• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ludington, MI - Smashing the Backstage - October 16th

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Hey all, long time no see, I doubt many of you remember me, seeing as I've only hosted small tournaments two years ago. But this year is a bit different, as now we're looking at two and a half months notice, a rather large advertising campaign(at least from what I can guess), and lastly, I'm not actually hosting it, but rather the venue itself approached me to help out with the organization.

If you like a little history, here's how this tournament started. If you don't, skip it.

So here's the gist: Backstage Hobbies and Games in Ludington is putting on a Super Smash Brothers tournament. The owner has asked me to help organize and complete the rulesets and advertise on the internet side of things. He already is having his store and soon the tournaments themselves advertised on the local radio station(WMOM) and there is a nearby Community College where there will be some advertisements, so expect local turnout to be high.

119 S. James St.
Ludington, MI, 49431
Image 1
Image 2

Time
Saturday, October 16th
Registration Starts at 10 AM
Tournament starts at 12 PM
Free play on consoles until 12 PM
Side Events After Tournament

Cost
Venue Fee - $5
Tournament Fee - $10
Side Event - $5
Nate is also throwing in a small 'Beat Miles' event for $1, where you get a small prize for beating me, which is basically everyone coming to this event from Smashboards. However, as far as Local is concerned, they have never beaten me.

Food 'n Drink
We're looking into Hungry Howies to provide free pizza.
However, Ludington is full of fast food establishments as well as numerous sit down restaurants, so I'm sure you'll find something.
Pop will be sold in Vending Machines in the Venue.

Rules
Working on a ruleset based heavily around The BBR ruleset
There will be changes to it, and when those take effect expect the rules to be here
rather than following that link.

We may still ban infinites as I'm certain some of the locals are completely unaware that they exist, and we're trying to cultivate a scene, not stifle it. However, no LGL and absolutely no stalling. Suicides kills will be decided by the winner's screen, and if need be, a 1 stock, 3 minute match.

We will be using Tio. Pools will be used for the Singles tourney, but not the Doubles.
This is subject to change, but not by much.

Housing
Ori_bro is full I believe, so as far as Friday-to-Saturday is concerned you'll have to look for a hotel.
Smashfests will be small on Friday.
While I live 30 minutes from the tournament, I doubt I'll be able to house anyone. However, anyone truly interested, PM me, and I'll see what I can do.

Side Events
Melee will be a side tournament.
A Modded Brawl will be a side tournament, or a Brawl with items.
I'll be fighting on the side in 1 dollar matches, where you'll win small prizes. What, I dunno, but this was completely Nate's idea. However, since it's my deal, I might force B+

Other systems are set off to the side for various free-play among patrons.

Lastly, this is an effort made by Backstage to open up it's doors to the more video gamer populace. As such, he's taking ideas on the tournament, such as rules and methods. It's unlikely this will be a monthly occurrence, but it is possible that it will show every 3, 6, or 12 months, depending on popularity. Other tournaments happen monthly and may include Mario Kart Double Dash!! and Modern Warfare 2. This is all tentative, as the only thing solid is that a Super Smash Brothers Brawl tournament will be happening on the sixteenth of October.

Starter
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium
Final Destination
Delfino Plaza

Counterpick
* Castle Siege
* Halberd
* Frigate Orpheon
* Brinstar
* Pictochat
* Rainbow Cruise
* Pokémon Stadium 2
* Jungle Japes
* Norfair
* Luigi's Mansion​

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
A little far from where most of MI is (Except L_Cancel), but bump for Michigan nonetheless. We'll try to figure out rides and stuff. :)

What's The Point

Smash Master
From what I know, most of the smashboard MI community don't live any more west than Ann Arbor, with a few in East Lansing and Grand Rapids.

Hopefully there are people I don't know about or lurkers who live in northern/western MI.

Also, the usual venue fee is $5 and tournament fee is $10.

Kail

Smash Lord
I remember you SuperTH and I miss you greatly. So much so, I might actually come to this to play on the melee set up alone provided someone wouldn't mind playing against me again.

For all who think they may come to this, do it. Last time I played in this area there were a bunch of really cool guys who played and it was one of the most fun I've had in a Michigan Tournament.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
I've solidified more information for you guys to check out, including costs and far more information about time and side events.

Oh man, Kail, long time no see. You bet I remember the guy who came up from GR back when all the tournaments were on just my shoulders. You're the only pro smasher I've ever faced. At least the only one who can actually beat me(handily, I might add). Yeah, I pushed Nate(the owner) to open up some Melee opportunities when I saw your post.

Oh, and by the by everyone, we may need some set ups come October. I've got four set ups for sure already, and another one which could go either way. If you could bring full set-ups(Nate expressed that TV's would not be needed, but I'm gonna ask that if you can, stick 'em in the trunk just in case) that'd be fantastic, and it would net you free entrance into one of the side events. I'll add this information to the updated OP later when we're closer to the tournament date.

Kail

Smash Lord
I wouldn't call myself pro by any means. The more melee the better since there isn't much of a smash scene in the west.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
If you do, I suggest carpool to save on gas. And/or hotel fees, considering the drive. Ludington's a nice place, I miss living there. You guys might even be around during the harvest festival, I'd have to check the local events. I know it doesn't really matter to most people, but gorram is our Cider delicious.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Hey guys, I can now safely say that Backstage Hobbies and Games will be providing Free Pizza. I'm not entirely sure you even have to pay the Venue fee to get at it, as I'm sure the locals around here that stop by everyday at the location who won't be in on the tournament will be snacking all the same. And I can confirm that setups for Melee and 64 Smash will be up and running throughout the event.

Kail, man, you were the first person I fought who knew what the hell he was doing, and you beat my paltry skill into the ground. I may be mildly better than I was, but I'm far worse in Melee than ever. Still though, you can expect me to play it when the Brawl matches are going on. While Nate has told me that I can play in the tournament, this is his first one and I'm certain he's gonna need help running it.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
You should consider doing pools -> bracket, even if the turnout isnt high (everyone would make it into bracket, pools for seeding purposes)

Anywho, I'll try to make it to this

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
I've discussed it with Nate, the owner, and he seems to believe Time would be a problem. I'm continuing to speak with him, and believe pools to brackets is a fine idea, but he's rather fond of the Swiss system he's been using. We've got two months to deliberate over it, so I'll keep you guys posted.

Now why doesn't anyone care that I'm not on Skype...

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I've discussed it with Nate, the owner, and he seems to believe Time would be a problem. I'm continuing to speak with him, and believe pools to brackets is a fine idea, but he's rather fond of the Swiss system he's been using. We've got two months to deliberate over it, so I'll keep you guys posted.

Now why doesn't anyone care that I'm not on Skype...
The problem is time when he's running swiss? lol
Not that I have a problem, since swiss is a format I like, but that seems kind of contradictory.

Tewx2

Smash Ace
Can someone give me a more in-depth version of Swiss.

Also there is no real Brawl+ scene in MI. Go for Brawl- instead.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Basically first pairings are random or based on prior seeding. Depending on your set, you get a certain number of points... let's say, for example, 3 for 2-0, 2 for 2-1, 1 for bye, 0 for 1-2 or 0-2. Then each round after that pairs the people closest in points with each other, and this goes on for 3-5 rounds until there's a definite top 4/top 8 people, who play in a bracket.

Tewx2

Smash Ace
So like basically uber pools?

I like the idea, but can't see this being less time consuming than pools>Bracket.

Hype for Minus over Plus

D

Deleted member

No ride + over 2 hours to get there means I'm probably not going to this. :[

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
I've barely touched Minus, so you'll have to give me a rundown as to how often it's codesets are updated. I chose Brawl+ due to my familiarity with the system(Me 'n the locals seem to love it) and that it's got a stable release right now, but I know there is some big support for the Brawl- community.

But yeah, about the Swiss, I want to talk him down back to Double Elimination because I think he's grossly misunderestimating how much time this is going to take for just a single set. But we have a long time to go yet, so that's why it's good to start talking about this ahead of schedule.

...As far as distance is concerned, you'll find driving outside of SE MI to be a lot more open out here. We're simple folk, and long hours of driving around these parts of Michigan actually don't grind on my nerves nearly as much as most people. Maybe that's just me though, I am pretty mellow. Hah. But seriously, I've drivin' to Chicago twice this month and - outside of gas(I recommend Carpooling) - it's pretty serene driving once you get out of bigger cities.

Also, goddy, perhaps there are other Smashers heading out from Lansing you can go with? I think 'What's the Point' is in your area.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
A number of you guys who are interested live in the same geographical area, so it's not too much of a stretch to actually have a bit of a 'party bus'.

Also, I checked out the remodel of the Backstage today, and it's a pretty nice space now. It looks a little small because there are a ton of tables around, blocking off a lot of area as they're in lines for the more Tabletop gaming that Backstage has up until now focused on, but the day of the tournament will see this space open up as the tables will be moved.

And to reply to 'BigDaddy4', coming out to a Smash Tournament could help cultivate the Smash Scene around here and help it grow substantially. There hasn't been much effort to do so and this is the first big push. So instead of trying to knock it, please try to help it along it's way. We'll never be as big as the Detroit area, but we can at least grow some competition out here.

Top Bottom