• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas Viability

TheEnderFriend

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheEnderFriend3D
3DS FC
0404-7873-6714
Do you think Lucas will be as good as Ness? Will he be used frequently in tournaments, or will he be incredibly low-tier?

My thoughts: I think he'll be as good as Ness. That down-tilt looks menacing.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Do you think Lucas will be as good as Ness? Will he be used frequently in tournaments, or will he be incredibly low-tier?

My thoughts: I think he'll be as good as Ness. That down-tilt looks menacing.
That downthrow BURIES. Think of what possible set ups we'll get~

I still think it's a bit too early to speculate, but he's likely gonna come with a balance patch, just like how Mewtwo is coming with a balance patch, so I bet he'll be viable.

Flamjam

Smash Cadet
NNID
Flamjam
He’s looking great! That tether is looking really good, especially since Ness’s recovery is one of his greatest drawbacks so this will give a nice laugh in the face to gimps.And that burying? Wow! Really hoping, here.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Dtilt can easily combo into Jab.

DThrow followups are always good (Nair).

Uair into PK Thunder, the latter move only getting gimped with either Villager's Pocket or Rosalina's Gravitational Pull instead of hitting someone.

No more grab-release shenanigans.

I think it's a safe bet for Lucas to be a pretty good character in this game.

Super Smash Fanatic

Smash Cadet
NNID
jacg31
3DS FC
0705-3237-7336
From the little we saw I think he's going to better than Ness but harder to learn and use Ex: Ness's down throw is an easy fair combo set up while our down throw is a little more "grounded"

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
From the little we saw I think he's going to better than Ness but harder to learn and use Ex: Ness's down throw is an easy fair combo set up while our down throw is a little more "grounded"
Seems about right to me. The multi-hitting PKT looks really good, the grounding D-Throw has potential, and a nice long tether is great for recovery mixups. Lucas looks high tier from what I can see. Don't think he'll be OP or anything but he does look like a good viable character to me. Don't see him being drastically better than Ness, but slightly better than Ness in this game is a good place to be.

TheEnderFriend

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheEnderFriend3D
3DS FC
0404-7873-6714
Is the "combo" Lucas pulled off on Rosalina with the PKT escapeable? Can someone test this with Ness customs?
If it's inescapable, Lucas will defs have a strong impact in tournaments.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Let's see what pink fresh can do with him. Or mekos

ZarroTsu

Smash Journeyman
Hey if Lucas can recover via tether doesn't that mean he has a Zair? :smirk:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Hey if Lucas can recover via tether doesn't that mean he has a Zair? :smirk:
Yes it does... but he had one in Brawl too. It was just reeeeeeally bad back then.

EDIT: It didn't even have a hitbox, as a matter of fact. No idea if that's true now.

Last edited:

ZarroTsu

Smash Journeyman
In my defense I hardly played Brawl and haven't touched P:M. I was on my way back to edit and speculate that.

How bad was "reeeeeeally bad" before? The range on it looks pretty good from the trailer this time around.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
In my defense I hardly played Brawl and haven't touched P:M. I was on my way back to edit and speculate that.

How bad was "reeeeeeally bad" before? The range on it looks pretty good from the trailer this time around.
The range on it in this game looks great. In Brawl however, it was the shortest tether in the game iirc. I remember being thoroughly unimpressed with it.

EDIT again: Found a photo.

Pretty goddamn terrible for a thether.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
No grab release infinites should help immensely. New ledge mechanics mean the rope snake is a serious recovery option. I wonder if PK Thunder will be transcendent like Ness's Lasting PK Thunder custom. (?) A working zair may be in the cards if ZSS is any indication. Stick is still a reflector but IIRC was faster than Ness's bat in Brawl so was a bit more workable as such. The idea of using dair and bair meteors to bounce people off the ground into usmash has me giddy but IDK if that'll actually work.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I don't know what to think. People thought Robin and Palutena looked good after seeing them thrash people in their trailers. But (in Robin's case) most see Falcon as better. I hope at worse, Lucas is slightly below Ness, and at best, slightly above.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Another thing to consider is that in Smash 4, Ness isn't plagued by the terrible grab delay glitch like in Brawl, so I'd assume the same for Lucas.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I'm worrying that the burying down throw might mean that opponents can immediately act out of escaping like Villager's down smash or DK's forward special

Hammabro

Smash Apprentice
I don't know what to think. People thought Robin and Palutena looked good after seeing them thrash people in their trailers. But (in Robin's case) most see Falcon as better. I hope at worse, Lucas is slightly below Ness, and at best, slightly above.

Honestly no offence but if you still think base Palutena is bad then you have no idea what that character is capable of. She's not top 10 but definitely a very solid pick.

TearsforFears

Smash Cadet
NNID
TearsForFears
3DS FC
5472-6632-5877
After I lost Lucas, Zelda became my main again. If I can main Zelda I can sure as hell main Lucas.

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
I think he would be a great his down throw could lead to a lot of setups now that it buries. I'll have to wait and see what else he has before I make anymore comments on tiers and such.

ItsZyker

Smash Rookie
NNID
ItsZyker
Everyone probs noticed this, but no one mentioned it. Lucas's Up B in 2v2 can put you teammate out of Free Fall with doing little to no knockback/hitstun.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
No grab release BS alone will do him wonders, I feel.

TheEnderFriend

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheEnderFriend3D
3DS FC
0404-7873-6714
Everyone probs noticed this, but no one mentioned it. Lucas's Up B in 2v2 can put you teammate out of Free Fall with doing little to no knockback/hitstun.
That's... actually really clever. I will defininitly use that in the future.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
Keep in mind, we've barely seen the tip of the iceberg but I fear his burying d-throw will end up like Wii Fit Trainer's: looks promising, but ends up being not very useful. We don't know how reliably it combos.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Trust me, Lucas is going to have his bread and butter, too, just like every other character does in this game. You've already been conditioned by Ness' set up. He could be better than Ness, but he looked better than Ness in Brawl and wasn't if I recall correctly. I feel this character will be more combo oriented than Ness, which if this is true, it's something I'm going to envy to the point I may have to give Lucas Ness' customs and use him instead. D;

By the way, his d-throw buries? I totally missed that. Looks like Lucas has PK Ground. :D

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Honestly no offence but if you still think base Palutena is bad then you have no idea what that character is capable of. She's not top 10 but definitely a very solid pick.
She certainly isn't as good as her trailer portrays her, as that's my point. I'm not going to disagree with you. Robin's case is even more prominent as people did think he'd be really good. He's not terrible, but he's not even above Falcon (most people believe this), even though Falcon was jobbing to him in the trailer.

I'm not trying to argue if a character is good or not, I'm saying some characters don't end up as good as the trailers they debut in make them out to be. That's why I believe I can't make a fair assessment on this as for all we know, Lucas could be top 4 or even bottom. Most tend to not believe he's in the bottom (I don't believe he is either but I can't confirm because I have no proof).

Hammabro

Smash Apprentice
Luckily this game does not have any really over-bearing top tiers that shut down the majority of the cast. Diddy Kong is difficult to deal with but he's not meta knight or melee top 5. There's a lot of room to work with in this game and Ness is still widely considered one of the best characters in this game (top 15). I expect Lucas to fall somewhere between top 8-15. I don't think he'll crack top 5 but I am confident that he'll be better than ness in certain situations (and ness will be better than him in others). Tether recovery is one example of Lucas having more potential off-stage.

Pepto

Smash Cadet
Yes it does... but he had one in Brawl too. It was just reeeeeeally bad back then.

EDIT: It didn't even have a hitbox, as a matter of fact. No idea if that's true now.
Lucas had a great tether in Brawl. Pivot grabs had huge range and minimal lag, and tethering the ledge has pretty deceptive range. Plus it autocancels any landing lag. If it still does in 4, you can short hop air dodge and zair to remove the ridiculous landing lag after air dodge, which makes his mobility a lot safer. That's how I moved around in Brawl to work around his mediocre dash and avoid tripping.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Lucas had a great tether in Brawl. Pivot grabs had huge range and minimal lag, and tethering the ledge has pretty deceptive range. Plus it autocancels any landing lag. If it still does in 4, you can short hop air dodge and zair to remove the ridiculous landing lag after air dodge, which makes his mobility a lot safer. That's how I moved around in Brawl to work around his mediocre dash and avoid tripping.
Keep in mind that "tether" and "grab" aren't the same thing. Lucas' grab was perfectly fine, it's just that I found his tether lacking. Admittedly the autocancel feature was great, but the fact that it lacked a hitbox and had a super short range made it not overall exceptional for recovery and spacing purposes imo, which most tethers are used for. Then again, you say the range was "deceptive" so you may have had a better experience with it than I have, I dunno.

Professional_Bird

Smash Rookie
NNID
ParkerAtriumEDM
That downthrow BURIES. Think of what possible set ups we'll get~

I still think it's a bit too early to speculate, but he's likely gonna come with a balance patch, just like how Mewtwo is coming with a balance patch, so I bet he'll be viable.
I feel like he's gonna be like Ness with better physical combat than ness. Which would be super cool

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I wonder if anyone is near lucas when he is d throwing an opponent that they will get burried too, as some throws have thier own hitbox that can hit other players.

In smash 4 if you air dodge> tether, you still get the landing lag from air dodging. It's better to Zair directly.

Last edited:

D_D

Smash Rookie
NNID
dillondavis32
I think something that will make him great is his burying down throw. Could use that time to combo into basically any aerial. I'm wondering at this point if the opponent will stay in the ground long enough so that maybe Lucas could pull off an up smash. That would make him insane.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
If he can dthrow into usmash, the game is won. Lucas' usmash is terrifying.

I have nothing more to say.

Last edited:

Fabolous Golden Falcon

Smash Rookie
Ness recieved a huge buff in Smash 4, so I'm assuming Lucas will recieve the same treatment. I think it's a little early to talk about his viability though, seeing as we've only seen about 40 seconds of gameplay.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Ness feels worse to me in 4 than he did in Brawl, honestly. Maybe I just couldn't stand to look at him since Lucas was gone, and it was all in my head.

Anyway, Lucas is going to be as viable as you make him.

Drippy

Smash Ace
Ness feels worse to me in 4 than he did in Brawl, honestly. Maybe I just couldn't stand to look at him since Lucas was gone, and it was all in my head.

Anyway, Lucas is going to be as viable as you make him.
Aren't the reasons why Ness is stronger in this game because SDI became weaker (thus making PK Fire better?) and the fact that his recovery improved like ten tons?

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
I've never not been able to DI out of PK Fire, but at the same time, I've never been hit directly with it, especially not from above. I need to play better Ness players. As for his recovery, everyone's recovery improved. Ness' is still one of the more gimpable recoveries in the game, going to be more so now that Lucas is back and I can do douche things like running out and magneting the thunder/shooting thunder with thunder.

Honestly the only thing making Ness feel better in this is his now go to fair fair fair into thunder2. Everything else about him feels trashier.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I mean Ness is literally top tier in Smash 4 xD If Lucas is just as good, thatll be scary xD

Drippy

Smash Ace
I've never not been able to DI out of PK Fire, but at the same time, I've never been hit directly with it, especially not from above. I need to play better Ness players. As for his recovery, everyone's recovery improved. Ness' is still one of the more gimpable recoveries in the game, going to be more so now that Lucas is back and I can do douche things like running out and magneting the thunder/shooting thunder with thunder.

Honestly the only thing making Ness feel better in this is his now go to fair fair fair into thunder2. Everything else about him feels trashier.
That's true about recovering, on the other hand I haven't played Brawl since like 2012 so I can't really say how Ness was including I used to literally think Ness was the hardest character in the game (as a casual) because I thought you couldn't recover with him.

Top Bottom