• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Lucina Question and Answer Thread

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
What I mean is that why is Lucina inferior to Marth at high level play when I have seen a handful of people say that his tipper mechanic only ends up hindering him and she can't play properly at the same level because she lacks sweetspots in her attacks when this is exactly what hinders Marth?
idk ive never heard that....maybe because he neeeds a tipper to kill otherwise opponents can just live forever. So in a sense it's high risk high reward. Sure if you can space well you're good but you'd have to be a genius to be able to space consistently at that level especially against characters like shiek with so much more mobility imo.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
idk ive never heard that....maybe because he neeeds a tipper to kill otherwise opponents can just live forever. So in a sense it's high risk high reward. Sure if you can space well you're good but you'd have to be a genius to be able to space consistently at that level especially against characters like shiek with so much more mobility imo.
Exactly, CherubiKnighT has shown you can do pretty good things with her even if she has no sweetspots.

Jaypen7

Smash Cadet
What I mean is that why is Lucina inferior to Marth at high level play when I have seen a handful of people say that his tipper mechanic only ends up hindering him and she can't play properly at the same level because she lacks sweetspots in her attacks when this is exactly what hinders Marth?
Oooh I get what you mean now. It kinda goes back and forth because in some situations i think Marth would do better than Lucina because of his sweetspot in some matchups but in others Lucina would do better because of her lack of sweetspots. I.E. Marth would do better against Roy than Lucina would because he has slightly more range and he would need to keep Roy at tipper range anyways so might as well take advantage of that. Lucina would be better going up against Captain Falcon because he would've been able to get into Marth's sourspot kinda easily since he's quick whereas Lucina doesn't have a sweetspot so even damage and knockback throughout the entire blade

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
There's sort of a herd-mind kind of thing on as far as who's better, and the opinion swings heavily in the favor of one character based on the level of play. Low-level players think that Lucina is better because she's more consistent, whereas a more mid-leverk player would argue that with enough skill a Marth should still be getting tippers consistently (I admittedly used to be a part of this group). While this is true to an extent, once you get to high level play it becomes more apparent that it isn't so much in the ways that really matter (i.e. securing kills with fsmash, the most dangerous punish tool on either character).

Ultimately, one isn't strictly better than the other. It depends on the matchup, and probably the player to some degree. It comes down to a pretty simple question- "can you get a tipper Fsmash on x character with some level of consistency?" if you're not confident enough in your ability to do that, Lucina is more likely than not the better pick. Feel free to correct me on that, though.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
There's sort of a herd-mind kind of thing on as far as who's better, and the opinion swings heavily in the favor of one character based on the level of play. Low-level players think that Lucina is better because she's more consistent, whereas a more mid-leverk player would argue that with enough skill a Marth should still be getting tippers consistently (I admittedly used to be a part of this group). While this is true to an extent, once you get to high level play it becomes more apparent that it isn't so much in the ways that really matter (i.e. securing kills with fsmash, the most dangerous punish tool on either character).

Ultimately, one isn't strictly better than the other. It depends on the matchup, and probably the player to some degree. It comes down to a pretty simple question- "can you get a tipper Fsmash on x character with some level of consistency?" if you're not confident enough in your ability to do that, Lucina is more likely than not the better pick. Feel free to correct me on that, though.
One of the reasons I prefer Lucina over Marth is because aside I took a liking to her character, a lot and I mean a lot of players I play against love to use Mario, Sonic, Pikachu, Captain Falcon etc, and as you know Marth suffers in these MU, whereas Lucina can at least fend off more consistently and properly.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
I actually know a Pikachu/Marth duo where the Marth generally wins. Apparently it's not too hard to properly time a on tipper the little rat's QA approaches if you can guess where he's going.

That could be an isolated case, but of course... then it goes back to it depending on the player lol.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
With the recent patch and the crazy buffs Lucina received I was wondering if anyone else thinks shes actually a decent if not good choice for tournament play. While she doesnt kill as early as Marth shes still a force to be reckoned with imo. I was just wondering what everyone else thought.

Jaypen7

Smash Cadet
People say she's pretty much pre-buff Marth who was already pretty decent. Thanks to these buffs though, our jab setups are a lot better for us, our edge-guarding is a lot more dangerous since we can kill at like 90-100 with an offstage fair, d-smash isn't useless anymore since its a lot quicker along with u-tilt and f-tilit I think, and we got pretty big range increases. Lucina's a mid or low-mid character now in my opinion.

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
People say she's pretty much pre-buff Marth who was already pretty decent. Thanks to these buffs though, our jab setups are a lot better for us, our edge-guarding is a lot more dangerous since we can kill at like 90-100 with an offstage fair, d-smash isn't useless anymore since its a lot quicker along with u-tilt and f-tilit I think, and we got pretty big range increases. Lucina's a mid or low-mid character now in my opinion.
I'm thinking slightly above average tbh, it was hard to beat a good Marth/Lucina's air game without using a character that outranged them (like sheik for some stupid ass reason) but now that they have one of the biggest disjoints while also having low startup and low end lag it just makes it even harder without using a character like Cloud. They're also got even better at gimping than they already we're, offstage is the last place you want to be unless you're pikachu or metaknight and counter can ruin someones day offstage

Jaypen7

Smash Cadet
I'm thinking slightly above average tbh, it was hard to beat a good Marth/Lucina's air game without using a character that outranged them (like sheik for some stupid *** reason) but now that they have one of the biggest disjoints while also having low startup and low end lag it just makes it even harder without using a character like Cloud. They're also got even better at gimping than they already we're, offstage is the last place you want to be unless you're pikachu or metaknight and counter can ruin someones day offstage
It depends on what you would call average though. Would she be a better character than Link, Falco, Lucario, Mewtwo, etc? Maybe is what I would say. But I will say, I do strongly believe Lucina does win the match-up against the Mario bros though, which is really something worth noting.

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
It depends on what you would call average though. Would she be a better character than Link, Falco, Lucario, Mewtwo, etc? Maybe is what I would say. But I will say, I do strongly believe Lucina does win the match-up against the Mario bros though, which is really something worth noting.
Tbh characters around her level don't really have refined positions, its mostly matchup dependent. Like link does extremely well against bayonetta just because he can camp the living hell out of her and then kill her at like 100 with a bomb conversion at the ledge. Mewtwo has great kill power, a decent combo game, and does surprisingly well against Sheik because hes nearly impossible to gimp and has can actually challenge Sheiks aerials with his own which is something most characters can't do, like his big meaty claw 6 frame fair that outranges Sheiks 5 frame 5% ***** slap, also he makes her 50/50 a lot harder with his air speed/floatyness. Lucina is no exception but shes notable for doing well against characters that HAVE to get in to do damage so she can actually challenge some high tiers like Ryu and sometimes Rosalina because she can get rid of luma pretty well so I put her a bit above the others

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I have this simple question:
How many frames of lineancy do I have to B-Reverse Lucina's Shield Breaker? I tried testing it on 1/4x speed and it seriously looked like it was only a frame.

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
Is approaching by walking and using jab combos (like jab > utilt > uair) a good idea?

Jaypen7

Smash Cadet
Is approaching by walking and using jab combos (like jab > utilt > uair) a good idea?
I don't think approaching with jab is a great idea but it is pretty good in the neutral. I don't even think we're supposed to approach that much(maybe with a Nair).

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I have this simple question:
How many frames of lineancy do I have to B-Reverse Lucina's Shield Breaker? I tried testing it on 1/4x speed and it seriously looked like it was only a frame.
Are you talking about grounded B-Reversal or Aerial?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Obviously Fsmash doesn't spike. There are no hitboxes that launch at anything but the sakurai angle.

FamilyTeam FamilyTeam Ask that in this thread, there's lots of smart guys there. The thing is, B-reverse timings are most likely exactly the same for all specials so the M&T thread is a great place to go for a question like this.

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
So how do you go about the Ike and Cloud MUs?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
So how do you go about the Ike and Cloud MUs?
What are you having trouble with specifically? While I mostly use Marth these days, the match-up is played pretty similarly for both. I fought a good Ike yesterday in bracket and it came down to patience and spacing as any true swordsmen would battle. With Ike you have to be careful against his up-throw follow ups and good d-tilt use from them. Both can lead to good damage and in the case of U-throw, it can be a kill setup if you opt for the wrong option and Ike makes the correct read. But yes, a particular scenario you are having trouble with would be good. As for Cloud, I still have a lot of difficulty on it myself :S

Nah

Smash Champion
What are you having trouble with specifically? While I mostly use Marth these days, the match-up is played pretty similarly for both. I fought a good Ike yesterday in bracket and it came down to patience and spacing as any true swordsmen would battle. With Ike you have to be careful against his up-throw follow ups and good d-tilt use from them. Both can lead to good damage and in the case of U-throw, it can be a kill setup if you opt for the wrong option and Ike makes the correct read. But yes, a particular scenario you are having trouble with would be good. As for Cloud, I still have a lot of difficulty on it myself :S
It's kind of that I'm not sure how to deal with him having more range+disjoint than me.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Who are Marth and Lucina's worst matchups?

Out of the characters I use (Ike, Cloud, Mario) and secondaries (Roy, Fox, Mega Man, Link), I feel Ike and Mega Man are the only ones who to even, with them having advantage over the rest.

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
Hi. I am a new Lucina main. I hope I will be able to meet you guys. :)

Anyways, my question is:

Who is the best Lucina player in the world? There are barely any Lucina players at a high level, so I was hoping that someone could help answer my question.

Thanks! :D

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
Hi. I am a new Lucina main. I hope I will be able to meet you guys. :)

Anyways, my question is:

Who is the best Lucina player in the world? There are barely any Lucina players at a high level, so I was hoping that someone could help answer my question.

Thanks! :D
Welcome to the Lucina boards! We hope you enjoy the character :)

As for the best lucina player in the world, it's c-lu iirc.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey dudes, I'm trying to collect a bunch of quick easy info graphics on essential character knowledge to make a quick reference guide for commentators (we all hate it when a commentator says something that is wrong)
This shulk thing here is an example of the kinda stuff I am looking for

I'm going around to all the character boards and it'll be a little messy for me to try and check them all, so if you have any cool things like that, or just some useful info that I could turn into a similar picture, please send me a message. Cheers lads.

Illusions

Smash Cadet
NNID
minnievanilly
3DS FC
0345-0482-7374
I'm thinking that I want to start using Lucina (and Marth) as my secondary. I have used her a couple of times to get a feel for the character. However, I don't really know where to start. What are some of the essential things I should start practising first, like useful combos and such?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Lucina doesn't have many combos, but her strings are quite useful and powerful despite not being guaranteed.
Most of her combos and followups you can either get the gist of on Training mode, against low-level CPUs, or simply by observing how far does the opponent go when yo hit them.

Anyway, the fist and most important thing to learn in her range. She doesn't have a tipper mechanic, but you still want to keep your opponents at max spacing whenever possible. Her bonus is that Lucina's whole blade is dangerous, even up close, so opponents need to get around it entirely to be safe.

And then patience. Frame-wise, they are slow and relatively unsafe, so you need to be patient to know when to strike.

That would be the basics I believe.
:196:

Halcy0n

Smash Cadet
Does Lucina have to play the spacing game like Marth? Even though she has no tipper.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Does Lucina have to play the spacing game like Marth? Even though she has no tipper.
Yes, but it's not as critical. With Lucina it's usually better to hit with the part of your sword that would be just barely inside the range of Marth's tipper. You hit a lot more often that way.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Having a sword and disjoints means that your main goal is to put the sword in positions where the opponent can't reach you through it. That means that generally you want to put your opponents at max distance from your sword's reach to make it difficult for them to approach.
So, yes, you generally want to play the spacing game.
:196:

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
I have yet to see a reliable MU chart for :4lucina:, or even :4marth:for that matter. Therefore, I shall ask this here: What are :4lucina:'s worst matchups? I'm looking for a secondary/co-main, and since I can't seem to figure out which I prefer, I thought it best to see which character helps cover more ground...so to speak. I hope to figure this out before my first local, so any and all help is greatly appreciated.

DMan64

Smash Cadet
I'm looking to pick up Lucina to act as a co-main or secondary with my Corrin. What would you say is the most important thing to learn while playing Lucina first, and what's exclusive to Lucina that Marth can't do(tech, combos, etc)?

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
DMan64 DMan64
Learn to space her moves as close to the tip as possible, and then learn how to use that spacing to pressure safely and combo whenever needed.
As for Lucina exclusive stuff: Mostly stuff out of sliding Jab. Setups like Jab>Dolphin Slash are much better for her since the way her Jab works + the slide that she has that Marth doesn't makes it work more reliably and for longer for her.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Whatever matchups you personally are lacking in.
The reason why there's no agreed upon MU chart for Marcina is that their bad matchups are more determined by how you play them than anything else.

Top Bottom