whats different/same in their playing style, it would help me improve alot. ty!

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Ken is MUCH more aggressive than M2k is, at least in my opinion. To me M2k is more like the DashShizWhiz of Marth's, he camps and once he gets that hit it's like a death combo everytime. That's really the only difference I notice. They both can camp, they both can be aggressive. But there overall playstyles just come off like that to me.

technomancer

Smash Champion
M2k is the better edgeguarder and I'd say overall is better in the Fox and Sheik matchups. Ken has a lot of little tricks up his sleve and has fantastic DI, and is really good at mindgaming your DI.

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
Grab wise, Ken is more aggressive.

But SHFFL fair, aerial wise...M2K is more aggressive. That is kinda how I see it anyway.

Hopefully if the fight between them gets posted up, you'll have a better idea. Its hard to talk about Ken's style nowadays (assuming vids are one's only option) because I don't think he has any new vids up at the moment. We will have to wait and see him play in those oc3 ones. ^^

balladechina212

Smash Ace
Ken has more mindgames up his sleeve but doesn't use them as much as M2K uses his mindgames. M2K's edgeguarding is almost flawless, while Ken still makes some mistakes edgeguarding. M2K is definitely better against spacies, but Ken is probably better against everyone else (including dittos).

Binx

Smash Master
ken is the king of smash and M2k is just a king of mews. Seriously though Ken is really good at completely changing the way he plays in mid match, its like he has 4 really good players inside of him, he will go from crazy grab happy to really patient, to crazy ken combo-e to drephen smashing, he is overall harder to predict and he has great prediction skills. M2K plays alot more defensively and carefull, although they both play defensive and careful overall, but he is a much more aggressive edgegaurder, the way he uses his run off the edge rising spikes is just aww.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Umm.....

1. M2K is more aggressive in practically every way, including grabs.
2. If you don't think M2K combos, then you must've been watching a diff M2K.
3. M2K is better against spacies, and dittos, and probably every matchup, character-wise. Ken still has the experience factor.
4. M2K doesn't use mind games AS MUCH AS pure flawless technique. The main asset to any smasher IMO has always been move placement; knowing which move to use and when exactly to use it. He's been spending the past year(s) studying every angle/option of the game, and it's paid off. I give him mad props and respect for his accomplishment.

I'm not saying M2K's better, but I would say that he's pretty justifiably the best Marth right now, and from watching him grow and his play style change over the past 3 years, I'd say he's on his way to becoming the undisputed top dog in a very short period of time. Wait till the OC3 vids come out, and I'm pretty sure you'll agree...

mog87

Smash Ace
im not gonna comment on mindgames or anything silly like that but as a person who has seen like every smash video match recorded worth seeing..Id say Ken is probably the most aggressive top marth player and his style is pretty much his own for obvious reasons. M2K style reminds me a bit of neo and azen..added in with his own gimps.

Moral of story..take whatever works and implement it to your advantage.

dot_eater

Smash Ace
M2K is much better than Ken is now because he actually continues to improve all the time while Ken quit. Anybody who hasn't actually sat down and played M2K a bunch of matches recently shouldn't comment on his style or what he's good or bad it because you don't know what you're talking about.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
M2K is much better than Ken is now because he actually continues to improve all the time while Ken quit. Anybody who hasn't actually sat down and played M2K a bunch of matches recently shouldn't comment on his style or what he's good or bad it because you don't know what you're talking about.
This is just being arrogant and saying people can't have a discussion about what they see. Just watch Ken videos and watch M2k videos. It has nothing to do with who is better, even though most will agree that it is M2k at this point. Ken's style to me appears more aggressive than M2k's. M2k spaces defensively alot more, does retreating aerials, and camps more. Just watch Ken vs Isai on FD, then watch M2k vs Darkrain in the FC crews on FD. I highly doubt Ken would have cared enough to camp a side of FD to focus on edgeguard gimping (not knocking M2k, I thought it was brilliant). M2k is certainly more aggressive when edguarding. I doubt anyone here can say that what Ken or M2k does is good or bad. They both have different ways of doing things, and are far more effective than what most others could do.

pockyD

Smash Legend
This is just being arrogant and saying people can't have a discussion about what they see. Just watch Ken videos and watch M2k videos. It has nothing to do with who is better, even though most will agree that it is M2k at this point. Ken's style to me appears more aggressive than M2k's. M2k spaces defensively alot more, does retreating aerials, and camps more. Just watch Ken vs Isai on FD, then watch M2k vs Darkrain in the FC crews on FD. I highly doubt Ken would have cared enough to camp a side of FD to focus on edgeguard gimping (not knocking M2k, I thought it was brilliant). M2k is certainly more aggressive when edguarding. I doubt anyone here can say that what Ken or M2k does is good or bad. They both have different ways of doing things, and are far more effective than what most others could do.
i'm guessing the "ken vs isai" you're talking about is from moast3 which was like over 2 years ago?

D

Deleted member

I've played both. M2K is impossible to straight up fight.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
i'm guessing the "ken vs isai" you're talking about is from moast3 which was like over 2 years ago?
I was simply pointing out the contrast in styles, there are plenty of more recent videos of Falcons vs. Marth which do the same thing. Are you saying that Ken will camp the edge of a big stage against Falcons now? Again I'm not arguing which style is better or w/e I'm simply pointing out how M2k plays his game more defensively than Ken does TO ME. I don't think Ken would camp the edge of a stage like that against a Falcon, I think he would feel more comfortable doing whatever he does against them on FD. There were also videos of Azen vs. Isai which are still old but not as old as moast3, and Azen didn't do what M2k did either. And I also think Azen is more defensive than either M2k and Ken as Marth.

Edit: and UnbreonMow just curious, you say M2k is impossible to straight up fight, but what about Ken for you? Your opinion there? And what would be your opinion to whether Ken or M2k is more aggressive offensively?

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
M2K did that vs Darkrain in the crew battle because crew battles are centered around holding stock. In a normal match, he would be more (but not that much more) aggressive simple because he doesn't a reason to keep him from being riskier. Using any crew battle as an example of M2K to compare his style with another player's would be stupid.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I'm not saying he does it all the time, I'm saying I don't think Ken would have done it anyway. Every match good players will change up their strategy because even good players can't continually win with the same tricks. As I said before, and it is also only my opinion, that overall I think M2k plays a more defensive game to me than Ken does. I thought this was an opinion thread, not an arguing thread over me simply thinking that M2k plays overall a more camp -> hit -> **** strategy than Ken does. For all I know Ken does try to do this and it is just he gets caught more often than M2k does. It's all a matter of opinion.

Can we have less arguing and more opinions?

And Cactuar although your right about the situation, I'm pretty sure any pro player would rather hold their stock in tournament matches than lose them.

Edit: Spelling

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Everyone please keep something in mind.

This is an " opinion" thread so you shouldn't bash someone over what they believe, no matter how much you disagree or what reasons they have for making their choice.

I've seen many beginners say, in best fox type threads " Zelgadis is the best fox!!!!!look at teh shine!shift+1!" and I don't agrue with them, because its their opinion. No matter how wrong it may be.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
well to me it looks like M2K plays really aggressive with everything he does

it looks like he gives his opponents no time to do watever and then capitalize because his knowledge of the game is unbelievable

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
well u did all comparations, now i can say that, right now, M2k s playing a lil better, but ken is the best player ever

Ken was the best player in his time. Unfortunately, his time was 2 years ago. He would be labelled an old school player. Mew2King is the best right now, and will likely remain the best by the time Brawl comes around. Don't get me wrong, Ken was one of my main influences as a Marth player, but he just doesn't have the desire to really be the best anymore. Smash is second to everything else in his life, as it really should be in everyone's life.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
For those of you who haven't played M2K, don't make assumptions about his style. Anyone who has played M2K knows he's very aggressive, combos very well, has unmatchable precision, and enough sense to know not to do things that don't work. The combination of all of those is his mindgame; knowing what works and what doesn't, which also means always having a 2nd option ready in case his opponent figures out the first one.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
from the vids i've seen, i'd say m2k is much more agressive, his spacing is flawless and much faster than ken. his combos are all unique, like i dont see them coming, for example this one time on pokemon stadium he does a dair out of shield at the top of the rock, immediately followed by another dair to spike his opponent. just how it was done amazed me.

Ken however has the ability of good anticipation, his invented style to beat PC chris's falco where he counters the lasers only worked because he pulled off a counter 4 times in a row... it was one of the craziest things i've seen, hes like "no attacking for you!"

they are both amazing players but i feel that m2k is a more textbook marth than ken is

D

Deleted member

edit: and UnbreonMow just curious, you say M2k is impossible to straight up fight, but what about Ken for you? Your opinion there? And what would be your opinion to whether Ken or M2k is more aggressive offensively?
I mean it is impossible to attack him and win.

I've played ken before. Ken is really tough but at least he's approachable.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Grab wise, Ken is more aggressive.

But SHFFL fair, aerial wise...M2K is more aggressive. That is kinda how I see it anyway.

Hopefully if the fight between them gets posted up, you'll have a better idea. Its hard to talk about Ken's style nowadays (assuming vids are one's only option) because I don't think he has any new vids up at the moment. We will have to wait and see him play in those oc3 ones. ^^
yea thats kinda what i was thinking and nice sig btw

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Lol @ grab wise. It's VERY, and I mean VERY ****ing difficult to not get grabbed by M2K. I can hardly imagine that Ken can get grabs better than M2K can.

ResidentWaffle

Smash Lord
As bob$ said at OC3; M2k is good on the ground while Ken is good with aerials(e.g. his Ken Combo). This makes Ken better against a bad match-up(e.g. sheik) while M2k's style makes him **** space animals more than ken does because M2K is better with his grabs. This is pretty much true as you see M2k have a much harder time with KDJ's sheik than Ken does, and Ken is known as the sheik slayer.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
As bob$ said at OC3; M2k is good on the ground while Ken is good with aerials(e.g. his Ken Combo). This makes Ken better against a bad match-up(e.g. sheik) while M2k's style makes him **** space animals more than ken does because M2K is better with his grabs. This is pretty much true as you see M2k have a much harder time with KDJ's sheik than Ken does, and Ken is known as the sheik slayer.
M2K did better vs KDJ's Sheik than Ken did during a time when KDJ's Sheik was better than it was when it beat Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom