• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi's defensive game

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I wanted to post something on luigi's defensive game. Alot of people say that his defensive game is poor piss as crap. I wouldn't believe that. So discuss on what luigi has in his defense.

Edit : Super edit and bumpage.

Okay so I've finally think I unlocked the key to Luigi's defensive play. It completely involves alot of mindgames, focus and patience. I'll list out the ones that people should know or still new to it.

OOS upsmash - This is his mainstay defensive OOS option. Very good from behind, can rack up damage pretty easily as well. This should be his main OOS option. If you manage to get a powershield, they'll be eating upsmash for lunch.

OOS upb - Situational but works like a charm. Works perfectly on those who lack range like Fox and Wario. With the startup inv frames, it's sexy. If you do a powershield which works perfectly on mk's shuttle loop, you get a free upb ;D

Retreating Bair/Bair camping - Bair is without doubt his best aerial. If they're on the edge, you can double Bair in a neutral position, or buffer into a Bair and repeat. This helps you zone alot on people who really suck on the edge, who rush in alot and have short range too. Retreating bairs when spaced can't be punished and just in case they power shield the first one, you can still land a second Bair if you need to.

Retreating Dairs - At first glance, this thing looks short range, but when you actually land the dam thing, it has like " wow" it has some range on it. Dair has a really unsuspecting hitbox too and sends them horizontally far. This is a really good defensive move .Dair shield pokes, retreating Dairs autocancel and lead into many things ESPICALLY fireballs which leads to my next defensive move.

Fireballs- This is without a doubt the meat of luigi's defensive and offensive game as well. Sure fireball has low priority and crappy hitstun, but you can lead into so MANY things to it. Using fireballs requires precision, mindgames, patience. If your a very good observer like me, you'll take advantage of this. People who have a hard time shielding or get hit by it and go through frustration gives you upper advantage. Now there are different kinds of fireball defensive ways that'll list them.

Retreating Dair to fireballs/Dair buffered to grounded fireballs - This has helped me SOOOO much. If you mix it up, it becomes a mindgame and even better. Retreating dair to fireball can't be punished since the dair's hitbox has unsuspecting range on it and the fireball covering the ground for you. Not to mention it'll give you a opening as well. Here's a quick vid of Theemann doing it and leading it to a opening making his oppenent eat some % combos and also leading to kills/openings @ 0:14, @ 1:06, @ 2:23

SH retreating fireballs to and/or grounded fireballs - Another effective defensive move. When luigi SHs, he can move freely in the air while throwing the fireball. Usually SH fireballs can sometimes wreck SH approachs. The grounded fireballs will have a farther distance then the retreating SH fireball you throw out. Basically same concept as last one I mentioned but really you can zone the stage like this. Buffering too helps as well.

Well hopefully I've listed out the main stay defensive tactics luigi has. Hopefully I'll be able to work on this to a further concepts of this and possibly a guide if i'm not too lazy. Tell me what you think, as this is one of the hardest challenges any luigi can pull off since he's such a aggressive offensive character who runs hot and cold all the time .

-Mars-

Smash Hero
His range pretty much holds his defensive game back. His jabs can certainly help in that area though....he doesn't really have all that much ftilt and retreating tornado maybe?

chic

Smash Ace
if im on the ropes i use my tornado more often. maybe throw in a fireball but most of the time if i'm down i just keep good spacing/fake attack/wait until they make a mistake... dunno if that answers ur question lol

CQC_SNAKE

Smash Cadet
The Traction Effect

one thing that helps him is his traction some combos that work on some characters dont work on him because he slides,for instance: i use snake and when i use the down grab and luigi used the a get up attack i sheild and he slides forward just far enough away that i cannot grab him again.Grrr luigi get some NIKE's:mad:.lol. is that good enough defencive.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Yeah Luigi's low traction helps his defensive options out a lot actually. It doesn't really let you play more defensively so much as forces you to retreat when your shield is hit... Anyway, fireballs are freaking awesome when used properly, and sometimes it is OK to tornado right through them for ~3%, just to keep your distance. Dair is great too.

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
one thing that helps him is his traction some combos that work on some characters dont work on him because he slides,for instance: i use snake and when i use the down grab and luigi used the a get up attack i sheild and he slides forward just far enough away that i cannot grab him again.Grrr luigi get some NIKE's:mad:.lol.
Lmfao.

10Nike's

Player01

Smash Journeyman
yeah i hate it when my shield is hit and i fail to power shield, it just ruins his punish game. i actually find his sliding to be a bit of a bad thing :/ despite sliding smashes.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Luigi is one of those guys who requires thinking about whenever or not to powershield, because he can slide so much. His defensive game gets bad rep because it doesn't have super spammy gimmicks, like Pit's Arrows. That's why I think Luigi is one of those characters that demands a lot from the player, because he doesn't have anything "special" going for him.

Tornado is good as said earlier, as long as you use it when chances of punishment are slim.

On a side note, a good counter attack is to shield grab without powershielding. If you are on FD, normal shield an attack and grab right after, Luigi's momentum will carry both of you a little bit closer to the edge making his bthrow more deadly. Just be careful you don't over shoot it and cancel the grab by going over the edge.

Eten

Smash Ace
Luigi's slide would have Luigi as the amazing D3 counter if it weren't for the fact that D3 does the standing infinite instead. I think it would make Luigi the only character above a lightweight that D3 couldn't chaingrab otherwise.

Although I've never had the standing infinite chaingrab happen to me. They always mess up the jab part or not enough experience vs. Luigi's or something, I don't know.

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
well d3s infinite is banned on some tourneys now so .....

crewster

Smash Lord
Luigi's defensive game isn't bad. He has his Db, that is a defensive move, good for aproching.

WIGI

Smash Champion
i had to play very defensivly against a tl. waiting for iopenings spacing with bairs, as soon as tehre was an opening i would rush in and own tho.

soccerdude7200

Smash Journeyman
ya i guess u would call bair more of a move for spacing rather than a defensive tactic.
but i guess that still is sort of playing defensively...
idk im confusing myself

kigbariom

Smash Lord
ya i guess u would call bair more of a move for spacing rather than a defensive tactic.
but i guess that still is sort of playing defensively...
idk im confusing myself
So in a real match how often and when do you use bair. Because I need to use it more...

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
i use bair a lot man most of us do it has some great range and its a good method of approaching because it allows you to space well and it can be followed by a reverse uair then fmash for a some heavy damage, and yeah i said approaching learn to rar and you will see what i mean

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
So in a real match how often and when do you use bair. Because I need to use it more...
I use Bair until the point it's hella stale. I'm so serious. Why? Bair is safe, nice spacing, damage racking, ko killer even if it's stale. When your utilt others, some will expect a barrage of upair chains, so they'll airdodge or if their like Mario or Yoshi with a good Nair, that's a good time to go for a spaced Bair. If your doing a dthrow, same situation applies to before as I said, go for that bair. Alot don't expect it all the time. Alot of the luigi's would agree I spam Bair <3

crewster

Smash Lord
luigi's offensive is better than his defensive, but hs defensive is stilll good.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
I like to spam dinner when my sword is not enough. Except sometimes my ship sails in the morning, and I'm like "wtf are all those heads?".

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Wigis, do NOT underrate the fireball. It might not have much damage or knockback, but then neither do Falco's lasers - what they DO have is the ability to interrupt, as well as minimal lag afterward. Do a fireball before everything. Wake up in the morning and spread fireballs on your waffles or whatever. Fireball before and after every attack. It sets the pace of the match.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I almost lost faith in fireballs espically for pressuring offstage :[ or getting back on stage. When Marths do their attacks and tippered, it gets canceled and I get hit :[ The irony of a low priority fireball ~.~

Retreating FFBair and/or retreating double bair is really good spacer. 90% of the time (or my expreince), you won't get punished.

WIGI

Smash Champion
spacing, sho bair towards then di away and bair again then throw fireball then keep doing that with bairs fairs and dnairs mix it up buffer som jabs i instead of reatreeating, but always stay far enough away, say like marths fmsah range away, and throw a fireball, then when their in the stun, start some more of it.

if it gets predictable and they think your going to bair again, thorw anotehr fireball. or tornade away about an inch then towards them.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
I was playing a couple of friendlies using tons of bair, it is really good. It feels like it hits every time and is good like when they try to recover, like a WOP, when they start to come back, bair, then again and agina until KO or they avoid it

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
luigi's offensive is better than his defensive, but hs defensive is stilll good.
I disagree. I think his defensive game is the same as his offensive game. Tornado can be used as an approach or a fall back. Fireballs....destroy. DO not underestimate them. I won a match with them yesterday and it was great.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
I disagree. I think his defensive game is the same as his offensive game. Tornado can be used as an approach or a fall back. Fireballs....destroy. DO not underestimate them. I won a match with them yesterday and it was great.
Couldn't agree more. Defensive Luigi is what separates the regular old Luigi mains and the ones that get somewhere.

WIGI

Smash Champion
yeah. i think i was the worst out of all the luigi ladder players for being pure offense, yeah, im good at it, but i used it against everyone. im really progressing against the tough/spammy matchups now by being defensive

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
" Bair is without doubt his best aerial"

What about neutral air?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
" Bair is without doubt his best aerial"

What about neutral air?
Neutral is either tied or just about second. but it's second IMO. Sure, neutral air is his jet li kick that combo starts, kills, has god sent priority, trades off hits, shield pokes, etc * tries to remember its other uses rofl.* But compared to that, bair's uses are far more useful. He wouldn't be able to compete in the air without range and mobility.

Magus420

Smash Master
OOS upb - Situational but works like a charm. Works perfectly on those who lack range like Fox and Wario. With the startup inv frames, it's sexy.
Anyone have an example of it demonstrating invincibility or a reliable way to reproduce it? I was not able to find any on the move at all before, at least not around and when it hits. If there is any around then it's definitely not full inv and might just be on his hand/arm or something, which isn't very useful.

Anyway, jab OoS is also good. If you're punishing something OoS with it when they are in front it's faster than the u-smash would be and can lead into more total damage or better positioning for followup depending on the situation.

Delvro

Smash Ace
I've been hit out of UpB many times (the sound effect activates, but the move does not), so if it has invincibility, it's AT MOST one frame, although I'm doubtful it's even that.

Top Bottom