• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

M.A.S: EPIC CHARACTERS ARE EPIC! 08/21/2010 Winthrop Harbor, IL

Oro?!

Smash Hero
@Webster, hells yeah he is the best at Mahvel, but did you see him tear up TvC too? I mean, he did rip through losers, and lost intentionally because he thought Marn had a better shot at winning. Which Marn did win. Lol, **** was too good when J Wong's sandbag Ryu clutched a round against Marn.

Devildigimon

Smash Lord
haha. it kills me how much we were reminded that wong never plays tvc and beasting still.

goes to show basics is a virtue.

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
$5 doubles are ********. go to dont blink if you want those.

keep it at $10, this is a real tourney.
Especially with the super awesome turnouts its been getting.

I already pretty much am not entering any doubles unless its $5 per, simply because its not worth it. I learn nothing by getting absolutely **** on by every team there. At least getting **** on in singles teaches me something.

Also, when recording, my Virtualdub for some reason lost all compression settings, so I have to redo all of them and re-record them. They'll be up by tonight though.

Wafles

Smash Lord
It's pretty much only the people who consistently place high in doubles who want doubles to be $10

I'll just go ahead and say that I probably wont enter doubles if they're $10 unless I've got a good teammate, which isn't all that often. Just ain't worth it. At least since I've got some serious money trouble at the moment.

KenniSpam!

Smash Master
It's pretty much only the people who consistently place high in doubles who want doubles to be $10

I'll just go ahead and say that I probably wont enter doubles if they're $10 unless I've got a good teammate, which isn't all that often. Just ain't worth it. At least since I've got some serious money trouble at the moment.
This .

Quik17

Smash Ace
Doubles should be $10 if there is a lot of OOS interest like from Ohio and MN

If it's just a WI/IL local then doubles should definitely be $5 otherwise we'll be seeing like only 4 teams enter.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I also really like the EC method of doing payouts. Top 5 is amazing, ensures more competition among the people who don't win every time, and doesn't take a drain on the wallets of the overall community.

That's just my opinion though, and I really don't think it will ever happen at a MAS, most likely not at a Don't Blink either... >_>

Quik17

Smash Ace
it should happen.. top 5 payout is amazing no matter what the turnout

edit: oro you're a TO at DB, make it happen!

hunger!

Smash Champion
i do support top 5 payout. but to go along with that. i think that there should always be consolation matches between the two 5th placers.

grimacetpp

Smash Apprentice
To Kennispam and Wafles,
you guys probably shouldn't enter singles too because you guys don't have a good chance to win. That kind of logic should not be exclusive to Doubles if you think that way. Doubles I think is more competitive than singles, it deserves as good as a payout as singles does. Also, do not pull this whole you win or place consistently in doubles bull, I've teamed plenty of times without placing top 3, and never said a word about the entry fee. Because it's right, if you want competition you got to throw money in the pot. Why do you guys think we all come to these things, we want to compete. It's just not the same without money involved. Why some people think that should only apply to singles is beyond me.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
10$ venue fee with 10$ per event with only top 3 payout really is killer, especially for scrubs like KenniSPAM.
Imo ideal is 5$ venue fee or less, 10$ events, and top 5 payout, with the 5th place spots playing it out for placing/cash obviously Hunger. :p 5$ can be a real difference from a mental standpoint, seeing as how 5$ can make either people from WI not want to drive down, or bad people like Kenni not want to enter. How bout the idea that money is incentive to try, and it doesn't matter how much $ you win, just that you win when everyone lays all the chips down. It's a game and it's supposed to be about fun, not money right?

_Kain_

Smash Champion
I thought the 10$ venue fee was to let you play friendlies? The events cost money cause they are for that, money and competition. If you have the mindset of your bad i get ***** in doubles and singles neways then jus dont enter. 5$ really isn't that much more...

napZzz

Smash Hero
Doubles should be $10 if there is a lot of OOS interest like from Ohio and MN

If it's just a WI/IL local then doubles should definitely be $5 otherwise we'll be seeing like only 4 teams enter.
he has a point. If I travel to a tourney, I dont want it to be 5$ entry fee and make it seem like its not that real/important. I'd rather go for the real deal. Ya know what I mean?

Only people who are complaining about the 10 are bad and get 2-0'd right away

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
he has a point. If I travel to a tourney, I dont want it to be 5$ entry fee and make it seem like its not that real/important. I'd rather go for the real deal. Ya know what I mean?

Only people who are complaining about the 10 are bad and get 2-0'd right away
(Which are the majority feeding your pot, btw)

Kain said:
5$ really isn't that much more...
It's double.

Grimace said:
Because it's right, if you want competition you got to throw money in the pot.
The difference is, for people who have no chance of placing like myself, why waste the money period? You guys do **** like double ROB and double D3 when our teams called and still win, so I'm paying $10 to get basically considered a joke match in an otherwise serious tournament. If I want competition closer to my level, $5 is a bit more appropriate, especially considering I'll learn more from it too. If I wanted to compete against the best teams in the area, then yeah, $10 isn't that bad.

But I don't.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
You guys do **** like double ROB and double D3 when our teams called and still win, so I'm paying $10 to get basically considered a joke match in an otherwise serious tournament.
step yo game up

no but really, the point of entering a tournament is for fun and competition. If you aren't having fun competing, if you don't get something out of it, then don't enter.

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
step yo game up

no but really, the point of entering a tournament is for fun and competition. If you aren't having fun competing, if you don't get something out of it, then don't enter.
If everyone that didn't expect to place money didn't sign up, then we'd have 4 teams every tournament. Why not just make it $20 each then.

Wafles

Smash Lord
To Kennispam and Wafles,
you guys probably shouldn't enter singles too because you guys don't have a good chance to win. That kind of logic should not be exclusive to Doubles if you think that way. Doubles I think is more competitive than singles, it deserves as good as a payout as singles does. Also, do not pull this whole you win or place consistently in doubles bull, I've teamed plenty of times without placing top 3, and never said a word about the entry fee. Because it's right, if you want competition you got to throw money in the pot. Why do you guys think we all come to these things, we want to compete. It's just not the same without money involved. Why some people think that should only apply to singles is beyond me.
Because doubles has way smaller turnout, and then whenever people enter doubles they typically end up playing the same teams. I swear out of all the $10 double tourneys I've entered, I've ended up playing you and fatboy in like, the first round of winners or the second round of losers most of the time, and that's not just bad luck, that's how small the brackets are.

Kinda have to face some facts about your region here, we don't have a lot of people who enter doubles tournaments. All I'm saying is I'm done paying $10 to enter a 6 team doubles bracket, which happens at half the tourneys around here. Even if it's more competitive than singles, it doesn't mean it gets the same respect. It's unfortunate, but it is how it is.

Seriously, the only issue for me is the number of people. I'll tag along with whatever is the more popular option, because more people means more fun, at least when I don't think I've ever taken top 3 in a doubles tournament, and I have taken top 3 in singles tournaments.

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
I never said if you don't make money, don't enter. I said if you don't enjoy playing in tournament, then you should not enter.
I enjoy them, but I'm not going to pay $10 to have a little fun by playing the same teams that **** us senseless every month.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Get better then people won't beat you senseless. No johns.

Speaking of johns, I now have work johns. Since I get off work at 5 on Saturdays, I can no longer come to these. Looks like I'll only be going to Kirks and DBs.

napZzz

Smash Hero
If everyone that didn't expect to place money didn't sign up, then we'd have 4 teams every tournament. Why not just make it $20 each then.
then teams like me wouldn't even bother, the mid level who wont play high, but wont place low. You just eliminated another group of people lol

also, if everyone who "doesn't wanna sign up for a small bracket" would sign up, THERE WOULDNT BE A SMALL BRACKET

Top Bottom