• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Lucina Question and Answer Thread

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
Fully charged Shield Breaker does 23%, and kills Mario at 49% in training from his starting position on FD.
Fully charged f-smash does 21%, and kills from 58%.
So for punishing broken shields, Shield Breaker is your best option.

I've been looking up answers all morning at work. Has it been calculated how much shield damage SB does? Tap? Half? How does it compare to Marth's?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I've been looking up answers all morning at work. Has it been calculated how much shield damage SB does? Tap? Half? How does it compare to Marth's?
1.04 Uncharged
Hex: 0x1E
Decimal: 30

1.04 Fully Charged
Hex: 0x32
Decimal: 50

Last edited:

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
1.04 Uncharged
Hex: 0x1E
Decimal: 30

1.04 Fully Charged
Hex: 0x32
Decimal: 50
Is that both? And how much can a fresh shield stand. Does it vary from character to character?
What about Marth's tipper?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Fresh shields have 50 HP (applies to all characters). Marth's SB seems to do the exact same shield damage as Lucina's regardless of tipper, from what I can get out of here.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
The damage of the move applies as well (which makes the fact fully charged is 50 + the 20 odd damage over kill; maybe it ensures shield stance Shulk doesn't nullify the tip for it). I also could be wrong, but shield tick damage is applied in shield stun and/or shield hit lag? So with a bit more damage on the tip from Marth applying + slightly extra stun time results in "more applied shield damage"; maybe.

Last edited:

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
Oh ic. So you don't actually need fully charged SB to break shields. Thanks.

Liyrex

Smash Apprentice
Daein (Or Albany, NY whatever makes more sense)
NNID
Liyrex
3DS FC
3265-5244-3896
Ok. So I dont know how many actual Rosalina mains would be willing to help me out on this. But basically ive lost the last 3 tournaments ive entered to a Rosalina main, shes gone from just a character i did not like to a huge weakness for me. Im a Lucina/Marth main but all of my secondaries (Robin, Pac-Man and Falco) cant seem to do much against her either. Can anybody help me out or provide some tips on how to play more effectively against her in general or what characters have a more favorable match up against her?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Ok. So I dont know how many actual Rosalina mains would be willing to help me out on this. But basically ive lost the last 3 tournaments ive entered to a Rosalina main, shes gone from just a character i did not like to a huge weakness for me. Im a Lucina/Marth main but all of my secondaries (Robin, Pac-Man and Falco) cant seem to do much against her either. Can anybody help me out or provide some tips on how to play more effectively against her in general or what characters have a more favorable match up against her?
That match-up is quite even without customs and in advantage for Lucina with customs as far as I have experienced and observed. First of all, you have to keep in mind that you are fighting Luma first, and Rosalina second. Separate them and use Rosalina's height against her. Walk, don't run. Be patient. Are you playing with customs on or off?

Liyrex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Liyrex
3DS FC
3265-5244-3896
That match-up is quite even without customs and in advantage for Lucina with customs as far as I have experienced and observed. First of all, you have to keep in mind that you are fighting Luma first, and Rosalina second. Separate them and use Rosalina's height against her. Walk, don't run. Be patient. Are you playing with customs on or off?
Off

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
@ Liyrex Liyrex , customs off is trickier. In customs environment Dash Assault works wonders in the match-up but that's beside the point in this case.

Again the important thing is to remember that you are fighting Luma first. Separate them. You have a lot of tools do this with. D-tilt, Dancing Blade, etc. You need to force situations where Rosalina shields. This is where you can take advantage of that and kill Luma (if Rosa shielded while Luma was facing you). Luma will usually not be protected by the shield. Shield Breaker is also good in those situations as you can pressure both Luma and Rosa.

Hm, I think it would be best if you provided any videos of your gameplay against Rosalina. Since you said you faced the Rosalina main in tournament, any chance you have videos? General match-up knowledge could help but analyzing your play-style would be way better.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
No sorry i go to mostly smaller tournaments i could send you some for glory replays (my wii u is out of commission for a bit) or i could play you myself.
That could work. Although Lucina vs. Lucina is a way different match-up than Lucina vs. Rosaluma. I can try out and play Rosa but no guarantees in how I'll do with that character.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
well either way get a sense for my style i guess. I'll add you and likely get rekt but thats cool
I'm guessing on 3DS since you mentioned your Wii U is out of commission? Also, don't assume things! Who knows what could happen :p

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Strats against :4jigglypuff: and how to defeat her? W/customs on I might add. I lost a money match against one some time ago using Lucina and I want revenge! But I do not know the MU very well aside from Shield Breaker killing her if her shield is broken. I could possibly defeat that guy if I used my real main or my real secondary, but I wanna try Lucina again anyway.

Liyrex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Liyrex
3DS FC
3265-5244-3896
Strats against :4jigglypuff: and how to defeat her? W/customs on I might add. I lost a money match against one some time ago using Lucina and I want revenge! But I do not know the MU very well aside from Shield Breaker killing her if her shield is broken. I could possibly defeat that guy if I used my real main or my real secondary, but I wanna try Lucina again anyway.
Interesting i dont have much trouble against her. First off still go for the shield break a competent jiggs will know this and fear the shield breaker and it will mess up their approach. Utilize f tilt and stay on the ground as her aerials will outperform yours. Jiggs is also easy to counter i find as many of her ground based higher damage dealing attacks have long start up times or ques (Pound, Rollout, F smash, b air.) I tend to play more aggressive as well, i don't know if this helps me deal with her but try it out i guess. Hope this helps.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Actually, Marcina is considered to beat us in the air due to their aerials outranging ours. Of course, ours are technically better, but you can keep us out with ease (and proper spacing). A puff Player will spend most, if not almost all, of their time in the air, so keep this is mind for the entire match. Dolphin Slash as a stage spike become very handy in this matchup, because our reliance on jumps means we can't do too much to recover if we get meteored. Other than that, though, blocking your recovery is kind of a cakewalk for us, and you height means we may have an easier time landing our rest setups.

Above alll, remember that Marcina is one of few characters who can challenge Puff in the air.

Last edited:

LabrysXII

Smash Cadet
NNID
LabrysXII
3DS FC
2020-0802-1886
I don't even know what to do any more. I seem to hit a wall when it comes to faster characters like Falcon, Fox, Little Mac, and Sheik. I know spacing is the main thing I need to worry about, among other things. When it comes to other characters, even in mirror matches, I do not seem to have this issue. It's just those kinds of matchups. This killed me in my first tournament as well. If I don't figure things out right away, I'll never improve at this rate. Sorry if I come off as bitter right now, but it's really frustrating to me.

Last edited:

Liyrex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Liyrex
3DS FC
3265-5244-3896
I don't even know what to do any more. I seem to hit a wall when it comes to faster characters like Falcon, Fox, Little Mac, and Sheik. I know spacing is the main thing I need to worry about, among other things. When it comes to other characters, even in mirror matches, I do not seem to have this issue. It's just those kinds of matchups. This killed me in my first tournament as well. If I don't figure things out right away, I'll never improve at this rate. Sorry if I come off as bitter right now, but it's really frustrating to me.
For little mac, gimp like hell. For glory is hard because its always fd but in tournament never go too FD if you can help it. Then grab backthrow off stage bair fair and book you just killed the mac. seriously though dont be afraid to pursue offstage. A lot of macs will either a spam counter or b not be able to react in time.

As for falcon...these matches are a little weird and it always ends up being in the style of huge damage chains. If falcon gets a combo in on you don't get discouraged these matches are often like this. Usually i win the match through a countered smash attack while ill have like 120 and the falcon will have 70 ish. Be patient and if they like to dash grab watch for aerial follow ups and try to counter some of his kill moves that can be easily read. (Up tilt, f smash, up smash, d smash)

As for fox and shiek...yeah that's a tough one i have trouble with the rush down characters too. more so shiek than fox because her neutral game is insane.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Question. So,this ike player jabbed out of my dancing blade after I transition into it from d tilt. Is that really a possibility? Ike's jab out prioritizes dancing blade?

Btw,it's was a wifi match.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
At a lot of percent (especially low), dtilt isn't safe enough on hit to guarantee you a dash (however many frames) + 7 start up. Ike's jab is 3 frames and pretty long range, but you could look at inputting DB earlier as it definitely outranges it and with transcended priority will hit his extending hand.
He can likely shield too, which could be bad though.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
At a lot of percent (especially low), dtilt isn't safe enough on hit to guarantee you a dash (however many frames) + 7 start up. Ike's jab is 3 frames and pretty long range, but you could look at inputting DB earlier as it definitely outranges it and with transcended priority will hit his extending hand.
He can likely shield too, which could be bad though.
Ah,I see.I'm sure it was the lag that also helped aided the ike player in jabbing out to make things worse,but apparently it's a common outcome.Thanks.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
What happens with our tournament results for Lucina? Do they help decide tiers? also @ Locuan Locuan notice my power!! :D
Regarding the first question, I'm unsure. As for your following statement, I'm not sure I follow lol.

EDIT: Nvm, just saw. Good work!

Last edited:

SAX

Smash Ace
How does NEO do that pivot down tilt shown in this video?
https://youtu.be/DpIG06KSi2I

Is it s perfect pivot? Dance trot? Looks more like a dance trot, but I don't know how he would cancel a dash into a down tilt like that.

Also a combo I use a lot is SH Side B (1) > Nair (1) > anything (mainly either utilt/ftilt, jab>grab, jab fsmash, or just fsmash itself) Even to shield breaker if I think they will shield after the nair 1 hit

Last edited:

LabrysXII

Smash Cadet
NNID
LabrysXII
3DS FC
2020-0802-1886
Okay.....On For Glory I realized first hand how annoying of a matchup :4zss: is. In fact, I have trouble against zoning characters in general (like :4link:). I might need some tips against those types of matchups. All I know is that if I go to more tournaments, I'm always going to strike FD (For Glory got me into hating FD lolololololol :shaker:). Yep, I'm VERY salty, I'll admit it. :laugh:

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Lol loucan senpai tortured me as well. I can teach you some stuff too.
It's Locuan not Loucan D:
How does NEO do that pivot down tilt shown in this video?
https://youtu.be/DpIG06KSi2I

Is it s perfect pivot? Dance trot? Looks more like a dance trot, but I don't know how he would cancel a dash into a down tilt like that.

Also a combo I use a lot is SH Side B (1) > Nair (1) > anything (mainly either utilt/ftilt, jab>grab, jab fsmash, or just fsmash itself) Even to shield breaker if I think they will shield after the nair 1 hit
Can you get the time marker for that? It was probably a perfect pivot though.

Liyrex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Liyrex
3DS FC
3265-5244-3896
Okay.....On For Glory I realized first hand how annoying of a matchup :4zss: is. In fact, I have trouble against zoning characters in general (like :4link:). I might need some tips against those types of matchups. All I know is that if I go to more tournaments, I'm always going to strike FD (For Glory got me into hating FD lolololololol :shaker:). Yep, I'm VERY salty, I'll admit it. :laugh:
I too have some trouble with:4zss: but not as much with:4link: basically he has limited options if you're close enough in on him where gale boomerang can be punished. Utilize counter as a lot of his more powerful attacks have long start up times. If he rolls away or starts trying to grab rush him down. as for Zero suit, unless youre dealing with a really good one most will utilize two options, stun and then follow up with grab or dash attack, or stick to the air The first of these is difficult because you have to guess what option theyre going for. Approach from above and use nairs or fair to cover the roll behind watch for the grabs and punish accordingly. if you get grabbed keep the DI Toward her and mash fair.

Top Bottom