• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario Mega Evolution Mechanics

•Col•

Smash Champion
When Charizard Mega Evolved in the trailer, the background was dark, and when Lucario mega evolved, it was normal lighting, so it might not be a final smash.
Background was dark for Mega Charizard because they were playing on the Mario Galaxy stage. (You can see the stars in the background)

But yeah, Little Mac's Final Smash transformation didn't have a dark background either so going by the background doesn't mean anything at this point.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
LMAO.
Lucario's recovery is only going to be a hindrance to those who can't control it.
Trust me. Lucario mains are going to make the distance and speed it travels a benefit, not a hinderance.

We can recover from obscenely high, or ridiculously low, and even bounce the shot off the stage to stop his momentum. It's not difficult to curve a shot in a 180 degree angle. The lucario player even gets to choose what direction Lucario initially wants to launch from in a full 360 radius around him, and with the distance it travels he can take a long time positioning where he wants to be while off the ledge without much risk. Hell, with this, we'll even be able to fly under the stage to the other side if we wanted to on certain stages. Extreme speed now even has a hitbox at the end of it, so the opponent can't even limit where we have to fire like they could in brawl merely by hanging on the stage ledge. It can also be used to cover massive distance on stage too

And if it can still wall-cling or extreme edge hog tech!. Ahh~

This is a huge step up from brawl, and while it may seem initially hard to control, in the long run it offers us many possibility when it comes to recovering in comparison to how limited most linear recoveries are. Yes, it will be kinda nuts like wario-man, but it's not a mechanic that's exclusive to his final smash IF mega lucario is his final smash. It's a mechanic that's forced upon you the more you take damage, so even the most casual of players will be forced to have to use it and learn it to some extent.

Last edited:

Kef

Smash Apprentice
I agree with Sunny, the ridiculously long recovery is probably going to end up being a great tool for Lucario players, instead of a possible threat like it was shown in the Direct.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
What if they gave him a Mega as a final smash so they could give something similar to aura storm to Mewtwo?

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Im not so sure...Serebii says one thing but Sakurai never said that himself so who knows. I would looooove if it wasn't his final smash since he looked epic af in the direct.

Im on brawl right now testing Wario-man. When you get the smash ball it goes dark, but right when you activate Wario-man the screen goes back to normal.
Also same applies with Giga Mac, once he transformed he didn't glow or have the dark sky in the background.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
The notion of mega lucario being when his damage cap is maxed is stupid. that would mean mega lucario is just an indicator and nothing special.
The way sakurai worded it make me think its something else he was like *when he mega lucario his aura is always maxed* So the idea of mega lucario being just aura max is unbelievably underwhelming.
But i would also hate it being a FS though. would would like to see some interesting mechanic behind it.
Like can use it only once a match and it lasts till you die or something. Thats how it works in pokemon.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
We have Rosalina's Luma and Little Mac's power meter, a gimmick that we haven't seen before isn't out of the question.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
It's a little weird that Sakurai didn't tell us that it was a Final Smash, so maybe it's not.
But I also feel like he would have fully explained the mechanic if it wasn't.

Gune

Smash Lord
it could be a FS but why wouldnt sakurai call it a FS? Not to mention with all the balancing sakurai and namco bandai are doing why would they make a FS as underpowered as this, Theres not enough information to make a confirmation on if its a addon to Lucarios existing mechanic or a FS.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
it could be a FS but why wouldnt sakurai call it a FS? Not to mention with all the balancing sakurai and namco bandai are doing why would they make a FS as underpowered as this, Theres not enough information to make a confirmation on if its a addon to Lucarios existing mechanic or a FS.
Well to me it could be Overpowered when lucario FS being Mega Evolution form with no timer. You will just have to return to original form once u get KO'd just like in pokemon.

I can see it being OP getting FS at 0% having max aura.

Gune

Smash Lord
Well to me it could be Overpowered when lucario FS being Mega Evolution form with no timer. You will just have to return to original form once u get KO'd just like in pokemon.

I can see it being OP getting FS at 0% having max aura.
Its under powered because it is somewhat very situational, Let's say Lucario is losing a match He has pretty much full aura boost he gets a smash ball what's the point of using it he's already being beat with the buff anyway, the only time this could be OP is if your beating your opponent and you get it. In hindsight that was the wrong word to use for this as it is both overpowered and underpowered. I guess I meant to say underwhelming, while I like sakurai's enthusiasm with the aura mechanic raising to Max aura for a FS is kinda lack luster when something much better could be done with his mega evo, like a cut scene FS or a combo FS with close combat like Ikes great aether.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Its under powered because it is somewhat very situational, Let's say Lucario is losing a match He has pretty much full aura boost he gets a smash ball what's the point of using it he's already being beat with the buff anyway, the only time this could be OP is if your beating your opponent and you get it. In hindsight that was the wrong word to use for this as it is both overpowered and underpowered. I guess I meant to say underwhelming, while I like sakurai's enthusiasm with the aura mechanic raising to Max aura for a FS is kinda lack luster when something much better could be done with his mega evo, like a cut scene FS or a combo FS with close combat like Ikes great aether.
ok so clearly your right, which means it can't be final smash

Therefore I found another possibility:

Mega evolve "Lucario" will activate at the last stock u have left or within 1 minute of time left, if there's timer instead of stock.
I thought of this because so far lucario is the type of character where the more danger he is in, the more powerfull he gets.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
ok so clearly your right, which means it can't be final smash

Therefore I found another possibility:

Mega evolve "Lucario" will activate at the last stock u have left or within 1 minute of time left, if there's timer instead of stock.
I thought of this because so far lucario is the type of character where the more danger he is in, the more powerfull he gets.
I mentioned exactly what you said in the OP. It is the only reasonable thing I could come up with if his mega evolution were to be a gameplay mechanic as opposed to a final smash. I personally would prefer it like that since it still seems fair...to a degree. It just means that Lucario's last stock would be extremely difficult to take down and any decently competent user of him could come back and possibly win with max aura at 0%.... especially since they buffed his aura mechanic!

Could be a balancing act tho too. If every character has some overpowered feature about them (for ex: Little Macs 1HKO mechanic) then no one is truly overpowered and there is genuine balance due to everyone being extremely good with their own advantages/ disadvantages.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
I mentioned exactly what you said in the OP. It is the only reasonable thing I could come up with if his mega evolution were to be a gameplay mechanic as opposed to a final smash. I personally would prefer it like that since it still seems fair...to a degree. It just means that Lucario's last stock would be extremely difficult to take down and any decently competent user of him could come back and possibly win with max aura at 0%.... especially since they buffed his aura mechanic!

Could be a balancing act tho too. If every character has some overpowered feature about them (for ex: Little Macs 1HKO mechanic) then no one is truly overpowered and there is genuine balance due to everyone being extremely good with their own advantages/ disadvantages.
Sounds like Project m about everyone having an overpowered feature. In my eyes.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
I think it's something you have to charge.

Tap taunt button, taunt.
Hold down the taunt button

Charge, at end of charge, Mega evolve.

it's not click and boom insta mega, you have to charge it, maybe something like Lucas' B in PM for example.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
This is what StarCraft 2 should have been.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I think I just found something that has pretty big implications.

At 20:58 on the Direct, it is pretty much confirmed that Lucario's Mega Evolution is timed. You can notice this by carefully watching Lucario's model randomly start to blink rapidly, much like other Final Smash transformations( I recommend watching the tip of his "dreadlocks"). So it won't last until he dies. If I were to guess, I'd bet it was his Final Smash, simply because it was shown in close succession with Greninja's Final Smash and it behaves similar to other FS transformations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xUWnQu2Grs&t=20m52s

Just something I noticed.

Gune

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I think I just found something that has pretty big implications.

At 20:58 on the Direct, it is pretty much confirmed that Lucario's Mega Evolution is timed. You can notice this by carefully watching Lucario's model randomly start to blink rapidly, much like other Final Smash transformations( I recommend watching the tip of his "dreadlocks"). So it won't last until he dies. If I were to guess, I'd bet it was his Final Smash, simply because it was shown in close succession with Greninja's Final Smash and it behaves similar to other FS transformations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xUWnQu2Grs&t=20m52s

Just something I noticed.
Great observation to say the least but I think you were tricked, at 20:58 there was a flash there which looks like he was blinking but it was the AS on his right side flashing through his body, when he uses Force palm he blinks again but in blue which is just another effect of Force palm, Ill try taking a closer look at it to see if I'm wrong since Lucario is pretty flashy.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
Great observation to say the least but I think you were tricked, at 20:58 there was a flash there which looks like he was blinking but it was the AS on his right side flashing through his body, when he uses Force palm he blinks again but in blue which is just another effect of Force palm, Ill try taking a closer look at it to see if I'm wrong since Lucario is pretty flashy.

Thanks, but I highly doubt I'm being tricked by anything. Mega Lucario is standing still doing nothing the entire time, then inexplicably blinks at 20:58. For 5 whole seconds, there's no blinking, on the 6th second he blinks. I don't see how it could be an Aura Sphere or anything else when there is nothing at all happening. He's not doing a move, he's standing there.

Start from 20:52, as I linked, and end at 20:58; I'm not talking about when he's using moves.

Gune

Smash Lord
Thanks, but I highly doubt I'm being tricked by anything. Mega Lucario is standing still doing nothing the entire time, then inexplicably blinks at 20:58. For 5 whole seconds, there's no blinking, on the 6th second he blinks. I don't see how it could be an Aura Sphere or anything else when there is nothing at all happening. He's not doing a move, he's standing there.

Start from 20:52, as I linked, and end at 20:58; I'm not talking about when he's using moves.
Alright I see it now I thought you saw the blinking at 20:58 and onward, ounce great observation now down to the real question.... is it a under powered FS or a overpowered Guage mechanic? I really hope its the latter.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
Alright I see it now I thought you saw the blinking at 20:58 and onward, ounce great observation now down to the real question.... is it a under powered FS or a overpowered Guage mechanic? I really hope its the latter.
Seems like underpowered FS but I wouldn't worry too much because it seems that everyone's FS are nerfed equally. Rosalina and ESPECIALLY Villager's FS can prove that as well.

Gune

Smash Lord
Seems like underpowered FS but I wouldn't worry too much because it seems that everyone's FS are nerfed equally. Rosalina and ESPECIALLY Villager's FS can prove that as well.
I wouldn't say that every ones FS is getting nerfed as a lot of people have FS's that are actually very powerful with lots of potential it seems rosalinas and villager have good ones too, Rosalinas has with massive stage control and Villager can probably blow people to kingdom come at higher percents they all have potential to be a major threat if used right, While Lucarios doesent have any potential, Unless its getting invincibility or you do some kind of attack first then change then I'm going to be very dissapointing with him being screwed over in that catagory again unless its confirmed to not be his FS.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Perhaps there is a somewhat of a tradeoff - Once hit peak aura power (let's say 200%) You may taunt to charge it, transforming into it. In trade, you must constantly hit your opponent to stay in the foe. Losing hits for more than a few seconds will make you lose it, and the sheer raw aura power causes his damage to creep higher and higher as long as he is in this form. Can be initiated multiple times per match but only one per stock. Thoughts?

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say that every ones FS is getting nerfed as a lot of people have FS's that are actually very powerful with lots of potential it seems rosalinas and villager have good ones too, Rosalinas has with massive stage control and Villager can probably blow people to kingdom come at higher percents they all have potential to be a major threat if used right, While Lucarios doesent have any potential, Unless its getting invincibility or you do some kind of attack first then change then I'm going to be very dissapointing with him being screwed over in that catagory again unless its confirmed to not be his FS.
The flashing thing has convinced me enough that it's indeed his FS. Wario Man have the exact same thing going on for his FS in Brawl.

Just something I noticed and realized, Lucario managed to push Wii Fit (presumably starting with 0%) off the stage with JUST TWO MOVES. The third move is large force palm and I think if she was grabbed instead she'd be dead. Seems as powerful as Wario Man and has projectiles as a trade off to fast-paced moves to keep distinct between Mega Lucario and Wario Man. I'm not sure about invincibility though...

Seems like I miscalculated his FS as underpowered FS.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
The Miiverse post today confirmed that Charizard's mega-evolution is in fact its final smash.....which basically confirms Lucario's mega-evolution as the same.

"And here's Mega Charizard X. This will appear as Charizard's Final Smash."

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
The Miiverse post today confirmed that Charizard's mega-evolution is in fact its final smash...basically confirms Lucario's mega-evolution as the same.

"And here's Mega Charizard X. This will appear as Charizard's Final Smash
While I believe its just his Final Smash, the key detail here again is the lighting. Zard X both times has appeared with the Final Smash lighting darkening the stage, yet everytime weve seen Lucario the stage lighting has been normal. To early to write off the possibility his isnt a final smash.

Last edited:

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
The Miiverse post today confirmed that Charizard's mega-evolution is in fact its final smash.....which basically confirms Lucario's mega-evolution as the same.

"And here's Mega Charizard X. This will appear as Charizard's Final Smash."
And it appears it'll be a rip-off of WarioMan/Super Sonic (since it's going to be a timed Final Smash, just like those 2 Final Smashes).

As expected most of us knew Lucario's Final Smash was going to be his Mega evolution form (it was only a matter of time before Sakurai dropped this image).

Thereby if Mewtwo returns (that's if he's really back), then Y will be his Final Smash (if they keep him as a lightweight).

Last edited:

lightdasher

Smash Lord
And it appears it'll be a rip-off of WarioMan/Super Sonic (since it's going to be a timed Final Smash, just like those 2 Final Smashes).

As expected most of us knew Lucario's Final Smash was going to be his Mega evolution form (it was only a matter of time before Sakurai dropped this image).

Thereby if Mewtwo returns (that's if he's really back), then Y will be his Final Smash (if they keep him as a lightweight).
"Mega Lucario is Lucarios final smash! this image of a character who isn't Lucario proves it"

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
"Mega Lucario is Lucarios final smash! this image of a character who isn't Lucario proves it"
Come on now, you cannot possibly believe that CharX is a final smash but Megalucario is not. That's just over thinking it. If you take it as black and white then there is no reason for Mega Lucario to not be a final smash. In the direct it showed Mega Lucario>CharX>Greninja final smash. This pic of the day puts the final nail in the coffin imo. It's fine to be optimistic but we gotta be realistic here.

While I believe its just his Final Smash, the key detail here again is the lighting. Zard X both times has appeared with the Final Smash lighting darkening the stage, yet everytime weve seen Lucario the stage lighting has been normal. To early to write off the possibility his isnt a final smash.
I do agree that that is strange...I just don't see Sakurai making CharX a final smash but not Mega-Lucario. Even if MegaLucario somehow was not Lucario's final smash, why would he make one Pokemon have the ability to mega evolve outside of the smashball while another cannot. That goes against his whole "balancing" efforts he's made in this game up to now. The darker lighting could just be exclusive to CharX to make it more dramatic..

Last edited by a moderator:

Gune

Smash Lord
In no way does this prove Mega Lucario is a FS, it actually kinda makes it less likely to be so as sakurai didn't mention Lucarios being a FS at all which I'm sure he would mention atleast. I'm actually curious to see if my theory of a Mega evolution transformation meter is correct so far it seems possible
Come on now, you cannot possibly believe that CharX is a final smash but Megalucario is not. That's just over thinking it. If you take it as black and white then there is no reason for Mega Lucario to not be a final smash. In the direct it showed Mega Lucario>CharX>Greninja final smash. This pic of the day puts the final nail in the coffin imo. It's fine to be optimistic but we gotta be realistic here.
Honestly it isn't proven till sakurai says so, one persons FS doesent confirm another's, not to mention that charizard has its background darkend in both instances its shown while Lucario's doesent, if they were both mega evo's you would think they would have the same visual effect but they don't. Not to mention Lucario's was still just mentioned as "mega evolution" and not "Final smash: Mega evolution" basically there is something else behind Lucarios Mega Evolution and I don't know what it is but all this vague info on his FS definitely is hinting that there is more to it than we think.
I do agree that that is strange...I just don't see Sakurai making CharX a final smash but not Mega-Lucario. Even if MegaLucario somehow was not Lucario's final smash, why would he make one Pokemon have the ability to mega evolve outside of the smashball while another cannot. That goes against his whole "balancing" efforts he's made in this game up to now. The darker lighting could just be exclusive to CharX to make it more dramatic..
If Lucario didnt have ME as a FS it would still be balanced as apparently all Lucarios FS does is raise to Max aura and nothing else while charizards could have infi flying or super armour/invincibillity heightened attack or all of the above, so we can't make that assupmtion till we see more of mega charizard or mega Lucario.

Last edited:

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
In no way does this prove Mega Lucario is a FS, it actually kinda makes it less likely to be so as sakurai didn't mention Lucarios being a FS at all which I'm sure he would mention atleast. I'm actually curious to see if my theory of a Mega evolution transformation meter is correct so far it seems possible

Honestly it isn't proven till sakurai says so, one persons FS doesent confirm another's, not to mention that charizard has its background darkend in both instances its shown while Lucario's doesent, if they were both mega evo's you would think they would have the same visual effect but they don't. Not to mention Lucario's was still just mentioned as "mega evolution" and not "Final smash: Mega evolution" basically there is something else behind Lucarios Mega Evolution and I don't know what it is but all this vague info on his FS definitely is hinting that there is more to it than we think.
If Lucario didnt have ME as a FS it would still be balanced as apparently all Lucarios FS does is raise to Max aura and nothing else while charizards could have infi flying or super armour/invincibillity heightened attack or all of the above, so we can't make that assupmtion till we see more of mega charizard or mega Lucario.
I actually agree with that, solid points! It is true that we have not seen CharX attack yet so we don't know if his moveset changes while Mega Lucario only has max aura, which would be quite underwhelming as a FS. I'm all for Mega Lucario not being a final smash so any reasonable doubt is welcoming.

Johnny Wellens

Smash Apprentice
My feeling matches that of others, that it's a peak aura transformation. Seeing as there are technically no transformations in the game (I.E. Down+B) that it will be a quick little flash. It would make sense to not over glorify the transformation as you could potentially reach it once per stock and it could get annoying dealing with it 4 - 5 times per match.

Astronut

Smash Apprentice
The main reason that has me thinking that it isn't a final smash is this: In the direct they mentioned that Mega Lucario is Lucario at max aura. If this is true, then what's the point of getting the smash ball if you're at max aura already?

Top Bottom