• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina Thread [Closing]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
A female clone of Marth, where everybody will confuse her for Marth and vice-versa? No thanks.
This only really applies to Marths Awakening DLC appearence. Fe1, Fe3, Fe11, Fe12 and Smash designs are different enough not to cause confusion.

Besides, Chrom seem more likely, because he's the main character.
And Lucina has IS using her as Awakening's poster girl now everywhere has the game, like just her on the Soundtrack and Knight's of Iris cover.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
- You've never heard of the criticisms for the Marth/Lucina similarities?
- Just because YOU want Roy gone forever, doesn't mean EVERYBODY else does.
- Fire Emblem may get three, but no more. Marth, Ike, and Roy are the best options because they are the most recognizable. Sakurai doesn't please the Fire Emblem fans, but the Smashverse instead.
- Refer to the above.
- Whatever the case, they aren't as recognizable to the Smashverse, who would rather prefer Ike and Roy anyways.
- Surely you can't be serious. Anyone who supports Lucina practically gets the Female Marth bit shoved down their throat.
- Did I say everyone wants Roy gone? (Hint: Nope)
- Sakurai will choose whoever he feels is worthy, be it unique, popular, etc. Basically, its ultimately up to him, not us. Gaius could be the most recognizable FE character, doesn't mean hes getting into Smash.
- Refer to the above
- Source? Not that it really matters, I'm damn sure that Game and Watch, R.O.B, and Miss Fit weren't recognizable to the Smash fanbase.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
A female clone of Marth, where everybody will confuse her for Marth and vice-versa? No thanks. Just stick with what we have. No need for anymore Fire Emblem characters, unless you either want Ike removed or (a de-cloned) Roy unable to return. And for what, female Marth? Let's just keep the fans happy with what we got, and let other newcomers show up instead.

Besides, Chrom seem more likely, because he's the main character. :ohwell:
In response to her as a female clone of Marth:
The main thing that works against her in terms of her design (her similarity to Marth) doesn't really. The Marth Design from Awakening was designed to make him look more like Lucina, not the other way around. Lucina wears a darker blue than Marth. She lacks his shoulders and shoulder guards, is shorter, long hair, etc. They really don't look alike when standing next to each other; they shared a resemblance for the purpose of the game. Additionally, the characters are presented in their style of game traditionally with minor changes, so I believe she would look similar to her in game art style (plus feet of course) and her artwork, which is much different than the series has been presented in the past.

Her attacks would also be different because Nintendo has used the same attacks for Fire Emblem characters as they do in their games, for the most part as a basis for their fighting style. Lucina has different attacks, moves, and stance. She uses a two handed stance that utilizes stabbing maneuvers, different that every other FE lord (Marth's model is a copy of hers in Awakening). If you played Marth's game, you know how he fights. Lucina fights in different stance so if you are playing the game, it would be hard to confuse this:

For this:

If you need anymore proof, I suggest just taking a look
Marth

Lucina

In terms of being a main character, there are three main characters in Awakening: Robin, Lucina, and Chrom, who all serve important roles in the storyline, similar to FE7's three lords. Hence, they are all present at the end of the game's intro. Lucina isn't forced to be chosen because she comes at the level of the rest of her generation (the generation she comes up with), and thus a lower level than you are at that point in the game. She, as well as Robin, still trigger special conversations against commanders like Grima. Her death doesn't result in a game over because like other females in the game, they don't die but retreat.

And as previously stated, she has been the chosen character to promote the game in appearances such as the soundtrack and artbook. In things like the game cover, Chrom shares central figure cover duties with "Marth."

In other news, I am going to be making a new moveset for Lucina with both a two handed and one handed fighting stances in which she can switch between as per the fighting game archetype "stance user" in ManlySpirit's archetype thread

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I would much rather have Lucina than Chrom, but then again I would much rather have Anna than Lucina. You guys are a close second in my conflicted heart of hearts while I try to sort out the rest of my priorities for a 3rd FE rep.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Lucina is my favorite character from awakening so I am definitely supportive of her. Though I like her more then Chrom I just want to see someone from awakening in there.

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
Lucina would be an even WORSE clone of Marth than Roy. ROY, of all people! :urg: How can a casual player (because they are part of the fanbase, like it or not) look at Marth and Lucina and not think "LOL they must be brothers and sisters" or "ROFL they must be lovers"? The mass confusion over Marth's gender (******? :confused:), the very similar appearances of Marth and Lucina, and the overall lack of differences between the two are noticeable. Ax Lucina off, and either replace her with Crhom, OR BETTER YET just keep Marth and Ike, return Roy, and everybody stays happy.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I don't follow, what would make her worse if she were a clone then Roy outside of what you were saying about people being stupid about it which is pretty much unavoidable with just about anything.

It's fine if you don't like the character or how she would play, but you aren't really giving those kind of reasons.

TheDivineDeity

Just because you don't "follow" an argument, it doesn't mean its flawed or its bad. All I'm saying is Lucia has far too many similarities to Marth to be not noticed. Even if she has an entirely different moveset, she will still be nothing more than Marth with **** (unless Marth IS a girl...).

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Lucina would be an even WORSE clone of Marth than Roy. ROY, of all people! :urg: How can a casual player (because they are part of the fanbase, like it or not) look at Marth and Lucina and not think "LOL they must be brothers and sisters" or "ROFL they must be lovers"? The mass confusion over Marth's gender (******? :confused:), the very similar appearances of Marth and Lucina, and the overall lack of differences between the two are noticeable. Ax Lucina off, and either replace her with Crhom, OR BETTER YET just keep Marth and Ike, return Roy, and everybody stays happy.
You should not use the term ******. It's disrespectful to transgender individuals. In terms of clones, there is nothing within the game that suggest she fights like Marth does in his games, so there would be no reason that she would need to be a clone. And I'm assuming a casual player will player will play the game and find out what the different is if they read the trophies or gooogle their names. I don't think there is real confusion among anyone who plays the game about Marth's gender. He clearly sounds like a man. People's gender condusion is more of a joke, and a bad one at that. The similarities between Marth and Lucina aren't that close as long Marth keeps his Brawl or DS design rather using the Awakening design that was made to look like Lucina. The two hair colors are actually a very different shade of blue. The armor they wear is different, and are two very different blues. The two are probably even a different height considering the official game art depicts Lucina shorter than Chrom, while Marth is clearly a tall character.

TheDivineDeity

Once again, the blue-blooded liberal media silences the opposition. Whatever ever happened to freedom of speech, where we could say whatever we wanted and have our voices heard? It's an American principle of our democracy, so why would you insist on destroying the pillars to that foundation. I say what I want, and if it offends people, well too bad, because the truth hurts, doesn't it? :smirk:

Still, Marth and Lucina are far too similar to each other to make a difference between themselves. WHY ELSE would the "gender jokes" be so prominent in the memebase of Fire Emblem? Having Lucina with Marth in the game WORSENS this situation. Besides, having two blue-haired, similarly dressed, sword-wielding fighters is REDUNDANT. At least Chrom looks a little unique, compared to Marth, even if only a little... Lucina adds nothing.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I'm not a member of the liberal media, but I was just letting you know what the term "******" can mean to others. I wasn't sure if you were aware. Of course you're free to use it. The sky is also blue too.

What matters in fighting game is how they fight. And Lucina fights differently than Marth. That's what she adds.

Hong

The Strongest
I agree with Jay in regards to the "******" remark. While you are welcome to argue Lucina's credibility as a character, we don't take kindly to derogatory remarks.

Anyways, that aside, I don't think anyone in Asia got Marth's gender wrong. I was really weirded out and surprised to hear those jokes cracked around the early days of Melee here in Canada. I don't think arbitrary gender binary and expectations in some regions or another has any importance in character selection in any form. As far Lucina's design, while the concept art Jay posted doesn't show it well, her armour is quite different from Marth. If that is not enough, they could use her Great Lord design, she would be even more heavily armoured.

Should also be mentioned that she has access to the heavier weapon class in the lance, suitable for her stronger physique. She has some grace and agility like traditional lords, yet she has some elements of general robustness from the Ike era, though not as much as Chrom. The new Falchion is a noticeably heavier blade and she uses heavier strikes as a result.

I mean gosh, I would say the distinction between Lucina and Marth is exceeds that of Wario and Luigi. The fact that her outfit pays homage to Marth but at the same time is not identical, in my opinion, only adds intrigue. Lucina never wore the outfit to have anyone believe she was the exact hero of legend, so much as took up the name and similar attire in tribute to the hero, descending from the first exalt. I don't see how it has to be an issue going in Super Smash Bros.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Freedom of speech doesn't prevent other from criticizing your speech either.

Your argument assumes a number of different things, first of all it assume that Marth is a guarantee entree into the new game, yes there is a strong argument that it is very unlikely he would not be included, but until that's confirm it's still speculation at best. Second it's focuses heavily upon the fact that people are stupid and will make dumb jokes or dumb statements, this is the reality of the internet whether you may go, it doesn't make a compelling argument when discussing a subject like this. Lastly, it's not address Lucina as a character herself or gameplay aspects outside of her physical appearance to another character, which doesn't even matter even from a design aspect like you could argue with some character because she is similar to other humanoid characters because she's a human character or the fact that similar appearing characters have been used since Melee with slight changes.

TheDivineDeity

Is everybody a liberal or homosexual around here? Am I just going to silence my opinion because other people don't like it?

I agree that if Lucina and Marth look as they did in that photo, it would work. But imagine how many people may still be confused by their relationship. I mean, I know almost NOTHING about Fire Emblem, but if I'm a casual player looking at them, I make unwarranted assumptions. That said, I guess Lucina can actually work, given that different attire and moveset, but I still feel Chrom has higher priority.

Chido72

Smash Cadet
No, you shouldn't silence your opinion because other people don't like it, you should keep your opinion to yourself or try not to be offensive about it.

The reason that Lucina would get in over Chrom (assuming Marth and Ike stay which they probably will) is because they could turn it into a Star Fox trio kind of thing, except with more diverse movesets. With Lucina, you have an agile but slightly weaker character alongside Marth, the balanced one and Ike, the heavy one. The problem with Chrom is that he would most likely play exactly like Marth or Ike, and IMO, new characters prioritize over potential clones.
Also, it's an excuse to balance out the gender-ratio, which is nice.

Hong

The Strongest
Is everybody a liberal or homosexual around here?
I stand by all fronts of human rights even though 95% of them don't affect me, including your right to speak. I am not out there in life to just care about my own hide.

I agree that if Lucina and Marth look as they did in that photo, it would work. But imagine how many people may still be confused by their relationship. I mean, I know almost NOTHING about Fire Emblem, but if I'm a casual player looking at them, I make unwarranted assumptions. That said, I guess Lucina can actually work, given that different attire and moveset, but I still feel Chrom has higher priority.
I think everyone here agrees that Chrom is the most likely character to join the roster. Furthermore, I would say the majority of us would be very happy to see how Chrom plays out. If I were to list my favourite Awakening characters, Chrom would be in the top five. That said, many of us like Lucina more or feel she could bring more to the roster, much like you would rather see Chrom. And that's okay. That's what the character board is about.

Because Fire Emblem is not exactly a Nintendo mainstay, of course some people will be confused. But then again, how many people outside of Japan asked if Marth and Roy were brothers? How about Marth and Ike? They both have blue hair and are from "that Fire Emblem game", right? What I am saying is that non-staple characters are always going to require trophy reading or explanations to understand who they are, so I don't see how this matters.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Silence you? That's quite a bit twisting words around, it's not like any of us have the power to censor you or delete your posts. You gave an opinion and viewpoint and people countered it. It's kind of how these type of things work, it's not trying to silence you because you don't like being called out on it.

As far as Chrom having a higher priority that's also debatable due to both characters been quite popular in general and it could go either way in that and I would be happy with either result. The only thing we know is a stage directly from Awakening was introduced the possible of at least one character from that game being more likely, that's pretty much all, the rest is just fun, speculation, and hopefulness. Which is why you see threads for character that are even less likely then what we are discussing here.

D

Deleted member

The way I see Chrom vs. Lucina, it's all a matter of who Sakurai sees best fit. If he feels either fit at all.

All the requests in the world won't do Chrom any good if Sakurai doesn't see anything he can do with him (which remains to be seen).

And if he goes to IS for a suggestion, they could easily suggest Lucina due to her overall higher degree of popularity and marketability.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
you don't need to be a liberal or homosexual to understand how to be a decent person and know that certain language, while you have a right to say it, can be seen as offensive to others and opens you to criticism. As Dragonhikari said, freedom of speech does not free you from your speech from being criticized from others.

Back to Lucina. I've actually taken quite the liking to Chrom as a result of my presence on his board, so I would not mind his inclusion over Lucina. I'm really in favor of awakening rep though for the third FE rep. After all this Lucina talk, I'm gonna try my hand at some Lucina fan art. Anyone have any ideas for cool fan art?

Hong

The Strongest
While I have seen it a few times, I have yet to see someone capture her victory pose well. :/

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I think everyone here agrees that Chrom is the most likely character to join the roster.

I don't agree. In fact, I think Lucina is more likely than Chrom. I actually think the Avatar is likely also. Not sure if this has all been stated or noted here, but this is based on statements from the Developers and the relationship between Sakurai and Intelligent Systems.

-During a developer interview, the Nintendo director of Fire Emblem Awakening, Genki Yokota, stated that his favorite character was Lucina.
-In stated interview, he also mentioned that Lucina was one of the characters that made it from some of the very early concepts of the game.
-Lucina/"Marth" continues to top the character popularity polls among Fire Emblem fans in multiple regions (if not all, I'm not entirely sure).
-She was given that fan-service DLC Spa of Bonds thing for the most popular child characters (Yes, I know Chrom was in the parent one).

You may say, Oh, Yokota also stated that this was the first time being directly involved with the Fire Emblem series (he directed Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, etc.), so maybe he doesn't have as much pull.. So maybe we won't get a decision from the Nintendo side, maybe it will come from the Intelligent Systems side.

The Intelligent Systems director for the game, Kouhei Maeda, stated that his favorite character story-line wise was the Avatar character. Important to note here is that Maeda also served as director for Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsurugi/Binding Blade.. which Roy is also the main character of. We all saw what happened in Melee.

So, based on the higher ups here, we might say that Chrom is not necessarily the most likely character. I'm not discounting anything that he has going for him (story-line importance, popularity, etc), but I'm saying that you can't necessarily call him the most likely because I don't believe that he is. It's up to Sakurai and Nintendo/Intelligent Systems to decide who he thinks is the best character. Given that Sakurai went to IS to get a character for Brawl and got Ike, I believe that we may end up with one of these two characters. That or we'll just go with the general developer favorite character of Tharja. Whatevs.

Here's the link to the interview:
http://fireemblem.nintendo.com/developer-interview/

Hong

The Strongest
I acknowledge all of that, though I always felt just being the "mainest main character" and still being pretty popular, as simplistic as it sounds, made Chrom the most likely. You are right in that it depends on how they develop the game and how the rest of the roster looks like. Depending on what they arrive at, all three of them have reasonings for being chosen. It is all opinion of course. I shouldn't say "everyone agrees", but I did make a very deliberate point to put "I think" before that because I know there are at least a few people who beg to differ. :b

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Fair enough. I've been meaning to post that in here for a while, so when I read what you wrote, I really just used it as an excuse to post it. ^_^

I'm also incredibly biased because Lucina became my favorite character after playing FE Awakening haha.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I'll be awaiting this announcement, since I generally main Fire Emblem characters and since my top desire character already got in, I'll be watching this one carefully. Only way it would entirely upset me is if either of them made it in, though that would be kind of awkward lol.

Hong

The Strongest
Fair enough. I've been meaning to post that in here for a while, so when I read what you wrote, I really just used it as an excuse to post it. ^_^

I'm also incredibly biased because Lucina became my favorite character after playing FE Awakening haha.
I like Lucina as well. ^~^ My top five would look like:

1) Lucina
2) Chrom
3) Brady
4) Gaius
5) Cynthia

Honourable mentions go to Gerome because I can't help but enjoy a nice emo *****.

With a case like Chrom, it is not just his looks or personality, so much a large part because after playing for a while you just can't help but laugh. Laugh at how the wind just seems to magically obey his desire for drama, or how he seems to put the sword back in the ground like 2356907 times on the enemy phase for a good part of the game. it is as if he just hates the carpet or something.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
I want Lucina so hard but I can't help but think that Marth's design is just gonna be altered to pay her homage instead. In terms of marketability, they get to have the whole LucinaX"Marth" promotion for Awakening while keeping the long standing and popular Marth. Two birds, baby.

Spears In Smash Bros.

Smash Journeyman
I want Lucina so hard but I can't help but think that Marth's design is just gonna be altered to pay her homage instead. In terms of marketability, they get to have the whole LucinaX"Marth" promotion for Awakening while keeping the long standing and popular Marth. Two birds, baby.
It would just feel really lazy if they did that. It would be worse than if they had no Awakening rep at all IMO.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I don't think that's likely because Sakurai seems pretty keen on presenting characters how they look in their own game. Just look at Mega Man.

TheDivineDeity

Are we seriously talking about the Brady Bunch in this thread...

Other than that, if Sakurai is going to pick ANY character, it's going to be the main character. Not the supporting characters. Not the main villains. Not the representational mascots like Slimes and Chozos. THE MAIN CHARACTER is what Sakurai is going to use. Chrom IS a main character, Lucia ISN'T.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Are we seriously talking about the Brady Bunch in this thread...

Other than that, if Sakurai is going to pick ANY character, it's going to be the main character. Not the supporting characters. Not the main villains. Not the representational mascots like Slimes and Chozos. THE MAIN CHARACTER is what Sakurai is going to use. Chrom IS a main character, Lucia ISN'T.
In normal situations this would be correct, however Awakening's story structure is really split three difference directions focus on Chrom, the Avatar, and Lucina as the general focus and who's motivations the story is driven by in one form or another. There is not evidence to indicate that this is an absolute requirement in a decision outside of assumptions. Which everything in this thread pretty much is in one form or another.

Brady is a different character from Awakening and was only comment by someone that likes the character.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The problem I have with Lucina is that she is irrefutably incredibly similar to Marth. From the perspective of the players, it might be difficult to keep track of which character is which.

Saying Lucina wouldn't be a clone but Chrom would be is a bit far fetched too. If anything, Lucina being the most simialr to Marth puts her in the position to be the clone out of any of them. Chrom is distinctly different looking from the other two besides the hair. I honestly viewed the trio as Marth being fast, Chrom being middle ground, and Ike being slow and strong.

Popularity and recognition are absolutely important, but what also must be considered is the transition to Smash. Lucina is so closely identical to another character (who is NOT going to be replaced btw), that it, to me, would seem redundant. Before somebody uses an argument like, "Mario and Luigi are really close to one another, are they redundant?", that is a completely different case. Mario and Luigi basically ARE Nintendo. Fire Emblem is a completely different case from Mario.

I like Lucina as a character, but I don't see her translating all that well into Smash.

@tomic

Smash Apprentice
n are absolutely important, but what also must be considered is the transition to Smash. Lucina is so closely identical to another character (who is NOT going to be replaced btw), that it, to me, would seem redundant. Before somebody uses an argument like, "Mario and Luigi are really close to one another, are they redundant?", that is a completely different case. Mario and Luigi basically ARE Nintendo. Fire Emblem is a completely different case from Mario.

Well there's also been Roy/Marth, Fox/Falco and even Cpt. Falcon/Ganondorf which doesn't even make any sense. Each pair plays similarly with some tweaks here and there to distinguish them. Lucina could work the same way. And if they want to further distinguish her from Marth they can work her lance into her moveset (she can use lances once she becomes a Great Lord) or even borrow from other classes that she can potentially go into (which is technically all classes available to females if the Avatar is the mother).

The cool thing about potential Awakening characters in Smash is that the re-classing system gives them a very wide pool of viable moveset options.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well there's also been Roy/Marth, Fox/Falco and even Cpt. Falcon/Ganondorf which doesn't even make any sense. Each pair plays similarly with some tweaks here and there to distinguish them. Lucina could work the same way. And if they want to further distinguish her from Marth they can work her lance into her moveset (she can use lances once she becomes a Great Lord) or even borrow from other classes that she can potentially go into (which is technically all classes available to females if the Avatar is the mother).

The cool thing about potential Awakening characters in Smash is that the re-classing system gives them a very wide pool of viable moveset options.
That isn't what I mean. Lucina's appearance is what makes her so similar to Marth. Not the moveset. Fox and Falco are distinguishable. Roy and Marth are distinguishable. Falcon and Ganondorf are distinguishable from one another. Lucina and Marth look I would say 90% alike besides a few minor details.

As far as Lucina using her lance, Chrom can do this as well, and looks far more unique among the other two compared to Lucina. So giving Lucina a lance wouldn't make a difference in all honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom