• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

@M: Australian Tournament: Melbourne

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
For the benefit of the lazy. The current list. Remember to add your name if you will be staying at a residence with the group.

1. Jon
2. Josh
3. Kenton
4. Mat
5. Mic
6. Ryan
7. Emily
8. Diablos
9. David
10. Doug

Theduffman, you certainly are the youngest here. Most people here are 17 or over. We had another player like you a while back, name was Richaod. Turned out we could never even meet him because his mum and dad said no. Don't muck around with us. If you are going to be able to meet up and play smash with us sometime (dont care where) then make sure of it first. Ask permission. If it turns out your mum and dad are also, just like Richaod's, then please lets not waste each others time. Straight to the point I'm afraid. But I hope for better in your case. Hopefully we can meet sometime.

theduffman

Smash Cadet
Theduffman, you certainly are the youngest here. Most people here are 17 or over. We had another player like you a while back, name was Richaod. Turned out we could never even meet him because his mum and dad said no. Don't muck around with us. If you are going to be able to meet up and play smash with us sometime (dont care where) then make sure of it first. Ask permission. If it turns out your mum and dad are also, just like Richaod's, then please lets not waste each others time. Straight to the point I'm afraid. But I hope for better in your case. Hopefully we can meet sometime.
sure, that's fair enough. I've taken a look at his posts, and he stuffed you guys around a fair bit. I won't be going promising anything. I'd say its 50-50 that I'll be able to attend these things, but even so, I like to be here, I like talking to people about the game:)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Wow, that's eerily similar to Richaod's circumstance. The ATT list is pretty crap as you've already mentioned - theres at least 20 dedicated smashers in Melbourne alone, and the tourny should attract 40+. I'll be to promoting my bloody *** off for the event and I don't organise failures. In any case, you owe it to yourself to verse the Fountain Gate Folks (kupo, jon, cella, and other), given the go-ahead as they are top tier and versing them is the quickest way of improving your game.

Welcome Remii, and what is it with Epping!?! There's already a decent Smash gathering there! And they all live near the station!

*sobs for Knox*

Myst, my 1 hour's worth of Sheik pwns you! XD!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Duffman, try and organize something with your parents so that mayvbe Sabre could come over o your place and meet your folks. Then after they see that they aren't nuts (actually make it Kupo. Sabre=/sane) you might be able to go to @M.

Jon, shouldn't that list be in @M?

****. This is @M. WTF?

Betobeblm

Smash Cadet
catching up

I just finally got to read the posts since I played you guys in melbourne. It was good stuff to play some aussie smash.

Yeah it went good for USA I'd say. We are pretty equal Em, but if we played in a tournament I'd beat u 100% of the time though ;) You seem to not play as well except on Pokemon stadium and Final D. You need to vary what you practice on, that goes for you all.

It was pretty close though I'll admit, shiek is always a silly fight. :) hehe But i will beat you if i have to rar ;) haha

But hey I was really posting to say if you wanted to smash one last time before I go back to America, we probably could. I fly back to Melbourne on the 10th, then to America on the 11th...So if you want to smash all night on the 10th, I would be up for that.

It would be a buncha fun, even if I dont have my own controller. So you'll have a bit of an advantage ;)

oh and yes, there was a little ownage...haha :)

Your peach got owned courtesy of Mike G lol....thx mike...
And I could beat your Shiek cause of Yeroc...thx corey...

good friends aye? training me hard, cya back in the states guys :)

Adios, get back to me on smash on the 10th.

kupo

Smash Lord
XD XD XD XD

OMFG!

I've been thinking of vsing you again after you left. Missed you so much, wanted to vs you again soooo badly.

My wishes are granted, and I'm skipping work just to vs you all day! *hogs bob* ^_~

Ha, I'll show you that my sheik will beat you in a tournament..one day...

...and I'll claim that I'm better than you! XD

Oh...and are you staying at the Dorm in Monash still?

Smash on projector sounds to good.

I'm drooling already... XD

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
Mic you tool, lol. This IS @M. Thought I'd remind you again. Theduffman, make sure to ask. I'd like to know if I should organise a meetup, for your parents sake at least.

*hands Em a tissue* Lol, get a grip.

theduffman

Smash Cadet
projectors

the problem with projectors is that the frame rate drops dramatically :( I watched a DVD once, the smoothness was ruined, I imagine for a game like smash it could be bloody distracting.

I've gotta say, playing gamecube on a cinema screen (at the superchallenge) was absolutely incredible. The framerate was perfect and there was full surround sound. There was a commentator, which was good and bad. There wasn't a single person at the comp (out of 400 or so) who could execute any advanced smash techniques or snakeing in F-Zero. 3/4 of the contestants were under my age. And there was a trip to Ninty's hq in america up for grabs. You should've all been there.:(

and re: sabre ant's offer, yeah, I think they would like to talk to someone, that'd be helpful. As far as I can tell, the next pre-@m meetup date hasn't been decided...or is it a couple of pages back in the aus tourney thread?

Hiroshi

Smash Rookie
OK Hiroshi here, long time smasher but still long time n00b :newbie:

Well, I am Caotic's friend and he sorta invited me here to post about Myst Walker but i'll get to that later.

Hiroshi Ikari (just "Hiro" for short)

Name: Hiro
Sex: Male
Mains: Mario, Marth, Roy
Email/MSN: hiroshiikari@hotmail.com

Well first thing, Caotic wanted me to post how crap Myst Walker is and a bragger that doesn't live up to his words. Myst Walker is a n00b so don't ever listen to his crap :chuckle:

Anyway, I hope to go to @M but that depends on what important stuff is happening for Yr12 on feb14.

ja

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Finally.

Hey Hiro, about time you showed up here. I want everyone to know Hiro is quite skilled at Melee because he pwns Myst. I guess we know him too well, hehe.

Myst doesn't brag though. He merely posts profound stuff which doesn't translate on screen, lol.

@M > VCE dammit.

Duffman, a normal projector will not affect the framerate. I guess Jon's the Melbourne Smash Ambassador, it'd be worthwhile getting him acquainted with your folks. He's a nice bloke. I wouldn't mind meeting up either, if that's cool.

A pre-@M date will most definently be Jan 10 2005. Bobby will be back to kick some serious Samus - can't wait.

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
There is no problem with using projectors to play Smash. We've done it at Shaz's house a couple times in the past and there is barely any difference, aside from a dilution in colour due to an imperfect shade of white on the wall, which cant be helped.

A lot of us were at the superchallenge. Theduffman, in case you didnt notice, snaking is done by max acceleration settings, and Nintendo were very strict and adamant about everyone using mid setting with no variation. According to Shaz, he saw one player attempt to snake at the beginning of a race, but then quickly pause and complain about his controller once he realised it was not possible.

Furthermore, in case you didn't know, I came 3rd place in the Superchallenge, winning the Gold Class tickets. I played purple Samus, and was possibly the only skilled smash player onscreen all day. I think I was the winner of the 1st of 4 melee fights. It was between myself and a Falco player, whom I booted off to the right side. Do you remember the cheers and chants? I certainly do. ^^

blizzard224

Smash Rookie
Hi, my name's John Michael, I'm a friend of duffmans, and I'm really interested in the event. I live in East Malvern-Chadstone if any of you care:chuckle:.

Don't put me down for anything yet, but I am very interested! :D

Hiroshi

Smash Rookie
Myst brags on MSN, "Oh, I found new technique to beat you" etc...

Yeah... **** VCE

I am skilled at melee but not hardcore skilled :D

theduffman

Smash Cadet
A lot of us were at the superchallenge. Theduffman
ah, I didn't hear anyone mention it.

in case you didnt notice, snaking is done by max acceleration settings, and Nintendo were very strict and adamant about everyone using mid setting with no variation.
yup, I do know about snakeing, although I can't do it very well. I forgot about them enforcing mid acceleration.

According to Shaz, he saw one player attempt to snake at the beginning of a race, but then quickly pause and complain about his controller once he realised it was not possible.
yup, I remember a couple of times people complained about controllers, but I spose I wasn't watching and didn't notice people were trying to do snakeing before complaining.

Well done coming third :)

I got to the final with a perfect score (a win in each round), passed avalanche confortably, and was in a massive lead after the first lap of F-Zero. I was out of practice and I used my boosts terribly, I dropped back and finished a close second :(

At the final, there was a guy called joe who I met early in the compe, who did the nastiest trick...he was the disco guy wearing the gold pants, checkered shoes and shiny black wig (disco stu) he recieved the best dressed prize, and chose crystal chronicles. He removed the disk, put it in his bag, and returned the case, complaining that no disk was inside! he then recieved a second game, Mario Golf Toadstool Tour.

I don't condone his behavior, but I've gotta say, he is one crafty son of a *****.

well were any of you guys at the Jam Factory one? Did you win any tribal sps?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Cats and I came from Knox, and a whole crapload of others came from Fountain Gate.

I bagged a Tribal from Melee. I just picked up Mario and spammed up-B in Multi-Man-Melee. It was stupid.

Duffman + friend, do you guys reckon you have a chance of coming to n2c this coming Monday? Then you could meet most of us. Otherwise 10th of Jan it is.

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
Who, didn't realise disco Stu had a thieving cousin. What a loser. Anywa, yeah I know there was great temptation to boost at the start of lap 3 until you could boost no more, but I resisted it. My opponents... didn't.

There's a French, old-school Techno Artist, named Jean Michel Jarre (I kid you not). That's a good name =p

I think that we need less American's posting here, and more of them flying here to vs.

BladeMarth

Smash Ace
hiya, good to see tonnes of new people that i dont know. I don't think i should be posting here lol, this seems to be a rival thread to ATT....

Just wanted to say that if you would like to have a winge like Diablos (jk)...and change your details on the first post in ATT like main chars etc.., or you want me to add you, gimme you details and i'll do it when i get the chance.

blaaaghzz. new sig yay.

kupo

Smash Lord
Shaz probably won't make it if its going to be at n2c. And its going to cost us a sh*tload just to stay there for 8 hours or so. After doing some saving, I'm not really keen on spending more =/. Afterall, I'll be issuing money matches on the day. So bring extra cash! =P

Anyhoo, it'll save everyone money if we host it at someone's place. And that's most likely going to be at my place [or Shaz' if he offers it, but I doubt it]. I'll confirm it by tonight and let you know ^^. The only problem if a lot of people come is that, there's only 2 TV's in the house [and a reminder to someone to bring a GC].

Oh and a reminder...

Can everyone confirm who their teaming with or mention that you already have a team [and name]. I can start on the Bracket ^^.

So far the teams that are known:
CJ [Jon?] - Shaz [Team Sexy Beast]
Em - That Diablos Guy [True Diablos]
Kenton - Mat [Team Shambles] (unconfirmed)
Ryan - Mic
CATS - Quez [Team Peach]
Caotic - Myst (ditched Hiro) [Fighting Dreamers]
Bardiel - David

I know for certain that there is more, but it wasn't mentioned. I'd like to know ASAP. ^^ Thanks in advance.

Oh and Kent, thanks for the headbands! ^^ They rock!

*~*edit*~*

G ain't coming jon. He's said that he's too cool for us =P.

Cats and Quez are THE Australian Team Peach Vision.

*~*Anbu*~*

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
Lol, as much as I'd love to be part of the Shaz/Jon duo in Feb, I think Shaz had his heart set on CJ as partner. It would seem that Team Sexy Beast/Sexy Animal (depending on char selection) wont be on display. Where's Josh? Teaming with Mike G I think I heard? Isnt that right? Is Mike G coming???

If the n2c meet is changed, where will it be? Any news? I/everyone should know as soon as possible. =\ Cao tells me Myst can host. Glen Waverly. 5 min from station. Apparently. Thats an option anyway it seems.

Myst Walker

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, my place is always a free option, no trouble there, it's located a 5 minute walk from the station so it's easy to get to. In fact, I'd love random people to come over and relieve my boredom with a bit of smash =p.

However, Cao's gone forward and taken the initiative this time round again =). It's my understanding that the following information is an understood agreement between Kupo and the rest, so the meet is definetly no longer going to be at n2c.

Date: Monday, 27th December, 2004
Time: 12:00 pm onwards
Funds: This time around, please bring $5 to help offset food costs. You guys ate tons of pizza the other meet, and Cao's wallet is nice and empty atm =p. You can always choose to bring your own food, or eat before you arrive as an alternative though.

Other than that, pretty much the same deal as last meet at his house. Although, I demand Perfect Dark be banned from entry! =p. I've received notice that it may be bigger than the last, and if we end up with everyone crowding the small TV and the 50 hz TV, while the big nice spiffy TV in the living room is taken again by one person playing PD solo missions again, that's...just SAD! I'd love to come out and say no Soul Calibre 2 and Naruto also, but I'm 100% sure I'll be lynched by random people if I do =p.

Anyways, the meet is 2 days from now, better get things organized. There's not much time left, so throw Cao a line if you can if there's any change of plans, so he can know to expect (if you haven't done so already...I dunno, I'm just a messenger boy, I don't get told much till after it's all happened =p)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Confirmed and ready to roll.

I endorse everything that has been said above. I like hosting.

Everyone's invited and here are the definites:
CAOTIC
Bringer
Kupo
Slinkovic
Freddos
SabreAnt
Duffman
Remii
Richard
V1p3R
Nick
Myst Walker
Glothrenite

Myst, next time you're hosting, comprende?

V1p3R

Smash Rookie
Yay another meet. Myst - no naruto? You CRAZY? :crazy: Naruto is the bomb. Katz will agree with me :D.

I'm benji by the way (tall guy with red hair who plays SC2 with arcade stick :p).

Myst Walker

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by CAOTIC
I endorse everything that has been said above. I like hosting.

Myst, next time you're hosting, comprende?
Haha, I wonder if a next time can be fit between January and February, the tournament looks so close already, and I feel noobier by the day =p. Must...practise...more!

Heyo Benji...don't remember you, but I DO remember that Arcade Stick! That's probably a horrible thing...but I can't help it, I forget faces easily until I actually talk to said person somewhat =p. Talk to me a bit come monday and I'm sure I'll remember you.

I've nothing against Naruto! I'm just aghast that you all would all crowd up around a tiny screen TV where G&W can go invisible on FD in FFA on account of the screen being so tiny, or bunch up on a 50 Hz TV in Cao's stuffy room, and leave the nice open living room and it's uber TV to hang dry =p. I dunno, maybe I missed something and you we're all having a big close bonding session in that room or something *cough*

Hum...it's 1 hour past Christmas already, nooo...soon it'll be New Years...and that means more resolution making that I'll never keep! I always hate looking back on the year and seeing how many resolutions I've broken =p.

Bardiel

Smash Rookie
Em, take me and david out of the teams, thats just Ian's whishfull thinking. I wont really feel like playing much after getting beaten like **** in the main event.

And why cant some of you melbourne people come to adelaide... theres so many of you and we have 3... a measly 3... come onnnnn. You seem to be getting more and more, Im starting to think the prospect adelaide smashers are moving to melbourne because they know theres more people over there.

Anyway, Ive *****ed enough for one night, sleep time...

Plasia

Smash Journeyman
I cant come on Monday. :(

You will all miss me intently *cough cough*

Hurry up and organise something on a day I can come.

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
Dont worry Bardiel, for ages there seemed to just be the 4 of us in Melbourne (Cronos_Rainbow, kupo, cella_lina & *me* SabreAnt). But there WERE people lurking, it just took us our sweet time to find them, and them us. Mind you, the Superchallenge put us leaps and bounds ahead in our progress to find competitive smash players, so that was an extraneous variable, that you couldn't well count on. Hopefully you'll find some soon.

theduffman

Smash Cadet
I've practiced a fair bit, but I still haven't got all the advanced techniques down, my shl in particular, but I'll be there anyway. It'll be my first proper look at the smash elite! I can play the worst of you, watch a bit, eat a bit, then leave a bit before dinner.

Hopefully I'll get in a bit of SCII also. Its a bit more button-mash friendly ;-)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Tournament Predictions [kupo posting] ^^

Its been a cool smashfest. Though some of the people turned up for the previous meet-up and not todays, was quite disappointing. Ah well, ya'll got valid reasons i spose. It was hella fun and we recorded some matches!! >=]. Yes, Mike G, you can finally see me in action against Rmusgraves fumi-like Yoshi!

Haha, just then we played around with Tournament maker, and did some tournament predictions!! ^^. It was funny =P. Haha, keep in mind that the brackets are not confirmed yet, so its not the real thing ^_~.

Anyhoo, here are the top 17 places:

1 Captain Jack [...well...duh]
2 Emily [ I'm placing higher than Josh no matter what, so shut ya'll! =P]
3 Josh [Haha]
4 Ryan [Sorry fumi]
5 Cella [Have a back up character incase...or maybe not]
5 Jon [...sorry bud]
7 Ian [Chill out, just a prediction]
7 Kenton [Harhar, my Sheik's better than you. =P]
9 Dave [Kickass Peach that hasn't had much practice?]
9 CAO [My apprentice is cool]
9 Shaz [Worst Fox Eva?]
9 Froddos [>>>>> Mat]
13 Mic [Beats Mat Once again!]
13 Immanuel [Beats Mat]
13 Joseph [and again]
13 Joseph friend [...and AGAIN]
17 Mat [Lost to mic...tut tut]
17 Benji [Narutard]
17 Nat [ Equal to Mat? WTF?]
17 Myst Walker [CoolNESs!]
17 Julian [...don't know you]
17 Nick [Better than fighting CJ in the first round eh?]
17 Anfurni [You doin' good bud]
17 Glothrenite [Ranked better than the other mofo's. Good stuff]

=P.

Enjoy!

*~*AnBu*~*

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nah, that's not gonna happen. Yoshi's too much of a ***, and the more I verse you guys, the more I suicide, or double jump at the wrong time.

''NOOOOO!!! Triple jump!!'' - Yoshi

So... unless I improve my tech skills and mind games, swap me with Mat ;)

Other than that... you guys are all uber, and the fact that there's so many of you is really cool. You're all fun to be around, and smash against. February is gonna be better than we all anticipated before I can't wait.

But, until then... the training begins :)

theduffman

Smash Cadet
was great, guys. I was a bit worried I'd get thrashed by a stupid amount, but it turned out ok. Got some wins in the amateur room and I got a melee win as pichu, woohoo.

I've now got a better idea of what needs extra practice: my shl and jump-cancel out of shine, as well as avoiding stupid SDs as my ICs.

Ryan's UpB eggs were scary, from ledges, backwards, long, etc, and his jigglypuff was a goddam pain in the ***. His repeated bair to stop recovery almost drove me mad.

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
''NOOOOO!!! Triple jump!!'' - Yoshi
Lol, same here. I probably won't do quite so well, but it all depends on the matchups in the end. An easy run will see me 5th, but a hard probably 8th+

"NOOOOO!!! Powerbomb!!" - Samus

Thanks for being such a cool guy during your time with us Ryan, it was great to catch up with you a few times and play some good smash with you. We all look forward to some healthy competition in Feb, thanks for sharpening our skills a little, Hope you got something from it all aswell.

Might be going to the city to check out Melbourne Uni venue tomorrow, so that'll be cool. See if it's really worth downgrading to e2 games, over a massive lecture theatre. We'll see. Btw, it was good to meet the new faces today. Glothrenite and DuffMAN! *"Can't breathe!", pelvic thrusts into air!* Also Nick and Remii I think it was.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
TY.

Thanks to everyone who popped over for my second meet along with a host of fresh faces! Duffman I hope the competitive smashers were what you were expecting, and is it right to assume that your folks think we are an acceptable bunch? If that’s the case then it’s all swish. Hopefully you can verse us again sometime. In any case, my hosting days are over for now because:
1. I’ve had my fun.
2. My cbf factor is increasing.
3. “Someone else! Yay! Someone else! Someone else! Someone else!”

Ryan thanks for coming over twice, your smash skills are so **** elite and it’s rocks to verse you (even though you’re always tempted to counterpick me – d*** you!) For some reason I’m beginning to think my Bowser has a better chance of disposing top tiers than my space animals do. I’m so tempted to whip out my Bowser in an @M match and cause an upset... but now I’m just dreaming. Versing Jon’s DK was pure suckage.
Anf chucked a hissy fit when our Falco dittoes went my way (it was depressing). It must have been the pizza and the subsequent lethargy... and then he went psycho-happy when he beat Em. Scary.
Freddos’ Fox is slightly better than mine...
Benji was being a Narutard XD! But I pwned his primary in Smash, so no more claiming superiority!
Emily was loud. ^_^
As for the others, either I didn’t verse you, or you seem unimportant. lol - Myst.
As for myself I suck at FFA’s.

Naruto adversely created several converts. It’s wrong. At least there are no ‘Narutoboards’ on the net (please don’t prove me wrong). It passes as entertainment, but seeing people neglect Smash and stare at Naruto’s B-grade cell shading for several hours just isn’t cool. Otherwise Em, thanks a bunch for your tips – they’ve helped me immensely, and hopefully I can add another gear or two into my game before February’s @M. Ryan’s right. It will rock.

Myst Walker

Smash Apprentice
Un-important? Bugger you, haha.

Yeah, things we're fun though, props to the new people who popped over (Duff, Gloth, Remii, Nick), it's fun seeing new people come to the competative scene =p.

And someone give Jon a big pat on the back and a round of applaus for all that coke he brought, 2 boxes in total, there was never a lack of drink as a result, your a champ.

Now...there was no Perfect Dark...but Naruto took it's spot as the new evil in the house. How could some of you abandon Smash at a Smash Meet to go sit in front of a tiny TV for 6 odd hours straight and play Naruto? That's scary! You we're all in some kind of trance! I bet, if anyone had listened closely, you we're all chanting 'naruutoooo' quietly under your breath!

*cough* Anyways, it was all kickass fun, I still feel like a big n00b, hopefully next time I see people I'll have raised another notch =).

I'm amazed. So far Em's post about the Tournament predictions has initiated one passive response. Where is everybody? Shaz especially? =p

Slinkovic

Smash Cadet
I dunno why, but Dave's [THE Dave, =P] Falco inspired me, and I beat Cao's after that [finally!] yay! I'm never eating unhealthy food whilst gaming again, I swear; you get moody, and your reflexes are teh sux0rz!!11omg!1eleven. Yes.

Good tip: Don't eat crap.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
It's so true, especially for Myst and I - we are so **** food dependant - if you eat junk your performance goes down the toilet, you're twice as slow, and you're forced to use a slower character because Fox become too quick for your reactions. Ugh. Alcohol also does this to you. So if you wanna beat someone you despise, be a mate and give them a beer.

Healthy habits tandoori chicken focaccia it is! XD!

PS - Myst, I'd be thrilled with 9th place, as I was the biggest n00b on the block 2 months ago. I think I'm overrated, but I'm not complaining. Shaz's position proves that no one acknowledges his skill! lol. That, or he had a bad matchup...

Top Bottom