• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lucario Social: Aura Dog Days of Summer

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
Been maining Lucario since day 1 Brawl... but I finally decided to drop him. My week 1 Cloud was more menacing than I ever was with Lucario, and that was so beyond discouraging that I just have no will to play him anymore. I also put 2 weeks into ZSS and feel way more effective with her as well.
Idk... I sorely want to be GOOD with Lucario, but realizing how patient I have to be with him, and how slow and short range most of his important moves are, compared to Cloud & ZSS... I honestly don't know why to bother anymore.
Sorry, Lucario. You'll be in my heart, but not in my roster. :(

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
Rest in spaghetti will soon forgetti.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
Sorry to randomly come in and whine. I really do want to be convinced NOT to drop him. Anyone have recent awesome vids of Lucario players killing it? New ways to bait & punish, or approach? Something?

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
Watch Motsunabe's lucario.

He's my reference for Optimal play w/ the char.

Also ASC is pretty bomb in this game.

More generally speaking, find what you still enjoy with lucario.

I have A LOT of fun fighting villager and lightweight zoning type characters with him still, which is why he hasn't been trashed for me

Also I remember you TK orz

Last edited:

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
Sorry to randomly come in and whine. I really do want to be convinced NOT to drop him. Anyone have recent awesome vids of Lucario players killing it? New ways to bait & punish, or approach? Something?
Please watch all of these. Motsunabe's Lucario is downright disgusting (in the best way)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nQdUhwxBMw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXQHg_N7Jh0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0K_efsHFF4

This tourney he got 3rd, only losing to Choco twice and beating Nietono 3-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsQJYXfaNhU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs_zy3Mv_uY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f82nhEfIDM

This tourney he won the whole damn thing, going all Lucario after losing to KEN's Sonic as Ryu and beating Rain in LF's then bracket resetting then 2-0ing KEN's Sonic. All Lucario.

Also in Mexico, Serge beats MK Leo in Winner's Finals going Lucario (MK Leo is basically the Zero of Mexico)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xecoMhVFiAo

Serge also 3-0'd Hyuga in Grand Finals (The Toon Link who beat Nario at Genesis and got 9th)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_GBqH99beI

Loota also just recently won a Finnish tourney and had a really long (but great to watch) set vs an Ike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmhjjGRHvEc

I really hope this convinces you otherwise. You've mained him for almost 8 years now from what it seems and it would suck for you to drop him after all this time.

Last edited:

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
I really wonder if they ran into any Fox or Marios.
Yeah, cuz those's MU's are definitely completely and utterly hopeless, right?!

It's not like if you're a better player or anything you'll still win, right?!

We should just all give up playing Smash if we're not Sheik because unless we have no losing MU's it's hopeless to even TRY to believe we can place ANYWHERE with a character, right?!

It's not like this game is balanced to a point where the worst MU's aren't even as bad as previous smash iterations and are at least doable, right?!

But, nope. Because apparently Lucario has a bad MU against Fox and Mario (even though those MU's are 60-40 at their worst), you have the gall to assume that IF they had ran into ANY Fox or Marios, regardless of their skill level, they wouldn't have gotten top 3 at huge events with all sorts of top players where they managed to beat really really solid players in MU's that aren't in Lucario's favor. (Diddy, Sheik, Cloud, MK)

How dare you.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
Lol its been over a year and you guys still put up with that trash talk and negativity. Why waste your time even replying to it.

Croi

Smash Lord
Yeah, cuz those's MU's are definitely completely and utterly hopeless, right?!

It's not like if you're a better player or anything you'll still win, right?!

We should just all give up playing Smash if we're not Sheik because unless we have no losing MU's it's hopeless to even TRY to believe we can place ANYWHERE with a character, right?!

It's not like this game is balanced to a point where the worst MU's aren't even as bad as previous smash iterations and are at least doable, right?!

But, nope. Because apparently Lucario has a bad MU against Fox and Mario (even though those MU's are 60-40 at their worst), you have the gall to assume that IF they had ran into ANY Fox or Marios, regardless of their skill level, they wouldn't have gotten top 3 at huge events with all sorts of top players where they managed to beat really really solid players in MU's that aren't in Lucario's favor. (Diddy, Sheik, Cloud, MK)

How dare you.
Settle down, Beavis

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
Spare me the holier than thou post.

And to put it shortly, I'm saying if they ran into those characters of equal skill, chances are they wouldn't be sitting in top 3 if going solo Lucario.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
> yfw when Motsunabe subs Ryu

He's got those two MUs covered

I wouldn't know if lucario is solo main viable tbh

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
> yfw when Motsunabe subs Ryu

He's got those two MUs covered

I wouldn't know if lucario is solo main viable tbh
Honestly here's my 2 cents. It all depends on what you mean by "solo-viable"

If by solo-viable you mean you're able to become a top-threat in your region solo-maining Lucario, then he is definitely solo-viable. Lucario players such as Sunny, Steam (until he retired), Day, and Loota are all top players in their region and can perform really well in their state and can have good results out of state as well if they are able to travel.

If by solo-viable you mean being able to top 8 a National by going only Lucario, it's definitely hard but not outside the realm of possibilities. We have come close to having Lucario in top 8 of a national before as well as have Lucario players place top 32 at most nationals. We had Kami get 13th at CEO and 5th at LTC (which was basically a super-regional). We also had Day get 17th at MLG worlds in singles and 5th in doubles. Also Shiny managed to place well at Pax Prime and even take a game off of Zero.

The point I'm making is that it's very possible that we could get top 8 at a national going solo Lucario. If characters around our spot on the tier placement can get top 8 at nationals (like how iStudying just recently got 2nd at Beast using only Greninja who has an extremely bad MU against Sheik), then we definitely have the potential to place top 8 at a national, hell, maybe even top 4. Who knows.

Although imo, this game is balanced enough to where unless you character is like complete bottom 10 ass tier, it's possible someone could top 8 a national with them if they are good enough.

Or I'm just an over-optimist that wants to git gud. I dunno

(Bleh, idek why I even wrote this much. I get bored and distracted too easily)

JohnnstR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JohnnstR
Steam is like top 1% in league ranks. Don't hate.

edit: Top 0.3%

edit 2: #3000 some NA

Last edited:

AureusVulpes

Triforce of AURA
So I went to my first local tournament this weekend. Went Lucario all the way since I have the most experience with him out of the characters I play.

First round I got put against one of the usual semi-finalists, so I got bodied by his Cpt. Falcon, but I did surprise him a few times and even took a stock each match, so I dont feel bad at all.

First round in Losers I bodied a Link, then had a super close loss against a Shulk. Overall, I learned some of my weaknesses and now I have a month to lab those bad tendencies out of my system and lab some good ones in before I give it another go. Also, I had fun.

JohnnstR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JohnnstR
This just in: Steam is now top .2% in NA, standing at around #2000 (league of legends)

WarTubaFox

Smash Rookie
NNID
WarTubaFox
Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Been maining Lucario since day 1 Brawl... but I finally decided to drop him. My week 1 Cloud was more menacing than I ever was with Lucario, and that was so beyond discouraging that I just have no will to play him anymore. I also put 2 weeks into ZSS and feel way more effective with her as well.
Idk... I sorely want to be GOOD with Lucario, but realizing how patient I have to be with him, and how slow and short range most of his important moves are, compared to Cloud & ZSS... I honestly don't know why to bother anymore.
Sorry, Lucario. You'll be in my heart, but not in my roster. :(
It's understandable!

Sometimes you find other characters that just work for ya better.

edit:

Look at the videos posted, they help a lot.

If not try and see what you think you might need work on and look into that.

Last edited:

Croi

Smash Lord
It's understandable!

Sometimes you find other characters that just work for ya better.
To corroborate: I was determined to main Lucario when Sakurai showed off his buffed recovery in the 50 Facts Extravaganza. And I stuck with him for a long time!

When Duck Hunt was first announced, I was actually really salty because it should have been Ridley, not some joke character. The dog was practically an antagonist in Duck Hunt.

Then I used Duck Hunt a couple of times and whoops, he's my main and now I'm winning regionals.

One of the best things about Smash is that there's a character for everybody. If you stick with Lucario, you'll get good with him, but sometimes the character chooses you, not the other way around.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
To corroborate: I was determined to main Lucario when Sakurai showed off his buffed recovery in the 50 Facts Extravaganza. And I stuck with him for a long time!

When Duck Hunt was first announced, I was actually really salty because it should have been Ridley, not some joke character. The dog was practically an antagonist in Duck Hunt.

Then I used Duck Hunt a couple of times and whoops, he's my main and now I'm winning regionals.

One of the best things about Smash is that there's a character for everybody. If you stick with Lucario, you'll get good with him, but sometimes the character chooses you, not the other way around.
Best advice on this topic as well!

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
It's also good to try different characters and stick to them a little while. Since some characters focuses more on a specific strat, mindgame or offense/defense; they can teach you some skills.

Eventually, when you come back to your character of preference, you start to see some opportunities or weakness you weren't aware of in the first place.

As Croi said, sometimes the character chooses you, but if you're decided to learn someone of your liking, keep trying. Just don't block your mind to stick to a specific character (that's why secondaries are good for)

AureusVulpes

Triforce of AURA
So I've been doing some Shoryufloof labbing recently and I think I've got it down pretty well. I think I've also grasped when and when not to try and trap with it now. Can anyone suggest another significant tech to use as Lucario that I should focus on labbing next? I want to learn the most useful/important stuff first and work my way to the more obscure/situational stuff later but I'm not sure what those are.

Top Bottom