• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas shield breaker ?

Powda

Smash Apprentice
I'm throwing this out there to have some higher end Lucas players test this out.

My friends mainly play higher tier characters and they play defensively. I recently discovered a way to break their shields consistently and they are fairly annoyed by it but i wanted to know if it's just them being nubs and shielding at wrong times.

This is what I do. If they are playing defesively, namely shield grabbing alot, I will full hop nair into their shield(start the nair at their shield duh) and make sure I land behind them. If you test this out make sure it's a perfect nair with no lag time, so perfectly cancelled. During my land animation I tap my joystick towards them then downsmash via the c-stick(Yes i stopped B-sticking and i love it). Most of the time their shield will break or they will let their shield go cause they know it's about to break. The other half of the time they try to hit me but phail since I nair cancelled perfectly.

So recap, full hop, they shield in anticipation of a frontal attack, nair and land behind them, during land animation tap joystick towards them and down c-stick so the down smash will be on top of them. It generally pushes them back a little but since you landed right next to them they take the full effect of it and their shield will break or they go flying.

Try this out in your matches and let me know how it goes, my smash circle hates Lucas.

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
Pretty sure they can punish that. It may work as a mixup to the usual antics, but it is possible to punish with grabs, Up-B's OoS and other stuff.

Irsic

Smash Ace
Yeah, dsmash is the best move for breaking shields as it pretty much never shield pokes, and is 3 big hits on a shield.

Though this is punishable because of how long it takes dsmash to come out. Like 20 frames I believe.

c3gill

Smash Ace
yea.... Marth Dolphin Slash OoS ***** this. MK SLoop would as well, and G&W would up B Out of shield also.

not a bad idea, but be careful the characters you try this against.

Powda

Smash Apprentice
Thx for the input as always boys, I'll keep it as an occasional arsenal mindgame.

Levitas

the moon
This exactly how guard crushes work in other games. Train your opponent to keep blocking after nair because of jabs, and by the time they want to react to the dsmash, they'll either be too late and get hit, or suffer a lot of shield damage.

How much shield does it take away?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
It doesn't shield break when they have a full shield. This is a very risky tactic for many reasons.

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
i got killed trying that i say bad tech in my game play i play air and ground at the same time if u can do this gud i say lead them in to your shield breaker by playing you d game and PKT 1 the whole match. i play okin and hes all air game HEY! it may really work for you don't give up on it .

Irsic

Smash Ace
It generally pushes them away, but I've had cases where 2 dsmash hits hit. I don't know what causes that.

c3gill

Smash Ace
It generally pushes them away, but I've had cases where 2 dsmash hits hit. I don't know what causes that.
if you time it properly,on moving platforms you can get all 3 hits in. Snot too hard on Smashville.

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
I've gotten two dsmash hits on my friend's Lucario in Halberd when the floating platform lands on the ship, and there's a sort of hole in the ground. The low walls on the left side helped me get the second hit in.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Though this is punishable because of how long it takes dsmash to come out. Like 20 frames I believe.
20 frames? I wouldn't make this a habit then.... Everyone could jump out of the way OoS and if you DID use dsmash you are very open for hurt.

soccerdude7200

Smash Journeyman
this doesnt seem like it would work very often. It's never seemed to me like dsmash really shield pressures enough to break the shield, even after an nair. I think they would have to be abusing their shield alot before you try this for it to break...

Top Bottom