• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

M.A.S: EPIC CHARACTERS ARE EPIC! 08/21/2010 Winthrop Harbor, IL

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Final decisions:

* Payouts stay the same. It has to for a reason. The reason is to encourage leveling up and to make payouts appropriate vs. the number of people who entered the tournament.

* Non cash bonus Doubles tournaments will be $5 from here on out.

* Singles will stay the same.

We are currently working on details for the new venue. So the venue fee might change, especially if you have to pay for parking at the new location. But we may move next door, like I mentioned earlier.

$10 venue fee is pretty standard in lots of competitive communities (especially at a place where u don't have to pay for parking). This applies to monthlies. Ranbats/biweeklies are usually $5. Also payout being 70, 20, 10 is as well (in terms of standards).

I don't know why Smash is always the exception to tons of traditional things (remember I orriginated from competitive scenes of like Tekken, Street Fighter, ETC.) I'm used to. Only thing I truly understand is the counter pick stage stuff (vs in other fighting game scenes - the stage is always random).

And let's not forget when you bring in a full setup, you're waived completely (vs. other places that give u a discount or something).

Okay real talk:

I'm not going to lie and keep it very real with u all...

All these requested changes (like having tournament criteria cater to them) and altering traditional standards (rules/etc.) is why the Smash community is viewed as a joke else where (have u ever been on shoryuken.com ? aka the biggest competitive website ever). It's annoying that that's the case, but its true. For those who came to MWC this year (kels, mundungu, and a few others) and was cheered out of the building (because smash wasn't ran)...this is part of the reason why that happened. Very embarrassing. :(

I'm trying to help Smash get the respect it deserves from other communities, well at least in the midwest, before my tournament in NOVEMBER (yes it's no longer in October). That is why I include it amongst other fighting games I run. I go a lil outa my way for u all. And I defend you folks when other communities talk down about you. I don't and don't want to regret any of this.

So all I ask is that we keep some pride and dignity amonst ourselves and try to keep things consistant on a tournament level. Leveling Up, playing to win. And having fun along the way.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
(kels, mundungu, and a few others) and was cheered out of the building (because smash wasn't ran) [...] other communities talk down about you
LOL explain to me why i should go out of my way to gain the respect of a bunch of children. or why i should arbitrarily charge 50 people a $10 venue fee if i only pay $100 for a venue. and whats the deal with these "stocks" anyways?? why dont we do stamina mode so smash has more appeal to tekken and street fighter players??

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Yeah I agree that what they did was probably the lowest point of low I seen towards the Smash community. And I really felt bad for the folks who did make it out that day.

But that venue and the money the head T.O (keits) put into that tournament was hardly $100. He gave away a $2,000+ guaranteed pot (divided between a variety of games) and spent over $4,200 for the venue/hotel and everything involved with it. And hardly made any money back.

But lol stamina mode. Interesting things about that:

All move precentages remain consistant. So that means juggles are always consistant regardless of what precentage you start your combo at. You can still DI though. That's very Tekken/SF ish. :p

SSBM MELEE IS BEING CANCELED AT THIS EVENT!!!

If you'd like to get your Melee fix, please visit this thread:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=201209

Melee will pick back up in September @ MAS, with a couple of surprises too. ^_^

BLAZBLUE: CONTINUM SHIFT IS NOW BEING FEATURED AT MAS!!!

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Whoa I thought everyone was going to Zjiin's tournament instead for Melee, which is on the same day.

I mean if people still want to play Melee at this, that's fine with me. I just canceled Melee here because I thought no one would play it here with Melee being elsewhere the same day in Chicago.

EDIT: But we're running BlazBlue regardless if Melee is there or not :p

Oro?!

Smash Hero
No Web, you did nothing wrong. Vro would probably be pissed if there was competition for his tournament. He is trying to rally as much of the MW as possible, and built up a pot bonus from his own money to attract more ppl. Just saying Melee or BB. ARGH.

SimaMatt

Smash Journeyman
as much as I hate blazblue I wouldn't mind trying CS for Makoto and the dlc butler...Assuming the consoles actually have those chars, lol.

hunger!

Smash Champion
$5 doubles are so ********. Especially since websters tournies bring in OOS, not just WI/IL.

I do support the kirby air ride idea, good shiit kenni.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I didn't think that $10 was a problem for dubs, honestly if I lose in an event 95% of the time It's my fault for sucking too much.

Lack of Melee would make me sad, but if not enough people came I would understand.

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
I didn't think that $10 was a problem for dubs, honestly if I lose in an event 95% of the time It's my fault for sucking too much.

Lack of Melee would make me sad, but if not enough people came I would understand.
It's $10 to play Fatboy n Grimace. Every tournament.

Woo.

hunger!

Smash Champion
It's $10 to play Fatboy n Grimace. Every tournament.

Woo.
you know how much effort me, marsh and grimace have put into our team game? if you or anyone else in WI for that matter would do that, you guys would be just as dominate as we are. We understand teams play way more than anyone else in WI/IL and i guarantee that.
Marshall and G also are one of the FEW static teams we have in our states as well. It isn't a surprise they perform well. They've been teaming with eachother for a very long time.

Ally and Mew2King win every national tourney, by your dumb azz (censored ***...stupid) logic, then people shouldn't enter. $5 teams are ******** and you're using scrub logic and won't get any better by thinking that, so good luck.

I don't really get why Webster changed it to $5 when realistically... there were only like 3 people wanting that. Stupid decision.

KenniSpam!

Smash Master
Hows that light shield landed aerial working out for you?

Edit. Youre all ******s for taking a video game so seriously n goign to tournaments for it n stuff. You should like get a life

Edit2. LOL OBVIOUS TROLL IS SO BLOODY OBVIOUS. seriously though jason get a better controller

Tetsion

Smash Journeyman
I don't see what the big deal is for doubles to be 5$ instate and 10$ when enough out of state comes in.

Arguing about this is why people "laugh" 5$ is easier on the people who don't have as much skill to enter a tournament. Usually the people who keep feeding the players who play progressively well. Logically.. 5 dollars ends up more participation from lesser people so they can "get better" 5 dollars each tourney compared to 10 adds up. I can go to two tourneys for only 5 dollars instead of one for 10.

I'm sorry but when you bring "get better" or "get experience" you don't get that from giving your money away just to get dominated. That is an invalid argument. You get experience by playing friendlies you can play more instead of 2-5 matches AND having to wait for other people. You don't get experience that way if we are talking about tourney attendance.

I get experience for example at Kirk's Smashfests and friendlies, not for putting in my money into a pot. I can say I got at least better from when I first entered a tourney, and it wasn't because I got experience not making it through pools and did not even get a friendly in. FYI.

Like also who cares what other's think about us? This isn't highschool, we should enjoy doing things our way. Smash brothers isn't the same type of fighting game as the others, everything else is the same it's like playing shooters (of course this is a GENRAL statement there are obvious differnces) why keep playing the same thing? It's boring. So we should run our own community with pride, and screw everybody else who thinks otherwise.. that is scrub talk from them.

SO IMO, we should all just show "the ****" up at this tourney and decide there. 10 dollar singles is still 10 dollars... we can vote on doubles at Webster's tourney, what the price will be. It's still money, if you got skill you will win it anyway :p or LETS GET CREATIVE GAIZ

5 dollar dubz and 10 dollar dubz :D

also, mewtwoking, m2k, Mew2King. :pPPPPP

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
Hunger - I'm paying you $10 to play whoever you're teaming with and then Marshall and Grimace. No matter what you say, that's what I'm doing. I could get just as much experience getting ***** in a $5 tournament than I could getting ***** in a $10 tournament. Literally the only difference to me is how much you guys ***** about the payout.

Simply putting time into doubles really doesn't help. I could play doubles with 3 CPUs all day every day and I wouldn't learn ****, I'd have to play doubles with decent (at least) players, and even then, you guys are vastly better at singles, which translates well into doubles.

Hell, I entered MLG's $10 doubles because I thought we'd get some good experience. I really don't care that I'm not making money - I don't expect that to happen ever, or at least any time soon - but I'm done paying $10 to play your two teams, with MAYBE another thrown in there. If MAS was getting the turnouts / amount of teams it did at the end of last year, then I'd be cool with it, but there's no point in losing badly to the same teams every single tournament.

The M2k/Ally logic doesn't make sense. If you're entering a national, that's pretty much consent for the other teams to play hard. If you expect people to sandbag you, that's just ********. Hell, I entered MLG's $10 doubles knowing full well I wouldn't make it out of second round losers. The thing is, you guys **** us WHILE sandbagging. And I'm paying you $10 to do so. "You only get better by paying more" doesn't work there.

And btw, Waukesha plays more doubles than it does singles when we have at least 4 people. It's easily my favorite way to play the game, it's just not fun or worth it playing against you guys who sit there and bend us over without even trying.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
You enter tournaments to win money and competition....not to get better or to get experience. Seriously the way you put it you shouldn't enter anything jus pay the venue fee n play friendlies all day then u dont have to worry bout wasting 10$

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
maaaaan. Grimace and Fatboy are legit. One of the best teams I've played in the MW. Losing to them doesn't make me want to quit entering doubles, it only makes me want to improve my doubles game!

also. Hopefully I can make it to this. <3 you all. =)

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
Just so everyone is up to date with my Grand Champs in October/November or whatever:

M2K sent me a PM asking me to move the date for the Champs in October...because MLG is that weekend. Well I moved it to November anyways. And now I got word from my boss, that I HAVE TO CANCEL ALL TOGETHER until next year.

Mew2King said:
can you change the date for your Brawl and MElee cash bonus tournament? If you keep your current date, Oct 15th, for your big event, then you will get no attendnace in the smash community, especially not for Brawl. If you could make the big smash bonus tournament on say... Nov 22nd, that would be ideal and would get great attendance.
My response.

My tourney is actually canceled (the $2,000/MAS MCS Champs one). Until next year (January). We've had a lot of complications lately. This includes me losing my venue (yeah the cafe i was holding tournaments got closed), other costly events happening elsewhere that is outa my hands...IN MEXICO =/, and my personal money is being used to catch up on bills/debt.

So you're the first to know. And it really ****ing sucks that I have cancel. I was really looking forward to giving the Midwest the Major it deserves in November.

Hopefully things get better later in the year.
I don't even know where my MCS thread is in poop chat/tournament announcements. :( For me to even announce that it's been canceled.

Seems like lately it's been one ****ty situation after another. :(

EDIT:

EVERYONE PLEASE STFU AND STOP COMPLAINING SO ****ING MUCH!! JUST ENTER IN WHAT YOU WANT TO PLAY AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE HOW MUCH IT COST THEN TOO ****ING BAD...DON'T PLAY! TRY TO HAVE FUN AND LEVEL UP, THAT'S ALL THAT ****ING MATTERS.

IF YOU'RE GOING TO A TOURNAMENT STRICTLY TO MAKE MONEY, MONTHLIES ARE NOT FOR YOU. TRAVEL AND GO TO A MAJOR.

SMASH PLAYERS ARE SOOO ****ING "HIGH MAINTENANCE" SOMETIMES. I <3 YOU ALL, BUT GOT ****!!!

GROW THE **** UP AND STOP COMPLAINING!

...please. :mad:

Top Bottom